Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Is It Permissible To Give An English Or Yoruba Name To A Child In Islam? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is It Permissible To Give An English Or Yoruba Name To A Child In Islam? (428 Views)

Is It Permissible For A Woman To Wear A Makeup When Her Suitor Comes? / The Month Of Rajab: Is It Permissible To Fast? / Islamically, Is It Permissible To Divorce My Husband Based On Polygamy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It Permissible To Give An English Or Yoruba Name To A Child In Islam? by smemud(m): 3:04pm On Jun 25, 2017
Names seem to play an important role in a society. Most Muslims who come from the Middle East tend to use or already have Arabic or Islamic names, which may have roots in the Arabic language.
However, there's a growing number of Muslims in the western world, who either reverted to Islam or were born there to Muslim parents and got English names.
So if the two categories have English or Yoruba names (as is the case with my name: Olusegun), can they keep them or should they change them to some sort of Islamic ones? If the case of changing applies, does it also apply to people who come from other countries such as Yoruba,Igbo etc? I am pretty sure those people have their own names rooted in their local culture or language.PLS I DON'T MIND ANY SOURCE FROM THE QUR'AN OR HADITH.
Re: Is It Permissible To Give An English Or Yoruba Name To A Child In Islam? by budosky(m): 6:59pm On Jun 25, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Wudu - Ablution - Purity / Why Does The Toilet In Our Masjid Stinks? / Sobolation Series (1) How Many Wives Do You Have?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.