Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,232 members, 7,780,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:27 PM

Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books (2237 Views)

Man Builds Computer Lab For His Former Primary School (Pics) / A Classroom In Abule Egba, Lagos Looks Like A Dustbin (Photo) / Boy Rescued After Being Thrown Away For Being A "Witch" Starts School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by megafem1: 11:14pm On Jun 17, 2017
A dustbin man in Bogota in Colombia, who
never studied further than primary school,
has gathered a library of more than 20,000
thrown away books.
The collection began 20 years ago, when
Jose Alberto Gutierrez fished out a discarded
copy of Tolstoy's novel Anna Karenina.
He now offers his books to other people as
a free community library.
"I realised that people were throwing books
away in the rubbish. I started to rescue
them," he said.
Mr Gutierrez, who has gained the nickname
The Lord of the Books, began collecting
books that had been dumped in the waste
bins in wealthier parts of the city.
He would take them out of the rubbish and
retrieve them for families in poorer areas.
His collection of chucked away books is now
used by families wanting to help their
children with their homework, in a free
library called the Strength of Words.
"There was a lack of them in our
neighbourhood, so we started to help," said
Mr Gutierrez.His home has been overfilled with books, so
they are now taking books to poor parts of
the city or to remote areas without any
access to libraries.
"The more books we give away, the more
come to us," he said.
He has also been providing books for
fighters being demobilised in Colombia's
peace process.
A fighter from the Farc rebel group
contacted him about getting books to help
them prepare for jobs when they re-enter
civilian life.
"Books transformed me, so I think books
are a symbol of hope for those places. They
are a symbol of peace," said Mr Gutierrez.
Now in his 50s, Mr Gutierrez is going back
to study for his school leaver's exam, which
he missed first time round. www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40173423

1 Like

Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by pacifichunter(m): 11:21pm On Jun 17, 2017
[color=#006600][/color]Information is power. All NALISS national wide should hail this dude.
Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 18, 2017
Photos
Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by anonym0us: 8:13am On Jun 18, 2017
op is using airtel freebies to browse

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by Ajewealth123(m): 8:30am On Jun 18, 2017
U never ready to pass info across!
Wey pics?
Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 18, 2017
anonym0us:

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by Jesuspikin8: 11:49am On Jun 18, 2017
anonym0us:
You are a wicked Sombori grin grin
Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by esqtony: 12:00pm On Jun 18, 2017
Every book has a deposit of knowledge.
Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by slysneh: 12:05pm On Jun 18, 2017
Op no get money ...using freebasics on BBC and even nairaland I Guess thank God for airtel dis guy 4 no enter online
Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by zainkay: 6:10pm On Jun 18, 2017
chai! op you fall my hand o
Re: Dustbin Man Builds Free Library Of Thrown Away Books by egopersonified(f): 7:16pm On Jun 18, 2017
I picked the book, the power of positive thinking by Norman Vincent Peale from a dustbin when I was in 100level, it gave me a means to channel my thinking outside the box (stubbornness, as people called it) into a positive direction.

(1) (Reply)

This Funny And Heartbreaking Waec Result / Night Is Not The Best Time To Study- See Reasons / 2019 10 Best Art Courses To Study In Nigeria For Quick Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.