Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car (1052 Views)

How God Saved Me From Kazeemizing My Engine/buying New Engine / How Often Should I Change My Engine Oil / My Engine Goes Off When A/C Is Switched On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by aiotaq: 6:36pm On Jun 12, 2017
I don't know if this is big problem, some weeks ago when I drove across 3rd mainland bridge and it was raining heavily, just that same evening I start seeing "engine check" appearing on my dashboard.

I left that after two weeks now I noticed that each time I start the car in the morning or after I close from work the engine idle hit 2 then drop to 1.5 this will stay up at 1.5 for about 2 to 3minutes before dropping to 1, unlike before.

But once it has start moving it remain normal even if i stop and start engine.

Please house what should i do about this.

Car model: Pontiac vibe 2004

Thank you.
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by thebigkendo(m): 10:31am On Jun 13, 2017
aiotaq:
I don't know if this is big problem, some weeks ago when I drove across 3rd mainland bridge and it was raining heavily, just that same evening I start seeing "engine check" appearing on my dashboard.

I left that after two weeks now I noticed that each time I start the car in the morning or after I close from work the engine idle hit 2 then drop to 1.5 this will stay up at 1.5 for about 2 to 3minutes before dropping to 1, unlike before.

Thank you.

Scan the car and post MIL code here, let the gurus help you Cc Honmusa AutoElectNG kingreign mayor2013
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by aiotaq: 3:47pm On Jun 13, 2017
thebigkendo:

Scan the car and post MIL code here, let the gurus help you Cc Honmusa AutoElectNG kingreign mayor2013

Thank you for the response.

I now removed the battery head and place it back which make the check light to stop.

Although I friend of mine that I gave the car said he scan it but nothing dicted I don't how, are you suggesting I should rescan again or....
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by watchworldpro: 3:52pm On Jun 13, 2017
aiotaq:

Thank you.
High engine idle is normal in the morning or anytime u start the car from cold start. It drops gradually after a few minutes. However, scan your car for the fault code for the check engine.
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by almsofgold: 8:06pm On Jun 13, 2017
Has the thermostat been removed? This is a major cause of high rpm that takes long to normalise
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by thebigkendo(m): 8:13pm On Jun 13, 2017
aiotaq:

Thank you for the response.

I now removed the battery head and place it back which make the check light to stop.

Although I friend of mine that I gave the car said he scan it but nothing dicted I don't how, are you suggesting I should rescan again or....

Since you disconnected the battery, the ECU will reset, no code with show up till after some drive cycles if the fault is still there, the check engine light will come up again. Then you can scan.. NB Check engine light always comes up with a code, maybe your friend used a DIY scanner which can't read all codes
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by jaychubi: 8:50pm On Jun 13, 2017
aiotaq:

Thank you.

I see nothing wrong here a cold engine usually idles high
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by aiotaq: 10:58pm On Jun 13, 2017
watchworldpro:

High engine idle is normal in the morning or anytime u start the car from cold start. It drops gradually after a few minutes. However, scan your car for the fault code for the check engine.

Ohh ok but can I put it on gear and move on or I wait few minutes before putting the gear? Or nothing wrong if after starting the car few seconds I pull the gear and move on....
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by watchworldpro: 1:10pm On Jun 14, 2017
aiotaq:

Ohh ok but can I put it on gear and move on or I wait few minutes before putting the gear? Or nothing wrong if after starting the car few seconds I pull the gear and move on....
it's advisable to wait a few minutes before putting it into gear and moving on.

1 Like

Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by watchworldpro: 1:11pm On Jun 14, 2017
aiotaq:

but if kidnappers are after you, carry and car and run grin
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by aiotaq: 7:40pm On Jun 14, 2017
watchworldpro:
it's advisable to wait a few minutes before putting it into gear and moving on.

Oh ok thank you very much
Re: Please Help My Engine Idle Is High When I Start My Car by aiotaq: 8:06pm On Jun 14, 2017
watchworldpro:
but if kidnappers are after you, carry and car and run grin

With full speed... Lol

(1) (Reply)

Whats The Most Unused Accessory In Your Car. / 2017 Audi SQ7 Vs 2003 Grand Cherokee - Guess Who Won The Tug Of War? / Young Boy That Makes Motorcycle And Tricycle In Benue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.