Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 (11463 Views)

For All the Exportation Problems, lets find a Solution Here / Aba: The First Automated Shoe Factory In Nigeria Set To Be Launched (Photos) / Nigeria Set To Lose 550,000 Barrels Of Oil By Exxonmobil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by mynuel(m): 8:54am On Jun 23, 2017
I just we would not start buying a tuber of yam for almost 1k....

Me: madam how
much you dey sell this yams?
Seller: na just five thousun naira for five pieces and one thousun for anly 1
Me: *shocked* no worry ma *walks away* atleast cocoyam no go cost reach like this i go manage am.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by tbliss22(m): 8:55am On Jun 23, 2017
I can help you buy very cheap from Ugba & Zakibiam, Benue State. I have been doing this for 3 years now and to God be the glory no issue of SCAM, truck accident and so on. Check my thread for more details.

Make sure you read through from the beginning to the end

https://www.nairaland.com/1944803/unbelievable-100pcs-tubers-yam-n9000/18

The following are the states with availability of trucks;
1. Lagos State (Mile-12)
2. Rivers State (Port Harcourt)
3. Onitsha (Anambra State)
4. Calabar (Cross River)
5. Warri (Delta state)
6. Umahia
7. Owerri (Imo State)

In case you need the pictures of various sizes, please chat me up on whatsapp.

Have a lovely week ahead.....

https://www.nairaland.com/1944803/unbelievable-100pcs-tubers-yam-n9000/18
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Aragon: 8:58am On Jun 23, 2017
dhardline:
Nothing wrong with exporting yams but not at the detriment of the masses. We won't be looking for foreign exchange while the cost of yam in the market continues to sky rocket. Bought one very small tuber of yam (one serving) last Sat for 650. With this exports now it might climb to a thousand and the big ones will probably get to 3thousand naira.

Haba! Must we complain about everything? Can't you see that this will benefit the Masses at the long run? There will be increased production of yams that before you know it, Yams will be 10naira. And by the way Yams are extremely Cheap in the North. This is also the time for people to go into that business. Buy from the North and sell in the South.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Pomlord(m): 9:23am On Jun 23, 2017
To the US? The one wey we get we never chop am finish sef.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by oshaosha2014(m): 9:27am On Jun 23, 2017
Very difficult, for a country that sees corruption as a way of life, and is full of leaders who don't think about making tomorrow better.
Benoxvals:
Work on uninterrupted electricity in the country..
Import production machines/devices..
Set up factories and employ people...
Put our raw materials to good use...
Export finished products instead...
How difficult is this(?)
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Tecno66: 9:30am On Jun 23, 2017
When we dont have enough to eat yet.
kelvenxxy:
Nigeria on June 29, will export 72 tonnes of yam to Europe and the United States of America (USA), the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh, said.

According Dr Olukayode Oyeleye, the Special Assistant to the minister (Media). Ogbeh
disclosed this at a meeting with members of the Committee on Nigeria Yam Export Programme.

The minister said the flag-off of the yam export would be done at the Apapa Port and that it would be exported in three containers at 24 tonnes each.

Read More @
https://www.naijacouch.com/2017/06/22/nigeria-set-begin-exportation-yam-europe-u-s-june-29/
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by omoelerin1: 9:38am On Jun 23, 2017
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:
Why is everyone of the opinion that because yam is expensive it should not be exported. See selfishness! All of you increase the prices/cost of your goods and services yet you want the poor farmer to sell off their produce cheap shay? And with the stipends they make how do you expect them to make a living? If the price of yam skyrockets then it means there will be money in yam farming. Why not go into yam farming and make money? You guys don't know how to bend down and till the ground under the sun but you want the poor farmer to sell their produce cheap! Now tell me, will you be surprised if thunder fires you?
thunder go fire them true. if a new brand of phone from UK just hit the market and sold for 500k, they will not complain, they wil start struggling to have one. they dont want to spend money on the food they will eat
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by doziex: 9:45am On Jun 23, 2017
naija una dey sabi whine sha. Una dey there dey opine, Ghanaian exporters dey buy up taraba yam for penny's. They then turn around and brand it as Ghana yam, and sell it to the diaspora in UK and US at 20 dollars per tuber.

Yeah, and we gladly pay for it.

So the minister is right. If there is any forex to be earned from any product we are so dominant in the production, nigeria should be rightfully earning it.

If yam scarce for naija, then we keep up with the demand, or chop cassava instead.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by iphyjones(f): 9:49am On Jun 23, 2017
U house can't b burning n u go help your neighbour put out d fire burning in his house. We barely have enough n we r exporting
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by bikefab(m): 10:05am On Jun 23, 2017
Misplaced priorities walahi...
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by chronique(m): 10:05am On Jun 23, 2017
Too many dumb people running Nigeria. How many Nigerians can afford to buy yam comfortably as at today? What is expensive in the local market you want to export, and cause the price to skyrocket? Damn!
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by DisGuy: 10:20am On Jun 23, 2017
iphyjones:
U house can't b burning n u go help your neighbour put out d fire burning in his house. We barely have enough n we r exporting

Farming is business

If i own a farm mainly to export all my products after harvesting and the government is only assisting with export what is wrong with that. If some other farmers want to target Local market they can go ahead

3 yams in some countries go for £10 (4,500)

There are people who have issues with Nigerian rice but when some farmers start exporting their local rice we will start complaining?
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by ElmaSpeed(f): 10:24am On Jun 23, 2017
Castroii:
Good news if its true.
The importance of Agriculture cannot generally be over-emphasized in Nigeria and while poverty have finally taken resident permit in Nigeria we cannot get out of it today by just relying on oil and gas. We cannot pretend to neglect the importance of Agriculture in the economic forward-wheeling of our nation. Nigeria is blessed with a wide variety of agricultural potentials, ranging from varieties of crops to varieties of animals and plants and natural agricultural-supportive factors just that we have been unfortunate to have idiotic and unintelligent leaders since inception. when you visit some where like benue state, u will agree with me that their governors have been the daftest of all.
Unless we invoke the spirit of agriculture in our national economy, our country will always remain the biblical ‘Jonah’ whose inability to self-actualize made him think he could keep deaf ears to the words of wisdom. Our government is still suffering from this “Jonah Complex” which has made it unthinkable for it to embrace agriculture as a true solution to our economic death. The government should embrace Agriculture with more confidence because good agricultural policies and implementation still is the only “big fish” that can transport our economy to the path of recovery and boom.
My only worry is the competence of Mr Audu ogbeh

The wealth is not in exporting raw agricultural produce. It's in exporting finished products.

The cocoa farmer is never richer than the chocolate manufacturer
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by guychidile: 10:27am On Jun 23, 2017
who will take the glory..? is it Geb or Pmb..?
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by gemale(m): 10:37am On Jun 23, 2017
kelvenxxy:
Nigeria on June 29, will export 72 tonnes of yam to Europe and the United States of America (USA), the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chief Audu Ogbeh, said.

According Dr Olukayode Oyeleye, the Special Assistant to the minister (Media). Ogbeh
disclosed this at a meeting with members of the Committee on Nigeria Yam Export Programme.

The minister said the flag-off of the yam export would be done at the Apapa Port and that it would be exported in three containers at 24 tonnes each.

Read More @
https://www.naijacouch.com/2017/06/22/nigeria-set-begin-exportation-yam-europe-u-s-june-29/
Typical Nigerian mentality wouldnt question why our yams are needed by the west. Is it for direct consumption or industrial purposes? We don't want 2 know. Meanwhile we would be the first to import those finished products with foreign exchange.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Nobody: 10:44am On Jun 23, 2017
ElmaSpeed:

The wealth is not in exporting raw agricultural produce. It's in exporting finished products.

The cocoa farmer is never richer than the chocolate manufacturer
yea, i agree with you...
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by teebillz: 10:49am On Jun 23, 2017
Are producing enough yam to serve the local market?
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 23, 2017
dhardline:
Nothing wrong with exporting yams but not at the detriment of the masses. We won't be looking for foreign exchange while the cost of yam in the market continues to sky rocket. Bought one very small tuber of yam (one serving) last Sat for 650. With this exports now it might climb to a thousand and the big ones will probably get to 3thousand naira.

Why not become a yam farmer ?

All the problems around you are opportunities to make money.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by tellmanny(m): 11:05am On Jun 23, 2017
May be you and me should start thinking of having a garden around our homes.
Those farmers deserve to earn good money for their sweat. If yam becomes gold in the market, so be it. Provided the farmers that toil in their various farms get good value for their effort.
Nigerians! too pathetic, always quick to condemn. Let's feed ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Nobody: 11:06am On Jun 23, 2017
Ericaikince:
yes that's good cos I was chatting with one person in UK Blackpool to be precise and she asked what I ate and I said yam and egg.. She was like "what's yam" and I thought she was kidding.. At least the will also serve as a medium to educate them on what and how yam is gringringrin

The yam being exported is mainly dried yam flour.

It was in April that China specifically requested for Nigeria's yam and stated strongly that they don't need the 40% of water which is contained in fresh yam. Not knowing that US and EU also need Nigeria's yam.

This country actually has potentials. I think i can grow yam.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Nobody: 11:10am On Jun 23, 2017
Benoxvals:
Work on uninterrupted electricity in the country..
Import production machines/devices..
Set up factories and employ people...
Put our raw materials to good use...
Export finished products instead...
How difficult is this(?)

Abuja and Kaduna have uninterrupted power supply.

Maybe your area is shot changed.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by darlenese(f): 11:12am On Jun 23, 2017
rubbish. a tuber of yam is between 1,000 - 1,500 naira, you export what u have in surplus . how can we claim to have so much to export yet the ordinary man on the street can't afford to buy yam.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by dhardline(m): 11:17am On Jun 23, 2017
Naughtysite:

Why not become a yam farmer ?

All the problems around you are opportunities to make money.

So when you try to make calls and have bad service you go ahead and start a mobile network company?

Things are not done that way, we all have our respective duties and not all meant to be farmers.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 23, 2017
islandmoon:
the government that can not buy tractors, empower graduates in the agric field from 6 universities of agriculture nation wide,

the government having DINO as senator , that should be buying yam from other country is now looking to make life difficult for its citizen by exporting yam, people have resorted to buying sweet potatoes (Buhari Yam) because yam is too expensive) a tuber of yam is 1,000 Naira, and this morons are planning to be exporting yam! this people dont have brain! and they are complaining about inflation! morons in government.

Hahaha

See vex..
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Basfaq(m): 12:05pm On Jun 23, 2017
dhardline:
You too can farm now grin
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Vivian16: 12:05pm On Jun 23, 2017
Mr. Minister charity begins at home how can u b talking about export when we barely see yams to eat, a tuber of small yam goes for 700 infact many Nigerians has substituted potatoes in place of yam.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Basfaq(m): 12:10pm On Jun 23, 2017
Dannyset:
Experts get in here oo!
Is this a good thing? Cos this is how the garri that we produce here became costly just because we want to export what we don't even have enough for our own use.
This is a misplaced priority. Is this not an avenue for many us to farm.We being talking of no job here and there but why we don't want to invest where we can make cool cash.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 23, 2017
DisGuy:

Farming is business

If i own a farm mainly to export all my products after harvesting and the government is only assisting with export what is wrong with that. If some other farmers want to target Local market they can go ahead

3 yams in some countries go for £10 (4,500)

There are people who have issues with Nigerian rice but when some farmers start exporting their local rice we will start complaining?

Tell them.

We have been drumming about diversifying the Nigerian economy from crude oil and today it has started happening with export of Yam, Ginger, garlic, bitter kola. etc.

All our youth can do is to start shouting that yam is costly.

Its funny how the young ones reason.

Nigeria is the largest producer of yam in the world. Yet Ghana is the largest exporter of yam. Is that not an irony ?

World oil price crashed in 2015, and Nigeria fell into recession in 2016. What a mono product economy. Had it been that Agric produce was Nigeria's largest export product, the country wont be in recession right now.

And the way the world economy is going today, the price of crude will remain low for many years to come. Electric cars have come to stay. US will continue producing crude. Only international wars can raise world oil price and no country wants to waste resources at this moment on wars.

So what is the way forward ? World population will continue to increase placing a demand on food production.

I wish i had empty plots to farm.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by dhardline(m): 12:19pm On Jun 23, 2017
Basfaq:
You too can farm now grin

Give me Land na.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by belindar: 12:46pm On Jun 23, 2017
Yeye minister and Foolish govt. what are you celebrating for.
I have travelled far and near. Who are the people eating The yam you exporting to Europe and America. Is it not Africa people living abroad mostly Nigerians and Ghanaian. Any white man or woman eating yam or product of yam must be related to Africa one way or the other.
Ghana yam everywhere in Europe for long. Go to fish market in Manchester or street market in Amsterdam you will see Ghana yam there.
They are saying it as if the European and American needs it.
By the way do you see how expensive yam is presently in the market.
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by Jaddo19(m): 12:49pm On Jun 23, 2017
Tcheeew Yam Wey Neva Reach Us Chop
Re: Nigeria Set To Begin The Exportation Of Yam To Europe, U.S From June 29 by yom2(m): 1:03pm On Jun 23, 2017
kelvenxxy:

Read More @
dat is part of what sensible government should have been doin years back. Not only just shouting about oil all d time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Over 2m Businesses Die In Nigeria In 5 Years – SMEDAN / Lagos Business School Tips / First Bank Unveils Promo To Reward Verve Card Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.