Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,840 members, 7,802,690 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill (70009 Views)

Billionaire Kidnapper, Evans Loses In Court / Kidnapper, Evans Arraigned In Court (Photos) / Nigerian Excretes 1410.9 Grams Of Cocaine, Faces Death Penalty In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jun 21, 2017
In the course of exchange of gunfire, some people might have been felled by bullets, hence people died indirectly,so technically he could still get death penalty.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 21, 2017
It was signed on February 1st, 2017. Evans is eligible for the death penalty!

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/222270-ambode-approves-death-penalty-kidnappers.html

free2ryhme:
The Law took effect post Evans arrest..In any ways, the Law cannot touch Evans because Evans did happened before the Law came into effect.
Having said that, I still believe that Evans needs 100 lashes of koboko every week for the rest of his life.

2 Likes

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jun 21, 2017

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/222270-ambode-approves-death-penalty-kidnappers.html

PDPGuy:
Generally, criminal statutes cannot have a retroactive effect i.e. ex-post factor law: the new law only kicks in from the date it was enacted/signed into law.

But Evans alleged crimes predate this new law, so it I believe it won't be applicable to his case.

LUGBE:
It won't affect Evans, but will affect next kidnapper caught in the act, Nigeria laws does not adopt retrospective approaches.

ikp120:
undecided So the law was not even in force as at the time of his arrest? undecided undecided

That alone makes me doubt if he will be sentenced to death.

This is also another clause any lawyer can exploit to beat death sentence because none of his victims died in their custody.

I'm don't support him. That's just my perspective.

SirMichael1:
Life imprisonment wont do the drill. They would have hang the idiot. angry

excanny:
The current law in Lagos stipulates 10years max.

He can't get more than that, except they can prove he committed the crime in another state where there is life imprisonment.

Newerakings:
the applicable law is the law that was in force when he committed the offence not the law newly signed by the Governor today. This is the position in section 36(12) of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. Laws does not operate retrospectively. retrospective law is a bad law in Nigeria. evans will be tried by the old law not this new one

GogobiriLalas:
If the Bill's just been passed, then it can't apply retroactively....Evans will be tried under the law as it was.

doskie:
please explain. i really like the course law.
if i could go back in life, i will choose law.

Ujpest:
Yes, for the fact that he committed the crime before the law was made...

ExInferis:

He hasn't been taken to court yet.

By the time he is, the law will already be in effect.

2 Likes

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by free2rime: 10:37pm On Jun 21, 2017
Fearlez:
Another Evans opportunistic thread seeking cheap publicity. A misleading title and old statute already passed by the Lagos state house of assembly.

You feel pained. Are you related to Evans?
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by onelife97: 10:37pm On Jun 21, 2017
What about saboteurs,traitors and looters of our public funds and crook business men??
Let's hang them all.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by excanny: 10:39pm On Jun 21, 2017
The current law in Lagos stipulates 10years max.

He can't get more than that, except they can prove he committed the crime in another state where there is life imprisonment.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by macaranta(m): 10:39pm On Jun 21, 2017
tongue
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by ikp120(m): 10:39pm On Jun 21, 2017
NubiLove:

He doesn't face death penalty. He is not eligible for it either because none of his victims died in his custody. Here is a clause in the law

The law provides for death penalty for kidnappers whose victims die in their custody, and life imprisonment for the act of kidnapping.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by tianshie(m): 10:40pm On Jun 21, 2017
LUGBE:
It won't affect Evans, but will affect next kidnapper caught in the act, Nigeria laws does not adopt retrospective approaches.

Bro, it's "retroactive."
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jun 21, 2017
The prosecutor is going to find a way to rope him in the death of the police officer attached to the boss of the Young Shall Grow... he could present that particular instance as an armed robbery gone wrong... it might not sail through but I am sure he would try.

ikp120:

He doesn't face death penalty. Here is a clause in the law

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by PMWSpirit(m): 10:46pm On Jun 21, 2017
LUGBE:
Bros it will , Evans is still under investigation, his case is not yet in any court , so long as he's been tried after this signing he will get either or both sentence
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Lexusgs430: 10:46pm On Jun 21, 2017
Good riddance to bad rubbish....
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by farem: 10:48pm On Jun 21, 2017
DONFRANSKID:
hmm speacheless
Is this English or Portuguese?
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by olalekan90(m): 10:48pm On Jun 21, 2017
sharpaly......No time
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by enemyofprogress: 10:49pm On Jun 21, 2017
Nigeria 1-0 Biafra grin grin grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by enemyofprogress: 10:49pm On Jun 21, 2017
farem:

Is this English or Portuguese?
spanish

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by ikp120(m): 10:50pm On Jun 21, 2017
NubiLove:
The prosecutor is going to find a way to rope him in the death of the police officer attached to the boss of the Young Shall Grow... he could present that particular instance as an armed robbery gone wrong... it might not sail through but I am sure he would try.

The law is very clear about it. There's no death sentence in this case. It's a case of life imprisonment.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Lexusgs430: 10:50pm On Jun 21, 2017
LUGBE:

He is still been interrogated nah? Retrospective approach gat no place with Evans.......
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by enemyofprogress: 10:51pm On Jun 21, 2017
Please have they solded his house? If yes who boughted it?
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by ayufun: 10:54pm On Jun 21, 2017
As much as I condemned Evans and kidnapping, I condemn this bill from sociology perspective. When do we start jailing those who loot our national wealth. Where's the law for white collar stealing and corporate thieves. What's the difference between Evans and Gov. Ambode? I missed a great Nigerian prophet, Fela Anikulapo. When Ambode leaves office now, we will start to hear his looting stories. What's the difference between Nigerian leaders that are stealing billions of naira and sending many Nigerians down the grave ironically.It's high time we asked our leaders, What is crime? Who's a criminal?
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by emmykk(m): 10:56pm On Jun 21, 2017
LUGBE:
this is the most foolish comment of the day

1 Like

Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Kingpee2(m): 11:00pm On Jun 21, 2017
Don't believe anything these folks tell you when it comes to rich criminals,till date no one knows the fairy tale end of Clifford Orji ,I know something I've learnt so far from my country called Nigeria ,poor thieves die and the rich thieves are just the get away crooners ,if you've followed Evans's case properly you will definitely know that there are still more richer kidnappers like him walking freely ,na who dem catch na hin be theif oo..
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by raphaeladeyele: 11:01pm On Jun 21, 2017
Good for him
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Joyzeey(f): 11:04pm On Jun 21, 2017
#TeamfreeEvans
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by doskie(m): 11:08pm On Jun 21, 2017
LUGBE:
please explain. i really like the course law.
if i could go back in life, i will choose law.
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by Ujpest: 11:10pm On Jun 21, 2017
LUGBE:
Yes, for the fact that he committed the crime before the law was made...
Re: Kidnapper Evans Faces Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment As Ambode Signs Bill by gentleedu(m): 11:12pm On Jun 21, 2017
but fg freed the master mind behind the bomb blast during Christmas which claim hundreds of life's, so why not set him free like they did to the Boko Haram member?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Landlord Caught Having Sex With A Boy In Lagos, Paraded Unclad By Mob (Pics / What Life Inside Prison Looks Like (Photos, Video) / Trevor Noye Kidnaps "Racist" White Woman, Forces Her To Watch Program On Slavery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.