Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,575 members, 7,770,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:16 AM

22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit (16726 Views)

Sex Addiction And How To Be Totally Free From It / 22 Things Christ Followers Should Quit / 2 Zimbabwean Female "Witches" Caught Red-handed Totally Unclad (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 7:50am On Jun 25, 2017
Before you read the following, I just want you to know that these are things I am guilty of, too. Like I tell my church all the time: "I'm preaching to myself!" When it comes to following Christ, we are all a work in progress.

For those who know me, you are familiar with my personality, so you will be able to decipher my tone and picture me smiling as you read this. For those of you who don't know me, try to picture me smiling as you read on. So, go ahead and laugh, love, and perhaps even whisper, "Ouch."

And just so there's no confusion, the word Christian is defined as someone who professes Christ and embraces His teachings. Not only are the four gospels about Him, the entire Bible is Him because He is the Living Word.
Here is a list of the 22 things I believe Christ followers should cease and desist in their lives:

1. Quit expecting the world to like you.
Jesus said it would hate you (John 15:18-27, Matthew 10:22).

2. Quit throwing your own teammates under the bus.
We're called to build each other up, not tear each other down. In fact, Jesus said that our love for each other proves to the world that we are really His true disciples (John 13:35, 1 Thessalonians 5:11).

3. Quit gossiping.
This includes sharing "juicy prayer requests" with no intention of actually praying (Psalms 34:13, Psalms 101:5, Ephesians 4:29).

4. Quit replacing prayer with "good vibes" and "positive thoughts."
No. Just no. Prayer moves the hand of God and the hand of God moves the world. Prayer is much more effective than making someone feel warm and fuzzy inside. By the way, I'm not saying positive thoughts and good vibes are wrong (and they do make you feel good), I'm just saying prayer trumps them both (2 Corinthians 1:11, Philippians 1:19, Ephesians 6:18, James 5:16).

5. Quit saying repentance isn't necessary.
It is. Jesus said so. And just so you know, there are 53 references to repentance in the New Testament. Now go repent (Matthew 5:17, Acts 3:19, Romans 2:5, 2 Peter 3:9, 1 John 1:9).

6. Quit saying that the "portions of the Bible that make you feel uncomfortable" are irrelevant and nothing more than dated writings.
All 66 books, 1,189 chapters, and 31,102 verse are the inspired Word of God. So the next time you think about throwing out the Old Testament, just remember that Jesus quoted it numerous times in all four gospels (John 1:1-4, John 1:14, 2 Timothy 3:16).

7. Quit expecting unbelievers/non-Christians to understand the Bible and/or to live like Christ.
It's hard enough for Christians to live like Christ and it's impossible to do so without Him (until the blinders are removed) (2 Corinthians 4:4, 2 Corinthians 5:17, Galatians 5:24-25).

8. Quit acting like the Great Commission
(Go into all the world to preach the gospel) is the Great Suggestion. It's a command. Go already (Matthew 28:19, Mark 16:15).

9. Quit thinking that it's OK to be silent about your faith.
Yes, it's just as important to represent Jesus by how we live, but someone can't respond to the Good News without hearing it ... and they can't hear it if no one opens their mouth (Matthew 10:27, Romans 10:14-15).

10. Quit being more passionate about your political affiliation than your relationship with Jesus.
If 99 percent of what you post on social media consists of bashing government officials and presidential candidates—you're doing more damage than good (Romans 13:1-7, 2 Chronicles 7:14).

11. Quit using the Bible to beat the "hell" out of people.
That doesn't work. Ever. I don't care if you're right—if you're a jerk, nobody is listening. Love wins! (No, I don't mean the book by Rob Bell.) (1 Corinthians 13).

12. Quit your legalistic rants, knee-jerk reactions, and judgmentalism.
You're turning people off. You're making good news bad news. Jesus befriended sinners. Try it and great things will happen (Mark 2:17, Luke 5:27-32, 1 Timothy 1:15-16).

13. Quit calling yourself a Christian if you believe there are multiple paths that lead to salvation. Jesus said that He's the only way to heaven. If you don't believe Him, you're not a Christ follower (John 14:6, 1 John 2:4).

14. Quit living like everybody's going to heaven and nobody's going to hell. Jesus died so the whole world could be saved, but He said the path to heaven is narrow and few find it. And for the record, He preached more about hell than heaven ... but He did it without using a bullhorn and manipulative scare tactics. #LeadLikeJesus (Matthew 7:13-14).

15. Quit acting like you're better than those who don't know Jesus. You're not (Luke 18:19, Acts 10:34, Romans 2:11-13).
16. Quit criticizing loving believers who take a biblical stand for godly morals and Christian values (that are crystal clear in Scripture) just because you're too much of a wimp to take a stand yourself. Jesus didn't call us to be politically correct. Develop some backbone. And yes, I said wimp. And yes, I will repent for calling you a wimp (Acts 4-6).

17. Quit pointing out the speck in your neighbor's eye while ignoring the plank in your own eye. By the way, I can hardly see my computer as I type this because of the log in my own eye (Matthew 7:3-5).

18. Quit being a jerk, period. Whatever your position is (on anything), if you can't communicate it in love, you're a clanging cymbal and your message is worthless. So yeah, I probably shouldn't have called you a wimp in No. 16 (1 Corinthians 13).

19. Quit defending sin. Quit hating sinners. These are equally important. Oh yeah, and lose your critical lens (Psalm 97:10, Matthew 22:37-39).

20. Quit using the phrase "he who's without sin cast the first stone" out of context. The next thing Jesus said was, "Go and sin no more" (John 8:1-11).

21. Quit using grace as a license to live however you want. Jesus is grace, so don't trample Him under your feet (Romans 6:1-2, 1 John 2:4, Hebrews 10:26-31).

22. Quit using the phrase (when inviting people to church) "come as you are" if you're going to complain when they

57121-22-things-christ-followers-should-quit showing up (Mark 2:17, Luke 5:27-32).
http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/57121-22-things-christ-followers-should-quit

48 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by hemartins(m): 7:52am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit quitting

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by Hier(m): 9:59am On Jun 25, 2017
24. Quit look for answers outside Gods word, if anything is not clear to you as a Christian, download books and articles online that would expantiate those facts.

25. Don't quit, no matter what.

26. Pray always, give always, learn the act of spiritual warfare(believers authority) and finally, faith confessions

17 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by 0b10010011: 10:19am On Jun 25, 2017
You for kukuma tell us to quit the world!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by yeyeboi(m): 10:19am On Jun 25, 2017
Ok
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by pocohantas(f): 10:19am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit fornication!!

God will not say, because you're a man...you can fornicate...and a woman can't. In heaven, nothing like when a man fukc 5 women, his thing gets more efficient, when a woman gets fukched by 5 men, her thing will wide. Judgement day will be based on equality grin

11 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by tspun(m): 10:19am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit going to church to show your new clothes

Quit following everything your pastors says, he might be wrong sometimes, (he is not God)

Do not use slang words in your conversation with God, like saying God afar na? how ur boy Jesus? God no be your mate

6 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by SeniorArchitect: 10:19am On Jun 25, 2017
angry

2 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by melanier: 10:20am On Jun 25, 2017
The wages of sin is death. Happy Sallah to muslims
nigeria newspaper

4 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by TrumpDonald2: 10:21am On Jun 25, 2017
hemartins:
Quit quitting

This thing wey u post now, e make sense?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 25, 2017
melanier:
The wages of sin is death. Happy Sallah to muslims
nigeria newspaper
tspiff:
Today is eid

Take it to their section! And swear!

3 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by Olasco93: 10:21am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit wishing you were someone else.
Quit doing to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you.

3 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by obi3ce: 10:22am On Jun 25, 2017
Op quit posting
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by DKJaleel: 10:23am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit hypocrisy

3 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by discman2k2(m): 10:25am On Jun 25, 2017
Hmmmmmm, these are hard but true.

#LordHelpUs Make me Salt indeed that i may shine your light & lighten the darkness around me, In Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by CAPSLOCKED: 10:25am On Jun 25, 2017
akintom:

Christianity is a religion of Hypocrisy, by the hypocrites and for the hypocrites.

JUST SUMMARIZE ALL THE LONG THING INTO 2 SIMPLE WORDS; "HYPOCRISY & BULLSHITRY".

IF THESE TWO CAN BE STOPPED THEN ITS A SURE WAY TO GO.. BUT HECK NO. THE RELIGION ITSELF DEPENDS ON THEM FOR CONTINUAL EXISTENCE!
cheesy

4 Likes

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by obamabinladen(m): 10:26am On Jun 25, 2017
Women quit dressing like men.
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by Wealthyonos(m): 10:28am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit all these ''22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit if you've not quit them yourself''
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by PetrePan(m): 10:28am On Jun 25, 2017
If they ask me;have i seen this on fp before?..i will say yes
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by dalndi: 10:30am On Jun 25, 2017
DKJaleel:
Quit hypocrisy

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by philfearon(m): 10:31am On Jun 25, 2017
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by KKKWHITE(m): 10:36am On Jun 25, 2017
Fornication
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by philfearon(m): 10:37am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit this,quit that; do this,do that..If you don't do this,you die;if you do this,you die...and so many bla bla Blah's all because of religion!!
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by GeneralB: 10:39am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit quitting to quit what you might have quit.
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by elderhimself(m): 10:39am On Jun 25, 2017
If you are looking for a perfect christian, i'm sorry to say then that you won't find any.
Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by jejemanito: 10:40am On Jun 25, 2017
Moses said it was 10

Jesus reduced it to 2

Now a bloody moniker has expanded it to 22

And they wonder why enlightened teens no longer believe their cocck and bull crap undecided

1 Like

Re: 22 Things Christ Followers Should Totally Quit by Teaser4(m): 10:40am On Jun 25, 2017
Quit posting thrash!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All Churches Should Close Before 9am Today To Enable Members Go To The Bank / Desmond Tutu Celebrates 60th Wedding Anniversary / More Fallacies & Scientific Inaccuracies In The Lying Koran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.