Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 AM

6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding (11814 Views)

6 Advantages Of Over Speeding (counter Thread) / 5 Disadvantages Of Putting Your Cars In Park At The Traffic Light? / 5 Disadvantages Of Hybrid Cars (2) (3) (4)

6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by autojosh: 11:51am On Jun 14, 2017
Are you a driving maniac who is in love with over-speeding?.. If over-speeding and passing every other driver on the road is your hubby,.. I’ve got bad news for you. The bad news is these 6 disadvantages of over-speeding.

Disadvantages of over-speeding:

1) More fuel consumption

Cars are designed to be driven up to a certain speed range to get the best gas mileage. Therefore over speeding will lead to a higher fuel consumption. The higher the speed especially if above 120km/h, the more fuel the car will consume.

2) Increased possibility of accident

Crash, death, severe injury, manslaughter.. I am sure you don’t like the sound of all that. Especially on our Nigerian roads where we have potholes, jaywalkers, okadas, Danfos etc.. Over-speeding gives you a shorter time to respond to obstructions on your path.. Note: a fraction of a second can mean a lot of difference between life and death. Drive at reasonable speed or within speed limits for your safety and that of those around you.

3) Damage of vehicle

The damage could result from a crash, potholes you could not avoid, engine wear etc. Your car tyres also have speed ratings and could get damaged if you go beyond the recommended speed rating. Even if you argue that frequently driving your car at high RPMs does not damage your car, I am sure you’ll still agree lower RPMs are relatively better for your engine.

4) Air pollution

Levels of air pollution can be significantly reduced by less aggressive driving and by simply reducing your speed. Researchers studied air quality on some Amsterdam roads, where the speed limit was lowered from 100 km/h to 80 km/h, and found that levels of some pollutants were reduced by up to 15 per cent. This means you could be saving the whole world as well as posterity by not driving too fast.

5) Bad for your health

Speeding can increase your anxiety level.. this is okay if it occurs once in a while. However, wanting to be the road champion 24/7 could lead to chronic anxiety. This definitely comes with a bunch of health issues from physical health degradation to mental disorder.. I am sure you don’t want to go crazy with road rage.

6) It could actually increase your travel time

Sure, you can save 12 minutes by going 20 km/h faster on a 1 hour trip. However, this greatly reduces your response time.. and a single miscalculation can cost you the whole day. The great danger is moving way faster than the normal flow of traffic. You may be careful but can you vouch for other road users? I bet you can’t

Kindly add yours and let’s all drive to stay alive….

https://autojosh.com/6-disadvantages-of-over-speeding/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Olesekeniwoye(m): 11:53am On Jun 14, 2017
Zz
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:21pm On Jun 14, 2017
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Vision4God: 12:27pm On Jun 14, 2017
Drive safe.
Nice one OP

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jun 14, 2017
After overtaking every car, like a most wanted who just carried out a grand theft and is being chased by rivals, you get to a checkpoint and all the cars you overtook are right behind you in a split second. Then you wonder _what exactly is the Need For Speed? cheesy

I no dey cross 100/120 again mbok.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by AutoJoshNG: 12:53pm On Jun 14, 2017
PaperLace:
After overtaking every car, like someone who just carried out a grand theft and is being chased by rivals, you get to a checkpoint and all the cars you overtook are right behind you in a split second. Then you wonder if you're the most wanted?

What exactly is the Need For Speed? cheesy

Lol.. That has happened to me a number of times.. The police officers can even park and delay the speeder while those you overtook would just have an easy pass.

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 14, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

Lol.. That has happened to me a number of times.. The police officers can even park and delay the speeder while those you overtook would just have an easy pass.
It pains o _it has happened to me severally too. The look the other drivers give you when you're asked to park while they speed off is epic. Like "so your car get brake?" cheesy cheesy cheesy

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by AutoJoshNG: 1:12pm On Jun 14, 2017
PaperLace:

It pains o _it has happened to me severally too. The look the other drivers give you when you're asked to park while they speed off is epic. Like "so your car get brake?" cheesy cheesy cheesy

cheesy grin

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by nurey(m): 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2017
some speed are meant for dare devil like me, top speed are meant to be attained, if not, the manufacturer will not bother to arm the vehicle of such. i will continue to overspeed because

1. i do it at a safe interval
2. it shows i got balls
3. makes me feel those i leave behind are inferior drivers
4. I like attaining limits others fear
5. Thats the way i am, and i cant help it.

Dont hate me cause you aint me wink

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jun 14, 2017
nurey:
some speed are meant for dare devil like me, top speed are meant to be attained, if not, the manufacturer will not bother to arm the vehicle of such. i will continue to overspeed because

2. it shows i got balls.

Football or basketball?

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by nurey(m): 1:59pm On Jun 14, 2017
PaperLace:

Football or basketball?

Nah Cheeseballs mtcheeww undecided

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 14, 2017
nurey:

Nah Cheeseballs mtcheeww undecided
Last I checked, cheese balls are not very strong. You have to be more careful, wear your seatbelt and maintain safe driving practices while showing you gat cheese balls cheesy.

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by nurey(m): 2:27pm On Jun 14, 2017
PaperLace:

Last I checked, cheese balls are not very strong. You have to be more careful, wear your seatbelt and maintain safe driving practices while showing you gat cheese balls cheesy.

whether careful or not, we will all die, live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it life is too short

YOLO[i][/i]

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by winetapper: 6:30pm On Jun 14, 2017
nurey:

whether careful or not, we will all die, live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it life is too short

YOLO[i][/i]
YOLO at least die properly

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by NwaAmaikpe: 7:34am On Jun 15, 2017

I'm addicted to over-speeding....I even speed when I am down memory-lane.

Remember, something must kill a man.

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Tinjan: 7:35am On Jun 15, 2017
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by calberian: 7:35am On Jun 15, 2017
Speed thrills but then, it kills.

Sometime ago, maybe around last year, there used to be this female moniker that was ALWAYS the first to comment on every doggone thread on NL. It's not Lady F but Lady F used to be pretty active then with her signature "it's Lady F again".

I think she was a masters student at ui at the time. Trying to remember her moniker. And get a hold of her.
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by samtee37(m): 7:36am On Jun 15, 2017
The greatest disdavnatge is that, speed kills.

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by lanre316: 7:37am On Jun 15, 2017
PaperLace:
After overtaking every car, like a most wanted who just carried out a grand theft and is being chased by rivals, you get to a checkpoint and all the cars you overtook are right behind you in a split second. Then you wonder _what exactly is the Need For Speed? cheesy

Nice one. I'm still LOLing at this.

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Akinaukwa: 7:37am On Jun 15, 2017
Over speeding had no advantage. It rather has killed very many.
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Iamwrath: 7:43am On Jun 15, 2017
Death/ Accident scares me more than anything else

but i believe there's always need for speed , either you are in a hurry or being chased , learn how to speed but speed with sense

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Iamwrath: 7:45am On Jun 15, 2017
Nna see gamer hia oooo

Bros i hail

PaperLace:

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by LexngtonSteele: 7:48am On Jun 15, 2017
7. You can wake up in Heaven / Hell
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by chisomdestiny: 7:49am On Jun 15, 2017
I still and will always believe that 97% of accidents are due to over speeding...
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by SurePresident: 8:08am On Jun 15, 2017
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by chronique(m): 8:21am On Jun 15, 2017
I speed a lot cos I don't like staying on the road for long and I hate slow driving. However, I'm always very focused and alert when speeding. I don't take calls or look at irrelevant things on the road at that moment. My eyes move from my side mirrors to inner mirror and my front... The thrill of going past several cars at times could be a little bit exciting. If my vehicle isn't in a sound state, I wouldn't try that though. I'd just drive gently. I also noticed that I drive very fast and rough at times, when I'm upset. It feels like I transfer my aggression to the car...

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by oriewanbe: 8:28am On Jun 15, 2017
Best highway speed on Nigerian roads is 100km/hr. My opinion though. Anything higher, you are on your own o.
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by josju: 8:32am On Jun 15, 2017
I get amazed at the time difference between an over speeding and normal moving driver, its really not much. Not worth the risk.
Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by Tapout(m): 8:35am On Jun 15, 2017
PaperLace:

kai that thing dey pain me scatter... Sometime in February, I was on my way to akwaibom (if u've been there, u would agree with me that their roads are very nice for Grand Prix events grin ) when I came across 4 vehicles and overtook them... E no reach 40secs after I done overtake them finish, men in black clear me...that's how they all passed me again.

Re: 6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding by psalmson001: 8:53am On Jun 15, 2017
PaperLace:

*Applause*

Finally, A Made In Nigeria Car - And It's Like The Hummer Jeep! / Is It Safe To Top-up Engine Oil When The Level Has Gone Low? / What Makes You Buy Your First Car(s)?