Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Classical Music Is Better Than Rap - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Classical Music Is Better Than Rap (12771 Views)

Poll: Classical Music vs Rap: which do you prefer?

Classical Music: 50% (29 votes)
Rap Music: 49% (28 votes)
This poll has ended

Thread For Opera/classical Music Lovers / Nigerian Music Is Better Than America's / Enya's Music Is Satanic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 2:18pm On Feb 03, 2007
Comparing classical to rap is like comparing filet mignon to a cheeseburger. One is cheap, easy, and convenient. The other requires a more sophisticated taste. The only reason why rap sells so much is because it is constantly played for the teeny bops who make up the majority of the album purchasing population.

If MTV and VH1 were to tell the album buying youth that classical music was cool, the stores wouldn't be able to stock the shelves fast enough.

100 years from now, what is going to be in more peoples music players: Tchaikovsky or Tupac?

Classical music withstands the test of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGmIlMS60c0

Discuss.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by ikamefa(f): 5:31pm On Feb 03, 2007
classical music is one gender of music i dont get to listen to, too often, funny enough i only listen to it only when am about to fall asleep maybe once in a blue moon! embarassed tongue
i would like to learn more about it!, some times rap and R& B could be a little way over the top sometimes.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by nilla(f): 5:36pm On Feb 03, 2007
I don't think I'd say one is better than the other.
I love classical music. Like you said, it's sophisticated.

On the other hand I rarely listen to rap (unless I'm at a place where that's all thats been played or on the radio).
I'll listen to clean rap any day though.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by my2cents(m): 6:17pm On Feb 03, 2007
Definition of music (from my JS3 class wink) - the organization of sound that is pleasant to the ear.

Definition of music 2 (from my personal experience wink) - one manz meat is another manz poison.

Asking which is better is like comparing apples and oranges. Now if you said, Beethoven is better than Bach, or Gangsta rap is better than plain old rap, I would engage in the discussion grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijacutee(f): 6:37pm On Feb 03, 2007
I really really cannot stand rap, therefore I'll go for anything but rap. Do Marvin Gaye, Teddy Pendergrass and Jim Reeves classify as classical?
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 6:40pm On Feb 03, 2007
my2cents:

Definition of music (from my JS3 class wink) - the organization of sound that is pleasant to the ear.

Agreed. Rap isn't music. It is talking to pre recorded music. No talent needed to be a rapper.   Pick up a guitar or sit down to a piano once in a while and try to sing along with the music.  Much more talent required (trust me) while rap doesn't require any authentic talent, other than some mush mouth spitting and not even having any instruments.  A retarded dog can rap. Rapping takes zero, I repeat zero talent.

my2cents:

Definition of music 2 (from my personal experience wink) - one manz meat is another manz poison.

LMAO

my2cents:

Asking which is better is like comparing apples and oranges. Now if you said, Beethoven is better than Bach, or Gangsta rap is better than plain old rap, I would engage in the discussion grin

Not quite.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 6:42pm On Feb 03, 2007
naijacutee:

I really really cannot stand rap, therefore I'll go for anything but rap. Do Marvin Gaye, Teddy Pendergrass and Jim Reeves classify as classical?

It can't get any worse than rap. Heck, even Indian Tribal music is better than Rap.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijafan(m): 6:47pm On Feb 03, 2007
@my2cents
yeah right. thanks o jare. me self dey wonder which kyn comparison dem dey do.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijafan(m): 6:49pm On Feb 03, 2007
sharetroll:

It can't get any worse than rap. Heck, even Indian Tribal music is better than Rap.

na u sabi!
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 6:52pm On Feb 03, 2007
naijafan:

@my2cents
yeah right. thanks o jare. me self dey wonder which kyn comparison them dey do.

Explain how they are in no way comparable.

naijafan:

na u sabi!

. . . .and you lose your mullet privileges.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by killacam(m): 6:55pm On Feb 03, 2007
MAN DON'T EVA SAY DAT, RAP IS BETTA THAN THOSE CLASSSIC SHIT,PLAYIN.I WOULD NOT ADVICE YOU GUYS BUY DAT SHIT
KILLA DIPSET ALLDAY NO HOMO
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 7:00pm On Feb 03, 2007
killacam:

MAN DON'T EVA SAY DAT, RAP IS BETTA THAN THOSE CLASSSIC SHIT,PLAYIN.I WOULD NOT ADVICE YOU GUYS BUY DAT SHIT
KILLA DIPSET ALLDAY NO HOMO

LMAO. Rap just requires a certain attitude, some original lyrics and a decent beat. Hardly any talent.

Carry on.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Douzy(m): 7:20pm On Feb 03, 2007
LOL. . . Didn't someone break rap down to a drum [/b]and a [b]talkative? grin grin grin
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by killacam(m): 7:22pm On Feb 03, 2007
WHO TOLD YOU NO TALENT JUSS COS THEM BE RAPPERS,MEN CHILL SOMEWHERE,CALSSIC SHIT ANIT GOT NO TALENT,I COULD PLAY THE PIANO,DRUM.SO I CHOOSE TO APPLY THEM IN RAP MUSIC NOT CLASSIC SHIT,BY THEY WAY CLASSIC SHIT NOT GONNA SELL IN NAIJA.
KILLA DIPSET ALL DAY NO HOMO
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by NaijaProf(m): 7:26pm On Feb 03, 2007
Pls I will appreciate it if sb show me how to start a thread.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 7:38pm On Feb 03, 2007
killacam:

WHO TOLD YOU NO TALENT JUSS COS THEM BE RAPPERS,MEN CHILL SOMEWHERE,CALSSIC SHIT ANIT GOT NO TALENT,I COULD PLAY THE PIANO,DRUM.SO I CHOOSE TO APPLY THEM IN RAP MUSIC NOT CLASSIC SHIT,BY THEY WAY CLASSIC SHIT NOT GONNA SELL IN NAIJA.

LOL. Spoken like a very ignorant person. The popularity of classical music is phenominal. It's much bigger, and popular, than people can imagine.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 7:39pm On Feb 03, 2007
NaijaProf:

Please I will appreciate it if sb show me how to start a thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-17637.0.html
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by NaijaProf(m): 7:43pm On Feb 03, 2007
Thanks
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by NaijaProf(m): 7:53pm On Feb 03, 2007
This site is far from being friendly. Sth as common as starting a thread is a huge task. Seun or who ever should make it easier for people especially new lads in the block to post. Nobody's got all the time to waste tryin to figure out how to start a thread. Before you guys start, I know I am off topic here! Just frustrated trying to post a new topic.

Prof.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by gbadex1(m): 8:01pm On Feb 03, 2007
You call yourself Prof. and yet don't even know how to start a fuckin' thread.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by NaijaProf(m): 8:08pm On Feb 03, 2007
Does being a Professor mean you can jump into anything and immediately know it?  You punkass! Read what i said, I aint got time to waste tryin to figure out sth that should have been made very obvious from the outset. That's what the site is all about! Starting new threads and posting replies. More user-friendly that's what I was hittin at. Not who I am. I can be Thomas Hobbes or whatever. You get me!

Prof.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by showbobo(m): 8:27pm On Feb 03, 2007
LMAO
Prof you really funny ooooo grin grin grin.he be like say that guy really upset you.Anyway,just follow the link you were given.Goodluck
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 9:11pm On Feb 03, 2007
lmao@Gbade grin

i agree with my2cents wink
Definition of music (from my JS3 class ) - the organization of sound that is pleasant to the ear.

Definition of music 2 (from my personal experience ) - one manz meat is another manz poison.

Asking which is better is like comparing apples and oranges. Now if you said, Beethoven is better than Bach, or Gangsta rap is better than plain old rap, I would engage in the discussion
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by grafikdon: 9:30pm On Feb 03, 2007
One man's music is another man's poison and try to get a credible definition of 'classical' music. Are you talking about the music of Beethoven, Bach and Schubert or some pop music?

I Listen to your music and let others listen to whatever they deem pleasant. I listen to music by instinct and that simply means I have no favourite genre be it rap, Reggae, rock, heavy metal, pop, afro beat, juju, funk, jazz, symphony, concerto, Sonata, whateva. If it moves me in ways beyond description, I am definitely going to embrace it, despite the language used. Funny some people who listen to heavy metal think rap is 'crap'. . . apparently they are not paying any attention to some of the demeaning lyrics of heavy metal. . . yeah, I listen to heavy metal so I know what I am talking about.

Live and let live. If you think rap is garbage, simply ignore it and move on. Don't try to fight rap because you WILL NOT win. On the other hand, if you think rock or heavy metal is 'satanic'. . . simply ignore it and move on, don't try to fight heavy metal because you CANNOT WIN. If you think the music of Ludwig Van Beethoven is for old bones, you ca keep that erroneous concept to yourself and move on.

I don tok my own o.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by naijacutee(f): 9:31pm On Feb 03, 2007
killacam:

My problem with rap is : Where is the originality? Why does everyone have to talk about the same things - Niggers, Guns, Girls, Booties and Money. (Except for a maximum of 5 popular rappers who have occasionally fallen into the cycle themselves.) It's just so sickening - they all dress the same, talk the same, put the same things in their mouths, carry the same things in their back pockets. I mean, some of them are real good poets but this rap-thing just kills so much of their potential and they end up in prison over words someone has said or something even stupider.

And between, what is "killa dipset all day no homo"? Is that one of the things they teach people to say?(
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 9:39pm On Feb 03, 2007
Eurphoria:

lmao@Gbade grin

i agree with my2cents wink

In what particular idea? People banging on garbage pails with sticks can be music, let alone rap.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2007
grafikdon:

One man's music is another man's poison and try to get a credible definition of 'classical' music. Are you talking about the music of Beethoven, Bach and Schubert or some pop music?

I Listen to your music and let others listen to whatever they deem pleasant. I listen to music by instinct and that simply means I have no favourite genre be it rap, Reggae, rock, heavy metal, pop, afro beat, juju, funk, jazz, symphony, concerto, Sonata, whateva. If it moves me in ways beyond description, I am definitely going to embrace it, despite the language used. Funny some people who listen to heavy metal think rap is 'crap'. . . apparently they are not paying any attention to some of the demeaning lyrics of heavy metal. . . yeah, I listen to heavy metal so I know what I am talking about.

Live and let live. If you think rap is garbage, simply ignore it and move on. Don't try to fight rap because you WILL NOT win. On the other hand, if you think rock or heavy metal is 'satanic'. . . simply ignore it and move on, don't try to fight heavy metal because you CANNOT WIN. If you think the music of Ludwig Van Beethoven is for old bones, you ca keep that erroneous concept to yourself and move on.

I don tok my own o.

I think classical music is the greatest music out there. My personal fave. . . there's nobody on earth currently that can match up to Mozart or Beethoven or Chopin, etc. Music has indeed regressed since the romantic/baroque era, that is undeniable.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 9:51pm On Feb 03, 2007
is it just Beethoven and shubert you knw of? anyone with A level music can tell you about hem, give us some more to go on please wink
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 9:54pm On Feb 03, 2007
naijacutee:

My problem with rap is : Where is the originality? Why does everyone have to talk about the same things - Niggers, Guns, Girls, Booties and Money. (Except for a maximum of 5 popular rappers who have occasionally fallen into the cycle themselves.) It's just so sickening - they all dress the same, talk the same, put the same things in their mouths, carry the same things in their back pockets. I mean, some of them are real good poets but this rap-thing just kills so much of their potential and they end up in prison over words someone has said or something even stupider.

And between, what is "killa dipset all day no homo"? Is that one of the things they teach people to say?(

Jazz paved the way for almost every new genre of music in the past 100 years, including rap. To be fair, I think we group all rappers together and we shouldn't.  There are actually quality rappers that exist.  I really like Kanye West.  He doesn't do what everyone wants him to do.  He has a message and a meaning to what he is writing.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by sharetroll(m): 9:59pm On Feb 03, 2007
Eurphoria:

is it just Beethoven and shubert you knw of? anyone with A level music can tell you about hem, give us some more to go on please wink

Futile, according on the topic.
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Eurphoria(f): 10:12pm On Feb 03, 2007
sure lol
Re: Classical Music Is Better Than Rap by Radiant(f): 10:35pm On Feb 03, 2007
lmao. . .2cents, you go baby tongue

Prof embarassed grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

*download New Terry G* Terry G Ft 9ice - Ori Mi + Terry G Ft Naeto C - This Life / Mercy Chinwo - Confidence (Official Video) / Kardinal Offishal Ft WizKid – Reppin For My City (the Anthem Pt. 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.