Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,279 members, 7,807,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:09 PM

Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. (47265 Views)

Gattuso Warns Napoli Fans Over Osimhen Expectation, Says We Have Not Signed Pele / J J Okocha And Ronaldinho Caught Up At Airport Waiting Wing(photos,video) / How True Is Pele And The Nigerian Civil War Story? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by naptu2: 6:14am On Jun 15, 2017
This is what I remember about the movie that Sugar Ray starred in.

What I remember about the movie was that he was a boxer who had nothing, but he worked his way up from grass to grace. He became rich and successful and then he started misbehaving. In one scene, his wife, who had followed him from grass to grace, walked in on him having an orgy with many girls. Then he lost everything and had to rediscover himself.

Anybody that remembers the name of the movie should please put me out of my misery and tell me.
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by naptu2: 4:05pm On Jun 15, 2017
Caveatemptor:

Was he in that jail film "Penitentiary"?

grin grin grin

You won't believe this. I asked an old friend if he remembers the movie that I'm searching for and he's convinced that I'm referring to Body And Soul (1981). I've cross checked online and I think he's right, but guess what. . . Leon Isaac Kennedy was also the star of that movie, not Sugar Ray Leonard.

They really do look alike.

Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by Caveatemptor(m): 9:26pm On Jun 19, 2017
naptu2:

grin grin grin

You won't believe this. I asked an old friend if he remembers the movie that I'm searching for and he's convinced that I'm referring to Body And Soul (1981). I've cross checked online and I think he's right, but guess what. . . Leon Isaac Kennedy was also the star of that movie, not Sugar Ray Leonard.

They really do look alike.

I also used to mix them up. Maybe because the film Penitentiary came out when Sugar Ray was on top of the boxing game and Leon Kennedy was one of the top Negro actors of that period.
The do look so alike though .
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by naptu2: 7:15am On Aug 15, 2018
Yes! They are bringing back the Lagos Open!

I have just heard that the Lagos Governor's Cup, which is an ITF Futures tournament is going to be transformed into the Lagos Open, which will be an ATP Challenge tournament.
Re: Throwback: When Pele And Arthur Ashe Were Caught Up In A Nigerian Coup. by jimcaddy(m): 12:34am On Jan 03, 2023
Nigeria was very hot those days. And up till now, still hot. Like when will all these insecurity be over? If they ever will be. I can imagine how Lagos looked like them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

List Of African Footballers Who Died From Cardiac Arrests (Nigerians Top List) / Chelsea Fan Dies In Ghana After Barcelona Defeat (Photo) / Serena Williams Cries After Losing Wimbledon Final To Angelique Kerber (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.