Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,683 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic (1403 Views)

Man Electrocuted To Death In Aba Few Weeks To Traditional Wedding (Graphic Pic) / Bauchi Pregnant Woman Slices Her Stomach Due To Labour Pains (graphic Pic) / How Push Up Bras Cause Breast Cancer In Ladies (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Zeinymira(f): 6:20pm On Jun 13, 2017
My name is Zainab. I'm a Nurse and I have albinism

Albinism is a congenital disorder characterized by the complete or partial absence of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes. And Albinism occurs in all races.

Here in Nigeria, the prevalence of Albinism is ranked the highest in the world and the population is estimated to be over 6 million.
With this large population, people living with Albinism are hardly considered has vulnerable people.and unlike other vulnerable groups, they least enjoy the same level of special attention, security and support from governments at all levels in the country.

PWAs, continue to live with the stigmatization, marginalization, social exclusion, low self-esteem, name-calling, incessant teasing, myths, violence, brutal killings and all other negative vices within their families and communities.

Amidst all these, I grew up to be stronger and embraced my Albinism, which to me its not a big deal, it's just a lack of melanin that affect only my skin color, hair and eyes while other organs are functioning perfectly.
Luckily for me, my family love and accept me. I only got to know am different at the age of 10 when I went to a public secondary school and faced the usual challenges (name-calling, teasing) even with that I was one of the best students among the hundreds in my set, at every Founder's day I was always at the podium to receive presents while the other students clapped.
This my story is just one of the few beautiful stories you hear from 5% of albinos.

What happened to the 95%?
They are still stuck with the myths, stigmatization and neglect from parents, siblings,friends and the society.
Most of them are school dropouts because they believe they are dullards which is not true. The problem they have is low vision and if they are well positioned in the classroom (PWAs should sit in the front row, teachers should write with a white chalk on a black board, and a black marker on a white board) they turn out well.

Let's talk skin cancer

Melanin is a photo protective pigment, protecting the skin from the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation. Its deficiency in people with albinism which predisposes
them to the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation exposure, resulting in issues such as photophobia, decreased visual acuity, extreme sun sensitivity, and skin cancers.

I never thought skin cancer is real in PWAs, while growing up I heard about it and I was not bothered. Fortunately for me, I have access to sunscreen lotions, I wear protective clothing, I stay out of the sun that's why I don't have freckles.

I joined the albino foundation earlier this year, I was shocked k to see albinos covered with freckles, from head to toes. Just last week, we lost three albinos to skin cancer and we have two presently at the National hospital Abuja, battling for life.
Imagine being poor, socially excluded, low self-esteem, self-hatred, neglected by parents and society and still living with cancer or prone to cancer. That is the many stories of PWAs.
To be honest, I never considered albinos has vulnerable people(and that's the thoughts of many) maybe because am well placed, until May 5th, 2017 which is the national Albinism day in Nigeria. I met lot of albinos, who are sad, wrinkled, freckled and cancerous. I have been sad since then.
Today, we have Albino foundation in Ogun state, it started November last year, we are grateful to God for His wonderful work and we have been able to reach lots of albinos in Ogun state.
Well you can dm to reach us

P.S: We have no sponsor, we run on a zero budget. But I believe we coming together will achieve a lot. Better days ahead

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Zeinymira(f): 6:29pm On Jun 13, 2017
How To Avoid Skin Cancer

1. Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
2. Do not burn.
3. Avoid tanning and UV tanning beds.
4. Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
5. Use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 35 or higher every day.
6. Avoid tanning
7. Report suspicious skin lesions to a doctor at once, especially if you have abnormal-looking moles or a family history of melanoma
8. Keep new born out of sun. Use sunscreen from six months old
9. Check your skin regularly

Signs and Symptoms of Melanoma

Unusual moles, sores, lumps, blemishes, markings, or changes in the way an area of the skin looks or feels may be a sign of melanoma or another type of skin cancer, or a warning that it might occur.

Cc: mynd44, lalasticala

4 Likes

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Zeinymira(f): 7:03pm On Jun 13, 2017
sissy3, domminiwue, seun
Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by tbaba1234: 7:37pm On Jun 13, 2017
Zeinymira:

Albinism is a congenital disorder characterized by the complete or partial absence of pigment in the skin, hair and eyes. And Albinism occurs in all races.

Here in Nigeria, the prevalence of Albinism is ranked the highest in the world and the population is estimated to be over 6 million.
With this large population, people living with Albinism are hardly considered has vulnerable people.and unlike other vulnerable groups, they least enjoy the same level of special attention, security and support from governments at all levels in the country.

PWAs, continue to live with the stigmatization, marginalization, social exclusion, low self-esteem, name-calling, incessant teasing, myths, violence, brutal killings and all other negative vices within their families and communities.

Amidst all these, I grew up to be stronger and embraced my Albinism, which to me its not a big deal, it's just a lack of melanin that affect only my skin color, hair and eyes while other organs are functioning perfectly.
Luckily for me, my family love and accept me. I only got to know am different at the age of 10 when I went to a public secondary school and faced the usual challenges (name-calling, teasing) even with that I was one of the best students among the hundreds in my set, at every Founder's day I was always at the podium to receive presents while the other students clapped.
This my story is just one of the few beautiful stories you hear from 5% of albinos.

They are still stuck with the myths, stigmatization and neglect from parents, siblings,friends and the society.
Most of them are school dropouts because they believe they are dullards which is not true. The problem they have is low vision and if they are well positioned in the classroom (PWAs should sit in the front row, teachers should write with a white chalk on a black board, and a black marker on a white board) they turn out well.

Let's talk skin cancer

Melanin is a photo protective pigment, protecting the skin from the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation. Its deficiency in people with albinism which predisposes
them to the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation exposure, resulting in issues such as photophobia, decreased visual acuity, extreme sun sensitivity, and skin cancers.

I never thought skin cancer is real in PWAs, while growing up I heard about it and I was not bothered. Fortunately for me, I have access to sunscreen lotions, I wear protective clothing, I stay out of the sun that's why I don't have freckles.

I joined the albino foundation earlier this year, I was shock to see albinos covered with freckles, from head to toes. Just last week, we have lost three albinos to skin cancer and we have two presently at the National hospital Abuja, battling skin cancer.
Imagine being poor, socially excluded, low self-esteem, self-hatred, neglected by parents and society and still living with cancer or prone to cancer. That is the many stories of PWAs.
To be honest, I never considered albinos has vulnerable people(and that's the thoughts of many) maybe because am well placed, until May 5th, 2017 which is the national Albinism day in Nigeria. I met lot of albinos, who are sad, wrinkled, freckled and cancerous. I have been sad since then.
Today, we have Albino foundation in Ogun state, it started November last year, we are grateful to God for His wonderful work and we have been able to reach lots of albinos in Ogun state.
If you are in Ogun state and you are a PWA or you know PWAs you can reach us with this number: 08101 0311 12(it's mine)
You can call to ask questions; you don't have to be in Ogun state

P.S: We have no sponsor, we run on a zero budget. But I believe we coming together will achieve a lot. Better days ahead

Good job... Interesting read

2 Likes

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Zeinymira(f): 8:08pm On Jun 13, 2017
tbaba1234:

Good job... Interesting read

Thanks

1 Like

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Abuklaw(m): 8:58am On Jun 18, 2017
I was shocked by this revelation when I found out few years ago but I have then warmed up to the most important thing that you don't look or act vulnerable. You are indeed a strong woman.

Keep the great work going Zeinymira. May Allah reward you and make your foothold firm. I have been following your stories, but the written and unwritten and can only appreciate the fact that you never sway from the right part despite the myriad of obstacles you are facing.

This is not an emotional message because you don't even need someone to remind you to be strong. I envy your resolve and wish I can handle things that are breaking me the same way.

Shout out to you all.

8 Likes

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Zeinymira(f): 9:02am On Jun 18, 2017
Thank you abuklaw

2 Likes

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by demmy66: 4:47pm On Jul 17, 2017
my delectable zeinymira.. i just decided to spy on your activities on nairaland and found out this enlightened post from you.. i have always known how great you are and will become. keep going strong intellectually and spiritually and ALLAH will bless you accordingly..

5 Likes

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Zeinymira(f): 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2017
demmy66:
my delectable zeinymira.. i just decided to spy on your activities on nairaland and found out this enlightened post from you.. i have always known how great you are and will become. keep going strong intellectually and spiritually and ALLAH will bless you accordingly..

Ameen, thank you

2 Likes

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by hardebounty(m): 11:58am On Aug 15, 2017
smiley smiley

What is left to add.. great write up, well articulated and points marshaled out..

Zeinymira:

Let's talk skin cancer

I joined the albino foundation earlier this year, I was shocked k to see albinos covered with freckles, from head to toes. Just last week, we lost three albinos to skin cancer and we have two presently at the National hospital Abuja, battling for life.
If you are in Ogun state and you are a PWA or you know PWAs you can reach us with this number: 08101 0311 12(it's mine)
You can call to ask questions; you don't have to be in Ogun state

1 Like

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by SokizzRaven(m): 9:34am On Feb 02, 2020
This should be a front page article.
It’s a masterpiece Hajia and keep up the good work
Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Ade3131: 1:11pm On Dec 28, 2021
Unfortunately an informative threads as this doesn't interest our Nairaland moderators.

@Lalasticalala
@seun
@nairaland mod

How much do I have to pay to get this post to the front page?
Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by BlueMurder(m): 11:09am On Jan 03, 2022
I'm shocked this never graced front page since 2017. Important information as this could go a long way in helping to clear the cobwebs of ignorance surrounding albinism, and reducing stigmatisation.

Kudos, OP.
Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by muheeb01(m): 11:21am On Jan 03, 2022
Impressive wirte up or epistle well done
Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Gadalo1990: 11:05pm On Sep 24, 2022
Just developed a crush for you. @Zeinymira You are really cool
Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Aboguede(m): 9:33pm On Jan 01, 2023
I never imagined that there are albinos in Northern Nigeria grin

Hope you are not single as you claimed sha because that is like saying no to interested persons.

Happy albino day shocked

Zeinymira:

Let's talk skin cancer

Well you can dm to reach us

Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Zeinymira(f): 9:55pm On Jan 01, 2023
Aboguede:

I never imagined that there are albinos in Northern Nigeria grin

Hope you are not single as you claimed sha because that is like saying no to interested persons.

Happy albino day shocked

Stop being stupid
Re: International Albinism Awareness Day: Let's Talk Skin Cancer In PWAs graphic pic by Aboguede(m): 5:31am On Jan 02, 2023
Zeinymira:

Stop being stupid

Sorry ooh

Na me furkup shocked

By the way, seems u are in West and not north. Also, I feel sorry for plights of some poor albinos as u described. I will donate to them when I can. Give me ur group Facebook or WhatsApp

(1) (Reply)

Why Men REALLY Lose Their Erections During Sex - Daily Star / Check Out How Good Peak 123 Is For Babies / Why Can't We Run Fast In Our Dreams?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.