Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,575 members, 7,801,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car (23716 Views)

Brand New Car Batteries / Best Car To Buy As A First Car: Car Buying Tips For First Time Buyers / Swap Your Dead Or Weak Inverter Batteries For A New One! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by obafemee80(m): 12:00am On Jun 28, 2017
[img]http:///a/img922/6531/GlCp9k.jpg[/img]

A battery is one of the most important parts of your car. The efficiency of the battery has an effect on the general efficiency of your car. In order to ensure that your car starts and runs efficiently, you should only buy good car batteries.The following tips will help you in identifying a good car battery.

Size and Type:
Size in this context refers to width, length, and height of the battery.The rights size will perfectly fits securely in your car's battery tray.This prevents battery damage by keeping vibration to a minimum.A car battery that is too small can rattle around in the battery tray and suffer short life. 

Shelf Life:
It is not advisable to buy a car battery that has been on a store shelf for more than six months because batteries lose their strength over time,even when they are not in use. You can verify this information by checking the date stamp code.The date gives you specifics on the year of manufacturing.

Maintenance Free:
There are two types of batteries with regard to maintenance requirements – low maintenance and maintenance free.
Low maintenance batteries would require you to top up distilled water every so often. These batteries are good if you live in hot areas. Maintenance-free batteries do not require water to be added.
Low-maintenance batteries are cheaper compared to maintenance-free batteries.

Check the CCA(Cold Cranking Amps):
Checking the CCA – cold-cranking amps – enables you to determine the ability of the battery to start your car even during extremely cold conditions.The CCA also indicates the amount of current a battery can sustain for 30 seconds at zero-degree temperature.Higher CCA is recommended, especially for cars in cold areas.

[img]http:///a/img924/1284/CX31ul.jpg[/img]

Tips on Choosing the Suitable Cold-Cranking Amps Rating for your Car Battery:
Check your owner's manual/battery top to check the CCA rating specified for your car battery.

Do not choose batteries with CCA rating which is much lower or much higher to the rating recommended by your car's manufacturer.

If both your car's battery brand and exact CCA rating level are not available,you may choose a bit higher(not much and not lower)your car's CCA requirements.

Consider The Reserve Capacity(RC):
Before you buy a car battery,you should know how long that particular battery could run using its power alone.This rating indicates the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 ° F will discharge 25 amps until the battery drops below 10.5 volts.Should your alternator fail,a battery with a good reserve capacity will save the day,allowing you to start the vehicle within a certain time frame.

A Strong Warranty:

Look for at least a three-year replacement warranty.Some brands offer longer warranties,or a prorated refund if your battery dies within a certain time after the replacement warranty expires.

https://autojosh.com/tips-buy-best-car-batteries-car/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Davidakaolori(m): 7:09am On Jun 28, 2017
Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by AKPOSbaba: 7:12am On Jun 28, 2017
Thanks for the tips.
Listed a battery as basic need for this month.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by bobbyruffy(m): 7:13am On Jun 28, 2017
Nice one op smiley

1 Like

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by amoduganja: 7:14am On Jun 28, 2017
nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Rahym001(m): 7:14am On Jun 28, 2017
nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by dhope001(m): 7:14am On Jun 28, 2017

1 Like

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by speaktome(m): 7:15am On Jun 28, 2017
Nice one... I am even going to replace my motor battery tomorrow.

#MySignatureMyBusiness
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Alhassanu(m): 7:15am On Jun 28, 2017
nice tips tnx

1 Like

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Damony: 7:17am On Jun 28, 2017
Very informative!

Though I dont have a Car yet but I think this will be very useful in Case of necessity.

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by maverickdude(m): 7:20am On Jun 28, 2017
Shebi na person wey get car dey buy battery grin

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by helphelp: 7:21am On Jun 28, 2017
if you go meet ikenna after 1wk wey battery spoil... he go say "oga your alternator don spoil this battery ooo"

wan siwin gan

7 Likes

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Olalekan95(m): 7:21am On Jun 28, 2017
like say tiger battery no go work... undecided
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Gourdoinc(m): 7:22am On Jun 28, 2017
I have bought four different batteries and all failed within two weeks. what could be the issue. I have checked my electrical wiring with kazeems and all indicate there is no problem. could the fact that my fan is wired directly to the battery be killing the batteries or are they just defective batteries. I have bought adamant, solite, hi-mart, many others.
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Lovechyld101(m): 8:08am On Jun 28, 2017
All this are correct till when you go and buy made in China battery .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Godfullsam(m): 8:57am On Jun 28, 2017
Just last week I suddenly discovered that my battery couldn't start my car. I called my brother who is a mechanic to advise me on which battery I should buy, he told me that the battery can still serve me for like one year or more during which I can raise some money to purchase a new battery.

He said I should bring the battery to his workshop and he will give it to an electrician who will remove the old acid and put a new raw acid. He told me that any good battery can still work when the acid is changed provided the cell is still intact.
I dont know how true it is...

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Spidermon: 9:09am On Jun 28, 2017
Godfullsam:
Just last week I suddenly discovered that my battery couldn't start my car. I called my brother who is a mechanic to advise me on which battery I should buy, he told me that the battery can still serve me for like one year or more during which I can raise some money to purchase a new battery.

He said I should bring the battery to his workshop and he will give it to an electrician who will remove the old acid and put a new raw acid. He told me that any good battery can still work when the acid is changed provided the cell is still intact.

From the little i remember from my secondary sch chemistry, i think that is true
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by tunsmann(m): 9:12am On Jun 28, 2017
This is handy,thanks op
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by adesmum: 9:29am On Jun 28, 2017
Godfullsam:

Pls advise me, is it also possible to repair a battery with spoilt net inside?
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by SeniorZato(m): 9:46am On Jun 28, 2017
Guy na u try fass
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by andycom(m): 9:55am On Jun 28, 2017
Godfullsam:

first, is your battery sealed battery (maintenance free) or acid battery (low maintenance)?.
if it's the 1st one go and buy a new battery but if it's the latter try your brother's suggestion.

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by andycom(m): 9:56am On Jun 28, 2017
adesmum:

Pls advise me, is it also possible to repair a battery with spoilt net inside?

it is not possible

1 Like

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by obafemee80(m): 9:58am On Jun 28, 2017
Godfullsam:

I think you should give your bro a chance to see if the battery can be revived and reconditioned to hold a charge.
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by cluewebhost(m): 10:32am On Jun 28, 2017
Where can I get battery with 3 years replacement warranty in Nigeria
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by harizonal123(m): 10:50am On Jun 28, 2017
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by authenticman(m): 10:58am On Jun 28, 2017
Very vital information especially at a time when the price of battery is becoming prohibitive
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by miqos02(m): 11:05am On Jun 28, 2017
Lovechyld101:
All this are correct till when you go and buy made in China battery .
is there any product that is not made in China these days ??
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by miqos02(m): 11:06am On Jun 28, 2017
cluewebhost:
Where can I get battery with 3 years replacement warranty in Nigeria
I don't think that is possible now,I bought battery last week, the highest they gave me is 6months. the last I bought 2 years ago had 1year waranty
Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by cecegorz(m): 11:13am On Jun 28, 2017
Very nice article...
Some 2weeks back, my fan belt snapped at night on the Eko bridge, cuting off alternator rotation and thus my battery was running without being charged. I had to drive it that way till i got to the stadium and have my mechanic replace the belt. I guess the Reserve capacity was quite good.

On the Warranty issue,
I'm not sure any of the batteries sold in Nigeria can hit 2yrs not to talk of 3.

Since i started buying car batteries for almost 10 years, none has ever lasted more than 1.5years.

If anybody has used any bought-in-Nigeria battery for up to 3years, please i need your supplier.

cc:obafemee80

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by Faramide(m): 1:18pm On Jun 28, 2017
U.S. Visa for family.. pay after visa is given. send a mail to onaona25@YAHOO.COM

1 Like

Re: Tips To Buy The Best Car Batteries For Your Car by pappyshun(m): 1:45pm On Jun 28, 2017
I use inverter battery for my car and I haven't regretted this decision.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Top Cars In 2018 That Will Give You The Assurance You Need / Accident On Lagos Abeokuta Express Road,meiran B/S / Camry 2.2: You Don't Know One Until You Own One

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.