Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured (14695 Views)

Idris Derby Visited By Chadian Legislators At His Temporary Base In The Forest / Devastating Aftermath Of Hurricane Irma In The Caribbean(Photos) / Heartbreaking Photos From The Forest Fire That Killed 62 In Portugal. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by omusiliyu(m): 2:41am On Jun 19, 2017
Raging forest fires in Portugal have killed at least 62 people, most of whom burnt to death in their cars, the government said on Sunday, in one of the worst such disasters in recent history.

The fire broke out on Saturday in the municipality of Pedrogao Grande in central Portugal, before spreading fast across several fronts.

On Sunday, nearly 900 firefighters and 300 vehicles were still battling the blaze as scenes of devastation could be seen around the town.

“Unfortunately, this seems to be the greatest tragedy we have seen in recent years in terms of forest fires,” said a visibly moved Prime Minister Antonio Costa, who declared three days of mourning starting Sunday.

The flowing expanse of hills situated between Pedrogao Grande, Figueiro do Vinhos to the west and Castanheira de Pera to the north, which 24 hours before had glowed bright green with eucalyptus plants and pine trees, were completely gutted by the flames.

A thick layer of white smoke hovered over either side of a national motorway for a distance of about 20 kilometres, as blackened trees leaned listlessly over charred soil.

A burnt-out car sat outside partly destroyed and abandoned houses, while a few metres away police in face masks surrounded the corpse of a man hidden under a white sheet.

Secretary of State for the Interior Jorge Gomes said 62 people burned to death, mostly trapped in their cars engulfed by flames in the Leiria region.

“It is difficult to say if they were fleeing the flames or were taken by surprise,” he said. More than 50 people were injured, five critically, including one child and four firefighters.

“The number of fatalities could still rise,” Costa said. “The priority now is to save those people who could still be in danger.”

The European Union said it would provide firefighting planes following a request from Lisbon. “France has offered three planes through the EU Civil Protection Mechanism and they will be quickly sent to assist the local emergency efforts,” EU Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management Christos Stylianides said.

Portugal was sweltering under severe heatwave over the weekend, with temperatures topping 40 degrees Celsius in several regions.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/18/portugal-more-than-20-people-killed-in-forest-fires
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by omusiliyu(m): 2:44am On Jun 19, 2017
Cc: OAM4J and Mynd44
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by olureignforever: 3:24am On Jun 19, 2017
Which kind op dey rush for FTC.

5 Likes

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by dhebo(m): 4:02am On Jun 19, 2017
try put picture now.. abi na my phone no load pix?

19 Likes

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by brunofarad(m): 4:39am On Jun 19, 2017
Sad one

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by Nobody: 4:41am On Jun 19, 2017
Very horrifying incident.

Fire said to have trapped people on a lonely stretch of highway. Scary bit...firefighters could not get to the area because of the fire's intensity.

3 Likes

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by Abaasit4real(m): 4:41am On Jun 19, 2017
Eeyah!
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by lfleak: 4:42am On Jun 19, 2017
angry
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by jomoh: 4:43am On Jun 19, 2017
Who dey move topic to FP at this time 4AM?

RIP to the dead.

1 Like

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by Nobody: 4:45am On Jun 19, 2017
dhebo:

Source:http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/18/europe/portugal-fire/index.html

1 Like

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by ayatt(m): 4:45am On Jun 19, 2017
pics
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by omoadeleye(m): 4:48am On Jun 19, 2017
dhebo:

Okay, you want to see dead body pictures right or like you are always anxious to see every dead body pictures from all tragedic news?

1 Like

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by Nobody: 4:49am On Jun 19, 2017
Na wa o
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by bellooyin(f): 4:50am On Jun 19, 2017
Bad news
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by toyinjimoh(m): 4:50am On Jun 19, 2017
sad news....May thier soul rest in peace
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by Azam101: 4:51am On Jun 19, 2017
I pray to Almighty God to give strength and fortitude to the family to bear the irreplaceable loss

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by okims: 4:54am On Jun 19, 2017
Three days mourning, can such thing ever happen in Nigeria
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by Nobody: 4:54am On Jun 19, 2017
Templerun95:
I hope and wish majority of them are from Evans tribe travelling all over da world
Let fire burn criminality
Amen cry cry cry cry

And you are human being oooo??

5 Likes

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by ThierryJay: 4:56am On Jun 19, 2017
Templerun95:
I hope and wish majority of them are from Evans tribe travelling all over da world
Amen cry cry cry cry

Your comment is terrible and makes you no better than a radical terrorist. Please modify it.

From upscale Grenfell to rustic Portuguese forests, there's an infernal rage across Europe. Really sad to see people experience hell on earth.

Death by fire is probably the worst way to die. I feel for the victims and may their souls rest in peace.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by ibkgab001: 4:58am On Jun 19, 2017
PLEASE SOMEONE IS SINGING OUTSIDE BY THE HOUR OF THE DAY

EDIDE EMU SARI JE
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by larrymoore(m): 5:01am On Jun 19, 2017
heavy rainfall in some part but extreme dryness in another, this same earth

3 Likes

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by legendte(m): 5:03am On Jun 19, 2017
Templerun95:
Amen cry cry cry cry
Smh
But they are not responsible for your misery.

I know how you feel my brother. I can imagine how much pain you feel when the only land your grandfather had was sold to one Rich Igboman. Staying at ghetto and forming we own Lagos while the Igbos are buying all the houses in VI.

I know how you feel man. You really need help.

19 Likes

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by jiangchu: 5:07am On Jun 19, 2017
the world need to take a few step backs and ask cogent questions. WHAT IS REALLY WRONG?
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by madridguy(m): 5:11am On Jun 19, 2017
RIP to them.
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by budosky(m): 5:11am On Jun 19, 2017
Chai!!
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by Templerun95(f): 5:14am On Jun 19, 2017
legendte:

Smh
But they are not responsible for your misery.

I know how you feel my brother. I can imagine how much pain you feel when the only land your grandfather had was sold to one Rich Igboman. Staying at ghetto and forming we own Lagos while the Igbos are buying all the houses in VI.

I know how you feel man. You really need help.
kip on buying everything with Evans type of money

When time reach lasg go takeover d houses...and send ur pple back to alaigbo land of d sun cry cry

8 Likes

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by SmartMugu: 5:19am On Jun 19, 2017
Templerun95:
Amen cry cry cry cry
Does this statement of yours make any sense to you? Innocent people in Portugal just died and you're relating their death to Evans in a Lagos prison. Are u mentally ok?

5 Likes

Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by abdulaz: 5:21am On Jun 19, 2017
What is happening in Europe, first it was Greenfell and now Portugal.

I hope they won't say it was terrorist affiliated.
Re: 62 Die In Devastating Forest Fire In Portugal, 50 Injured by Kakamorufu(m): 5:23am On Jun 19, 2017
disaster. sorry Portugal

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Saudi Throws Kenyan Maid Out Of Top Floor Window / Italy PM Says Companies Can Buy Russian Natural Gas In Rubles / Kojo Mensah Attempts To Commit Suicide At Ghana's Parliament House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.