Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1316633 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 4:35pm On May 16, 2018
eyesofpearls:
Ah! Sunday come quick ooo
Thanks Centino for the pleasant surprise! My appetite don wet well well for more!

grin grin grin
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Ann2012(f): 4:43pm On May 16, 2018
Thanks for the update Centino, make mama Akuna free Ndifreke destiny biko
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by YINKS89(m): 5:28pm On May 16, 2018
@ centino firstly, I want say tanks for d mid update u did well.... Back to d story, with ways on ground now, Josephine's prayers has just been answered I juz pity ma calabar friend.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by SunFlow(m): 8:41pm On May 16, 2018
Thanks Centino....
Let's vote Centino for the award of writer of the month.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tsharp(m): 10:21pm On May 16, 2018
SunFlow:
Thanks Centino....

Let's vote Centino for the award of writer of the month.

Yes please. Centino is pure joy. Getting better and better. Hopefully those who will come on Sunday will first check last page.

Maya mama Savage. And ndifreke is going to the wrong person for help.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Oroolorun(m): 11:25pm On May 16, 2018
Thanks Oga Centino, I just pity this Calabar. His aunties for village were pounding yam on his destine and Mama Kunna con join them add more yams.
God have mercy!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Kaycee9242(m): 12:12am On May 17, 2018
Na so, centimo just gave d calabar boy reason to go and bleep dt sexy nurse. Well done bros
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by indodon(m): 7:42am On May 17, 2018
centi baba I dey twalle
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tunjilomo(m): 10:21am On May 17, 2018
Am new to this story and I just read it to the last update,all I just want to say to the op Centino is I give you 3 correct gbosa.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by connkg(m): 1:29pm On May 17, 2018
I sense climax loading...
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Cmyname(m): 9:18pm On May 17, 2018
See updates wey I don miss!

Thanks Centino for the updates and mentions.

Ndifreke don suffer! With the new nurse already liking Ndifreke instead of free men like Achike & Lukeman, or even Wasiu & crew, lol; all I see is trouble for pretty Maya. I just hope Ndifreke no go break Maya heart.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Praizymicheal(f): 6:28pm On May 18, 2018
Centino i want more, more update
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Pinkfeet: 12:00am On May 19, 2018
thanks for the update
interesting

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by chara019: 6:52pm On May 19, 2018
finally caught up
I feel so bad postponing reading this when you initially started.
anyways,oga centino,abeg let Ndi and Maya just live their life away from the manipulations of that old hag,*cries* it's not fair....

mama Akunna should hang on pole.
E dey pain me as she just dey jam heads together

well done ,I love this.chai,your descriptions ,convos are on point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by mackzydon9(m): 7:45pm On May 19, 2018
When evil is your bro I feel for ndi
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by babalolaabayo(m): 12:56pm On May 20, 2018
centino ooo update!!!!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:18pm On May 20, 2018
tunjilomo, connkg, chara019, mackzydon9...welcome on board guys...

A HELPER

Ndifreke stepped out of his room and looked in both directions of the corridor. He thought about it again and wondered if he really wanted to walk up to the nurse’s door and knock. She was on the same floor as Maya, where he had just escaped with his tail between his legs. It was too soon to make a return to that floor, and if the nurse had been on night duty then she should be sleeping this morning and would not wish to be disturbed. So he would wait until she was up and about. In the meantime, he walked to Josiah’s shop where he met Josiah hard at work on a piece of furniture. Irikefe was there too, sawing wood.

“My oh my. My dear friend Irikefe in the carpenter’s shop” Ndifreke said, trying to sound cheerful.

Irikefe nodded towards Josiah and Ndifreke understood that he could not banter while at work. He cocked his head to one side and winked, and Ndifreke understood that to mean that he would meet him up in the backyard.

Josiah looked up and spoke: “Did you do as I said?”

“I will speak with the nurse when she wakes up. She was on night duty.”

Josiah nodded and continued with his work.

The compound was agog as usual. There was no school today so the children were in full voice. People also continued to stream in and out of number 225. Ndifreke noticed that one of the locked rooms of the ground floor was being vacated. Mama Cowbell in the next shop opened her cooler of stew and the smell wafted through and Ndifreke’s could hear the loud expectations of his intestines. He swallowed and marched towards the backyard. Irikefe joined him after five minutes.

“Guy, what are you doing in the shop this morning?” Ndifreke teased.

“Working na.”

“You finally decided to be a carpenter?”

“Bros how else would my father let me stay under his roof?”

“Why did you come back?”

“I missed you guys, to be honest. And that yahoo life. Not sure it is for me.”

“Hallelujah!”

“Having stayed there with those guys for those weeks, I am having a rethink.”

“Thank God for some sense.”

“And besides, the way they are raiding yahoo boys now, even the guys there spoke about it. They also plan to go lowkey for a while.”

“Take this thing seriously my man. You never know where it can take you. I am considering learning a trade too or even riding keke if I can find one. I need to survive.”

“I understand bros Freke. I saw what happened this morning.”

Ndifreke looked away.

“Why did you keep quiet and let that woman talk to you like that, ehn? Why didn’t you yab her back? How is she better than you? Is she not opening her old yansh for Achike? Why didn’t you say that?”

“She did not impregnate Achike Irikefe. And she can fend for herself. She was right.”

Irikefe nodded and appeared to be deep in thought. “So you want to go and be driving keke to be able to fend for Maya? Upon all the school wey you go?”

“I will not be the first neither will I be the last graduate that will be doing an odd job in this country. When you are poor, you are not entitled to any pride or ego.”

“God forbid.”

“If you know anyone that has a keke and needs a driver let me know. I will go to the park in the evening and ask around. Here, this is 4k something,” He said handing the notes to Irikefe. “All the money I have. I need to pass it to Maya. After that, I don’t know what else to do.”

“Bros this is bad o. And Yusuf Buhari is riding a multi-million naira power bike. You see why I been wan do yahoo?”

“It is his luck. I have no time to worry about anyone else. Right now I have to help Maya through the pregnancy. And to have any claim to the baby, I need to marry her, or at least do a proper introduction.”

“And you can’t afford that.”

“I can’t even tell my parents.”

“Chai bros.”

“Worst still, I’m very weak and listless. For some nights now I haven’t slept. Something has been pressing me. And I keep having this recurring dream of being tied to a pole. I wake up and I don’t feel like living anymore. Maya too complained about being pressed.”

“And my oga Josiah too!” Irikefe added. So she has started again?” Irikefe said.

“Who has started?” Ndifreke said and that jolted Irikefe.

“Ehn, no one. I mean, it has started again.”

Irikefe was not looking Ndifreke in the eyes.

“Do you know something I should know Irikefe?”

“Err, nothing bros. I mean, I am just surprised that thing is still happening.”

“Tell me.”

“There is nothing to tell bros.”

“You are lying.”

“Alright bros. There is something but I don’t know if I should tell you.”

“Tell me Irikefe.”

Irikefe thought about it. He knew his father would not be happy with him if he revealed what he knew. But how could he remain quiet and let that old witch do as she pleased? It was bad enough that they were poor in the compound, but to be molested with witchcraft on top of that!”

“I am waiting.” Ndifreke said.

“Okay, later in the evening. I have to get back to work now. You know Josiah, he will just go to my father and I don’t want the old man to konk my head this early morning.”

“Alright, later then.”

“And for the record, I am still not cut out for this carpentry nonsense. I will still find a way to make it. Bet me."

“I have heard. First, tell me what you are keeping from me.”

Ndifreke was surprised to see Nurse Josephine when he returned from the backyard. She was returning from Mama Cowbell’s shop. He noticed her twisting movement as she walked back with a covered plate of food.

“I wanted to see you, nurse,” Ndifreke said. But I didn’t want to disturb. I thought you would be resting having been on night duty.”

“Yes I should be but I couldn’t sleep on an empty stomach.”

“Okay, I get.”

Ndifreke scratched his head. He did not know where to start.

“You want to talk about your girlfriend right?”

“Err, yes. I figured you would know how to help. She needs a doctor and antenatal.”

“Indeed she does.”

“Come with me.” She said.

Ndifreke quickly looked around. He saw that one or two persons were looking at them.

“Bros. I am not going to stand here for my food to get cold. Come.”

She turned and started swinging towards her room.

Ndifreke looked around again and took a few steps after her and said “Err, maybe you should go and finish your food first. I shouldn’t disturb you now, really.”

Josephine turned and said to him firmly “Bros, I said come with me.”

Ndifreke moved gingerly and made sure to keep his eyes away from her swaying hips. He followed her up the stairs and crossed his fingers and prayed no member of Maya’s family saw her entering the nurse’s room.

Nurse Josephine’s room was simple and tidy. She had a bed, a chair and a table, and a food locker in one corner like everyone else, and a wardrobe. The floor of the room was tiled. She must have had that done herself, as Ndifreke knew Alhaji Sirika would not do tile the floor for any tenant. No television or radio set was visible but he saw an iPad on the bed. The room had a fresh lavender smell and it comforted him somewhat that she left the door open and neighbors were going up and down the corridor.

She offered him the only seat and sat on the bed and placed her food on the centre table. “I’m coming,” she said and went out and returned after two minutes.

She sat on her bed and crossed her legs and said, “You better relax. The last thing on your mind should be what people will say if they saw you here. You have enough problems already and you need advice.”

“Yes, I do, nurse.”

“By the way I am Josephine.”

“I know…I mean I am Ndifreke” he said and extended a hand. She took the hand in a surprisingly firm handshake.

“I am a midwife so there’s no better person to talk to.”

“Ok thanks, nurse.”

“I heard everything that woman said this morning.”

“Everybody heard, I suppose.”

“Is it true your girlfriend hasn’t been to the hospital at all?”

“Yes, nurse. I didn’t know what to do.”

“How far gone is she?”

“Fourteen weeks, I think.”

“She needs to be screened and tested for risk factors that can be detected early, prophylaxis for malaria initiated and be placed on blood boosters. As soon as I saw her, I thought she needed to be screened and treated for anaemia.”

“Jesus.”

“What’s that?”

“She has anaemia?”

“The screening is routine. It’s the first thing they will do at antenatal. But with experience, I can tell looking at her that she would need treatment. She is too pale. It’s common in pregnancy.”

“Oh, my God.”

“You have to have it done at once Ndifreke.”

“I wanted her to go to the primary health center where I heard the government is offering free antenatal care.”

“It doesn’t cost that much at our hospital. I don’t trust the government hospitals. The queue will be too long and you will need to know someone to be attended to quickly.”

“How much will it cost at your hospital?”

“You register with ₦12,500. Then pay ₦7,500 for laboratory tests. That covers the entire antenatal period plus the drugs.”

“Twenty thousand naira!”

“Yes, twenty thousand naira.”

Ndifreke stood up. There was alarm in his eyes.

“Sit down.” Nurse Josephine said.

“I don’t have that kind of money.”

“I know.”

“You know?”

“I heard everything that was said this morning.”

“What will I do nurse? I don’t want anything to happen to Maya.”

“Nothing will happen to Maya,” Nurse Josephine said.

Just then, someone put a hand through the room curtain and knocked the door.”

“Come in,” Josephine said.

A girl of about ten walked in with another plate of food, covered like the one the nurse brought earlier.

“I don’t want you looking at me while I am eating so I got some for you. You are my guest.”

“Thank you, nurse, but I am not hungry.”

She uncovered the two plates. They were identical. Rice and beans with plantain. Beef, shaki, and pomo. Ndifreke swallowed.

“Eat.” Nurse Josephine said.

“How can I eat nurse?”

“Eat. I will help you.”

“How?”

“I am in charge of antenatal in my hospital.”

“But…”

“Eat.”

Ndifreke looked at the plate of food. He could not remember the last time he had anything so lavish.

“Will you like some juice or water?”

He thought about it for a beat and then said: “Water please.”

Irikefe entered the room and sat facing his father.

“Papa.”

“Yes?”

“It looks like she has started again.”

“Who?”

“The winch.”

“Oh.”

“People are saying they were pressed at night and they have scratches on their body. It stopped but it has started again.”

“So what you want make I do?”

“Papa we know who is responsible.”

“And so?”

“Let us talk. Now there is a council of elders. We should go and table it there.”

“No.”

“But why?”

“We cannot prove it.”

“What other proof do we need? We have seen her disappear in this compound. We have seen her preempt every action against her. We have seen her do things no ordinary person can do.”

“We also see her convince police that come to arrest am that the rest of us foolish and heartless. She go fool us again.”

“Ooooh papa!”

“Now look here. I no allow you come back here to come make trouble or cause me trouble. If you no want to stay, you fit go back to where you come from.”

Papa Efe stood up, went over to his travel bag, and brought out two necklaces. They were made of thick black thread and each had two cowry charm pendants.

“Take one wear for your neck all the time. No ever remove am. I go wear the other one.”

“Why papa?”

“Winch no dey forgive. Dem no dey forget. It will protect us.”

“So we go just protect ourselves leave de woman to dey do wetin she like?”

“For now, yes.”

“Ok papa” Irikefe said.

But he had other plans.

TO BE CONTINUED.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by YINKS89(m): 2:54pm On May 20, 2018
M sure nurse won't juz do DAT for free..... It has to kom wife a price. Wld find out soon.. Thumbs up bro
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tunjilomo(m): 3:14pm On May 20, 2018
Irikefe,u better melo for now.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eyesofpearls(f): 4:05pm On May 20, 2018
You too much man!

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by SunFlow(m): 5:01pm On May 20, 2018
If you love what Centino is doing here, go and vote him for writer of the month

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Ann2012(f): 5:55pm On May 20, 2018
Tnx Centino

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tunjilomo(m): 7:27pm On May 20, 2018
Tnx Centino just saw your Mention now.
So what's the update schedule,anyone who can help with that.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by seunadeolu(m): 8:17pm On May 20, 2018
Oga Centino this your 7 days suspense is crippling, but we understand. Nice work bro
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by MhizSuccess(f): 8:24pm On May 20, 2018
Thanks Centino. You are just too much

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by yehmy(m): 8:44pm On May 20, 2018
MhizSuccess:
Thanks Centino. You are just too much
1 like 4 you.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 9:04pm On May 20, 2018
tunjilomo:
Tnx Centino just saw your Mention now.
So what's the update schedule,anyone who can help with that.

On Sundays mainly. But sometimes I do midweek. Updated 4 times in the past fortnight.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 9:05pm On May 20, 2018
seunadeolu:
Oga Centino this your 7 days suspense is crippling, but we understand. Nice work bro

That means you've been missing my midweek updates. At least I did last week.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 9:08pm On May 20, 2018
Ann2012, SunFlow (Thanks for the campaign man), eyesofpearls kiss, YINKS89, MhizSuccess and yehmy...you guys rock wink

4 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by seunadeolu(m): 9:31pm On May 20, 2018
Really? I didn't check for it. Anyway keep up the good job bro
Centino:

That means you've been missing my midweek updates. At least I did last week.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by MhizSuccess(f): 10:01pm On May 20, 2018
yehmy:
1 like 4 you.
cheesy
yehmy:
1 like 4 you.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by FreshestManny(m): 10:46pm On May 20, 2018
Wow Centino I'm so loving this story. Matured, well structured, suspense filled, and very funny.

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.