Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,256 members, 7,807,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

Coming To Lagos - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Coming To Lagos (491 Views)

World Coming To An End 2018? / Newcomers Coming To Calabar For The Xmas And Carnival Festivities Check In / Sterling Environmental Makeover (STEM) Is Coming To Computer Village Tomorrow. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Coming To Lagos by pbells006: 12:57am On Jun 28, 2017
[img]traffic-2419319.jpg[/img]
The tech groove around this city keeps burning down my spine every second I browse through a startup or hackathon happening live in Lagos. It Might be of my opinion to say it’s every youth desire to be in Lagos but at some point, I think of a Nigeria without Lagos. The market structure, industrialization, fast delivery, TGIF all make this city outstanding, one would say “what’s all about Lagos”. Lagos city is the most populated in Nigeria and Africa, with GDP in 2014 pegged at $90 billion, Lagos’ economy stands as the 7th largest in Africa- bigger than Cote d’Ivoire and Kenya, two of the continent’s, making Lagos state fastest growing city in the world.

I have parked my bags and leaving town with a night bus, I’ve got a one-way ticket, “am not coming back” the question is can one survive the Lagos hitch and find his destiny. Accommodation has been an issue for people relocating to Lagos “I stay here in Surulere, but I work at Shoprite Lekki” proximity to work plays a major role for people whether a car owner to a commercial transporter. The ecosystem in Lagos is different from here in Abuja, people from all works of life visit Lagos on daily basis either travelling, vendors, educational conferences, tech summit etc. basically, my view focused on the tech growth in Lagos, from tech hubs, co- working spaces and vital key things required for a start-up to fulfilled.

Technological growth in Nigeria has been on the rise, haven’t seen any yet Konga, IrokoTv, Hotelsng might give an insight while Konga plays a major role on eCommerce, IrokoTv brings a better experience on entertainment and movies, the latter makes a hotel booking an easy guide. All these companies headquarter are in Lagos, compare the mode of businesses years back and now, it takes a tech driven company with good algorithm no time to provide a solution to peoples’ problem and make an impact.

Why Lagos, not Portharcourt?

The city is among the fastest growing in the country and the fourth most populated city in Nigeria, having a good number of tech hubs and co-working spaces for creative and like minds. Been on the radar of the oil producing states, it provides the nation's daily breakfast, though fight on corruption has been on the go because of fund mismanagement. Nightlife in Porthacourt is compared to that of Lagos, thus, “No dulling moment, it’s party time”, after work hours. Portharcourt has all it takes to make a better Lagos but it has to do with good governance and competitive spirit among governors.

What to expect from Lagos tech race?

The situation at hand seems to be, if you are not in Lagos the tech sphere is not for you. For instance, IoT is making waves in Lagos from wearables gadgets, virtual reality, smart homes, etc. presently the state government initiated code Lagos to put the next generation of students at the fore front. Prior to this is private sector has been on the verge of making it happen which brought the Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg to Yaba the Nigerian Silicon Valley.

Lagos goldmine for startups

Decades on Lagos state has all it takes to nurture start-ups, a lot of private organization started off the zone. Precise Financial Systems which most indigenous banks use for day to day banking activities, has its root back in the 90’s also hub cluster makes the ecosystem less dense for ease of participation but the scalability of the service needs adjustment.

We have seen start-ups make it through y-combinator seed funding the like of envyl and paystack, this foretells the future of Lagos in the next few years advancing towards smart city, autonomous cars etc.

Why preparing to move to Lagos, I have built a comfort zone not worth leaving, what steps should I take and how do I achieve my goals in Lagos?
https://pbellsng.com

(1) (Reply)

Complete List Of AMAA 2017 Award Winners - See Full List Here / George Weah Meets TB Joshua, Seeks God’s Face At Synagogue Church / Crisis Preparation And Management Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.