Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,869 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS (1471 Views)

Bible Versions Are Better Than Qur'anic Translations / Own An Ipad, Get Different Bible Versions, Concordance, Audio Bibles / How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 25, 2010
It will now be easy for us to analyze a Christian's claim about his Holy Book.
SEPARATING THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF
Before we scrutinize the various versions, let us clarify our own belief regarding the Books of God. When we say that we believe in the Tauraat, the Zaboor, the Injeel and the Qur'an, what do we really mean? We already know that the Holy Qur'an is the infallible Word of God, revealed to our Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhummed Mustapha (Peace be upon him) word for word, through the agency of the Archangel Jibraeel, (known as Gabriel in English), and perfectly preserved and protected from human tampering for the past fourteen hundred years! 1 Even hostile critics of Islam have grudgingly vouched for the purity of the Holy Qur'an: "THERE IS PROBABLY IN THE WORLD NO OTHER BOOK WHICH HAS REMAINED TWELVE CENTURIES (now fourteen) WITH SO PURE A TEXT." — (Sir William Muir)
The Tauraat we Muslims believe in is not the "Torah" of the Jews and the Christians, though the words — one Arabic, the other Hebrew — are the same. We believe that whatever the Holy Prophet Moses (Peace be upon him) preached to his people, was the revelation from God Almighty, but that Moses was not the author of those "books" attributed to him by the Jews and the Christians. 2
Likewise, we believe that the Zaboor was the revelation of God granted to Hazrat Dawood (David) (Peace be upon him), but that the present Psalms associated with his name are not that revelation. The Christians themselves do not insist that David is the sole author of "his" Psalms.3
1. Whether Muslim or non-Muslim, you do not have lo accept this claim on faith alone. You can verify the fact that Al-Qur'an is the Word of God. See "AL-QURAN- The Miracle of Miracles";
2- More evidence later on — "Moses not the author of the Biblical "Torah."
3, Later on you’ll read how Christian "Brains Trust" confess — "Author; Principally David, though there are other writers."
What about the Injeel? INJEEL means the "Gospel" or "good news" which Jesus Christ preached during his short ministry. The "Gospel" writers often mention that Jesus going about and preaching the Gospel (the Injeel):
1. "And Jesus went . . . preaching the gospel . . . and healing every disease among the people." (Matthew 9:35)
2. ", but whosoever shall lose his fife for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it." (Mark 8:35)
3. ", preached the gospel. . ." (Luke 20:1)

The "gospel" is a frequently-used word, but what Gospel did Jesus preach? Of the 27 books of the New Testament, only a small fraction can be accepted as the words of Jesus. The Christians boast about the Gospels according to St. Matthew, according to St. Mark, according to St. Luke and according to St. John, but there is not a single Gospel "according" to (St.) Jesus himself! We sincerely believe that everything Christ (May the peace and blessings of God be upon him) preached was from God. That was the Injeel, the good news and the guidance of God for the Children of Israel. In his life-time Jesus never wrote a single word, nor did he instruct anyone to do so. What passes off as the "GOSPELS" today are the works of anonymous hands!
The question before us is: "Do you accept that the Bible is God's Word?" The question is really in the form of a challenge. The questioner is not simply seeking enlightenment. The question is posed in the spirit of a debate. We have every right to demand in a similar vein — "Which Bible are you talking about?", we may ask. "Why, there is only ONE Bible!" he mutters.
THE CATHOLIC BIBLE
Holding the "Douay" Roman Catholic Version of the Bible aloft in my hand, I ask, "Do YOU accept THIS Bible as the Word of God?" For reasons best known to themselves, the Catholic Truth Society have published their Version of the Bible in a very short, stumpy form. This Version is a very odd proportion of the numerous Versions in the market today. The Christian questioner is taken aback. "What Bible is that?" he asks. "Why, I thought you said that there was only ONE Bible!" I remind him. "Y-e-s," he murmurs hesitantly, "but what Version is that?" "Why, would that make any difference?" I enquire. Of course it does, and the professional preacher knows that it does. He is only bluffing with his "ONE Bible" claim.
The Roman Catholic Bible was published at Rheims in 1582, from Jerome's Latin Vulgate and reproduced at Douay in 1609. As such the RCV (Roman Catholic Version) is the oldest Version that one can still buy today. Despite its antiquity, the whole of the Protestant world, including the "cults"* condemn the RCV because it contains seven extra "books" which they contemptuously refer to as the "apocrypha" i.e. of DOUBTFUL AUTHORITY. Notwithstanding the dire warning contained in the Apocalypse, which is the last book in the RCV (renamed as "Revelation" by the Protestants), it is "revealed":
". . . If any man shall add to these things (or delete) God shall add unto him the plagues written in this Book."
(Revelation 22:18-19)
But who cares! They do not really believe! The Protestants have bravely expunged seven whole books from their Book of God! The outcasts are:
The Book of Judith
The Book of Tobias
The Book of Baruch
The Buck of Esther, etc.
* This disparaging title is given by the orthodox to Jehovah's Witnesses, the Seventh Day Adventists and a thousand other sects and denominations with whom they do not see eye to eye.
THE PROTESTANT BIBLE
Sir Winston Churchill has some pertinent things to say about the Authorised Version (AV) of the Protestant Bible, which is also widely known as the "King James Version (KJV)".
"THE AUTHORISED VERSION OF THE BIBLE WAS PUBLISHED IN 1611 BY THE WILL AND COMMAND OF HIS MAJESTY KING JAMES THE 1ST WHOSE NAME IT BEARS TILL TODAY."
The Roman Catholics, believing as they do that the Protestants have mutilated the Book of God, are yet aiding and abetting the Protestant "crime" by forcing their native converts to purchase the Authorised Version (AV) of the Bible, which is the only Bible available in some 1500 languages of the lesser developed nations of the world. The Roman Catholics milk their cows, but the feeding is left to the Protestants! The overwhelming majority of Christians — both Catholics and Protestant — use the Authorised (AV) or the King James Version (KJV) as it is alternatively called.
GLOWING TRIBUTES
First published, as Sir Winston says, in 1611, and then revised in 1881 (RV), and now re-revised and brought up to date as the Revised Standard Version (RSV) 1952, and now again re-re-revised in 1971 (still RSV for short). Let us see what opinion Christendom has of this most revised Bible, the RSV:-
1. "THE FINEST VERSION WHICH HAS BEEN PRODUCED IN THE PRESENT CENTURY." — (Church of England Newspaper)
2. "A COMPLETELY FRESH TRANSLATION BY SCHOLARS OF THE HIGHEST EMINENCE." — (Times literary Supplement)
3. "THE WELL-LOVED CHARACTERISTICS OF THE AUTHORISED VERSION COMBINED WITH A NEW ACCURACY OF TRANSLATION." — (Life and Work)
4. "THE MOST ACCURATE AND CLOSE RENDERING OF THE ORIGINAL" — (The Times)
The publishers (Collins) themselves, in their notes on the Bible at the end of their production, say on page 10: "THIS BIBLE (RSV), IS THE PRODUCT OF THIRTY-TWO SCHOLARS, ASSISTED BY AN ADVISORY COMMITTEE REPRESENTING FIFTY CO-OPERATING DENOMINATIONS." Why all this boasting? To make the gullible public buy their product? All these testimonies convince the purchaser that he is backing the right horse, with the purchaser little suspecting that he is being taken for a ride.
"THE WORLD'S BEST SELLER"
But what about the Authorised Version of the Bible (AV), the "World's Best Seller?" These Revisers, all good salesmen, have some very pretty things to say about it. However, their page iii, paragraph six of the PREFACE of the RSV reads;
"THE KING JAMES VERSION (alternative description of AV) HAS WITH GOOD REASON BEEN TERMED 'THE NOBLEST MONUMENT OF ENGLISH PROSE.’ ITS REVISERS IN 1881 EXPRESSED ADMIRATION FOR 'ITS SIMPLICITY, ITS DIGNITY, ITS POWER, ITS HAPPY TURNS OF EXPRESSION , THE MUSIC OF ITS CADENCES, AND THE FELICITIES OF ITS RHYTHM.’ IT ENTERED, AS NO OTHER BOOK HAS, INTO THE MAKING OF THE PERSONAL CHARACTER AND THE PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS OF THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING PEOPLES. WE OWE TO IT AN INCALCULABLE DEBT."
Can you, dear reader, imagine a more magnificent tribute being paid to the "Book of Books" than the above? I, for one, cannot. Let the believing Christian, now steel himself for the un-kindest blow of all from his own beloved Lawyers of Religion; for in the very same breath they say:
"YET THE KING JAMES VERSION HAS GRAVE DEFECTS." And, "THAT THESE DEFECTS ARE SO MANY AND SO SERIOUS AS TO CALL FOR REVISION . . ." This is straight from the horse's mouth, i.e. the orthodox Christian scholars of "the highest eminence." Another galaxy of Doctors of Divinity are now required to produce an encyclopaedia explaining the cause of those GRAVE AND SERIOUS DEFECTS in their Holy Writ and their reasons for eliminating them.
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by theseeker2: 11:04pm On Jan 25, 2010
i have always wondered, what is there to REVISE in a book of God. Removing entire verses, chapters and even books. Playing fast and loose with the word of God
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Mavenb0x(m): 11:34pm On Jan 25, 2010
Law prince, why not leave us Christians to our book of fairy tales rendered in various translations by various intoxicated people and face your own palaver that you have been instructed to follow in the Koran? What exactly do you intend to achieve on this thread, besides cast aspersion and argue breathlessly to achieve no sensible end? *shakes head* undecided undecided
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by AbuZola3(m): 11:53pm On Jan 25, 2010
'whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him and in the Hereafter he will be among the losers' Quran 3:85
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Mavenb0x(m): 12:10am On Jan 26, 2010
^^^ Yeah so why don't you guys just leave us alone then, since our fate is determined? Shoo!! undecided undecided undecided
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by AbuZola3(m): 12:23am On Jan 26, 2010
We have left you, is just that some of ur people are taunting us
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by AbuZola3(m): 7:39pm On Feb 15, 2010
/smiley
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 15, 2010
The fact remains that the term bible refers to the 73 books that were canonised at the synod of hippo in 393CE and later ratified at the local council of carthage in 397 CE.ANY THING LESS THAN THAT IS NOT A BIBLE BUT RATHER A COLLECTION OF INCOMPLETE SCRIPTURES
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by AbuZola3(m): 8:04pm On Feb 15, 2010
Hehehe
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:33pm On Feb 15, 2010
The Bible before the Koran and Ancient Greek Mythology before both, I wonder who is plagiarizing who wink
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by AbuZola3(m): 9:17pm On Feb 15, 2010
The Quran can never be compared with the Bible, there re alot difference
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 15, 2010
I wonder when abuzola will get a girl or husband, and take a break from his repetitive posts on NL
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by AbuZola3(m): 9:25pm On Feb 15, 2010
Tpia na u i want o, na u i dey target, embrace my religion
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by TrueSeeker(m): 10:48pm On Feb 15, 2010
@ poster
How many Koran versions or translations do u you have?
Olodo, u only mentioned just English translations which is subject to revise as the language change. Are they still teaching the same thing?
Some version of Koran were known to be vary from Chapters (Surah) to Verses (hayah), why some had completely lost when their memorizers lost their head in battles.
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2010
TrueSeeker:

@ poster
How many Koran versions or translations do u you have?
Olodo, u only mentioned just English translations which is subject to revise as the language change. Are they still teaching the same thing?
Some version of Koran were known to be vary from Chapters (Surah) to Verses (hayah), why some had completely lost when their memorizers lost their head in battles.

grrrrrrr, mr man peoduce ur proof, look at the bible version too obvious
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nobody: 1:27pm On Feb 16, 2010
No finite book can contain EVERYTHING about the ineffable One. That is why the translations/arguments will go on and on and on and on and on and on . . .
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 2:06pm On Feb 16, 2010
Geee
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nezan(m): 3:00pm On Feb 16, 2010
The koran also has many versions and is most unreliable.

This is what Muslim and non-Muslim scholars say about the known variations/versions within the Qur’an being used in the world today:

• "owing to the fact that the kufic script in which the Koran was originally written contained no indication of vowels or diacritical points, variant readings are recognized by Muslims as of equal authority." (N.J. Dawood, The Koran, Middlesex, England: Penguin Books, 1983, p 10, introduction to Dawood’s translation of the Koran)

• "Lists of the differences between the two transmissions are long, , (however) The simple fact is that none of the differences, whether vocal (vowel and diacritical points) or graphic (basic letter), between the transmission of Hafs and the transmission of Warsh has any great effect on the meaning. Many are differences which do not change the meaning at all, and the rest are differences with an effect on meaning in the immediate context of the text itself, but without any significant wider influence on Muslim thought. One difference (Q. 2/184) has an effect on the meaning that might conceivably be argued to have wider ramifications." (Adrian Brockett, `The Value of the Hafs and Warsh transmissions for the Textual History of the Qur'an', Approaches to the History of the Interpretation of the Qur'an, ed. Andrew Rippin; Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1988, p 34,37)

• "the Reading of Abu `Amr in the version of al-Duri , prevails in the Sudan, Nigeria, and Central Africa." (Labib as-Said, The Recited Koran: A History of the First Recorded Version, tr. B. Weis, et al, Princeton, New Jersey: The Darwin Press, 1975, p. 84)

(C)ertain variant readings existed and, indeed, persisted and increased as the Companions who had memorised the text died, and because the inchoate (basic) Arabic script, lacking vowel signs and even necessary diacriticals to distinguish between certain consonants, was inadequate. , In the 4th Islamic century, it was decided to have recourse (to return) to "readings" (qira'at) handed down from seven authoritative "readers" (qurra'); in order, moreover, to ensure accuracy of transmission, two "transmitters" (rawi, pl. ruwah) were accorded to each. There resulted from this seven basic texts (al-qira'at as-sab', "the seven readings"wink, each having two transmitted versions (riwayatan) with only minor variations in phrasing, but all containing meticulous vowel-points and other necessary diacritical marks. , The authoritative "readers" are:

Nafi (from Medina; d.169/785)
Ibn Kathir (from Mecca; d.119/737)
Abu `Amr al-'Ala' (from Damascus; d.53/770)
Ibn `Amir (from Basra; d.118/736)
Hamzah (from Kufah; d.156/772)
al-Qisa'i (from Kufah; d.189/804)
Abu Bakr `Asim (from Kufah; d.158/778)

The predominant reading today, spread by Egyptian Koran readers, is that of `Asim in the transmission (riwayah) of Hafs (d. 190/805). In Morocco, however, the reading is that of Nafi` in the riwayah of Warsh (d. 197/812) and Maghrebin Korans are written accordingly. (Cyril Glassé, The Concise Encyclopedia of Islam, San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1989, p 324)

20 versions of the Qur’an!

Here is a list of the ten readers, each of which have two versions

The Readers and their Transmitted Versions

The Reader The Transmitter

"The Seven" readers

Nafi` Warsh
Qalun

Ibn Kathir al-Bazzi
Qunbul

Abu `Amr al-'Ala' Al-Duri
al-Suri

Ibn `Amir Hisham
Ibn Dhakwan

Hamzah Khalaf
Khallad

al-Qisa'i al-Duri
Abu'l-Harith

Abu Bakr `Asim Hafs
Ibn `Ayyash

"The Three" readers

Abu Ja`far Ibn Wardan
Ibn Jamaz

Ya`qub al-Hashimi Ruways
Rawh

Khalaf al-Bazzar Ishaq
Idris al-Haddad

There are even more Readers than these but these are considered the most authoritative.

"What is said about Al-Mutaawwilin (those who form wrong opinions of disbelief about their Muslim brothers). Umar bin Al-Khattab said, "I heard Hisham bin Al-Hakim reciting Surat-al-Furqan during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle (SAW). I listened to his recitation and noticed that he recited it in several different ways which Allah's Apostle (SAW) had not taught me. So I was about to jump over him during his prayer but I waited till he finished his prayer whereupon I put, either his upper garment or my upper garment, around his neck and seized him by it and asked him, "Who has taught you this Sura?" He replied, "Allah's Apostle (SAW) has taught it to me." I said (to him), "You have told a lie! By Allah, Allah's Apostle (SAW) has taught me this Sura which I have heard you reciting." So I dragged him, to Allah's Apostle (SAW), I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have heard this man reciting Surat-al-Furqan in a way which you have not taught me, and you did teach me Surat-al-Furqan." On that Allah's Apostle (SAW) said, "O Umar, release him! Recite, O Hisham." So Hisham recited before him in the way as I had heard him reciting. Allah's Apostle (SAW) said, "It has been revealed like this." Then Allah's Apostle (SAW) said, "Recite O Umar." So I recited it. The Prophet (SAW) said, "It has been revealed like this." And then he added, "This Quran has been revealed to be recited in seven different ways, so recite it which ever way easier for you." (See Hadith No. 514 Vol. 6) Vol. 9 - Apostates - Chapter 9 27/30)
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by muhsin(m): 3:52pm On Feb 16, 2010
You still can locate this junk and re-post it, Nezan?
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 3:58pm On Feb 16, 2010
The guy cannot even distinguish between translation and version.
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nezan(m): 4:05pm On Feb 16, 2010
What is the difference between translation and version? Is it not the various translations that are referred to as versions? Illiterate almajiri.
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 4:07pm On Feb 16, 2010
Olodo. Translation means to interprete while version means to upgrade.

Get the difference
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by TrueSeeker(m): 4:36pm On Feb 16, 2010
Abuzola !:

Olodo. Translation means to interprete while version means to upgrade.[size=16pt]X [/size]

Get the difference

It is obvious you do not know what translation is, you even confusing it with interpretation. I will give you an assignment go and check the meaning of translation in the dictionary.
And mind you version does not mean upgrade. Olodo
Anyway when are you going to sit for another GCE?
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nezan(m): 5:03pm On Feb 16, 2010
Abuzola !:

Get the difference

This post goes a long way to expose your illiteracy, almajiri.
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 5:37pm On Feb 16, 2010
Hahaha, is this what u can say.:
oxford dictionary: Version- to improve a thing.
Translation: express the sense of words in another language.

Hahaha, what a shame to the cross worshipper
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nobody: 6:26pm On Feb 16, 2010
Abuzola !:

Get the difference
Zola u call a graduate olodo.What then can u call ur self for failing to pass 'ordinary' jamb since 2004 till Today 16th feb 2010 ? Can u refute my claim? I trust u dare not cos i know u well well
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 8:18pm On Feb 16, 2010
I know u know me well, u even know the color of my boxer. Dumb man
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nobody: 10:49pm On Feb 16, 2010
Abuzola !:

I know u know me well, u even know the color of my boxer. Dumb man
She na lai? Anyway i will be holding a tutorial class for jamb 2010 utme candidates come sat 27th feb 2010 at alapere ketu Lagos.Fee is N100 per candidate,but as my bro on NL,u dnt need to pay.Salvation is free.Zola if u attend,i repeat if u attend,u will pass jamb dis yr insha Allah.it is well in Jesus name
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 11:26pm On Feb 16, 2010
Port recharge card for me so i can sell it and use it for my transport fare. Man mtst survive
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Nobody: 11:36pm On Feb 16, 2010
Abuzola !:

Port recharge card for me so i can sell it and use it for my transport fare. Man mtst survive
Ok give me ur no or email.I really want u to attend.U hear? Dnt 4get o.im serious
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 6:33am On Feb 17, 2010
Oh u serious ? Oya post am here
Re: THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS by Abuzola1(m): 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2010
gbaaaaaaaaaaam

(1) (2) (Reply)

Didn't Want Man To Have Knowledge, Eternal Life, Why? ? ? / Incestuous Or Incestual Fantasies Are Allowed And Praised In The Gospel Of indecency / Let Us Profess Our Faith.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.