Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,793 members, 7,802,521 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

Decay In Nigeria Today. Who's To Blame? Colonial Master Or Nigerians? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Decay In Nigeria Today. Who's To Blame? Colonial Master Or Nigerians? (3004 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Did Anyone Notice The Fake Likes On If You Re To Vote Today Who Will You Vote Fo / The Most Influencial And Popular Governor In Nigeria Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Decay In Nigeria Today. Who's To Blame? Colonial Master Or Nigerians? by SIRBANYE(m): 10:50pm On Jan 24, 2010
Over the past few years, i have lingered on the current situation of decay and failure of the entity called Nigerians, and i have come to a conclusion that the problems of this country not only lies in the hands of our incapacitated rulers, but in the history of this country itself.
   From the inception of Nigeria's independence, from the days of the great groundnut pyramids to the snare trap oil boom, he have noticed the geometric decline of the Nigerian state and it's citizen's welfare. Who's to blame?
   From my vivid point of view, the creation of the country was not put into serious scrutiny before independence. Correct me if i am wrong Nigeria is one the most diversed ethnic body and multiple religions all in one geographical region. In a location where there are varying ethnicity and different cultures there are bound to be irreconcilable differences. The Muslims on one side and the Christians on another side and the traditionalist and other minor religions all situated in this region called Nigeria. Sir Lord Lugard should have considered carefully the implication of trying to amalgamate people of different beliefs and cultures. In my own candid opinion he undermined these facts and proceeded in creating the Nation Nigeria amidst our diversity. People say in our diversity lies our strength, but i do think in our diversity lies complications beyond we can possibly imagine.
  Not pointing a finger at any tribe or settlements, all the different tribes have there various ways of conflict resolution, an Hausa man would act like an Hausa man, an Ibo man would act like an Ibo man, so would the Yoruba Man, expect nothing different. Over the years we have tried to force ourselves to live as one, but as history can tell and also the present is telling, it has hit a brick wall. The countless numbers of lives that has been lost in one religious campaign and ethnic clashes can tell for itself. Honestly i don't think we are meant to coexist, it would take more than the intervention of the western world or it's education to bring us together. The Ibo's claim the Hausa's have taken over the leadership of the country, the Hausa's claim the Ibo's have desecrated their lands, the south-south complains of being marginalized, the Yoruba's are blamed of being tricky and manipulative, the list goes endlessly. When would we come together as one, maybe in the next 100 years, but surely not in our lifetime. Sir Lord Lugard failed to understand the fact that you cannot put Israeli's and Palestine's in one area and tell them to live as one, you all know how that would come out. Even before the arrival of our colonial masters, we had the western region, northern region, even the Benin kingdom all answerable to their head alone, they all had their different ways of life, though they traded amongst each other, but it ended there. How would the colonial masters think they could bridge this gap and create a Kingdom from different kingdoms with their respective leaders still governing them. A mistake that we must pay today even with our bloods. Maybe we were not meant to be together, or maybe the colonial masters have a different agenda up their sleeves.
   Then came the great oil boom, the detonator to our already existing problem. When ever a substance of value is found in Africa, the locals always lose their lives in unnecessary struggle for power and dominance. The oil was a gift from God to better our lives, yet till today it remains our biggest curse. Thousands of lives have been lost in senseless fights over power and control of the now booming oil monopolized economy. In the days of the oil boom, we witnessed several changes in power, from one dictator to another, lives where lost in that instant. As they would say money amplifies the true nature of a man. Instead of the revenue gotten from the oil to improve our lots, it only heightened our sense of marginalization and hate amongst ourselves. Power has being tussled from one region to another, neglecting the cries of its people. The oil as created a demon amongst ourselves, the mentality seems to be growing by the day. Political seats have been made to be as juicy as heaven itself, people would kill just to be among the political class, billions are being looted from the Nigerian treasury, no questions asked. The case of the oil is like giving a two year old child a real gun to play with instead of a toy gun, what then happens, the child would kill the people around him and if not careful could kill himself. Corruption is the result of political immaturity coupled with the abundant resources available at your disposal. Maybe GOD should not have given us oil till we saw we are matured enough to harness it for the good of the people. The root to all the problems and crisis in this country goes down to one thing POVERTY. The masses are hungry, an hungry man is also angry and tends to act irrationally. Hungry not in the sense of food, but hungry in the sense of knowledge, awareness and exposure.
   Till the day Nigerians can reason rationally and put aside greed and selfishness, maybe we might be a step into a journey of a million steps, other than that i fear greatly for this nation, i fear for the children unborn, who would have to suffer for the sins their father;s committed.
  The question remains, who is to blame? COLONIAL MASTERS OR NIGERIANS?
Re: Decay In Nigeria Today. Who's To Blame? Colonial Master Or Nigerians? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 24, 2010
we simply do not have a maintenance culture.

That's a pressing area we have to work on.

The tropical climate may also have something to do with this.
Re: Decay In Nigeria Today. Who's To Blame? Colonial Master Or Nigerians? by asha80(m): 11:38pm On Jan 24, 2010
tpia.:

we simply do not have a maintenance culture.

That's a pressing area we have to work on.

The tropical climate may also have something to do with this

If i am not mistaken the American state of Florida is in the tropics.
Re: Decay In Nigeria Today. Who's To Blame? Colonial Master Or Nigerians? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 24, 2010
asha 80:

If i am not mistaken the American state of Florida is in the tropics.

Florida is one state in southern US.

The entire Nigeria is a tropical country.
Re: Decay In Nigeria Today. Who's To Blame? Colonial Master Or Nigerians? by THEAMAKA(f): 11:59pm On Jan 24, 2010
here is my answer to this thread.
i love this song.
smiley

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXMTtOS-oKg[/flash]
Re: Decay In Nigeria Today. Who's To Blame? Colonial Master Or Nigerians? by mamagee3(f): 12:00am On Jan 25, 2010
Nigerians are to blame but the Government have a responsibility
to make sure the roads are clean and stop stealing our money
. angry

(1) (Reply)

Northerners Clapped & Cheered Whilst Watching Football & Boko haram was attackin / Resource Control: Fg Approves Plan For Bitumen Project / Jang Appoints Special Assistant On Fulani Matters!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.