Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Is Feminism Bad? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Feminism Bad? (842 Views)

What Is Wrong With Feminism / Is Feminism Really About Hatred Of The Male Gender? / Personal Thoughts On Feminism As A Nigerian. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Feminism Bad? by mikeycharles(m): 12:55pm On Jun 21, 2017
[center]Is Feminism bad?[/center]
Feminists, do they really exist? Yes they do, over the years the meaning of feminism have been defined by so many people, some see it as a threat towards marriage, some see it as gender equality. But in the Nigerian what is it really seen as; some view it to be an embittered spinster who takes out her “anger” on men.

First of all what is the definition of a feminist, well according to Chimamanda Adichie during one of her TED talks (Why we should all be feminists) viewed it as a person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes. The word “person” has been highlighted, notice there is no male or female, just a person, implying that a man can also be a feminist.
There have been pleas for marriage equality, gender equality, food equality (just kidding) etc. Celebrities such as Beyonce, Cher, Madonna etc. have a created a niche for themselves in the entertainment sector even as proclaimed feminists and have succeeded in their careers. A feminist doesn’t mean you should be disrespectful to men or even to fellow women, the fight for gender equality differs from society to society, I could remember Hilary Clinton during an interview saying that there was a time women were not allowed to make use of a credit card, but things have changed.
Another example is Nicki Minaj, a rapper who have been dominating the rap game for years, the rap which is mainly dominated by males have now been “overseer” by a woman, how did that happen? Did she literally kill all the men in the industry? A familiar example is our own Chimamanda Adichie who is married and still remains a feminist.
In conclusion, despite how the society tries to conform women to a particular standard different from that of their male counterparts, a person (both male and female) should not allow that to limit herself/himself from succeeding, grab hold of opportunites and become great, explore your talents , be fearless and the sky won’t just be your limit but a mere stepping stone.

Thank you for reading

entereston..com
Re: Is Feminism Bad? by mikeycharles(m): 12:59pm On Jun 21, 2017
cc: lalasticlala
seun
mynd44
ishilove
Re: Is Feminism Bad? by mikeycharles(m): 6:26pm On Jul 15, 2017
SuperstarSally:
funny how you say "explore your talents , be fearless and the sky won’t just be your limit but a mere stepping stone" or "You wanna know what scares people? Success. When you don't make moves and when you don't climb up the ladder, everybody loves you because you're not competition".

I am doing exactly what you preach brother! i am making move to pursue what i love and become the master of my own destiny. i hope you are too grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9moenEaqc1A
thank you, I wish you goodluck and also your cushion dress cheesy grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Loko: The Village where Sanusi will Exiled. / AYINLA OMOWURA:41 Years Like Yesterday / Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.