Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,749 members, 7,802,292 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1316766 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tsharp(m): 8:36pm On May 25, 2018
Been watching quietly since yesterday. My respect for you centino has reached new highs. The lady in the end acknowledged what a great work you have put up here and would encourage us to donate something to you. I always thought you were a class higher but reading your answer yesterday I now understand more. Some of us will pay to continue to enjoy dis as it is better than a lot of the published works out there. As you have given us this and continue to serve us afresh weekly for free, I say God bless you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by chijioke17(m): 8:46pm On May 25, 2018
Centino:

No na. You dey try sef. You belong to a second category - semi-ghost grin like my main men honourable356 and chijioke17 grin
Lol
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by useed(m): 9:52pm On May 25, 2018
Nice one centino...I want to be like you when I grow up...I am one of the ghost readers you put a smile to his face when you post your updates ....more grace man
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by smartgenius10(m): 10:00pm On May 25, 2018
Centino, nice work you got yourself doing here.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by donielord(m): 11:26pm On May 25, 2018
i've been reading for days now and finally i caught up. So me too will start waiting for updates now broda centino whedone sir, i Twale you you are a very good writer. I swear!!!! You are writing about the real ghetto CIVILIAN BARACKS nice one Bro
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by seun9303: 2:53am On May 26, 2018
centino baba... 3 gbosas for you!!!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by GenieXYZ: 2:59am On May 26, 2018
After many years on ghost mode I'm happy to make my appearance on this incredible thriller. Centino Baba, allow me to pay my respects, you're indeed a magnificent storyteller, a quintessential writer, and a fantastic entertainer. I lack words to describe how I feel about your amazing creativity.

Bless up bro, more ink to your biro. And please do give me a mention in your next update to officially welcome me as I grab my front row seat with the rest of Katakata Addicts.

#Katakata is my drug and Centino is my supplier. Lolz.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by honourable356(m): 1:02pm On May 26, 2018
I follow this extraordinary humorous story very carefully and critically but doesn't seem to have the required time to pen my observation and appreciate the writer amusing effort to entertain the audience and lecture majority who knows their onions indirectly.

I found myself laughing every now and then but has no way or chance to applauds the writer except today...

Centino Hehe...
I have asked myself multiple times.. "who is this centino This is the first story to his name so far and he more than deliver...Yes,he didnt disappoint. The last time i comment of this thread was when he updated something spectacular....I was inexplicably impressed that i demand immediately for his contact..unfortunately,the young man did not honour my request..(he laughs..)

However....

Instead of writing eulogies bases on accurate facts,i rather just say what might be on everyone lip...

YOUR LITERACY PROWESS IS NO LONGER QUESTIONABLE...YOU ARE NOT THERE YET,BUT WITH PERSISTENCE AND DETERMINATION,YOU WILL SURELY UNARGUABLY GET THERE.!

I have been mentioned many tines but didn't get the notification until i clicked on the notification bar last night. I never left nor ignore anyone permanently.

Ladies and gents...Have a great weekend!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 6:49pm On May 26, 2018
tsharp:
Been watching quietly since yesterday. My respect for you centino has reached new highs. The lady in the end acknowledged what a great work you have put up here and would encourage us to donate something to you. I always thought you were a class higher but reading your answer yesterday I now understand more. Some of us will pay to continue to enjoy dis as it is better than a lot of the published works out there. As you have given us this and continue to serve us afresh weekly for free, I say God bless you.

Sent you an email wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 6:51pm On May 26, 2018
useed:
Nice one centino...I want to be like you when I grow up...I am one of the ghost readers you put a smile to his face when you post your updates ....more grace man

Welcome on board man. Your appearance is appreciated. wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 6:54pm On May 26, 2018
smartgenius10:
Centino, nice work you got yourself doing here.

Thank you.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 6:55pm On May 26, 2018
donielord:
i've been reading for days now and finally i caught up.
So me too will start waiting for updates now
broda centino whedone sir, i Twale you
you are a very good writer. I swear!!!!
You are writing about the real ghetto CIVILIAN BARACKS
nice one Bro

No worry update go dey come. Thanks for the encouragement. wink

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 6:56pm On May 26, 2018
seun9303:
centino baba... 3 gbosas for you!!!

Ose! grin

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 7:00pm On May 26, 2018
GenieXYZ:
After many years on ghost mode I'm happy to make my appearance on this incredible thriller. Centino Baba, allow me to pay my respects, you're indeed a magnificent storyteller, a quintessential writer, and a fantastic entertainer. I lack words to describe how I feel about your amazing creativity.

Bless up bro, more ink to your biro. And please do give me a mention in your next update to officially welcome me as I grab my front row seat with the rest of Katakata Addicts.

#Katakata is my drug and Centino is my supplier. Lolz.

This gladdens me so so much. Welcome to Nairaland and my thread. I'm honoured. Glad you like my work man, and your words are humbling. Welcome on board.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 7:02pm On May 26, 2018
honourable356:
I follow this extraordinary humorous story very carefully and critically but doesn't seem to have the required time to pen my observation and appreciate the writer amusing effort to entertain the audience and lecture majority who knows their onions indirectly.

I found myself laughing every now and then but has no way or chance to applauds the writer except today...

Centino Hehe...
I have asked myself multiple times.. "who is this centino This is the first story to his name so far and he more than deliver...Yes,he didnt disappoint. The last time i comment of this thread was when he updated something spectacular....I was inexplicably impressed that i demand immediately for his contact..unfortunately,the young man did not honour my request..(he laughs..)

However....

Instead of writing eulogies bases on accurate facts,i rather just say what might be on everyone lip...

YOUR LITERACY PROWESS IS NO LONGER QUESTIONABLE...YOU ARE NOT THERE YET,BUT WITH PERSISTENCE AND DETERMINATION,YOU WILL SURELY UNARGUABLY GET THERE.!

I have been mentioned many tines but didn't get the notification until i clicked on the notification bar last night. I never left nor ignore anyone permanently.

Ladies and gents...Have a great weekend!

Thought I sent you an email that time. Done so now wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by honourable356(m): 7:14pm On May 26, 2018
Centino:

Thought I sent you an email that time. Done so now wink
Didnt see any back then.
I will check for the new one you sent.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by viciati(m): 9:01pm On May 26, 2018
liverpool
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Leovibes(m): 10:12pm On May 26, 2018
Nice story man
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by FatherJP(m): 7:40am On May 27, 2018
Centino Baba, God bless you. I don join queue like this oo.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by donielord(m): 7:46am On May 27, 2018
happi sunday ooooo
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:49am On May 27, 2018
Centino:

Hi Evathyst.

Thanks for the critique and appreciation. First thing I should do is tell you about myself. I will do that by reproducing here something I wrote on a thread by EvaJael - one of the writers I really like here.

“If I want to read a novel, I write one” – Benjamin Disreali

I’m Centino. Relatively new here. The above quote is why I write. I have no heroes of the letter; I follow in the footsteps of none. I am my own inspiration. I got bored stiff with “literature” and began to fancy myself to do a good enough job for me. I reckoned if I write my kind of book, surely I would have likeminded people who will appreciate my style. I do not like fluff. If something happened in the afternoon, tell me what happened. I don’t see the point of describing the sun. How the environment laughed because the yellowish red hue of the sun tantalized the roofs. What’s that? I know what an afternoon looks like! I like a story. A good plot. Who likes who? Who hates who? Who is after who? Who fvcked who? The human experience robust and I just want to hear of it. From every perspective. And for goodness sake go straight to the point! If an adverb will drive home a point, I will use an adverb. If a simile sounds silly, I cut it out. If you are obsessed with words and you want to w*nk to them go and read a poem. Rules? They are not for me. I will write my own the way I want to. “Better to write for yourself and have no public, than write for the public and have no self” – Cyril Conolly. Word.

“The first thing a writer has to do is find another source of income… “Ellen Gilchrist.

And I will add, then you can experience true freedom. I will not write about an asylum seeking PHD holder who ends up as a cab driver in New York so that I can be appreciated internationally. I will not carry my Katakata Street to okada books and sell 10 copies in one year so that I can get something for my troubles. I will not read “how to be a successful author” and burn myself out trying to sound like someone else. If you want to be the next Chinua Achebe, sorry you came 60 years late. So I make sure I am not hungry. If the money comes, I want it on my own terms. So I write when I want to write, if I want to write, how I want to write. The only people I want to kill are the ghost readers on nairaland. Come on guys…Tell a brother and a sister that s/he is trying. You don’t know how far that can go. You think this is easy? Try it.

Finally. Most tellingly… “One of the things a writer is for is to say the unsayable, speak the unspeakable and ask difficult questions” – Salman Rushdie

At Easter I wrote a chapter I called Food for thought. In it I asked why anyone thinks Jesus whose flesh was dust like mine and yours would ascend to heaven where there is no such consistency. Do you think God is in the business of impressing people? Do you think creating heaven and earth and trying to save the souls of man is a circus? (Didn’t put it quite like that but you get my drift…). The result? I got the fewest likes that week. And guess what? It doesn’t matter. I will say it. I am a writer.

Aunty EvaJael. That is me o.

Having said that, you can now bundle over here and see what I do for nairaland mostly on Sundays. Many thanks.
[i][/i]

Now to those 3 questions.

1. I don't know why mama Akunna became what she became o. Na so I see am. I suppose it is because evil is irrational. I have known real life witches and seen confessions. Sister, they always have no clue why they have become what they have become.

2. I was tempted to go that route but I do not want to take the story away from the compound yet. Criminals don't always get arrested at any rate. Some vanish into thin air even in real life. Let's just say Talabi is still on the run. Don't be surprised to see him again along the like *wink*

3. Oh yeah. It centers on Ndifreke and his pregnant girlfriend for now. But she go born the pikin one day na...the plan has always been for this story to go on in perpetuity. As KpagoGIN noted, I also try to infuse current goings on and so for as long as things are still happening in Naija, inhabitants of 225 Katakata Street will still be there to talk about these things. The original idea was to get a group of common people from whose perspective we can view our polity. But the thing got away from me. Anyhow sha, I go just continue dey rough am dey go. I pray people continue to have interest.

Ultimately it's pure fun for me. If I can contribute a little laughter and enlightenment people really appreciate, I'm happy. I know the money will come. My only problem na ghost readers undecided
The man has spoken and he did so soo freaking eloquently.... I was wondering when the story might come to an end and I was scared of the fact that I may never find sth like this to Read after it is done but alas... You broke the good news... IT IS NEVER ENDING SO LONG AS THINGS STILL HAPPEN IN NIGERIA.. I love your mindset. In as much as I feel you should be rewarded for your hard work, it still is an honorable thing to set your priorities right and also strive to entertain people for free and at no cost whatsoever. For your fear of people losing interest... Trust me on this one bro.... Your fans here are die hard and as long as you continue to write this piece, we will continue to come back here to read and cheer and beg for more updates week after week. Oh... Lest forget, I was one of those who left a like on the Easter food for thought.... I like a person who isn't confined to one line of thought and remains trapped in the confines of a particular ideology. Our brains were not developed above all other creatures only to be imprisoned by belief. I dare say that the things you write on the pages of Katakana street always strike creative arguments in my mind between myself and what I have always known.... I admire your courage to do this not for money, likes or fame but for yourself and possibly for others of like mind of which I am one.

I know you've always thought INDUSTRIALFAN was an agbero and selfish prick but then....... No be my fault..... No one can never get enough of a good piece....
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by koligns: 9:50am On May 27, 2018
[sup][/sup]centino I can't wait for next update oooo, I just dey pray make Sunday come quick quick ��
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 10:14am On May 27, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
The man has spoken and he did so soo freaking eloquently.... I was wondering when the story might come to an end and I was scared of the fact that I may never find sth like this to Read after it is done but alas... You broke the good news... IT IS NEVER ENDING SO LONG AS THINGS STILL HAPPEN IN NIGERIA.. I love your mindset. In as much as I feel you should be rewarded for your hard work, it still is an honorable thing to set your priorities right and also strive to entertain people for free and at no cost whatsoever. For your fear of people losing interest... Trust me on this one bro.... Your fans here are die hard and as long as you continue to write this piece, we will continue to come back here to read and cheer and beg for more updates week after week. Oh... Lest forget, I was one of those who left a like on the Easter food for thought.... I like a person who isn't confined to one line of thought and remains trapped in the confines of a particular ideology. Our brains were not developed above all other creatures only to be imprisoned by belief. I dare say that the things you write on the pages of Katakana street always strike creative arguments in my mind between myself and what I have always known.... I admire your courage to do this not for money, likes or fame but for yourself and possibly for others of like mind of which I am one.

I know you've always thought INDUSTRIALFAN was an agbero and selfish prick but then....... No be my fault..... No one can never get enough of a good piece....

Woah man!

All I can say is thanks.

Me, think you're a selfish prick, of course not man!

You give one of the loudest cheers here and I never lose sight of that wink

Time to post...See you around.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 10:20am On May 27, 2018
Centino:

Woah man!

All I can say is thanks.

Me, think you're a selfish prick, of course not man!

You give one of the loudest cheers here and I never lose sight of that wink

Time to post...See you around.
aii bruh.... We de wait.... A time is coming when I'll swell your pocket small..
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by beetown(m): 10:21am On May 27, 2018
-
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by beetown(m): 10:21am On May 27, 2018
Centino my man.
happy Sunday bruv
oya drop it like it's hot.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 10:26am On May 27, 2018
RESISTANCE

Ndifreke fell silent as Irikefe finished his exposé.

“What do you think bros?”

“I’m speechless. I’m sure you can understand that.”

“Yes. It is not such an easy thing to digest I know.”

“So you left the compound because of that?”

“It was my father. When he saw that I was mocking the witch, he feared I would no longer be safe.”

“Then he sent you away.”

“He told me to go home to his family house in Warri. That was not going to happen.”

“Did he know you were still around here?”

“No. If you didn’t know, how would he have known? He knew of course that I did not arrive in Warri after he put me on a bus that morning. I texted him and told him I had gone somewhere else to put his mind at rest.”

“And when you returned. How did he feel?”

“Well, a parent will be happy to have his child back I suppose. Even the prodigal son was welcomed hehe. It was easy because we thought the woman had died.”

“You didn’t have any doubts?”

“We did. We discussed it the night I returned. My father just said that we must remember that she was not immortal. Maybe she finally met her waterloo. Bros, as you all said, she was hauled into an ambulance and everyone saw it.”

“True. I saw it too.”

“Give me a day or two to ask around and know how to proceed. We have to do something.”

“I’m not sure I want to go to any jazz man.”

“What are you saying bros?”

“I do not want to dabble into anything diabolical.”

“So it is the pressing that they are pressing you every night that is not diabolical?”

“Two wrongs do not make a right.”

“There is nothing wrong here bros. It is self defence! Somebody turns herself into breeze and messes with you every night while you sleep. Finding a solution to the problem is not diabolical.”

“The jazz men, do they know God? Only Jesus can save.”

“Bros abeg abeg abeg.”

Ndifreke shrugged and said, “You can say that because your people do it all the time. You even have witchcraft antidotes in your house.”

Irikefe opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. He saw a new defiance in Ndifreke that worried him.

There was no light that evening so tenants were out with their stools and mats to the frontage to receive fresh air before retiring to bed. As always, they had broken into groups according to their interests and were discussing loudly. The loudest group had Josiah, Mr Cosmas and Mr Zubi and his wife also. She was raving about Linda Ikeji’s pregnancy.

“I don’t want to miss that Irikefe. It’s been long I heard Mama Willy-willy talk.”

“What we are discussing is important bros. For your own good, we have to do something.”

“You may be right. But it doesn’t have to be us doing something. How about we discuss it with the men? Or at the council of elders even. I’m sure I’m not the only one being pressed in this compound.”

“Then my father will know I told you.”

“And so?”

“He asked me not to talk. That we can’t prove it.”

“Now that’s a wise man.”

“Bros you’re making a mistake.”

“I have enough problems Irikefe. You know that. Going to a juju man over a witch when I have a pregnant girlfriend I cannot provide for is the sort of thing you see on Africa magic and wonder.”

“Then let’s go to a prophet.”

Ndifreke sighed and looked around.

“Thanks for your help my friend. But I’ll suggest you listen to your dad.”

Irikefe held his arm as he was about to walk away.

“Please don’t tell anyone.”

“Of course I won’t. How can I prove it? I’m with your dad on this one.”

“That woman Kemi Olunloyo is right. Linda is no role model.” Mrs Zubi was saying.

“Who has she helped? Who else is blogging and living in a banana Island mansion? Is it not the same whizkid and Rita Dominic they all write about?”

“Wizkid said her private part is smelling. And someone went and put his thing inside and got her pregnant, inyama!”

“That is the only one you will hear.”

“That made headlines. Whenever I see sardine that is what I remember.”

“May God help you.”

“But the Kemi woman, they should have just let her rot in jail. The woman just come out come dey cause commotion.”

“Me I don’t like the woman o, but Linda deserves it. Do you know how many people her gossip has destroyed? Someone needed to give her a taste of her own medicine.”

“But what are we to believe? First, she said the pregnancy was fake, that she is wearing prosthetics like Beyonce wore for her first baby. Now she is saying she is an abandoned baby mama. That the man that got her pregnant is one errand boy for Otedola and Dangote who will have nothing to do with her.”

“Whatever they like let them say about her. It is Karma. I’m sure even she herself knew that she wasn’t getting away lightly with this.”

‘Plus say, she dey preach celibacy.”

“Hmmm.”

Josiah turned to Mr Zubi and said “But what is Obasanjo’s own sef? He has been all over the place campaigning against Buhari. The man no dey tire?”

“My brother. The same person in helping to remove Jonathan said that Buhari was the messiah. I think he has not recovered from his failed third term bid. That man wanted to be our Mugabe. He fansies himself a king.”

“Or King maker sef.”

“But Buhari no try o. Imagine praising Abacha in his clap back to Obasanjo. Abacha!”

“Mr Anticorruption praising the most corrupt ruler after Mobutu Sese Seko. And that for building roads. Have you ever heard such nonsense before?”

“Don’t be fooled. They know what they are doing. One of these days you will see them eating and dancing together at a function. Don’t forget they are both soldiers. I no dey carry politicians wahala for head again.”

“True talk my brother.”

Ndifreke left that company and went to his room. He was jarred by Irikefe’s revelation, much more than he was willing to show. One thing he was sure about was that he was not going to forget his education all of a sudden because of this. There was no way he was going to go and kneel before an illiterate native doctor or a so-called prophet and have them mess with his destiny over something he did not understand. He got to his room and closed the door. He was a Christian and he believed in the saving power of Jesus Christ. He knew he had not acquitted himself quite well before his God, but he also knew the admonition “call upon me in the time of trouble and I will answer you”. So he knelt down and prayed. Another thought struck him. He could use anointing oil and anoint himself before he slept. Only he did not have any. He thought a while and remembered Sister Esther. So he went out to find her. He met her carrying two plates of food from her under staircase kitchen into her room.

“Good evening Sister Esther.”

“Good evening Ndifreke” She said and hurried into her room. She did not shut the door because there was no light. They generally left their room doors open until they were about to go to bed in this situation.

Sister Esther placed the two plates of food on the small table and waited for the boy to pass but he did not. He seemed to be lurking around her door. What is this one again, she thought. She had been happy today. She made beans and plantain, which was Kingsley’s favourite, and just as she had hoped, when he was passing he made the comment she expected to hear - “He who eats alone, dies alone – Dina Meleye”

Esther knew of course that that was not a Dina Meleye saying. It was the closest thing to a joke Kingsley uttered. Whenever he said that he would attribute it to whichever politician was trending nationally at that point in time, and the message was always clear. He would sneak in after a while for the food, and then maybe, just maybe…and the last thing she wanted was Ndifreke or anyone else coming around at that time for God knows what.

“Are you there Ndifreke?”

“Yes Sister. Sorry to disturb but I needed something.”

Sister Esther put her head through the curtain and said “Yes?”

“Erm sister, I want some anointing oil.”

At that, sister Esther straightened and stepped out of the room to face him. It was dark in the corridor, but she could make him out all right.

“You want what?”

“Some anointing oil, Sister.”

Sister Esther did not want to ask him what he needed the anointing oil for. But she recognized that this was a soul that was ripe for harvesting for the Lord. What she should do now was to counsel him and give him the good news of salvation and even lead him to Christ. But then, she had just made dinner with the intention of being with a man. And Kingsley she knew would show up at any moment. Guilt, like she had never felt before gripped her. But she still found the presence of mind to go back inside, grab a small bottle, return and hand it to him.

“Whatever it is our God is faithful and just. Take.”

As he stretched out his hand sister Esther held it. “Father, whatever it is that may trouble thy son, as he has acknowledged your power and has come to you, do not forsake him. Meet him at the point of his need, in Jesus name.”

And they both said “Amen.”

“So we should still go to him?”

“Yes.”

“Even when he has been warned?"

“What can he do? He went to bed hungry. He does not even have the energy to swat a mosquito.”

He chuckled and said “But Irikefe. How long are we going to wait for him to make a mistake?”

“He has already made the mistake.”

“Which is?”

“Talking to Ndifreke about me. He thinks he is smarter than his father.”

“How do we use that?”

“Now he has been disobedient. He loses his father’s protection. His spirit is ruffled because deep down he knows his father may be right. But he is headstrong and has now played into my hands that way. I will now make my move.”

“We go to his room?”

“No. I will go to the village. I will stay in the forest for three days and obtain what I need to deal with him.”

“Wow! Can I come?”

“Of course, am I not your only available parent? Who will I leave you here for?”

“Thank you.”

“Our people also need to see Akunna’s real child.”

“Okay.”

“They know me in the village so the wrong people will not come close. That way we will be able to go and come as we like.”

“I love this life.”

“But why don’t we just fly there and come back?”

“What I want to do to Irikefe is physical. I will be attacking him in the flesh. What we need are material things.”

“Okay.”

“I will have the soul incarnate in Maya before we leave. Now that she wants to start going to antenatal, she may go and interact with other pregnant women who may help her close the door to us.”

“Oh I see. When are you doing this?”

“In a day or two.”

“Okay. So tonight we go to Ndifreke.”

“Yes. Now.”

So they held hands and thought about Ndifreke and immediately they appeared in his room.

They saw an unusual glimmer of light and a small wall around him where he lay. She turned to him and said, “Our man prepared for us.”

“Please let’s go back. I don’t want what happened before to happen.”

She chuckled and said, “Let's see how prepared he is.”

Ndifreke felt a presence in the room. He tried to lift his arms but they were heavy. He wanted to open his mouth but nothing came out. Immediately sweat broke out from his body. She was here! How did she enter when he had prayed!

“He is afraid,” she said to her companion. “Can you see how his fear dimmed the light and broke the small wall around him?”

“Yes.”

“All we needed to do was stop the air around him. It is not always so easy. But he is one with no resistance at all. For some others, you may need to do more.”

“I understand.”

“Get him.”

TO BE CONTINUED.

25 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Ann2012(f): 11:11am On May 27, 2018
Thanks for the update
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:12am On May 27, 2018
Centino:
RESISTANCE

Ndifreke fell silent as Irikefe finished his exposé.

“What do you think bros?”

“I’m speechless. I’m sure you can understand that.”

“Yes. It is not such an easy thing to digest I know.”

“So you left the compound because of that?”

“It was my father. When he saw that I was mocking the witch, he feared I would no longer be safe.”

“Then he sent you away.”

“He told me to go home to his family house in Warri. That was not going to happen.”

“Did he know you were still around here?”

“No. If you didn’t know, how would he have known? He knew of course that I did not arrive in Warri after he put me on a bus that morning. I texted him and told him I had gone somewhere else to put his mind at rest.”

“And when you returned. How did he feel?”

“Well, a parent will be happy to have his child back I suppose. Even the prodigal son was welcomed hehe. It was easy because we thought the woman had died.”

“You didn’t have any doubts?”

“We did. We discussed it the night I returned. My father just said that we must remember that she was not immortal. Maybe she finally met her waterloo. Bros, as you all said, she was hauled into an ambulance and everyone saw it.”

“True. I saw it too.”

“Give me a day or two to ask around and know how to proceed. We have to do something.”

“I’m not sure I want to go to any jazz man.”

“What are you saying bros?”

“I do not want to dabble into anything diabolical.”

“So it is the pressing that they are pressing you every night that is not diabolical?”

“Two wrongs do not make a right.”

“There is nothing wrong here bros. It is self defence! Somebody turns herself into breeze and messes with you every night while you sleep. Finding a solution to the problem is not diabolical.”

“The jazz men, do they know God? Only Jesus can save.”

“Bros abeg abeg abeg.”

Ndifreke shrugged and said, “You can say that because your people do it all the time. You even have witchcraft antidotes in your house.”

Irikefe opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. He saw a new defiance in Ndifreke that worried him.

There was no light that evening so tenants were out with their stools and mats to the frontage to receive fresh air before retiring to bed. As always, they had broken into groups according to their interests and were discussing loudly. The loudest group had Josiah, Mr Cosmas and Mr Zubi and his wife also. She was raving about Linda Ikeji’s pregnancy.

“I don’t want to miss that Irikefe. It’s been long I heard Mama Willy-willy talk.”

“What we are discussing is important bros. For your own good, we have to do something.”

“You may be right. But it doesn’t have to be us doing something. How about we discuss it with the men? Or at the council of elders even. I’m sure I’m not the only one being pressed in this compound.”

“Then my father will know I told you.”

“And so?”

“He asked me not to talk. That we can’t prove it.”

“Now that’s a wise man.”

“Bros you’re making a mistake.”

“I have enough problems Irikefe. You know that. Going to a juju man over a witch when I have a pregnant girlfriend I cannot provide for is the sort of thing you see on Africa magic and wonder.”

“Then let’s go to a prophet.”

Ndifreke sighed and looked around.

“Thanks for your help my friend. But I’ll suggest you listen to your dad.”

Irikefe held his arm as he was about to walk away.

“Please don’t tell anyone.”

“Of course I won’t. How can I prove it? I’m with your dad on this one.”

“That woman Kemi Olunloyo is right. Linda is no role model.” Mrs Zubi was saying.

“Who has she helped? Who else is blogging and living in a banana Island mansion? Is it not the same whizkid and Rita Dominic they all write about?”

“Wizkid said her private part is smelling. And someone went and put his thing inside and got her pregnant, inyama!”

“That is the only one you will hear.”

“That made headlines. Whenever I see sardine that is what I remember.”

“May God help you.”

“But the Kemi woman, they should have just let her rot in jail. The woman just come out come dey cause commotion.”

“Me I don’t like the woman o, but Linda deserves it. Do you know how many people her gossip has destroyed? Someone needed to give her a taste of her own medicine.”

“But what are we to believe? First, she said the pregnancy was fake, that she is wearing prosthetics like Beyonce wore for her first baby. Now she is saying she is an abandoned baby mama. That the man that got her pregnant is one errand boy for Otedola and Dangote who will have nothing to do with her.”

“Whatever they like let them say about her. It is Karma. I’m sure even she herself knew that she wasn’t getting away lightly with this.”

‘Plus say, she dey preach celibacy.”

“Hmmm.”

Josiah turned to Mr Zubi and said “But what is Obasanjo’s own sef? He has been all over the place campaigning against Buhari. The man no dey tire?”

“My brother. The same person in helping to remove Jonathan said that Buhari was the messiah. I think he has not recovered from his failed third term bid. That man wanted to be our Mugabe. He fansies himself a king.”

“Or King maker sef.”

“But Buhari no try o. Imagine praising Abacha in his clap back to Obasanjo. Abacha!”

“Mr Anticorruption praising the most corrupt ruler after Mobutu Sese Seko. And that for building roads. Have you ever heard such nonsense before?”

“Don’t be fooled. They know what they are doing. One of these days you will see them eating and dancing together at a function. Don’t forget they are both soldiers. I no dey carry politicians wahala for head again.”

“True talk my brother.”

Ndifreke left that company and went to his room. He was jarred by Irikefe’s revelation, much more than he was willing to show. One thing he was sure about was that he was not going to forget his education all of a sudden because of this. There was no way he was going to go and kneel before an illiterate native doctor or a so-called prophet and have them mess with his destiny over something he did not understand. He got to his room and closed the door. He was a Christian and he believed in the saving power of Jesus Christ. He knew he had not acquitted himself quite well before his God, but he also knew the admonition “call upon me in the time of trouble and I will answer you”. So he knelt down and prayed. Another thought struck him. He could use anointing oil and anoint himself before he slept. Only he did not have any. He thought a while and remembered Sister Esther. So he went out to find her. He met her carrying two plates of food from her under staircase kitchen into her room.

“Good evening Sister Esther.”

“Good evening Ndifreke” She said and hurried into her room. She did not shut the door because there was no light. They generally left their room doors open until they were about to go to bed in this situation.

Sister Esther placed the two plates of food on the small table and waited for the boy to pass but he did not. He seemed to be lurking around her door. What is this one again, she thought. She had been happy today. She made beans and plantain, which was Kingsley’s favourite, and just as she had hoped, when he was passing he made the comment she expected to hear - “He who eats alone, dies alone – Dina Meleye”

Esther knew of course that that was not a Dina Meleye saying. It was the closest thing to a joke Kingsley uttered. Whenever he said that he would attribute it to whichever politician was trending nationally at that point in time, and the message was always clear. He would sneak in after a while for the food, and then maybe, just maybe…and the last thing she wanted was Ndifreke or anyone else coming around at that time for God knows what.

“Are you there Ndifreke?”

“Yes Sister. Sorry to disturb but I needed something.”

Sister Esther put her head through the curtain and said “Yes?”

“Erm sister, I want some anointing oil.”

At that, sister Esther straightened and stepped out of the room to face him. It was dark in the corridor, but she could make him out all right.

“You want what?”

“Some anointing oil, Sister.”

Sister Esther did not want to ask him what he needed the anointing oil for. But she recognized that this was a soul that was ripe for harvesting for the Lord. What she should do now was to counsel him and give him the good news of salvation and even lead him to Christ. But then, she had just made dinner with the intention of being with a man. And Kingsley she knew would show up at any moment. Guilt, like she had never felt before gripped her. But she still found the presence of mind to go back inside, grab a small bottle, return and hand it to him.

“Whatever it is our God is faithful and just. Take.”

As he stretched out his hand sister Esther held it. “Father, whatever it is that may trouble thy son, as he has acknowledged your power and has come to you, do not forsake him. Meet him at the point of his need, in Jesus name.”

And they both said “Amen.”

“So we should still go to him?”

“Yes.”

“Even when he has been warned?"

“What can he do? He went to bed hungry. He does not even have the energy to swat a mosquito.”

He chuckled and said “But Irikefe. How long are we going to wait for him to make a mistake?”

“He has already made the mistake.”

“Which is?”

“Talking to Ndifreke about me. He thinks he is smarter than his father.”

“How do we use that?”

“Now he has been disobedient. He loses his father’s protection. His spirit is ruffled because deep down he knows his father may be right. But he is headstrong and has now played into my hands that way. I will now make my move.”

“We go to his room?”

“No. I will go to the village. I will stay in the forest for three days and obtain what I need to deal with him.”

“Wow! Can I come?”

“Of course, am I not your only available parent? Who will I leave you here for?”

“Thank you.”

“Our people also need to see Akunna’s real child.”

“Okay.”

“They know me in the village so the wrong people will not come close. That way we will be able to go and come as we like.”

“I love this life.”

“But why don’t we just fly there and come back?”

“What I want to do to Irikefe is physical. I will be attacking him in the flesh. What we need are material things.”

“Okay.”

“I will have the soul incarnate in Maya before we leave. Now that she wants to start going to antenatal, she may go and interact with other pregnant women who may help her close the door to us.”

“Oh I see. When are you doing this?”

“In a day or two.”

“Okay. So tonight we go to Ndifreke.”

“Yes. Now.”

So they held hands and thought about Ndifreke and immediately they appeared in his room.

They saw an unusual glimmer of light and a small wall around him where he lay. She turned to him and said, “Our man prepared for us.”

“Please let’s go back. I don’t want what happened before to happen.”

She chuckled and said, “Let's see how prepared he is.”

Ndifreke felt a presence in the room. He tried to lift his arms but they were heavy. He wanted to open his mouth but nothing came out. Immediately sweat broke out from his body. She was here! How did she enter when he had prayed!

“He is afraid,” she said to her companion. “Can you see how his fear dimmed the light and broke the small wall around him?”

“Yes.”

“All we needed to do was stop the air around him. It is not always so easy. But he is one with no resistance at all. For some others, you may need to do more.”

“I understand.”

“Get him.”

TO BE CONTINUED.

hmmmm... Knowledge without will is pointless... Ndifreke better crank up his resistance.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nobody: 11:27am On May 27, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
hmmmm... Knowledge without will is pointless... Ndifreke better crank up his resistance.
Quoting the story was totally unnecessary.Please desist from such.

5 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eyezik3(m): 11:47am On May 27, 2018
Nice write up Centino baba, you are going places bro!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by stainless239(f): 12:00pm On May 27, 2018
I cover Ndifreke with the Blood of Jesus!!!

*praying loudly*

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.