Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way (2924 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / Praying In Tongues : The Weapon That Builds You Up - Joseph Prince Sermon Notes / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 11:07am On Jun 25, 2017
Act 2:6
This bible verse clearly explains what speaking in tongues means.
It is only in Nigerian churches that you'll hear Shiba laba iskaba iskoloboto galala and shoki in the name of speaking in tongues.
Biko did I miss any memo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by okawanyi(m): 11:16am On Jun 25, 2017
Any sin against the holy spirit is not forgiven, take note!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by dingbang(m): 11:16am On Jun 25, 2017
Lol... There is no difference between one who speaks in tongues and has no love and a prostitute...
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 25, 2017
okawanyi:
may Amadioha strike that holy spirit down

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by ITbomb(m): 11:58am On Jun 25, 2017
okawanyi:
And this fear keeps Africans on the lowest level of spirituality when others are having a close and higher relationship with the Almighty as Apostle Paul said in Hebrew 4 : leaving behind the first principles... and pressing towards perfection (the fullness of the Godhead).
How can we press towards perfection when we are afraid of knowing how things work.

Back to the topic, the speaking of tongues we hear in most churches is just gibberish.
Where the Holy Spirit works, there is order and you will feel the solemn presence of the Almighty even without a sound

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by CAPSLOCKED: 12:21pm On Jun 25, 2017
okawanyi:

WHO TOLD YOU THIS?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 1:26pm On Jun 25, 2017
adepeter26:

Loooooool you dey vex O.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 1:31pm On Jun 25, 2017
okawanyi:

Tell me who's sinning against the holy spirit between I who has a bible verse to corroborate me or your pastors adulterating the holy spirit. Where did any of the apostles yell iskaba? Abi you're preaching from the gospel of wande coal?
Please your eyes and mind are begging you to open them already.

3 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Hiswordxray(m): 2:58pm On Jun 25, 2017
We have not gotten deep into tongues, we've only deep our toe. When we get deeper into tongues you would hear a more mature tongue.

For me, I have heard myself speak various languages while speaking in tongues and I realize they were authentic human language. I was able to find translation for some of the words I spoke. There are genuine tongues out there but the immature ones are the popular ones.

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 3:07pm On Jun 25, 2017
dingbang:
Lol... There is no difference between one who speaks in tongues and has no love and a prostitute...

I don't get.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by brandonobi(m): 3:34pm On Jun 25, 2017
speaking in tongues, wow, saying rubbish to impress dunces who think u have the holy spirit upon u, and people will be shouting amen, and I'm just like, are they well at all

2 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 25, 2017
pressplay411:

Loooooool you dey vex O.
I wan see the punishment of the holy spirit ni jare.... Christianity don dae lié since time immemorial
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by ScepticalPyrrho: 4:22pm On Jun 25, 2017
Speaking in tongue claim: A step further into delusion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 8:44pm On Jun 25, 2017
ITbomb:

And this fear keeps Africans on the lowest level of spirituality when others are having a close and higher relationship with the Almighty as Apostle Paul said in Hebrew 4 : leaving behind the first principles... and pressing towards perfection (the fullness of the Godhead).
How can we press towards perfection when we are afraid of knowing how things work.

Back to the topic, the speaking of tongues we hear in most churches is just gibberish.
Where the Holy Spirit works, there is order and you will feel the solemn presence of the Almighty even without a sound

This is part of the ambiguity of the bible that creates room for misinterpretation.
My deduction when bible said the apostles spoke in different tongues, it was referring to tongue meaning language. It clearly stated that foreigners were able to understand and identify the apostles who suddenly began to speak their ongue.
But trust 9ja, everything overdrive.

3 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by AjahAgility: 8:33pm On Aug 11, 2017
your head dey there. chokom!!!
pressplay411:

This is part of the ambiguity of the bible that creates room for misinterpretation.
My deduction when bible said the apostles spoke in different tongues, it was referring to tongue meaning language. It clearly stated that foreigners were able to understand and identify the apostles who suddenly began to speak their tongue.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by AjahAgility: 8:49pm On Aug 11, 2017
NO SIR
The gift of speaking in foreign tongues was one of the manifestations of God’s outpoured holy spirit upon the faithful disciples of Christ on Pentecost 33 C.E. However, this was no duplication of what occurred on the Plains of Shinar 22 centuries earlier. For, instead of replacing their original language with a new one, these disciples retained their mother tongue and at the same time were enabled to speak in the tongues of foreign-language groups about the magnificent things of God. (Ac 2:1-11) Along with this ability to speak in different tongues, other miraculous gifts of the spirit were bestowed on members of the early Christian congregation, including the gift of translating from one language to another. Christians were also given instruction on the proper use of this gift.—1Co 12:4-10, 27-30; 14:5, 13-28.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002184?q=speaking+in+different+tongue%3F&p=par#h=2

pressplay411:
Act 2:6
This bible verse clearly explains what speaking in tongues means.
It is only in Nigerian churches that you'll hear Shiba laba iskaba iskoloboto galala and shoki in the name of speaking in tongues.
Biko did I miss any memo?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by AjahAgility: 9:04pm On Aug 11, 2017
Speaking in Tongues—Is It From God?

“I JUST don’t understand,” says Devon. “Each week at my church, many seem to get the holy spirit and miraculously speak in different languages. Some of them lead immoral lives. Meanwhile, I try to live in a morally upright way. Yet, as much as I pray for it, I never receive this gift of the spirit. How can that be?”

Gabriel likewise attends a church where people appear to receive holy spirit and speak in tongues. “What bothers me,” he explains, “is that during my prayers, others interrupt me with loud speech that neither I nor they understand. No one really benefits from this speech. Should not a gift of God’s spirit have some useful purpose?”

The experiences of Devon and Gabriel raise an intriguing question, Is speaking in tongues as done in some churches today really from God? To answer that question, it is helpful to examine the gift of miraculous speech among first-century Christians.

They “Started to Speak With Different Tongues”

In the Bible, we read of some men and women who were given power to speak languages that they had never learned. This first occurred on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E., a few weeks after the death of Jesus Christ. On that day in Jerusalem, some 120 disciples of Jesus “became filled with holy spirit and started to speak with different tongues.” Visitors from foreign lands “were bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in his own language.”—Acts 1:15; 2:1-6.

The Bible mentions other early followers of Jesus who had this remarkable ability. For example, empowered by holy spirit, the apostle Paul could miraculously speak in numerous tongues. (Acts 19:6; 1 Corinthians 12:10, 28; 14:18) But any such gift of God’s holy spirit should logically have a good purpose. So, what purpose did speaking in tongues serve in Bible times?

READ MORE @: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010735?q=speaking+in+different+tongue%3F&p=par#h=11

pressplay411:

My deduction when bible said the apostles spoke in different tongues, it was referring to tongue meaning language. It clearly stated that foreigners were able to understand and identify the apostles who suddenly began to speak their ongue.

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Hier(m): 9:07pm On Aug 11, 2017
adepeter26:

where are you from please
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by edicied: 9:22pm On Aug 11, 2017
okawanyi:
The same holy spirit that Bleeped Mary? Pls, what is holy in Sex? grin

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Hier(m): 9:27pm On Aug 11, 2017
pressplay411:

Tell me who's sinning against the holy spiritx between I who has a bible verse to corroborate me or your pastors adulterating the holy spirit. Where did any of the apostles yell iskaba? you're preaching from the gospel of wande coal?
Please your eyes and mind are begging to open them already.

What's your definition for Apostles, cause many this days screen Paul out, but Jude 1:20 spirit, building up yourself on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.

In case you are a fan of Paul, Paul said, when one prays in tongue, the spirit prayeth but. his understanding is unfruitful, meaning his human understanding is not comprehending or understanding what's going on. see Romans8:26-27, 1 corin14:2, 1 corin 14:14-15.

well, you explain the Bible with the Bible, meaning, you interprete a verse by what similar verse are saying.

There are four other places tongues was made mentioned in acts and it was not mentioned that someone understood what they said. Thank the religious teacher who taught you those anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 11:15am On Aug 12, 2017
Hier:

What's your definition for Apostles, cause many this days screen Paul out, but Jude 1:20 spirit, building up yourself on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.

In case you are a fan of Paul, Paul said, when one prays in tongue, the spirit prayeth but. his understanding is unfruitful, meaning his human understanding is not comprehending or understanding what's going on. see Romans8:26-27, 1 corin14:2, 1 corin 14:14-15.

well, you explain the Bible with the Bible, meaning, you interprete a verse by what similar verse are saying.

There are four other places tongues was made mentioned in acts and it was not mentioned that someone understood what they said. Thank the religious teacher who taught you those anyway.

There're some arguments that all you can do is choose to agree to disagree simply cos they're inconclusive. On that note, i say Nigerian pastors profane and desecrate the tongue based on biblical reference. You think otherwise based on what your pastor says and does. No problem.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Hier(m): 11:42am On Aug 12, 2017
pressplay411:

There're some arguments that you can i is choose to agree to disagree simply cos theyhi're inconclusive. On that note, i say Nigerianall pastwoulors profane and desecrate the tongue based on biblical reference. You think days based on what your pastor says and does.No problem.

Well, am sorry to say this, I personal speak in tongues, moreso, I was a skeptic like you, but lemme just say, I speak as the Holy Spirit giveth me utterance. If I try to speak it on my own accord, I won't enjoy it, moreso I would get tayad easily. I have prayed in tongues for hours and I can say on the average, 3-4 hours and I would say I love it and I don't feel I'm forcing myself to mutter words or something. It was so easy to pray this way, not to talk about the fragrance that comes with the presence of God that you just don't wanna let go of when I pray in tongues

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 11:46am On Aug 12, 2017
Hier:

Well, am sorry to say this, I personal speak in tongues, moreso, I was a skeptic like you, but lemme just say, I speak as the Holy Spirit giveth me utterance. If I try to speak it on my own accord, I won't enjoy it, moreso I would get tayad easily. I have prayed in tongues for hours and I can say on the average, 3-4 hours and I would say I love it and I don't feel I'm forcing myself to mutter words or something. It was so easy to pray this way, not to talk about the fragrance that comes with the presence of God that you just don't wanna let go of when I pray in tongues

Good for you.
But have you ever asked yourself what the purpose of speaking in tongue is?
Is it just to impress your pastor or the "sisters" or to communicate with foreigners?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Hier(m): 6:51pm On Aug 12, 2017
pressplay411:

Good for you.
But have you ever asked yourself what the d purpose of speaking in tongue is?
eu
Is it just to impress your pastor or the " or to communicate with foreigners?

Paul said I speak in tongues more than ye all. In another place, Jude 1:20, it says building up yourself on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost. Another one said, he that prayeth in an unknown tongue edify himself. Romans 8:26 said, likewise the spirit helpeth our infirmities, because we do not know how to pray as we ought to. Lemme ask, how do intercede for countries like China and Pakistan where they need our prayer save by the spirits interference. I understand a part of speaking in tongues should address foreigners, that aspect is not under my control. If God want to use me to help get a message across in another language, left to Him, if otherwise, left to Him not me. The spirit controls all this things, but you won't understand. But the Bible talks about using tongues as a form of prayer.

1 Corin 14:14-15
KJV:For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful
KJV:What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Romans 8:26

KJV:Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

1 corin 14:4
KJV:He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Jude 1:20

KJV:But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by KinzyeWriter(m): 7:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
Hier:

Paul said I speak in tongues more than ye all. In another place, Jude 1:20, it says building up yourself on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost. Another one said, he that prayeth in an unknown tongue edify himself. Romans 8:26 said, likewise the spirit helpeth our infirmities, because we do not know how to pray as we ought to. Lemme ask, how do intercede for countries like China and Pakistan where they need our prayer save by the spirits interference. I understand a part of speaking in tongues should address foreigners, that aspect is not under my control. If God want to use me to help get a message across in another language, left to Him, if otherwise, left to Him not me. The spirit controls all this things, but you won't understand. But the Bible talks about using tongues as a form of prayer.

1 Corin 14:14-15
KJV:For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful
KJV:What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Romans 8:26

KJV:Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

1 corin 14:4
KJV:He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Jude 1:20

KJV:But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

You preek dey stand to answer this one abi? undecided and I mentioned you to explain some verses in the other thread but you take your slippers put am for armpit and run like bolt cheesy you no fit answeram... shioor

1 Like

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Hier(m): 9:55pm On Aug 12, 2017
KinzyeWriter:
You preek dey stand to answer this one abi? undecided and I mentioned you to explain some verses in thread but you take your slippers put am for armpit and run like bolt cheesy you no fit answe:6rlla feam... shioor

okay, I have a thread I created that made FP that I have not yet attended to. Lemme just say, I might not really have that much time to attend to many things at once. And I think the main reason I talk about things like this is basically to renew the mindset of the readers or viewers. I would check the mention, probably you said something that made me stop the talk. I'm not here to prove a point to anyone that is bent on not listening. Only interested fellas #Matt5:6
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by AjahAgility: 11:39pm On Nov 30, 2017
showy display of " who knows?". Abeg, try and learn bible truths. This can't give you God's approval.
Hier:

Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by AjahAgility: 11:41pm On Nov 30, 2017
And who cares. Abeg just fly. Next time aim for back page
Hier:

okay, I have a thread I created that made FP that I have not yet attended to. Lemme just say, I might not really have that much time to attend to many things at once. And I think the main reason I talk about things like this is basically to renew the mindset of the readers or viewers. I would check the mention, probably you said something that made me stop the talk. I'm not here to prove a point to anyone that is bent on not listening. Only interested fellas #Matt5:6
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by Hier(m): 8:24am On Dec 01, 2017
AjahAgility:
And who cares. Abeg just fly. Next time aim for back page

AjahAgility:
showy display of " who knows?". Abeg, try and learn bible truths. This can't give you God's approval.

Thanks bro
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 7:06am On Jan 21, 2018
okawanyi:

Forgive my ignorance, I know better now. Thx
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 7:08am On Jan 21, 2018
adepeter26:

I pray you find more knowledge. Speaking in tongues is real
Re: Speaking In Tongues: The Naija Way by pressplay411(m): 7:10am On Jan 21, 2018
ITbomb:

While it's likely some churches profane the spiritual tongue, it's impossible really to know.
I believe in speaking in tongues now. It's scriptural. I pray for more knowledge and understanding for us all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Audio: Download Duncan Williams Messages And Things To Know About Him / ARE CHRISTIANS SICK? Re; Nelson Mandela In Hell (an Atheist Response) / How Should Christians Respond To The Book Of Mormon?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.