Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,914 members, 7,806,654 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

A Bouquet Of Forget-me-nots - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Bouquet Of Forget-me-nots (629 Views)

Lest We Forget, Gbenga Adeboye (1959-2003) Part 1 / The Haves And Have Nots / The One Night I Will Never Forget (A Short Romantic Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Bouquet Of Forget-me-nots by DamilolaKoya(m): 6:21am On Jun 16, 2017
Chapter One

"How is she, Doctor?" he asked, his hands trembling. Dr. Daniel paused to look at the man before him. He couldn't be more than twenty-five, but the bags under his eyes made him look fifty.

"Well, we ran some tests on her and everything seems to be alright now", he said. "It's amazing really. She's been in a coma for three days and she just suddenly wakes up. And with no complications!. If I didn't see it myself I'd say it wasn't true".

"So, I can see her now?" the man said. Dr. Daniel paused for a moment, taking time to register the look of relief on the face before him, which had quickly chased the worried one away. It was like his face had come alive.

"Oh yes please. Feel free" he replied, gesturing towards the ward. The young man thanked him, and walked off, a slight spring in his step. He stopped in front of a door that read 'G308', took a deep breath, and then walked in. A woman lay on the hospital bed, her nose in a book with a plate of fruit salad in front of her. When she saw him, she dropped the book and smiled.

"Hi! I was wondering when you'd show up again!. The doctor said you were the one that brought me in when I collapsed. I am so grateful. I owe you my life!" she giggled. "So, what's my rescuer's name?"

He looked at her in bewilderment, and his tongue did a free fall from his mouth for a minute or two, before he finally found his voice. "You mean you don't know me? Are you joking?"

A look of confusion crept on her face. "I don't. They only told me you brought me in. You didn't even leave a name"

"Nengi, it's me. It's me Haruna. H-how can you say you don't r-remember me?"

"Erm, Haruna right? I'm sorry, but we've never met. I'm really grateful that you saved my life..but I'm afraid i don't know you"

He stared at her, his dark eyes shining with tears. It made her uncomfortable, and she glanced repeatedly at the door, making a calculation on whether she could reach it without him catching her. Suddenly he reached into his pocket, drawing out a phone. He held it in front of her. She shrank back.

"Look at it. Please. Just take a look at the pictures."

She did. And to her surprise there were a lot of pictures of her on the device. Then came the ones with this man — Haruna — they were together, smiling and in some, hugging or holding hands and she wondered just how this was possible. Then she stopped at one, as she saw herself locked in an embrace with the very man before her, kissing.

His voice was low now. Nearly defeated. "Do you remember this one? We took it at Dare and Maxwell's house".

"Dare and Maxwell Bismark? I know them. I and Dare work together. Maxwell is her husband". She scrolled to the next picture. "And this is my high school reunion. I can see my friends, Ruth, Binta, Taiwo. All of them are here". The next one was a picture of her parents, she recognized them. She had no problems recognizing everyone, except Haruna.

She swallowed hard. " Uhm, so what are we to each other. And how long have we been...together"

Haruna looked on at her. "6 years. You're my fiancé". He looked away, but the tears refused to be hidden.

" I'm really sorry, Haruna. But I don't recognize your face. I don't know what to say" she said, twisting her fingers. Haruna noticed, and remembered she always did that whenever she was nervous. Everything about her was intact. Except for the look. The look she always had on her face whenever she spoke to him. It was no longer there. All that was left was the confused look of someone trying to place a stranger.
Re: A Bouquet Of Forget-me-nots by Heromaniaa: 6:25am On Jun 16, 2017
Re: A Bouquet Of Forget-me-nots by DamilolaKoya(m): 6:45am On Jun 16, 2017
Chapter Two

"So you don't remember him? Nothing at all? Nothing familiar?" Binta asked

"Yeah, come on Nene. There has to be something. Anything?. Babe, you've been with Haruna for a long time o"

Nengi looked at the two faces seated before her. Binta and Ruth had been her closest friends, ever since high school. They knew everything about each other, every major and minor detail that ever existed. She rubbed her forehead as she spoke.

"Girls, I'm telling you. It's all confusing. I've tried and tried to remember who he is. But there's nothing. It's like he doesn't even exist. My life right now is filled with so much awkwardness that I probably reek of it. When I'm at home, I don't know how to act. He doesn't say much either, he just skulks in a corner most of the time."

"So wait, you people don't touch each other ni? No action again?" Binta said

"Ehen, Action Congress ni. We're here talking about her not remembering somebody, and you're mentioning action." Ruth chided.

Sensing what was coming, Nengi asked them to stop and change the subject. They easily switched to gossip, but she wasn't all in. Her mind kept trying to put into place how Haruna fit into her life.

"So, you say she still doesn't recognise you?" he said. Haruna nodded, fearing if he dared to speak, his heart would fail him and he would burst into tears. Crying in front of a doctor was the last thing he wanted.

"It's strange really. We ran every test possible, but I can tell you that Nengi is a s healthy as a newborn. Nothing is wrong with her. And it is the first time in my practice that I've come across such selective amnesia after a patient has come out of a coma. Not even with the kind of circumstances that put her in the coma in the first place."

"So Doctor, what you're saying is there's nothing you can do that can make her remember me? I'm just supposed to watch my fiancé slip away from me?"

"Haruna, calm down. These things take time. And that's all you can do for now. Give her time. I, on the other hand will contact my colleagues and make inquiries. Maybe they've seen something like it before. Just exercise patience."

Haruna sighed, and thanking the doctor, took his leave.

She made her way out of the bar, slightly drunk. A night with Binta and Ruth was always a delight. She was about to stop a cab when someone tapped her shoulder. She jumped with a start.

"My apologies, I didn't mean to startle you" he said

"It's cool. I was just being wary"

"Hahaha. True. You can never be too trusting in these parts. Anyways, I came out to give you your purse. It must have dropped out of your bag or something"

"Oh my God! T-thank you!. I swear I did not notice. That's how the cab man would have beaten the hell out of me for his fare. Thanks so much Mr—"

"— David. Just David. And it's nothing. Only doing what's right. I must be on my way now. Do have a good night. Hope to see you sometime soon" and with that he flashed her a smile. She waved goodbye and boarded the cab, still reeling from that close save. When she opened her purse, she saw a card that hadn't been there. Scribbled on it was a note that said "Call me sometime".
Re: A Bouquet Of Forget-me-nots by EvaJael(f): 1:46pm On Jun 16, 2017
Please continue. I'm following
Re: A Bouquet Of Forget-me-nots by Sparkling2(f): 7:17pm On Jun 18, 2017
hey nd me too..am loving dis

(1) (Reply)

Between Chimanda Adichie and Hilarry Clinton / You Must Marry Me O"ceece Told Tobi(joke) / An Open Letter To Mighty Israel!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.