Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,734 members, 7,806,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

YOU, U Or YHU…. Either Way You Are Right - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / YOU, U Or YHU…. Either Way You Are Right (427 Views)

Got A Poem Written By You!? U Can Get Paid For It. / Quotes That Will Change The Way You Think / Either Way You're Dead, A Mystery Story Authored By Akweh John Ven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

YOU, U Or YHU…. Either Way You Are Right by Azariyah(f): 9:31am On Jun 23, 2017
The rate at which short codes have taken over our writing skills, especially that of the youth, the future leaders of tomorrow is alarming. Everyone, including myself see it as a shorter and faster way of writing. Off course it is, I concur. But of recent I have come to realise that even the simplest of words is abbreviated. Thus, leading me to come to the conclusion that we are becoming too lazy, so much that spelling out our words completely, and correctly is too much of a burden.

Been ruminating over this trend for a while now and I feel its high time we put this into check.

For instance; I write to someone stating that I may not be able to make it for a proposed get together and I get this response 'k' or ‘kkk’, and I’m wondering the time spent in writing so many 'k’s' can actually be spared by just writing ‘Okay’. Don’t you think so?

I can go on and on with so many examples but we all know them, we come across them every day. It’s becoming the norm and its even like a disease if you do not use short codes when writing.

Trust me! It takes a conscious effort to minimise its usage or even stop using them completely but it’s worth it. I am certain that in the long run, some of us may even forget how to spell the words correctly or even mistakenly use them to answers questions during examination.

Prevention they say is better than cure. For the younger generation, we know they tend to pick up things quickly, so we must act now by showing good examples. Here’s the teaser: How do we begin to teach them the right things if we don’t imbibe them now?

Let us all make the effort and say to ourselves ‘I won’t be using these short codes anymore except off course when necessary’.

I can, You can; Yhu cn (lol)! We know what’s right

Cheers
Re: YOU, U Or YHU…. Either Way You Are Right by Divepen1(m): 9:36am On Jun 23, 2017
This is a beautiful one. Today I saw someone's signature 'am an editor'.
And I felt bad for the coming generation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: YOU, U Or YHU…. Either Way You Are Right by Azariyah(f): 9:42am On Jun 23, 2017
Its really really sad.. He or she could easily write 'I'm an editor' or "I am an editor", without breaking any sweat.. And the irony of it all, the person is actually an editor, in need of an editor for his post advertising as an editor (LOL). You get my drift anyway
I think the social media buzz is partly responsible

Divepen1:
This is a beautiful one. Today I saw someone's signature 'am an editor'.
And I felt bad for coming Generation.
Re: YOU, U Or YHU…. Either Way You Are Right by Divepen1(m): 9:51am On Jun 23, 2017
Azariyah:
Its really really sad.. He or she could easily write 'I'm an editor' or "I am an editor", without breaking any sweat.. And the irony of it all, the person is actually
an editor, in need of an editor for his post advertising as an editor (LOL).
You get my drift anyway
I think the social media buzz is partly responsible

Lol...That's deep

(1) (Reply)

We Can Go The Extra Mile / IMU-OZU( To inquire from the dead: A short story / Nigeria Is Green White Green

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.