Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:48 PM

Teen Depression: Causes, Symptoms And Role Of Parents In Detecting And Treating - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Teen Depression: Causes, Symptoms And Role Of Parents In Detecting And Treating (355 Views)

Teen Depression, Causes And Solutions / Neolife Products For Shrinking And Treating Fibroid / 11-Year-Old Blind And Cripple Girl Abandoned By Her Parents In Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Teen Depression: Causes, Symptoms And Role Of Parents In Detecting And Treating by BaryPresh(m): 9:38am On Jun 18, 2017
Teen Depression - Bary Presh's Blog

Teen Depression is the primary cause of illness and disability for both boys and girls aged 10-19 years - World Health Organisation.

"Whenever I'm depressed, I feel less worthy, unlovable and suicidal. I don't feel happy about anything or anyone, not even the things I love to do".

This is a usual saying by patients of teen depression. According to statistics, girls between the range of ages 12-20 are twice as depressed as boys in same age bracket. So today, we shall hence be looking at the causes and possible solutions of teen depression.

POSSIBLE CAUSES OF TEEN DEPRESSION

The exact cause of depression is unclear and may involve a combination of factors. Depression results from a complex of many factors including social, psychological and biological factors - W.H.O.

Depression often run in families. This means genetics can play a role, as an individual whose blood relative suffer from depression stands a higher risk. Biologically, neurotransmitters helps carry signals in the brain. A malfunctioning or impairment of these neurotransmitters could therefore lead to depression.

In addition, cardiovascular disease and changing hormone levels as well as substance abuse may intensify depression. Note that some street drugs can affect a person’s mood.

You may also read: Psychoactive drugs

Another cause of depression is stress. While a little stress can be healthy, excessive stress can nevertheless be physically and psychologically harmful. Being overly stressed can plunge a biologically vulnerable and susceptible teen into depression.

Stress-related factors linked to teen depression may include death of a loved one, divorce or separation of one’s parents​. Teen depression can also be brought by physical and sexual abuse, a serious accident, illness and learning disability. When a teen feels unloved or rejected by the very people he or she expects enough love from, it can cause psychological problems thereby leading to depression.

A very common scenario is that of a student whose parents set unrealistic, high expectations in his/her academic achievement and the child continually fails to reach the target. Bullying, uncertainty about the future, emotional estrangement by a depressed parent are other contributors to teen depression. Parental unpredictability, loneliness, consistent failure can however lead to a depressed mood.

Read full article on my blog: [url] http://www.barypresh.com.ng/2017/06/teen-depression-causes-solutions.html?m=1[/url]
Re: Teen Depression: Causes, Symptoms And Role Of Parents In Detecting And Treating by pressplay411(m): 10:39am On Jun 18, 2017
Nothing causes Teen depression like peer pressure.
Most teenagers are so confused in school when their parents don't give them a sense of self confidence and secured future.
Another cause is failure of Admission exams, viz Jamb and Waec. This make them fall behind their peers resulting in a sense of shame and lack of direction. It becomes the parents job to encourage them, invest in their skill building or support their talent and ensure their preparation for the next exams is fully engaged.

Depression can be incredible. You wonder why a teenager with do much years ahead of them can possibly be depressed but trust me, even the slightest provocation can lead to loss of purpose and future leading to one questioning their existence. It becomes the responsibility of parents to ensure their kids don't put all their eggs in one basket as if without passing exams, they're already failures.
But occasionally teenagers are dealing with puberty changes, sudden awareness of self, interest in security, etc. Disappointment in school crush could also spark depression, it becomes important for parents and siblings to pay attention to let them know it's just a phase.

(1) (Reply)

Please Where Can I Get Tested For HIV / 5 Reasons Why You Need To Clean Out Your Home. / Hot:uwell CROWN III Sub Ohm Tank $19.16

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.