Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,918 members, 7,806,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

I'm An Author Interested In Writing A Story Set In A Future Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I'm An Author Interested In Writing A Story Set In A Future Nigeria (407 Views)

Are You Interested In Learning YORUBA Language / Former Pastor & Author Of Relationshp Book, Gives Up On Marriage & Christianity / Bianca Ojukwu Sister Is African Horror Author Nuzo Onoh! Wow! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I'm An Author Interested In Writing A Story Set In A Future Nigeria by Hrolfgard: 10:34pm On Jun 21, 2017
I'm very new to this forum, so I hope I've posted this in the right section but I apologize if I haven't!

I'm an American university student studying creative writing, and I've recently been working on an idea I had for a short story. It would be set in a near-future Nigeria that has become a global power, as well as a major center for finance and education. The story would follow one of the country's (and the world's) most beloved politicians/orators as he or she approaches retirement, with a focus on their childhood and upbringing. It would ideally be in the format of a memoir or interview.

The problem I face is that I am a young white student who has never been to Nigeria before, so I am absolutely unqualified to write the story, something that I hope this post will help me make up for. This story won't be published, or even written, for many years until I feel I can represent the Nigerian cultures and people as they deserve, and that will require a LOT of research. I plan to make an extended visit to nigeria after I graduate, in part to help me write this story.
I posted this question on the Nigeria Subreddit, and was pointed to this forum for more information.

With that in mind, I'm looking for any insight into the lifeblood of Nigeria today, as well as what you all would like to see in the Nigeria of Tomorrow. Any random stories would be appreciated, especially funny ones, and anything about names, religions, tribes, common stereotypes, running jokes, or interesting conversations, etc. would go a long way to helping me avoid the usual pitfalls of a white American author writing about an African country.

I do already have some basic knowledge of Nigerian culture and history, and I'm very good at learning new things, so there is no such thing as too much information!

Thank you in advance!
Re: I'm An Author Interested In Writing A Story Set In A Future Nigeria by Tellemall: 11:24pm On Jun 21, 2017
BBC and other news outlets offer mildly accurate news about Nigeria.

The simple thing about foreign cultures and how they live day to day is that you can't learn them from people. You've got to sample it by living.

If someone told me about the funniness of Nigerians I would've thought it was unbelievable.

Live and learn.
Re: I'm An Author Interested In Writing A Story Set In A Future Nigeria by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jun 21, 2017
First off, the lingual franca is pidgin. No dey talk big big oyinbo for here

Some Stereotypes are :

Yoruba stereotypes:

Bad
Males are playboys.
Can be dirty,
supposedly cowardly.
Can be vain.
Boasts a lot.
"sophisticated".
Masters of doublespeak

Good

Females are quite...ahem.....endowed cheesy. Quite accommodating.
Has a certain easy going attitude
Very flamboyant.
Very religiously tolerant.
Very respectful and
can be sharp with insults.

Igbo Stereotypes

Bad

Quick money mentality.
Greedy.
Rude.
Always making fake goods.

Good
Enterprising.
Very entrepreneurial.
Quite street Sharp.
Diligent.
Straightforward

Hausa-Fulani Stereotypes

bad
Blood thirsty.
Illiterate.
Religious fanatics.
Lovers of Cow more than men.
Masters of divide and rule.

Good
Useful for cheap labour.
Owners of Suya
Dealers of fresh fruits.
Straightforward.

There are other tribes of course but I really don't know much about them.

Err... phrases...

1) How far = What's up??

2) Buhari why = A rhetorical question asking Buhari why so and so is happening.

3) Wetin concern me = What's my business??

4) Stealing is not corruption

and so on.... they're a lot actually, na because I dey phone plus mosquito dey suck my brain juice sef embarassed

All in all, Nigeria is a diverse country with different people and different comedic situations. As for predicting a "future" Nigeria, no one can confidently do that. No-one

(1) (Reply)

Become An Adirelounge Distributor / THE MISERABLE CONSPIRACY-part.2. / Honors As President Female Artist Association Of Nigeria Bags Some Accolades

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.