Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

Why Most Businesses Fail (confidential) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Most Businesses Fail (confidential) (393 Views)

50 Directors Fail Perm Secs’ Exam, 41 Make Final List / Why Do So Many Small Businesses Fail? / 222 Federal Directors Fail Permsecs Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Most Businesses Fail (confidential) by BizLifeE: 3:42pm On Jun 17, 2017
Where do most web startups fail?

Most of the start-ups that actually fail, fail because the founders quit.

I've invested in about 80 companies and roughly 20% of them failed as of now (failure to me is determined that the investors got less than 100% of their money back). Generally, this is due to the founders quitting, wanting a break, or just being tired. Essentially the founders gave up and the business failed.

There is nothing wrong with people giving up. Sometimes in the face of overwhelming evidence, it makes sense for a founder to quit and do something else ... that is what a rational person would do.

But as an investor, you're best with a completely irrational founder that will not rest until she succeeds. One that will not take failure as an option. I'm not sure how you identify this founder ... things like grit, perseverance, and tenacity are really hard to interview for. But they are likely the number one indicator of not investing in a failure.

In fact, if the founders never quit, the start-up, by definition, will never fail. It may never succeed widely, but it won't fail.

Of course, entrepreneurs that would not quit might not be the folks that lead to a super success. If Google was going sideways in the early days, would Larry Page stay there or would he leave and go do something else? We will never know the answer.

But I have seen plenty of entrepreneurs who quit on the first sign of failure. They get punched in the nose once and they just leave the fight. Sometimes I am shocked that a company is shutting down just a year after they raised a seed round.

Alternatively, I have seen entrepreneurs who keep getting knocked down and back up. Then they get knocked on their butts and get up again. Then they get knocked on their butts again and get up yet again. These resilient entrepreneurs fail all the time ... but they would never let their companies fail.

Note: I personally have done both. I was involved with a company when I was younger that failed ... partially because myself and the other founders gave up. And most recently I was involved in a company where many more sane people would have given up and we turned it into a roaring success.

Source: https://www.quora.com/Where-do-most-web-startups-fail

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng
Re: Why Most Businesses Fail (confidential) by ituglobal(m): 10:53pm On Jun 17, 2017
The answer is simple: Most entrepreneurs are idiots. Period.

(1) (Reply)

The 5-hour Rule That Will Make You Super-successful / Any School Currently Recruiting? / No More Restrictions On Your First Bank Naira Cards.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.