Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,852 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:35 AM

Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. (1148 Views)

Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / Navy Warship Arrives Nigeria From China / Azazi, Yakowa Die In Helicopter Crash? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by patbrooks: 2:06am On Jan 28, 2010
They were doing surveliance on the Niger Delta Militants regrouping. soucres from the area say it was shut down by a stinger. They know what happened and know that the inability of other section of Nigeria to respect Niger Deltans for the milk they have always provided to that nation for 50 yrs. Its obvious they feel they are not entitled to rule.

The greatest mistake they will make is for the cabals in the North to kill or over throw the government. That will be the begining of the CIA / Brookings institute prediction. untill the Army Navy and airforce stop the over flights in that area. more will come down.

Those who have ears, let them hear. Infact they may hear. period.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by rethink: 9:55am On Jan 28, 2010
You must be in Afghanistan. to shoot down a mere helicopter you dont need a stinger. get your facts right and stop saying rubish. Stingers are used to shoot down stealths.

Go and find another work to do.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 28, 2010
rethink:

You must be in Afghanistan. to shoot down a mere helicopter you dont need a stinger. get your facts right and stop saying rubish. Stingers are used to shoot down stealths.

Go and find another work to do.

so who is the teacher and who is the student? a stinger is a surface to air missile + launcher that is very portable, and can be operated by one or two men, it can shoot down anything, choppers, stealth and all. which stealth did the mujahideens in afganistan shoot down during the soviet occupation? cos they had enough stingers from america. you just ended up saying more rubbish than the op.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by invisible2(m): 12:00pm On Jan 28, 2010
Hehehehe!

See militants in waiting, una don already sabi wetin dey shoot down wetin, okay, I think this war will be very interesting to watch from ghana or Cameroun.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by rethink: 12:15pm On Jan 28, 2010
DF2006

Stinger is a missle. You dont need a missle to shoot down a heli for it to "CRASH". If you shoot a simple heli with a missle you would not have a crash, you would have particles scattered. You should know if I use a simple RPG to hunt a rat and I tell you to find the Body of the rat you would think I was mad.

It is stupid militarily to use a stinger to shoot down a heli.

for your information stingers are specailized missles. I dont want to go any further.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2010
^^^^^^oga i don,t know what caused the chopper to crash, i am only telling you stingers are not used for only stealths, you should have a rethink about this.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by bibiking1(m): 1:15pm On Jan 28, 2010
Well, that carcas of the chopper i saw was DEFINITELY NOT shot down by a missile! So dude, your conspiracy theory blows up in your face!
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by Shoot2Kill: 1:22pm On Jan 28, 2010
While I like the idea of Navy helicopters being shot down by stingers, Can the militants afford stingers and how do they even get their weapons?

@OP ,are you sure you have not been playing too much of call of duty ?

By the way you can down a helicopter with a simple sniper rifle if you are able hit it’s vulnerable parts, e.g. the fuselage ,the Rotor panel .Better still just shoot the pilot or pilots through the head and sure enough the helicopter will crash.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by rethink: 2:41pm On Jan 28, 2010
@Df2006
If stingers can be used to shoot down a heli

Then the hunters in our villages should stop using SHAKABULLAH to hunt prey they should come to you for RPG's.

You can use a scud 20 to down a heli but that is plain stupidity of the highest Order, The initial poster thinks some of us are gullible. If you know balistics you know that even a pistol shot at a Heli can bring it down.

Stingers are a different type of Surface to Air Like you said but a heli like the Lynx or Apache could be brought down by a single Rocket propelled grenade and heli dont fly in the "Air". You can use a seater. you can also use a heavy gun and even artillery depending on how stupid your army is. you can even use nuclear bomb if you want but that would be folly of any army that does that.

In War bullets are more sacred to a soldier that food or money.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 28, 2010
my brother, rethink. at nowhere in this thread, have i insinuated that a stinger brought the nig navy helicopter down. having made this clear. i will now go on to my argument with you that stingers are not primarily used against only stealth fighters, which you are trying to make us believe.
knowing very well that a pistol can bring down a chopper, if you put me in a position that an apache is attacking my village and i have a stinger and a pistol, i don,t have to think twice on what my weapon of choice will be.
i want to assume that you actually know what a stinger is, it can be carried by man, mounted on a humvee, and it has even been mounted on choppers. if you look at the various kills of the stinger, majority of it are helicopters.
knowing the type of bush war the nigerian soldier is use to, it is a sacrilege to use such an advance weapon to remove a threat like the apache, with it,s enormous firepower, rather he will keep wasting his bullets and his life, so as to save the superior weapon were it will rot in ikeja cantonment and blow up innocent peoples lives.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by edoyad(m): 4:03pm On Jan 28, 2010
I like this thread. Insurrection 101: Guerilla warfare.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by Kay17: 4:08pm On Jan 28, 2010
stingers cannot bring down stealth. its mainly helicopters.
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by DatNiggaAk(m): 4:22pm On Jan 28, 2010
The Stinger's combat debut occurred on 21 May 1982, during the Falklands War fought between Britain and Argentina. Soldiers of the British Special Air Service had been clandestinely equipped with six missiles, although they had received very little instruction in their use. The sole SAS trooper who had received training on the system, and was due to train other troops, was killed in a helicopter crash on 19 May.[2] The very first Stinger fired in military operations shot down an Argentine Pucará ground attack aircraft.[3] Then on the 30 May at about 11.00 a.m., an Aerospatiale SA-330 Puma helicopter was brought down by another, also fired by the SAS in the vicinity of Mount Kent; six National Gendarmerie Special Forces were killed and eight more wounded.[4]
However, any subsequent shots were ineffective due to British troops' unfamiliarity with the weapon's recharging procedure.[citation needed] The main MANPADS used by both sides during the Falklands War was the Blowpipe missile.
The Central Intelligence Agency supplied nearly 500 Stingers (some sources claim 1,500–2,000) to the Mujahideen in Afghanistan during Operation Cyclone, the Soviet war in Afghanistan, in the 1980s. These are thought to have had a decisive impact on the war.[5] After the 1989 Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan, the United States attempted to buy back the Stinger missiles, with a 55 million dollar program to buy back around 300 missiles (US$183,300 each).[6] The U.S. government collected most of the Stingers it had delivered, but some of them found their way into Iran, Qatar and North Korea.[7] The Reagan administration provided Stingers to UNITA anti-communist rebels in Angola the late 1980s. In both cases, efforts to recover missiles after the end of hostilities proved incomplete. The battery of a Stinger lasts for four or five years, so any weapons supplied in the 1980s would now be inoperative.[8] However, local indigenous version of Stinger missiles fielded by the Pakistani Army was used in the Kargil War and shot down an Indian Air Force Mi-8 Helicopter[citation needed] and a MiG-21 aircraft[citation needed], as well as damaging a Canberra reconnaissance aircraft. Pakistan has begun phasing out its inventory of the original American made models completely. The Pakistan indigenous Stinger missile is said to contain an improved IR seeker to better follow its intended target.[citation needed]
In 2009 Hamas Acquired Stinger Missiles and attempted to use them against Israeli AH-64 Apaches only to have the Missiles fail and hit a Hamas Machine-gun emplacement possibly due to the IFF system, Hamas has since stated they would not use Stingers afterwards due to this incident.
The U.S. inventory contains 13,400 missiles. The total cost of the program is $7,281,000,000.[9]
It is rumored that the United States Secret Service has Stinger missiles to defend the President, a notion that it has never dispelled; however, its plans favor moving the President to a safer place in the event of an attack rather than shooting down the plane, lest the missile hit innocents.[10]
Re: Navy Helicopter Down By A Stinger. by DatNiggaAk(m): 4:25pm On Jan 28, 2010
The FIM-92 Stinger is a personal portable infrared homing surface-to-air missile developed in the United States and entered into service in 1981. Used by the militaries of the U.S. and by 29 other countries, the basic Stinger missile has to-date been responsible for 270 confirmed aircraft kills.[1] It is manufactured by Raytheon Missile Systems and under license by EADS in Germany, with 70,000 missiles produced. It is classified as a Man-Portable Air-Defense System (MANPADS).

Light to carry and easy to operate, the FIM-92 Stinger is a passive surface-to-air missile, shoulder-fired by a single operator, although officially it requires two. The FIM-92B can attack aircraft at a range of up to 15,700 feet (4,800 m) and at altitudes between 600 and 12,500 feet (180 and 3,800 m). The missile can also be fired from the M-1097 Avenger and M6 Linebacker. The missile is also capable of being deployed from HMMWV Stinger rack, and can be used by paratroopers. A helicopter launched version exists called Air-to-Air Stinger (ATAS).
The missile is 1.52 m long and 70 mm in diameter with 10 cm fins. The missile itself weighs 10.1 kg, while the missile with launcher weighs approximately 15.2 kg (33.5 pounds). The Stinger is launched by a small ejection motor that pushes it a safe distance from the operator before engaging the main two-stage solid-fuel sustainer, which accelerates it to a maximum speed of Mach 2.2 (750 m/s). The warhead is a 3 kg penetrating hit-to-kill warhead type with an impact fuze and a self-destruct timer.
In order to fire the missile, a BCU (Battery Coolant Unit) must be inserted into the handguard. This shoots a stream of argon gas into the system, as well as a chemical energy charge that enables the acquisition indicators and missile to get power. The batteries are somewhat sensitive to abuse, and only hold so much gas in them. Over time, and without proper maintenance, they are known to become unserviceable. The IFF antenna receives its power from a rechargeable battery. Guidance to the target is initially through proportional navigation and is then switched to another mode that directs the missile towards the target airframe instead of its exhaust plume.
There are three main variants in use: the Stinger basic, STINGER-Passive Optical Seeker Technique (POST), and STINGER-Reprogrammable Microprocessor (RMP).
The Stinger-RMP is so-called because of its ability to load a new set of software via ROM chip inserted in the grip at the depot. If this download to the missile fails during power-up, basic functionality runs off the on-board ROM. The four-processor RMP has 4K of RAM for each processor; since the downloaded code runs from RAM, there is not much space to spare, particularly for processors dedicated to seeker input processing and target analysis. The RMP has a dual-detector seeker: IR and UV. This allows it to distinguish targets from countermeasures much better than the Redeye, which was IR-only.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Should Really Divide / Is Absconding From Duty No Longer A Criminal Offence? - Where Is Yar'adua? / Nigeria National Assembly Is The Most Expensive In D World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.