Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:47 PM

Can African Political Unification Make It The Next China? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can African Political Unification Make It The Next China? (1386 Views)

Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 / Can African Leaders Ever Be This Humble / The Historic Igbo/yoruba Handshake: Key To Southern Unification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can African Political Unification Make It The Next China? by Rossikki: 9:59pm On Jun 18, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Okay. I don't have the energy please.

No problem. Go get some rest.
Re: Can African Political Unification Make It The Next China? by pazienza(m): 8:27am On Jun 19, 2017
[b]I disagree Sir. The problem of Africa began long before that. More directly, the problem of Africa just prior to slavery and colonisation, was the fragmentation of the continent into various small, unviable, and easily conquerable states, which made the continent vulnerable to European incursion.

If Africa had been a single empire, or had had say two or three huge empires that covered the entire continent, the slave trade could not have occurred, and neither could colonialism. Nobody enslaved the people of the Mali empire, which, at its peak, covered almost the entire West Africa. Why? Because they were a huge, centralised state, with a powerful army and ruling class.

The Igbos to the south on the other hand, were spilt into tiny, 'independent' chiefdoms, which made them easy pickings for enslavers. Lesson: Consolidation is strength.

Extend that principle to a new Unified Africa, and we are reaching the heights of our possibilities as a people.

Now YOU, are basically advocating a return to that state of fragmentation, which will further make Africa more vulnerable to foreign interests. It will fail, for the same reason it failed the last time.
[/b]

Mali was neck and deep in trans Sahara Arabic slave trade and was indeed colonized by the French easily, so I don't know what you speak of.

Africa can't have big empires as we are of distinct ethnic nationalities. Infact, it was the desire to establish empires by subjugation of neighboring groups by Africans that made it easy for the colonialists to play on our divisions and animosities and used us to enslave each other.

The Fulani caliphate was also centralized, yet they were subdued by the colonialists.

What we need is not primitive centralization by use of force by few to subjugate many, cos ultimately, the many that was subjugated and forced to centralize by one, would serve as willing tool in the hand of colonists to wreck the union, and also, since all of us are at the same level of scientific evolution, non of us can truly centralize the rest without soliciting arms from the west, and such arms would always come with a price.
Naive Mutala Muhammad was thinking along your line, when he thought he could use the British weapons to keep Nigeria one, without subjecting himself to British imperialist demands thereafter.

Europe is more fragmented than Africa, but they have strong NATO and EU. That's the route we should be going, not the Chinese model, because we lack one instrument the Chinese have that made their model work, which is homogeneity.

5 Likes

Re: Can African Political Unification Make It The Next China? by pazienza(m): 8:38am On Jun 19, 2017

I agree with getting rid of the nation-states, but only for the purposes of forming a Super African state. This whole idea that the current nation-states are not working because they were 'forced' into being by foreigners, is a seductive idea, but it's really baseless. There's no reason to suppose that African ethnic groups would have developed nations on their own, based on amicable, mutually agreed terms among the ethnicities. Nations simply do not form in that way. So, absent of colonial intervention, we would have remained as we were, ie fragmented and vulnerable.

You better believe it's not baseless. As an Igbo, I'd rather live under subjugation of a non African invader than under the current Hauas-Fulani imperialism in Igboland, and given any chance anyday, would not fail to aid in Nigeria disintegration.

The imperialist in London know this, and would not fail to use it to keep the Hausa-Fulani caretakers of their Nigeria colonial estate in line,strengthening the Biafra struggle and threatening not to supply Nigeria with weapons and also blocking their attempts to access any weapon from any where, should Nigerian leaders fail or refuse to keep to any of their anti African fiscal and economic policies. This way, they can force down any anti African policy down the necks of these Hausa-Fulani caretakers without any complaint from them, as they would reason they stand to lose more should Nigeria disintegrate.

The current colonial set ups was perfectly made to divide the people and enable continuous exploitation.

Kill the current set ups, create new nations that would naturally merge with each other on equal agreed and mutually accepted terms and watch imperialism die natural death.

This is not a rocket science.

7 Likes

Re: Can African Political Unification Make It The Next China? by pazienza(m): 8:50am On Jun 19, 2017

A mere dream! Tell me. Who and who are those ethnic groups that will mutually agree to form nations? Is it Yoruba and Igbo? Is it Hausa and Tivs? Is it Ashanti and Ewe? There is no reason to suppose that any of these ethnic groups will decide of their own volition to form nation-states. They are ALL competitive, and none regard the other as ''natural allies''. Any unification will in essence be ''forced'' in one way or the other.

Yes! We will, once none is being cheated or subjugated by the other. Once we all sit on round table and discuss.

Mutala Muhammad can't go and get weapons from British, massacre thousands of my people to preserve a colonial estate, only to go to Addis Ababa to be talking about Africa uniting to fight imperialism and expect to get my help.
Of course, I would naturally help the imperialist enslave us all, just to make sure we all suffer together. It's only natural.
To discuss unity against the imperialist, we must first dissolve all vestiges of imperialism, starting from the current abominations called countries. We go back to precedence ie ethnic nationalities or even tribes and from there, negotiate our union.

4 Likes

Re: Can African Political Unification Make It The Next China? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 21, 2017
Rossikki:

It's not as 'outlandish' as you think, even though it may seem so now. Ever heard of the African Unification Front (AUF)?

''The AUF was formed in August 1996. The AUF advocates for transformation of Africa into a federation, with the Pan African Parliament as the highest government, overseeing key institutions including a single currency, and one all-African army. The AUF promoted the creation of the African Union in the mid-1990s and continues to advocate for an end to neocolonialism. It has also been active in campaigns against abuses by the diamond industry, weapons traders, and unfair terms of trade in the coffee industry.''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Unification_Front

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Africa

So there is solid intellectual backing for the idea.

I do not doubt that the eventual unification of African tribes into a super entity can occur. I do not contest that such attempts have been made.

What I am saying is that our differences have always been greater than our common interests. Sadly, the urge for your tribe to "dominate" is more paramount than true progress in this continent; or at least in West Africa.

That is why the creation of a single African Nation right now will surely be disastrous. The best we can maintain now is a union similar to the Arab nations until mutual respect becomes more than an empty word.

(1) (2) (Reply)

”this Biafra Thing Will Never Work” – Olumba Olumba Warns Nnamdi Kanu, Ipob / Seven Nigerians Make List Of 20 Richest Pastors In The World / Naija Newspapers: Today's The Tribune Newspaper Headlines [25 September, 2017].

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.