Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,764 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

Between The US Embassy And GT Bank... Who Is At Fault - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Between The US Embassy And GT Bank... Who Is At Fault (602 Views)

Innocent Chukwuma: GT Bank Owes Me N6 Billion - Innoson Says In Interview(Video) / Man Closes Company Account With GT Bank Over Innoson Saga(photo) / Innocent Chukwuma: "GT Bank Is Using EFCC To Intimidate, Fight Me" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Between The US Embassy And GT Bank... Who Is At Fault by MVLOX(m): 6:41pm On Jun 13, 2017
My experiences at work has taught me some valuable lessons in recent times. One of such lessons is that "Nigeria caters to foreigners, while Nigerians are treated as expatriates... Shame! A country where an Ivorian comes and dictates to your Nigerian boss and everyone is expected to fall in line even when the policies been championed are actually zigzag. Well I guess that is a story for another day.

The issue at hand has to do with the official rate at which the dollar is exchanged with the naira. While the official rate is 1 dollar to about 365 - 370 naira, it will interest Nigerians and the world at large to know that while applying for visa to the USA the official Exchange rate is still at 1 dollar to 400 naira. As such a normal tourist visa which goes for about 160dollar becomes 64000. Like you already know this visa fee is paid via GT bank. In other words GT bank is the official bank or partner to the US embassy in Nigeria. You are probably aware that the visa application fee goes up immediately the exchange rate goes up but defies the law of gravity when the dollar crashes. In other words if the dollar exchanges at a higher rate the fee goes up but when the naira gains on the dollar it remains constant while they waits for the dollar to appreciate to increase the visa fee

That brings me to the questions that bother me and maybe you. Who is responsible for regulating how much a visa application fee to the US cost? GT bank or the US embassy? Why has this been allowed to go on for so long without anybody questioning this glaring exploitation of Nigerians? Is this what is obtainable in other countries? If so which country or countries?

The truth is that I may not have all the facts right now but until am proved wrong with strong evidence concerning this issue, the Nigeria situation keeps getting gloomy and gloomy. In fact it is indeed a country where anything goes and you surely are above the law as long you not a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Between The US Embassy And GT Bank... Who Is At Fault by DrUche3(m): 8:03pm On Jun 13, 2017
Hmmmmmh... I'll need to verify this before responding to OP's question.

(1) (Reply)

10 Things You Could Buy With N20 In Year 2000 / Paypal Account / 9 Ways Couples Can Survive Recession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.