Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,817 members, 7,806,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:17 PM

Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police (6952 Views)

IGP Says Police Is The Least Corrupt Of All Nigerian Institutions / ’30 APC Members Killed In Political Violence In Rivers’ / Dino Melaye Released, Says Police Exhibited Professionalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by safeact(m): 8:15pm On Jan 24, 2010
[s]It has been reliably reported that another crisis has again been started in sokoto,d northern part of nigeria after an argument between two individuals at one of d hospital. Channel TV has said that this has resulted to continual lost of lives and properties!  [/s] 

[s]Two people are feared dead in a  sectarian violence which erupted in Sokoto state in North-Western Nigeria, in the early hours of today January 24, 2010.

Several people are said to be wounded while house and cars have been destroyed.

Trouble is reported to have started over an argument at the Usman Dan Fodio teaching hospital school of nursing which almost left one female student dead, with properties with the institution damaged.

The violence spread to the Tudunwada area of the state where about three houses and cars were burnt.

Pockets of violence were also reported at the diplomat and Kofar Atiku areas of the State.
It took the intervention of military personnel who arrived at the scene to forestall an escalation of the violence.

The Level of damage to lives and properties are yet to be confirmed, but reports reaching our studios have it that a few people have been affected in the violent crisis.

We will keep you updated on this development in subsequent reports.[/s]
http://www.channelstv.com/newsdetails.php?news_id=15821

Sokoto state Police Command has said that the recent incident in the state has no connection with religion or tribal differences.
The state commissioner of police, Alhaji Abubakar Muhammad confirmed this while briefing newsmen in his office, Saturday.

Muhammad explained that investigations revealed that a group of miscreants believed to be thieves, entered into the residence of one (name withheld) at Tudun Wada area where some members of the family were beaten up and serious injuries inflicted on them and the sum of N14, 500, handsets, Television set, and other valuables collected.

The Police investigations also revealed that the attacked residents plan to offer money to the miscreants as demanded but according to the commissioner,” But unfortunately they inflicted injuries on the people”, he added.

Accordingly, the commissioner disclosed that at the same time, the miscreants entered into the residence of one (name withheld) but could not get access to the rooms so they set the house ablazed as a result a 55 years old father and his son of 18 years, were admitted on critical condition due to suffocation and later on, the son died at Usman Danfodio Teaching Hospital.

The command has arrested six people suspected be in connection with the incident namely Nasiru Adamu, Yusuf Ibrahim, Shamsu Salmanu, Tukur Abu, Salmanu Ahmad and Mu’azu Muhammad.

Muhammad recalled that similar incident happened on 2nd of January, this year, where one Nasiru Muhammad Mabera was inflicted with injuries by suspected miscreants and out of four of them one was arrested.

The commissioner confirmed that the case at hand is pure a house breaking and thief.

“His command will not relent and is ever- ready to protect the lives and property of every law abiding citizen”, Muhammad confirmed.     

http://www.triumphnewspapers.com/SOK2412010.html
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by aloyemeka2: 8:18pm On Jan 24, 2010
Nigeria is gone. RIP Naija.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by saintneo(m): 8:21pm On Jan 24, 2010
toooooooooo madalaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by presido1: 8:21pm On Jan 24, 2010
This can't be true. Link please.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 24, 2010
Source please
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by safeact(m): 8:36pm On Jan 24, 2010
Listen to Channels Tv news! Dstv 134. What a failed country!
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jan 24, 2010
Get us a damn link and stop trippin
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by safeact(m): 9:06pm On Jan 24, 2010
@blue -tooth, dnt u have access to DSTV? Sorry 2 disappoint u, if u want a web link,i might not be able 2provide it at d moment! U can as well help me by ciicking into channels tv website, then google sokoto crisis. MR THOMAS!
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by asha80(m): 9:13pm On Jan 24, 2010
Bluetooth google is your friend.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by blackmann(m): 9:18pm On Jan 24, 2010
i'm beginning to wonder why most of these uncalled for violences are always happening in the north. any small thing, killing and burning. are these pple lower animals? na serious wah.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by 9ijaprince(m): 9:18pm On Jan 24, 2010
Just give us ur source. Chikena!
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by real4life: 9:19pm On Jan 24, 2010
What do you hope to gain by spreading false rumours?

There was an armed robbery attack yesterday in Sokoto and at least two people lost their lives. Most of the robbers were even arrested and I listened to this on bbchausa this morning. Please the moderator should delete this thread
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by blackmann(m): 9:19pm On Jan 24, 2010
i just read it on channels website

http://www.channelstv.com/headlines.php
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by real4life: 9:22pm On Jan 24, 2010
blackmann:

i just read it on channels website

I am afraid that is not true, Nigerian journalists are terrible
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by edoyad(m): 9:24pm On Jan 24, 2010
It's true i just read it on the channels website. Details aren't much but 2 people were killed and it started from an argument in hospital or something.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by safeact(m): 9:27pm On Jan 24, 2010
@9japrince, are u deaf or u dont understand English in d night? @real4life, u are d rumour spreader and not me, atulu. @blackman, thanx my dear. My people perish out of ignorant.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by real4life: 9:28pm On Jan 24, 2010
For those who can speak hausa, here is the news from bbc website and I can guarantee it is more reliable

Hukumomi sun ce harin da aka kai a Sokoto, fashi ne.

Hukumomin 'yan sanda a jihar Sakkwaton Najeriya sun nisanta lamarin da ya faru a wata unguwa dake babban birnin jihar a yau daga alaka da addini ko kabilanci.
A wajen wani taron manema labarai da ya kira, kwamishinan 'yan sandan jihar, Abubakar Mohammed ya ce harin da wasu mutane suka kaiwa wasu
gidaje biyu a unguwar Tudun Wada, wanda yayi sanadiyyar salwantar
rai akalla daya, da kuma dukiyoyi , aiki ne na 'yan fashi da makami wanda ake samu jefi jefi a garin.

Ya ce sun kama mutane shidda dangane da lamarin, kuma suna taimakawa 'yan sanda wajen bincike.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hausa/news/story/2010/01/100123_sokoto-update.shtml
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by presido1: 9:30pm On Jan 24, 2010
@Real4life,

The thing u posted happened yesterday but channel TV's report happened today. Do you stay in Sokoto or nearby?
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by Zuha(f): 9:31pm On Jan 24, 2010
Violence erupts in Sokoto
Posted 24,Jan. 2010
Two people are feared dead in a sectarian violence which erupted in Sokoto state in North-Western Nigeria, in the early hours of today January 24, 2010.

Several people are said to be wounded while house and cars have been destroyed.

Trouble is reported to have started over an argument at the Usman Dan Fodio teaching hospital school of nursing which almost left one female student dead, with properties with the institution damaged.

The violence spread to the Tudunwada area of the state where about three houses and cars were burnt.

Pockets of violence were also reported at the diplomat and Kofar Atiku areas of the State.
It took the intervention of military personnel who arrived at the scene to forestall an escalation of the violence.

The Level of damage to lives and properties are yet to be confirmed, but reports reaching our studios have it that a few people have been affected in the violent crisis.

We will keep you updated on this development in subsequent reports.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by Uche2nna(m): 9:32pm On Jan 24, 2010
sad undecided
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by edoyad(m): 9:34pm On Jan 24, 2010
@real4life at this juncture nobody can say which of the sources is right. The important thing is that only two lives were lost, as long as those lives were not plateau state or ibo lives i'm sure nothing will come of this.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by real4life: 9:35pm On Jan 24, 2010
I am an indegene and my house is near kofar Atiku so let me call home now and get back to you
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 24, 2010

but why has the news not spread if it was really true
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by duality(m): 9:38pm On Jan 24, 2010
people will go all length to give nigeria a bad image even on nairaland. terrible!!

people just want to hear bad news. well , they will always find a way to get it.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by Zuha(f): 9:40pm On Jan 24, 2010
Because if it is only 2 people that dies in Nigeria, it is not taken seriously. Since the country is on auto-pilot it will take the death of 100 people for it to be taken seriously!!
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by Afam(m): 9:44pm On Jan 24, 2010
It seems yet again that nothing gives Nigerians living outside Nigeria so much joy as hearing negative news about Nigeria even if such news items are fabricated, rumors or plain lies.

I really don't know what the motive or satisfaction from these shameful positions is but this is a sad development.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by real4life: 9:48pm On Jan 24, 2010
@edoyad

i just called Sokoto now and someone on the ground told me that Sokoto is very calm. But there was some tension earlier in the day because of the reported armed robbery case

Aparently after the armed robbery at Tudun Wada there was tension because nobody knew what was happening. And unfortunately the two people killed were Southerners so that added to the confusion. But the situation is under control now
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by safeact(m): 9:52pm On Jan 24, 2010
Pls bluetooth, tnk God u v confirmed it. I dnt carry rumours. Real4life is a northerner and he doesnt want to say d truth because it hurts. My post is a cönfirmed truth, tune 2 cbannels televisiön news and u will hear it urself!!! People are yet to be aware of this recent development bt nigeria media like NTA and frsc are yet 2 carry it maybe 2avoid tension in d nation, but till tomorow and you might see it in d print media. I think d real problem of nigeria are caused by most northerners like REAL4LIFE.
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by real4life: 9:55pm On Jan 24, 2010
safeact:

Pls bluetooth, tnk God u v confirmed it. I dnt carry rumours. Real4life is a northerner and he doesnt want to say d truth because it hurts. My post is a cönfirmed truth, tune 2 cbannels televisiön news and u will hear it urself!!! People are yet to be aware of this recent development bt nigeria media like NTA and frsc are yet 2 carry it maybe 2avoid tension in d nation, but till tomorow and you might see it in d print media. I think d real problem of nigeria are caused by most northerners like REAL4LIFE.

Suit yourself
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by safeact(m): 9:59pm On Jan 24, 2010
Thank u. D news is on now! Watch dis 10pm news and prof me wrong. Onye hausa .
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 24, 2010
Poster
i am not doubting your story,all i asked for was a link to the story which is the standard on NL if you are bringing a copy and paste story,
Re: Violence In Sokoto? Not Religious/Political Says Police by mamagee3(f): 10:07pm On Jan 24, 2010
Violence in Nigeria is getting completely out of hand.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? / FG Spends N4.83 Trillion From Bonds, Treasury Bills To Settle Borrowing From CBN / Prof Achebe Rejects CFR Award Offer By Pres. Jonathan - SaharaReporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.