Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,372 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena (5569 Views)

New Horizons Nigeria Or Aptech's Arena? / Arena Multimedia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by zPixel(m): 2:41pm On Jan 23, 2010
Really nice to see the industry is growing in africa.

Do you think there's hope for the animation industry in nigeria?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8476571.stm
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by AdamuW: 9:17am On Jan 26, 2010
Yes there is hope considering we have the raw materials regarding talent etc.

I'm more worried about when the general Nigerian social/business climate becomes easier and more cost effective to operate in. Cheap high speed internet, infrastructure, power, security, availability to low interest, long term business loans, a better standard of life for the majority of the population the list goes on.

We can and will still go far,even with all these issues in the way, but our animation/CGI would go much further with better operating conditions in the country.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by zPixel(m): 10:08am On Jan 26, 2010
I'm more worried about when the general Nigerian social/business climate becomes easier and more cost effective to operate in. Cheap high speed internet, infrastructure, power, security, availability to low interest, long term business loans, a better standard of life for the majority of the population the list goes on.
I don't think all this things are avialiable in kenya but they are doing better animation-wise compare to Nigeria.

Let's take a look at South africa, why do we think they're doing better than other african countries? i really don't know the answer.

I strongly believe the industry will grow in Nigeria, but for how long are we going to wait, another thing we should consider is a community for CG artists where we can all come together discuss and plan on how the industry can move forward and how we can help each other become better. It would really go a long way.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by AdamuW: 1:26pm On Jan 26, 2010
I agree with you. One thing I would say though is that it took a foreign producer to convince a British company to buy into the Kenyan project for them to get it set up.

As for South Africa, I'd say it's a combination of the education system, increasing industry support by government, infrastructure and economic diversity that help the industry there. The field is also respected and seen as a source of revenue for the country.

I'm not saying it can't happen here. I have a suspicion that South African companies will set up Nigerian branches to be closer to one of their largest markets as we outsource so much work to them. It makes good business sense.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by zPixel(m): 1:38pm On Jan 26, 2010
I have a suspicion that South African companies will set up Nigerian branches to be closer to one of their largest markets as we outsource so much work to them. It makes good business sense

Beginning of some serious competiton + growth. The Nigeria based studios will be forced to step up their quality to survive. It will be a good thing afterall.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by NSNA: 1:59am On Jan 27, 2010
the problem with Nigeria is that the media market is disorganised
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by emmakc(m): 7:10am On Jan 27, 2010
I think d HOME BOYS are doing some great work in Kenya. As for a community, we have http://graphicspalace.com which is a concept of Nigerian Artists. Our problem has been that of the pot calling d kettle blacks. Thanks to Grafikdon, who made us proud. Lets keep working and stop talking.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by justbones(m): 7:43am On Jan 27, 2010
have faith and take heart,
it only takes a little push to get the ball rolling and more key players will be discovered
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by melvi: 1:28pm On Jan 27, 2010
I think the truth of the matter is the reluctance of the educational system in this country to adopt computer and softwares as the way to go with professions especially in tertiary institutions.A lot of graduates now are realizing that getting a degree isn't just good enough to land a good job as a lot of companies are taking to softwares as it enables them work easier,faster and more efficiently.So imagine a school dropout who decides to learn a software and is excellent at it,who is the company gonna employ,the graduate that is computer illiterate or the individual that is a don in a software the company uses.
In terms of animation and 3d,there are no proper institutions where people can go and learn these things.In canada,there are a lot of film and animation schools even universities have these courses available.There are DVDs and ebooks readily available for purchase.I have heard of NIIT,I almost went there but I discovered they teach very little of what the softwares have to offer.I am not even sure they have ever heard of softwares like Topogun,or motionbuilder.I have learnt a lot on my own so if we start establishing animation companies or some of the foreign companies decide to set up here.I think that's a start.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 27, 2010
Nice one
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by na2day(m): 2:42pm On Jan 27, 2010
Let me put it this way: CGI is a painstaking work, it requires serious concentration (many 9jarians always prefer little work for big money), 24hours electricity supply, especially when it comes to rendering which sometimes takes days to finish(pls beg PHCN),and access to resource materials (with our slow internet connection, imagine if u need to download about 5gb file?), if 9ja can fix these believe me, animation will really take off, i know we have the talents in the country.
For you info, i'm a cgi artist in chennai
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 27, 2010
na2day!:

Let me put it this way: CGI is a painstaking work, it requires serious concentration (many 9jarians always prefer little work for big money), 24hours electricity supply, especially when it comes to rendering which sometimes takes days to finish(pls beg PHCN),and access to resource materials (with our slow internet connection, imagine if u need to download about 5gb file?), if 9ja can fix these believe me, animation will really take off, i know we have the talents in the country.
For you info, i'm a cgi artist in chennai

na zo men,

Electricity No. 1::: not available

why ISP won't charge high cos no light, they also run on fuel

abeg I'm tired of all this,  the system is annoying.

Imagine u on ur pc trying to do some animation works or someting, nepa take light, generator spoil, mechanic not available, or fuel scarcity,

it's like hell:::

How can you discover your talent with this system. Naija govt is killing lots of talent , arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh sh, it
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by melvi: 2:57pm On Jan 27, 2010
CGI is a painstaking work, it requires serious concentration (many 9jarians always prefer little work for big money), 24hours electricity supply, especially when it comes to rendering which sometimes takes days to finish(pls beg PHCN),and access to resource materials (with our slow internet connection, imagine if u need to download about 5gb file?), if 9ja can fix these believe me, animation will really take off, i know we have the talents in the country.

I agree.Power has been a major problem especially when creating models or rendering frames for animation and none of the ISPs in the country have fast internet connection.No computer store where u can walk into to purchase tutorial DVDs or books.CGI is time consuming and to get the best quality,it should not be rushed,not to mention coming up with a concept that will make your clients happy.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by na2day(m): 3:06pm On Jan 27, 2010
Hi, melvi i just saw some of ur work, are u in 9ja? smiley
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by zPixel(m): 4:16pm On Jan 27, 2010
I agree with you guys. But i don't think if we keep depending on the goverment, we'll achieve anything. They are not just reliable.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by sendtodeji: 4:26pm On Jan 27, 2010
zPixel:

I don't think all this things are avialiable in kenya but they are doing better animation-wise compare to Nigeria.

Let's take a look at South africa, why do we think they're doing better than other african countries? i really don't know the answer.
I strongly believe the industry will grow in Nigeria, but for how long are we going to wait, another thing we should consider is a community for CG artists where we can all come together discuss and plan on how the industry can move forward and how we can help each other become better. It would really go a long way.

I have a possible theory for that question based on personal observation and experience. I will theorise that South Africa is achieving its feats because of the presence of non-black race in its population. This is in no way a condemnation of the black race. I have observed this also in predominantly black areas of America as well as in some offices with predominantly black employees. I haven't been able to put a finger on the particular reason but I'm thinking it has something to do with "order" as in orderliness or "process" as in having a laid down process for achieving things. The black race is smart, brilliant and talented. However, there's still a missing key ingredient that makes even those who are intellectually "lesser" (for lack of a better word) than us to achieve tremendous growth. I'm not supporting the concept of "the black race is cursed" either. It's definitely has to do with the way we approach things. Our way of thinking and acting. My theory could be quantified by the known fact that when a black man is relocated from his "natural habitat" into an habitat where he is greatly influenced by a non-black race, we tend to perform better and achieve better results. NIGERIANS ARE THE BEST IN EVERYTHING but ,

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by na2day(m): 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2010
zPixel:

I agree with you guys. But i don't think if we keep depending on the goverment, we'll achieve anything.  They are not just reliable.
i agree with u dat they're not reliable but there are some basic things dat must be on ground, like power, last year i was in d country to do some freelance work for a friend, it was an harrowing experience, the money i spent on fuel for like 250hours, and to make matter worse, the generator breakin down while rendering, and i felt like cryin,  angry O my GOD!
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by na2day(m): 4:33pm On Jan 27, 2010
SOLVE POWER PROBLEM AND EVERY OTHER THING WILL FALL INTO PLACE, companies will no longer relocate to Ghana, soon u shall be seeing powerful animations from ghana, we've seen from south africa, now kenya, and very very very soon ghana!
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by sendtodeji: 4:42pm On Jan 27, 2010
na2day!:

i agree with u dat they're not reliable but there are some basic things dat must be on ground, like power, last year i was in d country to do some freelance work for a friend, it was an harrowing experience, the money i spent on fuel for like 250hours, and to make matter worse, the generator breakin down while rendering, and i felt like cryin, angry O my GOD!

I can relate with your experience. The last time I was in Nigeria too, I worked a project that should ordinarily take me maximum of 5 hours to complete but took me 5 days! Generator doesn't cut it. I had to download software from the Internet during the process. No reliable Internet connection to do that. The connection kept timing out. It's really really bad.

melvi:

I think the truth of the matter is the reluctance of the educational system in this country to adopt computer and softwares as the way to go with professions especially in tertiary institutions.A lot of graduates now are realizing that getting a degree isn't just good enough to land a good job as a lot of companies are taking to softwares as it enables them work easier,faster and more efficiently.So imagine a school dropout who decides to learn a software and is excellent at it,who is the company gonna employ,the graduate that is computer illiterate or the individual that is a don in a software the company uses.
In terms of animation and 3d,there are no proper institutions where people can go and learn these things.In canada,there are a lot of film and animation schools even universities have these courses available.There are DVDs and ebooks readily available for purchase.I have heard of NIIT,I almost went there but I discovered they teach very little of what the softwares have to offer.I am not even sure they have ever heard of softwares like Topogun,or motionbuilder.I have learnt a lot on my own so if we start establishing animation companies or some of the foreign companies decide to set up here.I think that's a start.

You have actually taken the right approach, self-development. You now imagine what you could achieve if you had access to 24/7 power and reliable Internet. You won't need a training school neither will you need the DVDs. I can't imagine myself working without access to the Internet. It's like being locked up in a prison with no access to the world!
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by melvi: 4:52pm On Jan 27, 2010
na2day!:

Hi, melvi i just saw some of your work, are u in 9ja? smiley

Yep, thats where I am.

sendtodeji:

You have actually taken the right approach, self-development. You now imagine what you could achieve if you had access to 24/7 power and reliable Internet. You won't need a training school neither will you need the DVDs. I can't imagine myself working without access to the Internet. It's like being locked up in a prison with no access to the world!

Yeah, the importance of the internet cannot be expressed in words.Well, until things get better,i don't know, kinda sad when u think about it.There is a bowblade I am working on and I am presently baking the normal and ao maps,need to start painting the colour maps in Mudbox but nooo, power goes out!!!Arggh!!!
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by heyma: 5:13pm On Jan 27, 2010
Well , http://www.mayhemproductions.org/Video/Mark_Of_Uru/Mark_Of_Uru_Animated_Web_Series.html

is a  solid representation of naija animation.

and leads in black animation, world wide,

Produced by Obinna Onwuekwe.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by zPixel(m): 5:16pm On Jan 27, 2010
have a possible theory for that question based on personal observation and experience. I will theorise that South Africa is achieving its feats because of the presence of non-black race in its population. This is in no way a condemnation of the black race. I have observed this also in predominantly black areas of America as well as in some offices with predominantly black employees. I haven't been able to put a finger on the particular reason but I'm thinking it has something to do with "order" as in orderliness or "process" as in having a laid down process for achieving things. The black race is smart, brilliant and talented. However, there's still a missing key ingredient that makes even those who are intellectually "lesser" (for lack of a better word) than us to achieve tremendous growth. I'm not supporting the concept of "the black race is cursed" either. It's definitely has to do with the way we approach things. Our way of thinking and acting. My theory could be quantified by the known fact that when a black man is relocated from his "natural habitat" into an habitat where he is greatly influenced by a non-black race, we tend to perform better and achieve better results. NIGERIANS ARE THE BEST IN EVERYTHING but ,

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

Just the right answer to the question.

From my personal observations, i've noticed wherever you have the white folks present there's always this orderliness around which in turn brings about good quality. For instance, in the world of computer graphics/movie industry, the white folks are the ones doing well no matter how hard we try to imitate them. In all most everything in this world they are always on top. No doubt a few colored folks are doing well too, Ben Carson for example. Come to think of it we were all created the same day(according to what we all know) what were our great fathers doing when the whites were developing?

Well, this is just my opinoin from another perspective. Maybe we are different after all.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by sendtodeji: 5:27pm On Jan 27, 2010
OMG! I'm really surprised and excited at the same time at what I am discovering in NL lately. Even out of nothing our folks are still creating something. I've checked out some of the works done by you guys and I must say that it's really commendable. Has any of us ever tried to get some of this aired on TV? I'm sure some Private TV stations will be interested in airing some of them. That will be a big boost to the industry as well. Please, pardon my perceived ignorance in this part.

Also on rendering, what will also make much difference if you have a powerful equipment to render with. By this, I'm referring to a multi-processor system or clustered-computing architecture. While building a clustered-computing architecture isn't much of a big deal, at least for someone like me, the problem of power to run it still lingers. I think you guys should come together and form a cooperative entity to further your cause.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by iice(f): 5:30pm On Jan 27, 2010
Cool!
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by melvi: 5:46pm On Jan 27, 2010
zPixel:

Just the right answer to the question.

From my personal observations, i've noticed wherever you have the white folks present there's always this orderliness around which in turn brings about good quality. For instance, in the world of computer graphics/movie industry, the white folks are the ones doing well no matter how hard we try to imitate them. In all most everything in this world they are always on top. No doubt a few colored folks are doing well too, Ben Carson for example. Come to think of it we were all created the same day(according to what we all know) what were our great fathers doing when the whites were developing?

Well, this is just my opinoin from another perspective. Maybe we are different after all.

What!!How can u say that?I don't think any race is superior or we are different in any way.The asians are also good. even better when it comes to 3D stuff.Check out the Final Fantasy games,their CGI work is one of the best.I think Africa, since its developing, would probably have a number of problems.Its only a couple of years back,that 3D and animation started gathering momentum in the country.The only reason 3d & animation is professional in the western world is because it is now part of their educational system.With schools,educational materials and even university courses about the subject matter,they are bound to excel at what they do.All these things are lacking in Africa.If we had these at our disposal,we would be even better than they are.
For no reason,should anybody feel inferior EVER,cause we are all talented and intelligent.I think it has to do with one's mindset.Its not a matter of race.I feel disappointed this is coming from fellow Africans and this is what the western world wants us to believe.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by zPixel(m): 6:04pm On Jan 27, 2010
@melvi
That is not my believe, like i said am looking at it from another perspective.
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by na2day(m): 6:05pm On Jan 27, 2010
melvi:

Yep, thats where I am.

Send ur numba to me, i'll look u up anytime i'm in 9ja  wink
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by SuperPap: 7:02pm On Jan 27, 2010
and all computer 'gurus' like seun can do is to take already made forum software and make a website! kmt!!
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by melvi: 7:07pm On Jan 27, 2010
na2day!:

Send your numba to me, i'll look u up anytime i'm in 9ja  wink

Most of the time,I am so occupied with 3D stuff that picking up my phone has become a luxury.Hope u don't mind contacting me through my e-mail address:
melviso2@yahoo.com.

Looking forward to hearing from u.By the way,do u have a website?
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by Amhatu(m): 10:59pm On Jan 27, 2010
I Agree with Heyma. I watch the Mark Of Uru Produced by Obinna Onwuekwe, it was a very good production.

Is there anyone in this forum who may know if the 3d realistic special effects naija movie "Smoke & Mirrors", been produced or is it still in post production?

The main stars in the movie are Bimbo Akintola,Olu jacobs and others. Just wondering.

Goodday
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by whiteroses(f): 11:39pm On Jan 27, 2010
dont nigeria have kali and tawa show? but westerners no fit understand, lame stories like when kali thief tawa's money and they started fighting lol
Re: Kenya Enters Children's Animation Arena by na2day(m): 2:37am On Jan 28, 2010
has anyone seen AVATAR? I believe, very soon 9ja will get there!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anglican Church Of Nigeria Logo And Graphics / How Many FACES Do You See? / SOLID CONCEPTZ:Get Unique Flyers, Logos, Business card, Social media design .t.c

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.