Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,489 members, 7,781,466 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:52 PM

10 Simple But Wrongly Used Phrases - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Simple But Wrongly Used Phrases (380 Views)

Wrongly Used Idiom (most Times) / Phrases You Didn’t Know Came From Boxing... / 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Simple But Wrongly Used Phrases by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 13, 2017
Chances are that you’ve come across some phrases and you’re not sure if they are correctly used.

Well, not to worry because I’ve compiled a list of ten phrases, often misused and their correct use.

As at when due: This should rank at the top of wrong use of phrases by Nigeria. The right thing is: As and when due.

First come, first serve: Mbok, I know you’re Nigeria and can kill for that Saturday owanbe jollof rice, but next time, tell that waiter if it would be shared on a “first come, first served”

Wet your appetite: as you rightly know, it’s the rainy season and everywhere is wet, but my friend, they said I should remind you that it is “Whet your appetite.

Bathed breathe: Actually, you’ll be wrong, using this. Baited breathe is the appropriate phrase. I don’t know when breathe started bathing.

Wreck havoc: You wreak havoc.

Prepare for the worse: You are definitely wrong if you’re using this. Prepare for the worst is the right phrase here.

I could care less. The right thing is I couldn’t care less.

For all intensive purposes: This is actually for all intents and purpose.

It takes two to tangle: The right phrase is: is it takes two to tangle.

Prostrate Cancer: Hmmm? Cancer that prostrate? Na! Actually, it is Prostate cancer.

Have you ever used any of the phrases, wrongly or rightly?

http://theflowingink.com/10-simple-wrongly-used-phrases/
Re: 10 Simple But Wrongly Used Phrases by Prevho: 10:16am On Jun 13, 2017
Prostrate cancer got me laughing cheesy

Click below
Mini importation business secrets exposed!
PDF

(1) (Reply)

Must Read / Lessons For Every Entrepreneur From An Entrepreneurship Hang-out / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.