Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,877 members, 7,802,821 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria (12712 Views)

How Can I Stop My Ex From Visiting My Matrimonial Home? / German Wife Of Nigerian Man Shares Experience Visiting Nigeria With Her Kids / Lady Gives Birth To Baby Boy While Visiting Her Husband In The Hospital. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Opinionated: 11:37am On Jun 26, 2017
Children are the cutest, especially when they are below the age of 6. However, they are also unpredictable, noisy, messy and are prone to flying into a rage at the slightest thing.  While the easiest thing to do would be to keep them inside your house at all times to avoid the stress and embarrassment they can cause you outside, staying indoors all the time could get them super cranky as well.

No doubt these tots are hard to handle, however, there are particular occasions that require that you definitely take them out in public.  For those who are anxious about those times, Jumia Travel shares five helpful tips for taking little children out in public.

Give them a warning before you set out

Children can be utterly defiant, but they do have a sense of direction and can follow instructions once they are clearly informed. Before you set out to the grocery shop, mall or church, sit the children down and tell them what behaviors you expect from them, letting them know what the consequences of disobedience would be. It does not hurt to exaggerate as children are very impressionable and tend to believe almost everything.

Adopt a reward system

The only thing children love more than tasty treats and attention are rewards. To them, rewards are a form of recognition and so they are willing to comply to earn one. Rather than shout on then or even spank them, offer them a reward for good behavior and keep to your words. They will always comply thereafter. For instance, you could have a sticker book for good behaviors and you could say to the children: if you behave nicely and eat properly when we get to the restaurants, I will give you an extra sticker. Toddles for some reason love sticker…well, as long as they are sure a number of stickers will eventually earn them something.

Do not forget the diaper

Children may not be babies anymore, but they use the toilet a lot. They always want to take a pee or even do a number 2. Public toilets are not the best for children as they are not only exposed to strong germs, they also can be difficult to control in the loo. It is advisable to garb them in diapers when going to a public place. Also pack extra diapers in a bag as well as extra clothing…you just never can tell how many times they will go.

Give a measure of freedom

Children can get really rebellious, especially when they feel they are being constricted. It is important to give them a measure of freedom rather than have them on a tight leash. This gives them the idea that they are having fun and they are less cranky or less prone to tantrums that way. This does not mean you should not be firm. Just find a way to create a measure of balance, that way they remain manageable. Carefully packed distractions come in handy as well.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/4-ways-handle-children-visiting-public-places-nigeria/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by TheHistorian(m): 6:19pm On Jun 26, 2017
Well written!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by ekems2017(f): 6:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
If you like warn them as many times as you can. It's what enters their brain at that particular time that they do.
That is children for you.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by SolnergyPower: 6:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
Many thanks to the OP!
Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Rtopzy(f): 6:23pm On Jun 26, 2017
Cool, nice piece

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by lozairio(m): 6:24pm On Jun 26, 2017
Not yet a daddy but I will learn
Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by HITTED(m): 6:25pm On Jun 26, 2017
Just strap them to the wall and do your thing! angry

5 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by nonyceezy(m): 6:27pm On Jun 26, 2017
also soak a cane inside the water at home and make sure they see it.....give a stern warning that no misbehaviour shall go unpunished

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by vcente(m): 6:27pm On Jun 26, 2017
reminds of what I had to go through before I got m&m's.now the children literally try to help me out whenever I'm working.these were the same people that simple go inside is wahala and I don't like shouting

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Rtopzy(f): 6:29pm On Jun 26, 2017
HITTED:
Just strap them to the wall and do your thing! angry
Chaii!!!!!!!!!!!!, You wicked o
Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by mikkypel(m): 6:39pm On Jun 26, 2017
Give them a brain formatting konk when they behave abnormally.... It worked for my dad
Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 26, 2017
E no easy ooo
Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by darlenese(f): 6:41pm On Jun 26, 2017
nice one EXCEPT the diaper part.

when my daughter was just a year she would remove her diaper when she wants to poo or wee, it doesn't matter where she is, she hates soiling herself.

no1 works best for me.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Amechiwap(m): 6:46pm On Jun 26, 2017
Visit www.dspzxclusive.com to read more on news
Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by masada: 6:50pm On Jun 26, 2017
they r kids
they will always act like one
they will always throw tantrums
it is who they are

4 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Enugufirstson(m): 6:51pm On Jun 26, 2017
Good piece open.... Though,, Will be a dad by 2020...

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 6:58pm On Jun 26, 2017
ekems2017:
If you like warn them as many times as you can. It's what enters their brain at that particular time that they do.
That is children for you.

That is poor parenting for you. If your children cannot comport themselves in public even despite warning and threats, the parents are doing a poor job. Period.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by ekems2017(f): 7:05pm On Jun 26, 2017
Pls what age category are you talking about here?

Timbuktuo:

That is poor parenting for you. If your children cannot comport themselves in public even despite warning and threats, the parents are doing a poor job. Period.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by fpeter(f): 7:19pm On Jun 26, 2017
Timbuktuo:

i'm sure you don't have children yet.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by mzjaney(f): 7:36pm On Jun 26, 2017
Timbuktuo:

What are you saying?

kids will always be kids.. especially wen they are less than 6years old.

Just wait until you start having ur own children.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Liftedhands(f): 7:50pm On Jun 26, 2017
Timbuktuo:

Really? Lolz I seriously doubt you are a parent.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by HITTED(m): 8:12pm On Jun 26, 2017
Seun, this is very bad! Imagine, this thread has been on front page for over 3 hours and it's still on first page! Do something about this server hitch!
Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 8:26pm On Jun 26, 2017
fpeter:

i'm sure you don't have children yet.

I have a 6+plus year old son ho is very, very well-behaved. I can literally count how many times I've spanked him on the fingers of one hand. He has never, I repeat, never misbehaved in public. When fake, failing parents such as yourself don't know how to train children you tend to think everyone is a failure like your incompetent selves.

mzjaney: What are you saying?
kids will always be kids.. especially wen they are less than 6years old.
Just wait until you start having ur own children.
My friend, I am one of the best parents in the world, and I say this without any iota of prevarication. Just because you cannot train children properly doesn't mean everyone else is a failed parent.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 8:27pm On Jun 26, 2017
Liftedhands:
Really? Lolz I seriously doubt you are a parent.

You are wrong and still lolzing. Come and collect free lectures on how to be a good parent and stop embarrassing yourself with your substandard parenting skills.

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 8:39pm On Jun 26, 2017
ekems2017:
Pls what age category are you talking about here?

Children who have a functioning brain. From the day they are born set boundaries. It might sound mean but, it really isn't. Even a one week old child knows what buttons to push to get what he wants, humans are creatures of habit after all.

The problem is people think little kids do not understand but, they absolutely do. Set the boundaries for them quick and they will abide by them. If you are wiating for them to be older before correcting their mistakes you're only making your job harder.

When I talk about children I speak from experience, i have a son wholl be 7 in a few months.

I detest unruly, indisciplined children and my friends are usually happy when I visit them because the children already know Uncle Timbuktuo don't take nonsense. I'm talking under 3 children here. I never spank them but, they know to comport themselves when I'm around. Funny thing is, their parents marvel at the dynamic because the kids almost always want to be around me because I'm extremely playful too. Children are way, way smarter than adults give them credit for.

5 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by concept65: 8:51pm On Jun 26, 2017
Timbuktuo:

I have a 6+plus year old son ho is very, very well-behaved. I can literally count how many times I've spanked him on the fingers of one hand. He has never, I repeat, never misbehaved in public. When fake, failing parents such as yourself don't know how to train children you tend to think everyone is a failure like your incompetent selves.

m

My friend, I am one of the best parents in the world, and I say this without any iota of prevarication. Just because you cannot train children properly doesn't mean everyone else is a failed parent.
Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by concept65: 9:11pm On Jun 26, 2017
Timbuktuo:

I don't mean to be insultive to u sir but your child has a psychological problem and u need to get him checked, it is extremely abnormal to have a 6 year old child that u can count the number of times u have spanked him with one hand.

Children are naturally rebellious and they love freedom and to explore, they get highly excited in unfamiliar places such as malls, hence the misbehavour.Though a little annoying, it brings so much joy to see them happy and lively. Its not normal to have such a young boy who behaves like an ice queen & beat your chest calling yourself the best parent out there, go get your son cheked out.

6 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by Timbuktuo: 9:46pm On Jun 26, 2017
concept65:
I don't mean to be insultive to u sir but your child has a psychological problem and u need to get him checked, it is extremely abnormal to have a 6 year old child that u can count the number of times u have spanked him with one hand.

Children are naturally rebellious and they love freedom and to explore, they get highly excited in unfamiliar places such as malls, hence the misbehavour.Though a little annoying, it brings so much joy to see them happy and lively. Its not normal to have such a young boy who behaves like an ice queen & beat your chest calling yourself the best parent out there, go get your son cheked out.

Did it ever occur to you that I dont spank him frequently because I employ other means of correction? Do you even know what a spank means? I don't have to whip him like he's Kunta Kinte before passing my message across. I punish him and talk to him. We actually have discussions about why he's been punished. He actualky understands what i talk about, at least, he pretends to. grin. And this has been going on since he showed he could inderstand what was being said. That is how to raise a well-adjusted child, not barbaric, impulse-induced lashings like most of you are wont to indulge in.

I am happy to let you know that he has a very healthy appetite for play and adventure. He's very intelligent and not afraid to ask questions and test boundaries. We relate as pals but he knows I can fucck him up if he steps out of line. I'm sure he'll grow to be a fine young man.

Per getting excited in public places, I once spanked him at a mall because he assumed I wouldn't because we were in public. That is the last time I've had to do that, and that was about three years ago. Now, at malls, if he wants to explore, he drags me and tries to cajole me to do so with him. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and he knows better than to leave my side in public. Children are inquisitive but their curiosity can be controlled and properly channelled.

Again, I speak from experience. Just because other children are running around like headless chickens doesn't mean my son has to do so.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Handle Children While Visiting Public Places In Nigeria by fpeter(f): 1:15am On Jun 27, 2017
Timbuktuo:

I already feel sad for your family, especially the kids you're raising. With a "perfectionist" like you, who needs a sadist? I see how you are passing on the good traits to your kids by reading your "competent" replies to all those who opposed your style of parenting. Good luck with your bitter self and as for the insults, they don't bother me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Soap For Washing Machine. / Extramarital Affairs Gone Wrong! A Comrade Has Fallen! / Am Scared To Touch My Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.