Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,778 members, 7,802,388 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do (29217 Views)

6 Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do / 5 Hidden Tricks You Never Knew Your Android Phone Can Do / 6 Unbelievable Things We Do That Damage Our Smartphones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:30am On Jun 20, 2017
Our smartphones are our ultimate companions. I still wonder if dogs are still man's best friend or smartphones are taking over.

From selfies to causing trouble on Facebook and sometimes being savages on twitter, keeping up with our favorite Celebs and trolling them once in a while grin Our smartphone helps us to all that. Apart from all that, there are a couple of amazing things your smartphone could do that you never knew.

1. Function As A 3D scanner

The Institute for Visual Computing at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich) created an app that lets you scan a 3D object by simply moving your smartphone around it. A 3D model of the object appears on the screen and shows you whether you missed anything. It can also determine the absolute size of the scanned object. You can use this app to capture faces for 3D portraits or simply to copy real-world objects for later study or 3D printing.

E.g - 3DSCANN

2. Test for STDs

A dongle or attachment which performs the functions of a lab-based blood test—specifically, an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)—to test for HIV antibodies and two types of syphilis antibodies can be plugged in to a smartphone. Researchers have recently tested it in Clinics in Rwanda that work to prevent mother-to-child-transmission and in voluntary counseling and testing centers. It costs just $34 unlike the $18,450 for the original ELISA equipment, this device could aid in early diagnosis and treatment of these illnesses in developing countries.

(not yet available for public use)

3. Give You Instant Eyeglass Prescriptions

Having issues with your eyes? Don't worry, Smart Vision Labs developed the SVOne, a pocket-sized device that can measure the refractive errors in the eye and shows you a digital eyeglass prescription on your smart phone.

The company founders want the app to be used by doctors with multiple offices or limited space and to serve patients who have problems with traditional machinery or have difficulties with mobility. It'll really work out in many developing countries where millions lack eye care. According to the World Health Organization, 90 percent of the world’s visually impaired people live in low-income settings with no eye doctors available and that uncorrected refractive errors are the main cause of moderate and severe visual impairment globally.

E.g - EyeXam

4. Track Your Cholesterol Levels

Engineers at Cornell University developed an app - the Smartphone Cholesterol Application for Rapid Diagnostics, or smartCARD, to test cholesterol levels. You clamp the device, similar to a credit card reader, over your phone's camera then place a drop of your blood, sweat or saliva on the strip. Insert the strip into the device, a built-in flash illuminates the strip and an app matches the image's color values and shows results on the phone.

(app not yet available for public use)

5. Check If You're Mentally Stable grin grin
(actually assess your mental health)

Researchers at Dartmouth University created an Android app that can analyze the smartphone owner’s state of mind. The app automatically measures your sleep duration, number and length of conversations per day, physical activity, locations and time spent there, stress level, eating habits and more—24/7 and without user interaction. It uses Computational method and machine learning algorithms on the phone then assesses the data and make high-level inferences about sleep, sociability, activity, and other behaviors. The app can be used to provide real-time feedback on safety in schools and stress levels and assess the quality of teaching. It can also be used to monitor mental health, trigger intervention, and improve productivity in the workplace as well.

E.g - Mental Health Test App,

6. Help You Stay Away From Alcohol

Hey!! Don't touch that bottle of stout.. wink

The Addiction-Comprehensive Health Enhancement Support System smartphone app has designed for people with alcohol problems and sounds an alert if you stray near a high-risk location, such as a bar they previously frequented. People who used the app reported drinking less. People using the app also were more likely to consistently abstain from alcohol.

e.g - Sobriety,

7. Show You Where Gunshots Originated

Vanderbilt University's group of Researchers turned an Android smartphone into a simple shooter location system.The smartphone app uses external sensors, with the size of a pack of cards, containing microphones and a processor that detects the gunshot’s acoustic signature and exact time. The processor sends that information to the smartphone, and transmits it to other modules and uses triangulation to pinpoint the origin of the gunshot. It would work out well for the Nigerian Police.

(app not yet released for public use yet)

8. Improve Your Hearing Aid

A smartphone app could help improve the quality of life of people who use hearing aids. Most hearing aids in order to remain small and low-cost typically use small processors. Smartphones, on the other hand, have powerful processors, large memories, microphones, speakers, wireless technology and long-lasting batteries, which can improve the performance of hearing assistive devices. For example, a smartphone could run sophisticated algorithms to distinguish background noise signals and enhance speech.

E.g - TextHear, Earshots

The apps added to the posts are just examples not the exact app. The functionalities are almost the same but not exact. Most of the apps are still being tested. You can look them up on YouTube if you need more details and possibly a link

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:30am On Jun 20, 2017
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by hisgrace090: 7:44am On Jun 20, 2017
Impressive!!!
You tried.

1 Like

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Ajewealth123(m): 7:58am On Jun 20, 2017
Now let me go back and read

That app to check if someone dey mad should be installed on the phones of these danfo drivers and some female drivers tooo

28 Likes

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by austinereds(m): 8:05am On Jun 20, 2017
wow. this is informative! Am still trying to comprehend the Elisa test. if true that 's massive. Pinpointing gunshot origination not bad but that might be countered. Awesome write up NaijatechGuy. twale baba.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Homeboiy: 8:24am On Jun 20, 2017
Practical or.....
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:29am On Jun 20, 2017
Ajewealth123:
Now let me go back and read

That app to check if someone dey mad should be installed on the phones of these danfo drivers and some female drivers tooo

grin grin lwkmd

2 Likes

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:34am On Jun 20, 2017
austinereds:
wow. this is informative! Am still trying to comprehend the Elisa test. if true that 's massive. Pinpointing gunshot origination not bad but that might be countered. Awesome write up NaijatechGuy. twale baba.
Thanks bro
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by koskilala: 10:04am On Jun 20, 2017
Wow so my DroiPad 7D can do all these?
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by ignis: 10:46am On Jun 20, 2017
LOL @ NO. 5

No Nigerian can be mentally stable.
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Obagoblog(m): 11:16am On Jun 20, 2017
Your topic doesn't correlate at all... From your post, all these can only be achieved using a third party App...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 20, 2017
Mental stability scanner gat me laughing my cortex out.
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by NaijaTechGuy(m): 12:28pm On Jun 20, 2017
Obagoblog:
Your topic doesn't correlate at all... From your post, all these can only be achieved using a third party App...

A third-party on a what?? Smartphone or Nokia Torch angry

2 Likes

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by MistadeRegal(m): 12:30pm On Jun 20, 2017
Interesting...
Tell me more.
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Techpaded(f): 1:30pm On Jun 20, 2017
truly unbelievable
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Marvel1206: 2:45pm On Jun 20, 2017
I'm more interested in the 3D scanner app. Op should have told us the name

6 Likes

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by toneawe(m): 8:19pm On Jun 20, 2017
Incomplete thread. U didn't tell us names of the apps and gadgets and how to get them or where to get them. So how do we believe they exist? Go and go more research if u don't know thier names and come back to tell us.

6 Likes

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by taiwo4love(m): 8:41pm On Jun 20, 2017
Anticipate The Fast and Furious!! Infinix Note 4 #TakeCharge Leaked Specs
https://www.nairaland.com/3873436/anticipate-fast-furious-infinix-note

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Larwin(m): 10:25pm On Jun 20, 2017
cool

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by HarveyDeven: 10:57pm On Jun 20, 2017
I have my doubts about Instant Eyeglass Prescriptions, but hey, you never know what some developers come up with...
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by REVDIMMY: 5:57am On Jun 21, 2017
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:44am On Jun 21, 2017
toneawe:
Incomplete thread. U didn't tell us names of the apps and gadgets and how to get them or where to get them. So how do we believe they exist? Go and go more research if u don't know thier names and come back to tell us.
Already added a few
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:12am On Jun 21, 2017
crotonite:
Mental stability scanner gat me laughing my cortex out.
grin grin.. I'm sure many Nigerians will fail the test grin grin
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by veekid(m): 7:31am On Jun 21, 2017

I'm not amazed; not until it can download food
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Nobody: 7:32am On Jun 21, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
grin grin.. I'm sure many Nigerians will fail the test grin grin
grin
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Victornezzar: 7:33am On Jun 21, 2017
Nwaamaikpe do d number 5 sharply
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by oshe11: 7:33am On Jun 21, 2017
who told U dey r unbelievable

or are U saying U r lying n we shudnt beliv U

Infact wat Naija want their fones to do is predict a winning team b4 d match starts n also tell dem wen dem go blowundecided

2 Likes

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 21, 2017
Comparing my phone to a dog Phones can't cuddle. Phones can't kill snakes. Phones can't chop slippers. Phone can't wag tails and b cute e.t.c

2 Likes

Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by cr7rooney10(m): 7:34am On Jun 21, 2017
It can be use to check wether Nigeria will be great or not
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by napoleon77(m): 7:35am On Jun 21, 2017
Provides me with updates on the health and status of my President
Re: 8 Unbelievable Things You Never Knew Your Smartphone Could Do by Iamwrath: 7:36am On Jun 21, 2017
U don minit !!!

You mean i can turn on my camera and scan somebody to know if they are mentally stable ??

Weidon OP , you can lie !!!!! these are not functions of smart phone sha , they are third party programmings

as for the xeedorf asking for app to locate Buhari , You wan beg money ni abi you wan borrow money ? either way , all you need it google

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Slam NCC’s IMEI, Phone IDs Directive: We Deserve Some Privacy / Nokia Asha 501: First Phone On Nokia Asha OS / Which Nigerian Network Has The Cheapest Call Tariff?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.