Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? (8577 Views)

Babcock University Students' Sextape: Zlatan Ibile Reacts To Leaked Video / Malam U.C. Aliu: AAU Lecturer Beats University Students Mercilessly / 6 Madonna University Students And Lecturer Sent Back To Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Damianobi(m): 7:36am On Jun 24, 2017
ogamiitto:
Hello guys, a friend told me that textbooks can be very expensive in Nigeria. I was wondering if that is true.

Have you come across any instance where the costs of a textbook was a hindrance? Did you need any books or manuals whose access provide invaluable insight but was too expensive?

How do you manage in that case?

Thank you for your help

Go to good Universities and u wunt av to worry abt text books that much. Go to schools like imsu, text books will make u starve.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by mhiztaNexy(m): 7:40am On Jun 24, 2017
bro it is expensive. the funniest thing is it is not necessary but compulsory. if you don't buy,u risk carry over,. I have Lotta textbooks I didn't even touch buh had to buy coz I just had to and the funniest thiing is most textbooks are copy and paste directly from Google.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by jericco1(m): 7:50am On Jun 24, 2017
It depends on ur course of study.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by acorntree(m): 7:51am On Jun 24, 2017
Textbooks are just too expensive for an average student. Thanks for the invention called "INTERNET" , if not information would have been a scarce commodity that only the few privilege would have access to. With your android phone, laptop etc you have access to billions of information that could occupy a whole Nigeria if Nigeria is a dedicated library.
You have access to ebooks, videos, tutorials which can aid in being self taught. So youth don't have excuse for being ignorant.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by kennyjam: 7:56am On Jun 24, 2017
budosky:
When I was in the uni, I never strived to buy any textbook. All I craved for was to acquire a Laptop so as to be able to download the PDF formats of any textbook I need. Moreover, not all the required textbooks can be gotten in bookshops whereas most can be downloaded freely online in the form of PDFs.

Another effective, economical but somehow stressful method if you don't have a laptop, is to get a phone with good camera, look for one of your course mates that has the said textbook and start snapping the pages you need. Then you can read it from your phone in such way.

May Almighty help us

doing so with my manageable phone too.

Amen.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Donshemzy1234: 7:58am On Jun 24, 2017
budosky:
When I was in the uni, I never strived to buy any textbook. All I craved for was to acquire a Laptop so as to be able to download the PDF formats of any textbook I need. Moreover, not all the required textbooks can be gotten in bookshops whereas most can be downloaded freely online in the form of PDFs.

Another effective, economical but somehow stressful method if you don't have a laptop, is to get a phone with good camera, look for one of your course mates that has the said textbook and start snapping the pages you need. Then you can read it from your phone in such way.

May Almighty help us

Please can you help me with any relevant sites to download books from??
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by acorntree(m): 7:58am On Jun 24, 2017
Damianobi:

Go to good Universities and u wunt av to worry abt text books that much. Go to schools like imsu, text books will make u starve.
Are those textbooks updated version or just outdated version
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by acorntree(m): 8:00am On Jun 24, 2017
Donshemzy1234:

Please can you help me with any relevant sites to download books from??

try 4shared.com , scribd.com or learn how to use torrent
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by fuckpro: 8:22am On Jun 24, 2017
...i get any foreign textbook free on the net real high end textbooks
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 24, 2017
Damianobi:

In my sch, if u jst snap text books, u will mark ur exam answer sheets ursef.

As for me i just snap am, then use camscanner app to enhance, compile all the pishures together & make it into a PDF file, i saved over 60k doing dat, i just dont see the point of buying a bulky book when i can just get it for 20-30MB for my mobile phone
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by CrEaToRmalden(m): 8:29am On Jun 24, 2017
tosynomolara:
Borrow and Photocopy nani..

That is piracy bro, one can be jailed for it.
I don't think such exist in Nigeria angry
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by segsxpendable(m): 8:30am On Jun 24, 2017
if u av that text book soft or hard copy for sale,, latest edition, please holla @ me....really in need of it
agboolasegun1@gmail.com

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 24, 2017
Damianobi:

Oga education shouldn't be expensive.
If It's not expensive, what value....? Quality above quantity always
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by kenedy175(m): 8:40am On Jun 24, 2017
It depends. Medical books could be expensive. Pediatrics by Azubuike is currently 20k. This is just a text book. But it has never hindered me. You should be ready to spend to get the best
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Damianobi(m): 9:40am On Jun 24, 2017
Jiang:

As for me i just snap am, then use camscanner app to enhance, compile all the pishures together & make it into a PDF file, i saved over 60k doing dat, i just dont see the point of buying a bulky book when i can just get it for 20-30MB for my mobile phone

Well, u are lucky to b in a university where lecturers don't sell the books themselves.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Damianobi(m): 9:43am On Jun 24, 2017
acorntree:

Are those textbooks updated version or just outdated version
Lol... These are textbooks nt android applications. A professor may write a book in 1998 nd u still b using it in 2017.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Nigeriadondie: 10:07am On Jun 24, 2017
tosynomolara:
Borrow and Photocopy nani..
That is no even cheaper and besides nothing like d original
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Tex42(m): 10:16am On Jun 24, 2017
It's obvious na... Making photocopies of handouts is battle let alone getting textbooks...

Truly education is not cheap but I'd get it than settle for illiteracy.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Demmzy15(m): 10:45am On Jun 24, 2017
Yes woo, pdf all the way!
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Donsammi(m): 10:51am On Jun 24, 2017
Damianobi:
Here in imsu... U must buy text books every semester and each semester, text books will cost you notin less than 20k. NOTE: be ready to fail any course u refuse to buy it's text book cus the buy dem from the lecturers directly and the lecturers put down ur names. If after exam, ur name is nt on their list as one of those that bought their text books, ur exam script will b used for tissue paper.

imsu lecturers book of life

1 Like

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 10:57am On Jun 24, 2017
Jiang:
Can't you just use your android phone to snap the book pages, you know that powerful 13-16mp camera is not just for taking selfies & feeling bae
I tire oh....it's what I did just now sef
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Donshemzy1234: 11:28am On Jun 24, 2017
acorntree:

try 4shared.com , scribd.com or learn how to use torrent
. Alright thanks so much.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by hellohgy(m): 11:29am On Jun 24, 2017
if u study medicine u will unfastand.....

those textbooks ehn......

pharmacology anatomy physiology and d rest........

Which u must buy by fire by force if u want to pass ......

although PDF file is available most don't like it due to concentration and other factors......

Those textbooks are costly. sha
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by johnsmitthen: 1:57pm On Jun 24, 2017
If you are focusing on your classes very well, you can make your own notes or use internet for study.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Desyner: 1:44am On Jun 25, 2017
ogamiitto:
Hello guys, a friend told me that textbooks can be very expensive in Nigeria. I was wondering if that is true.

Have you come across any instance where the costs of a textbook was a hindrance? Did you need any books or manuals whose access provide invaluable insight but was too expensive?

How do you manage in that case?

Thank you for your help
I blame gov for over subsidizing fees. . . .
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by six33fourng: 6:59pm On Feb 01, 2023
Buy books online from your favourite bookstore in Nigeria. We have a veritable collection of books that span categories as diverse as you could possibly expect.

From segments like accountancy, to parenting and pregnancy, to banking and finance, to even topics on yoga and meditation – almost any category you seek you would books on it.

Apply to join the largest independent marketplace for book sellers today! In addition to helping us to support you and our fellow booksellers, you'll get:

Lowest fees and commissions of any commercial marketplace.
No monthly fee option — you don't pay if you don't sell.
Reach thousands times more people than a magazine ad, for a fraction of the cost

Visit - https://six33four.ng/bookstore/

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Untold Story Of The Man Who Invented Alabukun Powder / Unilag's Catchment Result List / Mr Olaseni Oshifala More Secrets Revealed (screen Shot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.