Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,850 members, 7,802,726 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1316857 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by OmniSparrow: 6:56am On Mar 20, 2018
Finally we hit frontpage... Centino...

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by yehmy(m): 7:09am On Mar 20, 2018
Frontpage with no more update
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Suko110(m): 7:24am On Mar 20, 2018
Centino:
MEET MY NEIGHBOURS (2)

There is also Achike who refused to pay his rent because the budget had not been signed. “Achike, “What has the okrika you are selling at the bus stop got to do with the budget? Alhaji Sirika said, eyes blazing. What has that got to do with my money?” Stout with a prominent distension in the middle, Achike said “My business is tied to government spending. It is intricate Alhaji, you will not understand.” When reminded that the vice president in his capacity as acting president had signed the budget, he said, “It is a ruse. We have no acting president. The man was told to coordinate activities of government till Baba returns. He himself has said that he speaks with the president every day. What that implies is that he still takes instructions from the president. It means we have two presidents which is wrong constitutionally and in that light the budget he signed is null and void! When the budget excuse did not work Achike said “My brothers in the north have been given quit notice. Nobody knows what will happen in two months time.”

I used to think Mr Cosmas was weird until three months after I moved in I began to notice activity in one of the hitherto locked rooms on the ground floor. The returnee occupant is Mr Kingsley. He does not talk to anyone, he never says or responds to greetings, he never flushes the toilet after use and he prefers to take his bath in the bathroom reserved for peeing. He is a heavily bearded towering man with dark piercing eyes and bushy eyebrows with some strands curling out towards the sky. His torso is matted with hair and when he moves he seems to do so on tiptoe. The children call him The Undertaker. He converses only in parables or in quotes and always acknowledges the quoted, often leaving listeners confused. During compound meetings he will be seen stroking his beard and looking disinterested while neighbors raged about one problem or the other. Then someone will say to him “Mr Kingsley, so what do you say? How can we be expected to contribute money to repair the transformer when we pay NEPA bills every month? He will pretend not to hear and will keep everyone waiting for about a minute then he will say “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty. Thomas Jefferson.” Then someone will say “Mr Kingsley you have come again. We are asking what we should do and you are quoting a dead oyibo man for us.” He will again stroke his beard for another minute then say “Whatever we do will seem insignificant but it is important that we do it. Mahatma Ghandi.” It is when he is angry that he produces his best quotes. Usually he quotes an African statesman. One Sunday afternoon, Mr Zubi’s boys were playing police and thief and barged on his door constantly while he was having a siesta. When he could not bear it any longer, he went and knocked on their door and said to Mr Zubi “Mister, warn your children. If they continue to hit my door like that, ‘the come, will turn to become.’ Mbadiwe.”

Living directly opposite Mr Kingsley’s is the born again Spinster Sister Esther. In her late thirties and once beautiful, Sister Esther, always thoroughly covered in maxi skirts and long-sleeve blouses and scarves competed for airtime with the muezzin every morning with her loud hailer admonishing all the souls on the street to “repent, or spend eternity in hell fire”. Before hitting the street she would first put her mouth through Mr Cosmas’ window and say “Brother! The Lord has given you another chance by sparing your life till this morning. Turn away from blasphemy and heresy and call upon the one true God. Repent!” Then she would gather her skirt and jump the gutter and make sure that the first words that rent the air before the muezzin’s speakers cracked would be “repent!”

“She’s in love with The Undertaker” Irikefe once told me. He is the one that shines her congo”. “Don’t be silly Irikefe” I said. “Don’t worry bros Freke. You will see for yourself.”

Now to Lukman the one eyed barber. You would think that after five years of blindness in one eye that he would be used to his lot by now. But he continued to take offence when looked at any longer than he considered necessary. “I am like this because I was fighting for your rights!” He always said. The story is that he was gorged by a policeman who was fighting off a mob that isolated and beat him up during a “peaceful” protest against the APC government for the ill treatment received in the area. “Because we support the PDP and our councilor is an Igbo man we don’t have light and our street is not tarred.” One day, Willy-Willy went to his shop and after staring at him for five minutes said “Bro Lukman, does your missing eye give you a headache?” Lukman planted his knuckles firmly on his head and he ran to tell his elder brother Castro. Castro is eighteen and always spoiling for a fight since he finished secondary school and could not pass his matriculation exams. He stormed into Lukman’s shop and started bouncing his willowy frame about and rolling his fists. Lukman, twenty-five, with a lifetime on the streets easily overpowered Castro. When they got separated, Castro grabbed a clipper with which he smashed a mirror and then ran out into the afternoon. Afterwards I convinced Lukman to buy an eye patch and turn his disability into a style. The first time he wore it and regarded himself in the mirror, his face opened into a broad smile and he said “as the American’s would say, this is badass!” He quickly grew a wicked moustache and bought a montera hat and pointed out to everyone how much he now resembled Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean. Kids now compare every bad guy in movies with Lukman.

It does not seem like the introduction of my neighbors will ever end if I continued. There are too many of them and each of them brings something different. You will have to meet them as my story moves along. But I must tell you about one more person.
The first thing my father said to me as I was leaving for Lagos was to stay away from girls if I wanted to make it in life. But each time I looked at Maya I knew I was going to disobey my father. I wonder why old people continue to spew out this trite wisdom, as if congress between a man and a woman was created in 2017. She is the second of three sisters and the dearest to her mother, Mama Tobi, whom I will tell you about another time. She is seventeen, only four years my junior, graceful as a peacock, with a voice as soft as melting honey. One day her mother said to her “Maya, I saw you looking at that new calabar boy and your eyes were dimming like somebody that drank ogogoro for the first time. Those people are dogs! Be warned!” When she told me, all I said to her was that “it’s a myth.” And her reply was “I know”.

TO BE CONTINUED.
Very interesting write up, I like to learn how to write. More grace bro

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 7:26am On Mar 20, 2018
yehmy:
Frontpage with no more update

you no know wetin happen?

thanks mods. i don forgive una grin

will squeeze in one update asap. but i dey work.

OmniSparrow:
Finally we hit frontpage... Centino...

bros, 4th time my attention been brought to it. make i go write cheesy :

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Rollins777(m): 7:40am On Mar 20, 2018
Same i will continue last week,you said same last week

MEET MY NEIGHBOURS

They managed to squeeze the twenty four room storey building and two self contained and four shops of number 225 Katakata Street into a plot of land that was formerly a swamp. No one knows the exact number of occupants of this building. People stream in and out at all hours like it was a shopping mall, except that here you will see men in only boxers with stiff erections bellowing greetings at neighbors in the morning from the top floor balcony while still rubbing their eyes, women clad in only wrappers around their breasts washing heavy lather from the heads of their children close to the gutter, the privileged shop owners spraying holy water with incantations round their business premises, and many other people being supremely busy within the compound while people continued to stream in and out of the building.

I had since given up hope of knowing all my neighbors. Even with the endless throng of occupants and all the in and out movements all year long, there were still rooms that were secured with large shiny padlocks that were never opened for months. The owners were said to either be out chasing goods or visiting the village for the planting season or ensconced in some bush for religious reasons or even running from the police. There are however many with steady lives with whom I interact everyday and whom I will be telling you about.

My name is Ndifreke. I am a university graduate just arrived Lagos to hustle. I share a room with my thirty year old cousin named Mkpoikanna-Abasi, the pronunciation of which has set up many wrestling bouts down the years, due to his insistence that it be said to perfection, something people of other tribes cannot just wrap their tongues around. Someone had suggested that they simply called him Mkpo. That also drove him mad. So they just call him Calabar boy. He is a wharf rat and proudly so. His only passion in life is Manchester United. You’ll hear him say “This season we will win the league. Mourinho wins the league in his second season wherever he goes.”

For actual neighbors, I’ll start with my favourites. There is Irikefe, nineteen and timid looking but every mother’s nightmare as he is said to be the biggest threat to virginity this side of the equator. He is the son of the caretaker and an apprentice carpenter who everyone knows cannot handle a saw. You will always hear Irikefe say things like “Bros, I will be rich. Whether the devil likes it or not, my time will come.” Recently he has been saying “When I grow up, I want to be like Evans. I supported the free Evans hashtag on twitter. Why would they touch him when bigger criminals are roaming free in the Senate? Free Evans joor!” Then there is Mr Zubi, middle aged, impossibly dark with a knife scar one side of his face. He occupies one of the two self contained in the compound with his large family and we respect him because he does not have to share a bathroom with anyone. One day, his precocious ten year old son Willy-Willy came up to him and said “Daddy, is it true what bro Irikefe said that some of the Chibok girls refused to be rescued because of the rod of Moses they were receiving in the bush?”“Gerraway from here! Ewu Gambia!” he retorted with blazing eyes. The boy was lucky to duck in time as three menacing knuckles flew past his forehead”. The six sons of Mr Zubi always gave him cause to bellow “Ewu Gambia” about one hundred times a day. His wife is Mama Willy-Willy. You will hear her say things like “You see what I always say about those actors?! They are all promiscuous! I hear those two from The Wedding Party are getting married! How can they convince me it did not start on the set of the movie? Someone will now tell me all that kissing and touching and holding mean nothing. That it is just acting. Is a kiss no longer a kiss irrespective of the circumstance of administration? They started enjoying themselves from the movie set o jare! Today, they are husband and wife and nobody is talking about the poor boyfriend and girlfriend who were at home supporting their dreams while they were away fornicating on a ready-made excuse. Now those ones are brokenhearted and getting no sympathy.” She threw her right arm around her head in a wide circle and swore that thunder will fire any woman who would near her man in the guise of acting. Mr Zubi shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He was regularly bedecked as a monkey in NTA’s Tales by Moonlight in the 80’s and once landed a 20 seconds cameo as a cripple in a 90’s drama series. He swears that it was he who should have been casted in the lead role with Omotola Jalade in Mortal Inheritance in 96 and not Fred Amata. “He got there through nepotism! The Amatas controlled the industry back then.” He secretly dreams of a lead romantic role with Mercy Johnson. “Thunder will fire you before it happens” his wife had said when he mistakenly said it in his sleep one night. If you like, don’t get up and go to your civil service work.” There is also the neighbor Akunna. You will hear him say things like “this is a calamity of a democracy. Wastefulness, imbalance in every facet, and a mechanism for corruption humanity will see no greater. I don’t blame President Buhari. If I were him, I will not return from that London. Even the messiah cannot fix this nation. Light skinned and freckled in the face and in his forties, his only other problem is his wife. Recently he said to her “Serena Williams won a grand slam with eight months pregnancy! But two weeks after you have conceived another bastard I will not be able to enter my own house because of your nonsense squirming.” His four children were all dreadlocked and bore more than a passing semblance to Talabi the tailor who was dreadlocked since birth. Akunna did not hide the fact that he had been saving up for DNA tests sometime in the future. He also likes Arsenal. Perhaps losing was in his DNA.

And then there is Talabi. He is regarded as a hero in the neighborhood. When Alhaji Sirika would not give any of his resident tenants occupancy of the shops as he did not trust them with rent payment, Talabi led the cry of injustice for many years. When the Alhaji would not budge, he planted faeces in front of the four shops every night for one month until all the occupants of the shops fled. He took the best one for his tailoring business. The other three were occupied by Lukman the one eyed barber, Josiah the carpenter and the oni rice they called Mama Cowbell, all of whom were also resident at number 225. Other than Akunna’s wife, Talabi loved Chelsea FC, and being reigning champions, his feet barely touched the ground since the close season. The last neighbor I must mention at this point is Mr Cosmas. He occupies the second self contained and also does not share a bathroom and would naturally have our respect. But he is weird and says very uncomfortable things. Whenever a discussion veered towards religion, he always had something different to say. He famously said that Jesus did not die for our sins but was murdered for the truth he preached. He said we would all pay for everything we do as God cannot carry the sins of one child and put on the head of another. The less I say about Mr Cosmas the better. It’s just that he is not one to ignore.

I will continue my story next week. For now, I have to go and hustle. Cheers friends.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by yehmy(m): 7:42am On Mar 20, 2018
Centino:

you no know wetin happen?

thanks mods. i don forgive una grin

will squeeze in one update asap. but i dey work.

bros, 4th time my attention been brought to it. make i go write cheesy :
you better take your time and make it a long one to last the week
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by dc23(m): 1:58am On Mar 21, 2018
Stumbled on your thread today, enjoyed reading all the 20 something episodes in one sitting.

It now I must join the long wait. Pls make sure the next one is really long ooo
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Winna01(m): 6:27pm On Mar 21, 2018
Nice story centino. I'm waiting for the battle between 'efe and his dad vs mama Akunna.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by clems93(m): 7:31pm On Mar 21, 2018
I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS POST FEW DAYS AGO, AND I HAVE LOVED EVERY BIT OF IT. NICE ONE CENTINO
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by WHOcarex: 6:58am On Mar 22, 2018
cheesy
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Adesina12: 12:58pm On Mar 22, 2018
jagugu88li:
Now the games begin.........

There's that wired me rooting for Mama grin but, the good civilian in me is blocking everything.....

Get them Mama. Show them who who are

Is this jagugu?
So u now have a shrine and rooting for mama Akuna abi
When are you publishing your own story titled "EWU niGeRiA" grin
This guy centino almost kill person with commedy...I am sure he don share bed with SamSung before

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by emerich(m): 7:00pm On Mar 22, 2018
Baba Centimo I twale for you bro......
Ur sense of humour is so on point, so loving your originality and the way you infuse broken English into your story line....
One bottle of Origin and shine shine bobo for U, u made my day....
One love braa.......

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by maryamuwane: 1:09am On Mar 23, 2018
I finally caught up, its as if I made a pact not to comment until I'm done. you're intelligent and the world need more brain like yours Mr Writer. keep it up please

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by revontuli(f): 1:18am On Mar 23, 2018
I just discovered this yesterday surfing the literature section, got super hooked. Having a bit of difficulty with mama Akunna's pidgin but a damn fine story with awesome character work nonetheless. Keep up the good work! Are you going to publish it on Amazon?

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:59am On Mar 23, 2018
revontuli:
I just discovered this yesterday surfing the literature section, got super hooked. Having a bit of difficulty with mama Akunna's pidgin but a damn fine story with awesome character work nonetheless. Keep up the good work! Are you going to publish it on Amazon?
I guess that's the way it's intended to be. It's meant to be incomprehensible to some extent.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Helkayklassic(m): 5:32pm On Mar 23, 2018
I started reading when this hit front page. Now i am here. God bless you Centino, your talent has no equal. I'm enjoying Mr. Kingsley (Undertaker) so bad. He is my best character here.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nobody: 11:40pm On Mar 23, 2018
Adesina12:

Is this jagugu?
So u now have a shrine and rooting for mama Akuna abi
When are you publishing your own story titled "EWU niGeRiA" grin
This guy centino almost kill person with commedy...I am sure he don share bed with SamSung before
I've bern in this nairaland for 2years dear. Shrines? I sponsor anyone who wants to open 1. School fees, building, initiating and all grin

revontuli:
You havent had a problem until they write native language sentences.

I just skip and try to comprehend the entire passage. You will learn grin

3 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by indodon(m): 7:08am On Mar 24, 2018
comman update pls ser
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tsharp(m): 6:39am On Mar 25, 2018
Where is centino's post. Saw he posted and came. Hope it is not the deleted one above me
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Rollins777(m): 8:41am On Mar 25, 2018
All we are saying,we want more cetino
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by MichaelBlake40: 9:22am On Mar 25, 2018
Centino G'day it's been long o. I dey suspect say you don forget me o.Anyway sha i no blame you i neva show face for a long time now.
Preetiex hw fa u e don tey
Centino u dey try o these tori don dey get sweeter with each passing week.Thumbs up bro.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Gobek(m): 10:42am On Mar 25, 2018
centino, eyen eka mi, na becos of you I join nairaland oo. mbok, hala me wen food don done. cool I really appreciate your good works here

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tsharp(m): 10:52am On Mar 25, 2018
I can now confirm he has been banned
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by ekwuemeuzo(m): 12:20pm On Mar 25, 2018
tsharp:
I can now confirm he has been banned
why are the mods deleting his posts and the ban
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Cadec007(m): 11:34pm On Mar 25, 2018
ekwuemeuzo:
why are the mods deleting his posts and the ban
whats wrong with these mods now?

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 12:21pm On Mar 26, 2018
BACK AGAIN

“It's difficult sirs. It’s hard to take.” Ndifreke said.

“What is hard to take?” Mr Cosmas said.

“The thought. The thought of what may be going on in there.”

“What if nothing is going on in there?”

“Come on Mr Cosmas.”

“Just what if?”

“She shouldn’t be in there at all. There is enough space outside for them to meet. If he sent her to buy something, he should have just collected it from her at the door and let her go back to her mother’s room.”

“So because he invited her in, something is going on? What if he was just being courteous?”

“Achike, courteous. Tell me something else, sir.”

“Never assume young friend. You will live longer and have greater peace of mind if you heed this one advice.”

“Mr Cosmas…”

“Never assume the obvious is true – William Safire” Mr Kingsley said.

Ndifreke turned to him. His beer had just arrived. “But you offered me this,” he said. You know I’m right don’t you?”

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy – Benjamin Franklin.”

“For heaven's sake Mr Kingsley!”

“All right gentlemen. This is what I think,” Mr Cosmas began. “Meet with your girlfriend and talk to her. Chances are that what you saw was an illusion. I have been around long enough to know that in this kind of matter you can never be sure. That a man and a woman behind closed doors are always being intimate is never a foregone conclusion. There isn’t a man alive who hasn’t had experiences behind closed doors with a woman he would not share with his friends.”

“Maya is different. I do not always understand her.”

“Women are meant to be loved, not understood – Oscar Wilde” Mr Kingsley said.

“I love Maya, no doubt about that. But she can be spontaneous. I know how we started. It is not beyond the realms of reason that she could do this to hurt me. She is not happy with me at the moment and I know the kind of mother she has.”

“If she’s amazing she won’t be easy, if she is easy she won’t be amazing, if she is worth it, you won’t give up. If you give up, you’re not worthy…Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for – Bob Marley.” Mr Kingsley said.

Ndifreke thought about it. He drained his beer and stood up, staggered a bit and then smiled. “That wasn’t so bad,” he said. Thank you, sirs. You have been very helpful.” With a smile on his face and a new sense of assuredness he exited the bar.”

“It was a wise man who invented beer – Plato” Mr Kingsley said.

Mr Cosmas laughed and leaned back in his seat as both men watched each other.

“Now that it is just the two of us Kingsley, can you tell me what eats you.”

Kingsley took another sip of his beer and continued to study Cosmas: the closest thing to a friend he had. The one man he could not fool with his subterfuge.

“My brother na woman too o!” Kingsley said.

Cosmas smiled and said “Esther?”

“Na Esther. I no know who send me my guy.”

“What happened?”

“She want make I marry am. I dey crase?”

Now Cosmas had a good laugh. “It is at times like this that I wish I knew all the quotes you knew. Because I’m sure that somewhere in history, someone has said something you could borrow in your not so peculiar circumstance.”

“I don’t want to get married. I don’t have what it takes.”

“What does it take?”

“The most happy marriage I can imagine to myself would be the union of a deaf man to a blind woman – Samuel Taylor Coleridge.”

Cosmas laughed again and said, “I get it. You will do things she will see and not like. And she will nag and you don’t want to hear any of it.”

“Gbam! Na why I stop to talk to them o. I can’t stand it.”

“Is it just that you don’t want to marry Esther or you don’t want any woman at all for a wife?”

“I cannot be with one woman. I naturally get tired and want another, and it doesn’t matter if the woman is beautiful or ugly. I do not want to put myself in a situation where I would be called a cheat. I should have stayed away from her. But you know, I am a man.”

“What you have described actually is an animal, not a man; at best, simply a homo sapien.”

“Cosmas!”

“When you live by the urgings of the body, you are no different from an animal. You are made of the same matter as a dog or a goat or a donkey. And so when they say it is in a man’s nature to philander, they are right. You are wired like an animal so you will behave like them. But a human being is supposed to be different because we possess something the animal doesn’t which is the Spirit, which is linked with the Almighty. Only a person conscious of this is able to curb the excesses of the flesh.”

“So I must be born again? Like Esther?” Mr Kingsley said and scoffed.

“You will never hear me say that. But I will say seek, and ye shall find.”

Akunna strained to see the content of the newspaper. Mr Zubi readjusted it so he alone could read. The others had to contend with hearing the headlines from him.

“Dapchi girls returned. We did not pay ransom - FG” Mr Zubi said.

“Story for the gods!” shey na Alhaji Lie Lie talk am?”

“Before nko?”

“And they drove in and drove out unchallenged. Naija sha…”

“And they have been defeated and decimated and everything! Na their spirit wake up come dey kidnap the pipo?”

“Ask me.”

“Well, they won the war, but forgot that it is more important to win the peace.”

“They are not even fighting for it. It is arms they buy and arms money they are killing themselves over.”

“But peace costs a lot less!”

“If they had even used that Dasuki’s $2b to build schools and hospitals and factories in that region, most of those boko haram boys would have been employed and the sect would find no one to recruit. Are these things that difficult to comprehend?”

“Help me ask them.”

“Make una no deceive una sef. The Dapchi thing na drama for 2019. Someone wants people to see how much more efficient they are than the last administration. Last time out they went to Chibok and took girls and till today we are still looking for them. But in this government, girls are taken and five minutes later they are returned. Oya, go get your PVCs.”

“Hmmm na wa o.”

“Land use charge increased by four hundred percent in Lagos,” Mr Zubi said.

“They want to give Alhaji Sirika excuse to come and increase rent. Which kind wahala be this?”

“He already texted me that he is coming tomorrow.”

“Ah!”

“Why do they hate the poor so much ehn? Why can’t we be poor in peace? Who told them that all these tax regimes affect the rich? They simply find a way to put it on our heads!”

“That is why the Pentecostal pastors say it is a crime to be poor.”

“God punish them.”

“Please stop that I beg you.”

“Sports abeg.”

“Super Eagles defeat Poland in international friendly.”

“I tell you say we dey reach Quarter final of the next world cup. Who wan bet?”

“Go betnaija. Nobody get money to waste here.”

“Please, there’s something I received on whatsapp. That the British have sent the President’s death certificate. Dem say this man wey dey parade himself upandan na clone from Sudan?”

“Guy, you never hear say dem don sign anti hate speech and anti social media law and all those things. I swear when dem come, I go just carry dem come your room make dem carry you go. Dem go lock you trowey the key. If you like, no talk only wetin you know.”

“I have freedom of speech. This is not China! Abi you no see how this new man get stamina? Na so him be before? Didn’t British lawmaker Eric Joyce declare him dead?”

“Alakoba o! I beg you Talabi.”

“Cowards,” he said and walked away.

Ndifreke found her at the frontage when he returned. She saw him, turned quickly, and entered the corridor. He ran after her and caught up with her before she climbed the stairs.

“Maya my love.”

Her heart began to throb. He had never addressed her like that before. But she still needed to do shakara.

He held her hand and she snatched it back and said, “Don’t touch me!”

“Please my darling.”

“Who is your darling?”

“Maya let’s go to my room. People are watching.”

“I don’t care. I don’t want to talk to you.”

“Yes you do Maya. What were you doing in Achike’s room?”

“Is that what you want to talk to me about? Mtcheeeeew” She said and began up the stairs. He held her hand again and she stopped.

“No it is not that. It doesn’t matter. But please we need to talk.”

“What about?”

“You know what about,” he said and glanced at her tummy.

Ndifreke gave her hand a little squeeze, pleaded some more with his eyes, turned, went to his room. It was their routine. She would wait until there was no one on the corridor and then go in after him. He was not sure he had convinced her this time but he hoped he had. He was relieved when three minutes later he saw the doorknob turn.

She sat apart from him on a stool opposite the bed, with a centre table between them.

She was still as beautiful as always, but there were worry lines on her face.

“Your dress is fine. My favourite.”

“Thank you.”

The silence that followed was awkward. He did not know where to start from then finally he said, “Are you sure about it now?”

“Sure about what?”

“The em, pregnancy. I mean are you pregnant like seriously?

“I am pregnant, is that not serious enough?”

“Em why, I mean of course.”

Maya looked away.

“Alright. That’s fine.”

At that, she looked at him sharply. Then he smiled and said, “it’s okay”. Maya stood and rushed at him and he met her in an embrace. They stayed like that for a while and then pulled apart and sat back in the bed.

“Can I ask you something?” Ndifreke said.

“Yes my love”

“Promise you won’t be offended.”

“I won’t be, promise”

“Aren’t you afraid?”

“What about?”

“The future”

“We don’t know the future.”

“The immediate future we can easily predict.”

“No, I’m not.”

“Your mother will be difficult.”

“I know.”

“I squat here with my bro.”

“I know.”

“And you are not bothered?”

“I am not.”

“Why?”

“Because I love you.”

“Maya”

“Yes?”

“Sometimes love is not enough. We need money, a place of our own.”

“Do you want me to marry Achike then?”

Ndifreke started as she said that. “Is that what you were doing in his room?”

Maya looked away.

It began to come together for Ndifreke. Her mother was thinking what he was thinking. And the solution for her was Achike or any other man who would bear the burden.

“My love,” Maya said.

“Yes?” Ndifreke responded without looking at her.

“Do you or do you not want me?”

He did not need to think about it. He automatically said, “Yes I want you.”

“Then I am yours.”

She still did not get it. But he loved Maya. This was a challenge he was going to take head-on. He would go out there and fight to keep his woman. He would find a place of their own and find money to take care of her needs and that of their baby. He looked at her now and she was smiling at him. She could see the determination enter his eyes. She never doubted what he could achieve if he pushed himself some more.

“Can I ask you something?” she said.

“Ask dear.”

“Is it normal that I feel like making love now?”

That jolted Ndifreke but he let his face spread out in a grin.

“Em I guess there’s nothing wrong with that.”

“I thought when you are pregnant you stop feeling that way.”

“Evidently it is not so.”

“Will you help me with my zip then?”

“Why not.”

Outside, Mama Akunna smiled and stood up from the stool she sat on and entered the kitchen. It was time she made her first move on Maya.

TO BE CONTINUED.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by YINKS89(m): 1:07pm On Mar 26, 2018
Maya is bck ....... I love dat.. grin wink

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by mrmannothot: 1:12pm On Mar 26, 2018
welcome back Oga centino
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 26, 2018
Lemme jejely register my presence
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Mendy909: 2:07pm On Mar 26, 2018
Dis mama akunna na Ghost ooo, no b ordinary winch......Centino ride on i dey feel u

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:13pm On Mar 26, 2018
rawswag:
Lemme jejely register my presence

Welcome my guy. I no dey talk anyhow now o...all of una wey comment since 2 weeks now, I see una but I no fit talk.

1 Like 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.