Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,390 members, 7,800,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. (1769 Views)

Obaseki’s Agents Mop Up Newspapers In Benin / The Official Peugeot 504 Of Olusegun Obasanjo In 1979 As Head Of State (Photo) / How El-Zakzaky Was Expelled From ABU, Zaria In 1979 For Violence - The Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by nisai: 4:08pm On Jun 23, 2017
"Again, however, when the 1954 constitution conference started, my good friend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo tabled a motion to the effect that in the new constitution, provision should be made that any state which feels like seceding should do so. I was opposed to it and said ‘no’ and said that once we have a federation, we are indivisible and perpetual. That was when we began to use that expression - ‘The Indivisibility and perpetuity of the federation’ - and that to secede would amount to treason. And so, a debate ensued.
The Secretary of State then was Oliver Littleton, later Lord Chandos and he was very much interested and that was his first time in saying that the people of African descent were people actually debating at a high level. So a full day was given to Chief Awolowo to make his points. He spoke brilliantly as a lawyer. He made his points why secession should be incorporated in the constitution. He cited the case of the Soviet Union which is a federation, and that secession is written there so that any state in the Soviet Union can secede at will.
He also cited the case of Western Australia and eventually he finished his case and was applauded. We adjourned. The next day, I had to reply. I availed myself of the opportunity to, well, demolish the arguments of my friend and I cited the case of United States which based its constitution on that of the Swiss Confederation. That is Switzerland. I pointed out a case, I think, that of Texas versus White, where Mr. Salmon Chase, the Chief Justice laid down the principle - he was really an arbiter - that the union was intended to be perpetual and indivisible and that any attempt to divide the union by secession was treasonable.
The North (NPC) supported Action Group. The question was then: Should we have secession? The Colonial Office came to our rescue. You know, the usual principle of Britain - ‘divide and rule’ (laughs) but this time, it was in our favour. So, the colonial office backed us. Lord Chandos said that on the face of the arguments before him it would be suicidal to incorporate secession in our constitution and that is why we have section 86 in our constitution that if any region or state should secede, then it will be an act of treason and that was what led to this war, because Col. Ojukwu seceded and so violated the constitution."

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Oche211(m): 4:16pm On Jun 23, 2017
Wow!!! Lala, abeg come nd see
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by AreaFada2: 4:16am On Nov 17, 2018
Such a topic never gets to FP. No twerking, brainless half-unclad yeyebrity or Bobrisky. shocked shocked
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Donelli: 6:24am On Nov 17, 2018
If the secession clause had been included in the constitution at that time, the union would have broken up within two years because there were several post-independence crises. However, I strongly believe that the clause should have been included but made terminal.

It should have been written as option of a referendum after a cyclic period not less than 30 years (for instance) for the people to continually decide if or not the union will continue.

Nnamdi Azikiwe had a vision of cohesion in Nigeria and Africa in general but he probably overestimated the situation.

4 Likes

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Volksfuhrer(m): 6:28am On Nov 17, 2018
Typical Zik: careless, visionless, hubristic.

5 Likes

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by teboi: 6:49am On Nov 17, 2018
How? I am sure the country would have been better off if we had broken up long ago instead of this useless contraption where others hold you back and feed off your resources and infrastructures under the name of one Nigeria
Donelli:
If the secession clause had been included in the constitution at that time, the union would have broken up within two years because there were several post-independence crises. However, I strongly believe that the clause should have been included but made terminal.

It should have been written as option of a referendum after a cyclic period not less than 30 years (for instance) for the people to continually decide if or not the union will continue.

Nnamdi Azikiwe had a vision of cohesion in Nigeria and Africa in general but he probably overefeed off your stimated the situation.

4 Likes

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Volksfuhrer(m): 7:00am On Nov 17, 2018
Donelli:

The secession clause should have been inserted unconditionally, without time limit!

Donelli:
Nnamdi Azikiwe had a vision of cohesion in Nigeria and Africa in general but he probably overestimated the situation.

Let's keep it simple, Zik never had that vision; he only had selfish reasons to rule the whole country!

A Pan-Africanist would never support Biafra nor write Biafra's Anthem. And please don't bring the "survival of his people" argument; it won' cut it, because pogroms against igbos in 1945 and 1953 never dissuaded Zik from gleeful arguments of "indivisibility" and."perpetuity!"

4 Likes

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by powerhouse3(m): 7:31am On Nov 17, 2018
With this singular post, am certain that Ojukwu and Awolowo share the same vision just that the timing was wrong and the corporation was not there, I will never wish for Nigeria to break up, but there's no need to deceive any one that we are OK, zik blew the chance not because he love Nigeria more than us, but for selfish interest.......... Nigeria need to talk, this time not on nepotism or corruption
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Donelli: 8:24am On Nov 17, 2018
Volksfuhrer:

The secession clause should have been inserted unconditionally, without time limit!
My argument is on the premise that they wanted to make Nigeria work by every available means. We can confidently say the above now because it is clear the union is not working.

Let's keep it simple, Zik never had that vision; he only had selfish reasons to rule the whole country!

A Pan-Africanist would never support Biafra nor write Biafra's Anthem. And please don't bring the "survival of his people" argument; it won' cut it, because pogroms against igbos in 1945 and 1953 never dissuaded Zik from gleeful arguments of "indivisibility" and."perpetuity!"
Is this not a contradiction
Are you sure you're not mixing up regionalism with secession. Nnamdi Azikiwe never supported secession; if you have a link to prove that by all means please share with me. Again, if you had said he had "ambition" I would have agreed.

Afterthought:
Please read the excerpts below. Do you think it would have been beneficial to Africa? Do you think Gaddafi had selfish reasons for pushing for a United States of Africa?

In February 2009, upon being elected chairman of the 53-nation African Union in Ethiopia, Gaddafi told the assembled African leaders: "I shall continue to insist that our sovereign countries work to achieve the United States of Africa."[6] The BBC reported that Gaddafi had proposed "a single African military force, a single currency and a single passport for Africans to move freely around the continent".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_Africa

Meanwhile, in 2009 Gaddafi, then President of the African Union, offered the states of the continent to shift to a new currency, independent from the US dollar, the so-called "Gold Dinar."

According to the researcher, the idea, voiced by the Libyan leader, received high praise from Tunisia's Ben Ali and Mubarak's Egypt.

Gaddafi called upon African nations to create a currency alliance making the gold dinar the primary means of payment for oil and other resources.

The dream of the African nations was at the same time a nightmare for Western financial elites.
In light of this it is hardly surprising that Wall Street and the City of London threw their weight behind the NATO-led campaign aimed against the "rebellious" Libyan leader.

https://sputniknews.com/amp/politics/201603171036485001-gaddafi-gold-story/
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Donelli: 8:28am On Nov 17, 2018
teboi:
How? I am sure the country would have been better off if we had broken up long ago instead of this useless contraption where others hold you back and feed off your resources and infrastructures under the name of one Nigeria
I still reiterate that we can confidently say this because we have established that the union is not working. At that time it probably was a matter of trying to make the Nigeria work by every possible means. Let's keep the argument of interests aside for now, because that's a huge argument on its own.
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Volksfuhrer(m): 9:50am On Nov 17, 2018
Donelli:

Is this not a contradiction
No, It wasn't a contradiction. Remember, I brought up this statement, '...pogroms against igbos in 1945 and 1953 never dissuaded Zik from gleeful arguments of "indivisibility" and."perpetuity!"', only as an objection to arguments justifying Zik's support for secession during Biafra.

Donelli:
... Nnamdi Azikiwe never supported secession; if you have a link to prove that by all means
please share with me...

Did you say, "Nnamdi Azikiwe never supported secession"? Well, he evidently supported secession during Biafra! If he wrote Biafra's anthem and canvassed for Biafra to join the OAU as independent country, then he supported secession.

1 Like

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Donelli: 10:09am On Nov 17, 2018
Volksfuhrer:

No, It wasn't a contradiction. Remember, I brought up this statement, '...pogroms against igbos in 1945 and 1953 never dissuaded Zik from gleeful arguments of "indivisibility" and."perpetuity!"', only as an objection to arguments justifying Zik's support for secession during Biafra.
Pardon me, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Please explain further.

Did you say, "Nnamdi Azikiwe never supported secession"? Well, he evidently supported secession during Biafra! If he wrote Biafra's anthem and canvassed for Biafra to join the OAU as independent country, then he supported secession.
I'm aware of the anthem part but which Biafra did he canvass to join OAU when the Nigerian government tried to ensure Biafra did not see the light of day?
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:14am On Nov 17, 2018
Donelli:

Pardon me, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Please explain further.

Okay. The thrust of my argument was that: Zik was no true nationalist because he later supported Biafra's secession project. He argued with energy for One Nigeria, despite the fact that pogroms were commited against . Igbos in 1945 and 1953. He later supported secession in Biafra using the pogroms against his people in 1966 as a reason.

Donelli:
I'm aware of the anthem part but which Biafra did he canvass to join OAU when the Nigerian government tried to ensure Biafra did not see the light of day?

i never said he succeeded, but he tried. In any case, he sought out some African Heads of States for Biafra's recognition. Didn't he?

1 Like

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:53am On Nov 17, 2018
Donelli:

Looking at the mentality and dispositions of the Nigerian leaders then, one would easily understand why Zik was of the opinion. They saw themselves as one but was short sighted to understand that a time will come in life when new generation of Nigerians would jettison oneness and become selfish and nepotistic.
Any which way, it was wrong not to have included power to secede in the constitution.

In addition, I wish Awolowo who had a clearer vision of a non working united Nigeria exploited Ojukwu declaration. He had argued vigorusly in that regard previously. I bet that would have saved all the mess we found ourselves in a pseudo united Nigeria.
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Donelli: 12:02pm On Nov 17, 2018
Volksfuhrer:
Okay. The thrust of my argument was that: Zik was no true nationalist because he later supported Biafra's secession project. He argued with energy for One Nigeria, despite the fact that pogroms were commited against . Igbos in 1945 and 1953. He later supported secession in Biafra using the pogroms against his people in 1966 as a reason.
History might disagree with this point. Compared to Ahmadu Bello who openly made the "northerner first" comment and Obafemi Awolowo who always argued for the benefit of the Yoruba nation you're suggesting that Nnamdi Azikiwe who has been fingered as one of the proponents of One Nigeria is not a nationalist?

I never said he succeeded, but he tried. In any case, he sought out some African Heads of States for Biafra's recognition. Didn't he?
Unfortunately I cannot confirm or refute this claim because I don't have that information that's why I requested initially to share a reliable link with me if you have it.
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Donelli: 12:21pm On Nov 17, 2018
SpecialAdviser:

Looking at the mentality and dispositions of the Nigerian leaders then, one would easily understand why Zik was of the opinion. They saw themselves as one but was short sighted to understand that a time will come in life when new generation of Nigerians would jettison oneness and become selfish and nepotistic.
Any which way, it was wrong not to have included power to secede in the constitution.

In addition, I wish Awolowo who had a clearer vision of a non working united Nigeria exploited Ojukwu declaration. He had argued vigorusly in that regard previously. I bet that would have saved all the mess we found ourselves in a pseudo united Nigeria.
I quite agree that the arrangement was not well thought out but then, it might not be as explicit as it appears. Do not forget the British influence. The push for independence was initiated by the south yet the Brits handed power to the North who had always argued against an independent Nigeria citing that they were not ready.
Mind you, Awolowo already had a master plan for the west, building on education and human capital development. The Eastern region was also growing rapidly and the Brits were not comfortable handing power over to a self-sufficient southern region where they would most likely lose their Influence.

They have always backed the north to ensure they control Nigeria. If the first coup had gone as planned, Awolowo would have been the president and we probably will not be talking about illiteracy or our poor education standard and all the catastrophes would have been averted. Yet the north remains behind other regions even when they have had all the power.

Take out the British influence and Nigeria might gain some sanity, but that's not going to happen now is it.

1 Like

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Duru1(m): 1:10pm On Nov 17, 2018
nisai:
"Again, however, when the 1954 constitution conference started, my good friend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo tabled a motion to the effect that in the new constitution, provision should be made that any state which feels like seceding should do so. I was opposed to it and said ‘no’ and said that once we have a federation, we are indivisible and perpetual. That was when we began to use that expression - ‘The Indivisibility and perpetuity of the federation’ - and that to secede would amount to treason. And so, a debate ensued.
The Secretary of State then was Oliver Littleton, later Lord Chandos and he was very much interested and that was his first time in saying that the people of African descent were people actually debating at a high level. So a full day was given to Chief Awolowo to make his points. He spoke brilliantly as a lawyer. He made his points why secession should be incorporated in the constitution. He cited the case of the Soviet Union which is a federation, and that secession is written there so that any state in the Soviet Union can secede at will.
He also cited the case of Western Australia and eventually he finished his case and was applauded. We adjourned. The next day, I had to reply. I availed myself of the opportunity to, well, demolish the arguments of my friend and I cited the case of United States which based its constitution on that of the Swiss Confederation. That is Switzerland. I pointed out a case, I think, that of Texas versus White, where Mr. Salmon Chase, the Chief Justice laid down the principle - he was really an arbiter - that the union was intended to be perpetual and indivisible and that any attempt to divide the union by secession was treasonable.
The North (NPC) supported Action Group. The question was then: Should we have secession? The Colonial Office came to our rescue. You know, the usual principle of Britain - ‘divide and rule’ (laughs) but this time, it was in our favour. So, the colonial office backed us. Lord Chandos said that on the face of the arguments before him it would be suicidal to incorporate secession in our constitution and that is why we have section 86 in our constitution that if any region or state should secede, then it will be an act of treason and that was what led to this war, because Col. Ojukwu seceded and so violated the constitution."

Sir with all due respect, Ojukwu could not have violated a constitution which was suspended. By the time of Biafrian secession, the constitution was no longer at play and the military was using decree to govern.
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Xander85: 1:29pm On Nov 17, 2018
Donelli:

The man was just too much of an idealist, and of all the three main ethnic groups it's his own people that are being cheated the most in this cursed 'one Nigeria' experiment!

1 Like

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Donelli: 1:55pm On Nov 17, 2018
Xander85:

The man was just too much of an idealist, and of all the three main ethnic groups it's his own people that are being cheated the most in this cursed 'one Nigeria' experiment!
It's quite unfortunate

2 Likes

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by T9ksy(m): 3:02pm On Nov 17, 2018
Xander85:

Quit sounding daft!

You don't seem to have a problem with Fulani domination! Care to tell me if your shithole of a country is better off for it?

When the people you so despise now ask for a referendum to decide if they wanna leave the El-Dorado the Fulani created for you lot to enjoy by yourselves, you go ape....threatening fire and brimstone!

But your sli.my Zik a.k.a fake nationalist wasn't daft when he insisted on forming a nation with those who despise him and his people and are not shy in expressing their feelings, physically.
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by Xander85: 3:30pm On Nov 17, 2018
T9ksy:

But your sli.my Zik a.k.a fake nationalist wasn't daft when he insisted on forming a nation with those who despise him and his people and are not shy in expressing their feelings, physically.

Well i don't know about 'slimy', but i'm with you on his naivety in feeling it's ok to form a country with bigots and primitive-minded savages! I'm cutting him some slack though, given the pan-Nigerian nature of his early years!

You know Zik was fluent in speaking the three main Nigerian languages? wink
Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by AreaFada2: 10:54am On Aug 06, 2019
Xander85:

Well i don't know about 'slimy', but i'm with you on his naivety in feeling it's ok to form a country with bigots and primitive-minded savages! I'm cutting him some slack though, given the pan-Nigerian nature of his early years!

You know Zik was fluent in speaking the three main Nigerian languages? wink

I know this post is old but Zik would have seen a broken up Nigeria as a personal failure. Born in Niger State and worked mostly in Lagos professionally, he saw Nigeria as a whole as his home. Awo was Yoruba through and through and Ahmadu Bello was Fulani through and through.

Zik had a natural affinity towards Nigeria as a whole that other Nigerian leaders of their time did not share.

He just could not justify potential splitting of Nigeria while campaigning with Nkrumah, Kaunda, Emperor Haile Silasie and others to strengthen African unity.

When Biafra war started, Awo saw the chance to outplay his great rival Zik. Surely the North would let him rule now after helping to preserve one Nigeria.

Otherwise Awo never believed one Nigeria would prosper. He knew the North is not progressive. That made Awo a better politician and a better reader of the game.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Excepts From Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe's Interview With New Nigeria Newspapers, In 1979. by nisai: 2:48pm On Aug 06, 2019
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Osinbajo Launches World’s Biggest Fertiliser Plant In Rivers Today / N69bn Osun Airport To Be Ready In Eight Months, Contractor Says / Biafra: Why Lagos, Abuja Are Part Of Igbo Land – MASSOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.