Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

Living With Your Parents - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living With Your Parents (4863 Views)

Living With Parents After Wedding / What Is Wrong With Men Living With Their Parents After Marriage? / What's The Best Advice Your Parents Ever Gave You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living With Your Parents by U1(m): 4:31pm On Feb 04, 2007
I was just wondering to myself and I thought I should ask everyone.At what age would you consider it unreasonable for a person to still be living with parents.
Re: Living With Your Parents by Seun(m): 4:36pm On Feb 04, 2007
I live with my parents (at 24+) because it's cheap. I'm not yet ready to start burdening myself financially.

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Parents by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 04, 2007
Seun:

I live with my parents (at 24+) because it's cheap. I'm not yet ready to start burdening myself financially.

appologies aforehand if this sounds un-nice but that is borderline irresponsibility. Your parents should still not be shouldering your financial responsibilities at 24+

3 Likes

Re: Living With Your Parents by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 04, 2007
i always assumed at least for guys, you left home to take care of yourself as soon as you finished college. Maybe i'm looking at it from a Nigerian/me perspective here. In the US men aged 35 are still living with their parents. shocking!

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Parents by Seun(m): 4:48pm On Feb 04, 2007
If my parents are ready to charge me for the food and shelter they provide, I'm ready to pay. Why should I leave this perfectly usable accomodation for an inferior one in the name of independence? I'd rather live with my parents and save a little than live "independently" and have no savings. Financial independence is more important, as I see it.
Re: Living With Your Parents by Nobody: 5:14pm On Feb 04, 2007
many times the "inferior" accomodation may just be the stepping stone to developing into a responsible adult. Being a man is more than mere growing a beard, it is not an automatic ticket rather it is learned through experiences that many will regard as "inferior".
I lived a sheltered life for years unlike my friends. For years i considered myself "lucky" to have my parents running around for me even when ii needed a toothpick, but one thing that puzzled me was the fact that my friends seemed to be way more confident than me, did not have problems taking important decisions and always sounded more mature than i was (they were much older though).
Over time i realised one thing they had above me, they had learned from an early age to think and act for themselves and not depend on their parents.
At a time when they were growing by experience, i was still busy looking up to my father to take decisions for me.

2 Likes

Re: Living With Your Parents by Seun(m): 5:19pm On Feb 04, 2007
Not to worry, I don't allow my parents to make decisions for me. I'm a stubborn goat, as you all know. cheesy
I know what it's like to be pennyless and powerless; I'm just trying to avoid that at all costs by saving money.
As long as I have income and I have the power to spend that income as I please, I feel that I am independent.
Re: Living With Your Parents by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 04, 2007
sounds like not a bad arrangement to me. I would say to keep the need for parental advice to a near zero. I cant stress enough how much that set me back with being able to think for myself. Now i wish i knew what i know now when i was 18, i would have been a stronger person now.
Re: Living With Your Parents by naijacutee(f): 6:40pm On Feb 04, 2007
I think in Nigerian culture, one can carry on living with parents until after graduating from University and getting a job. Considering the amount of time it takes to graduate from Nigerian Government Universities, this may go well into the latter 20s and in some cases, until it's time to marry.

In Europe, most teenagers cannot wait to turn 18 just for the sake of independence. The are not financially dependent on the parents anyway, so what's keeping them at home?
Re: Living With Your Parents by funty(f): 9:50pm On Feb 12, 2007
i'll say living with your parents at the age of 30 is unreasonable

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Parents by jbbaby(m): 1:03am On Feb 13, 2007
If u stay in nigeria n u are a guy I think u should move out n get a place afta graduating from d Uni if u av a well paying job cos it helps ur decision making and stuff, makes u really responsible. if u dnt av a well paying job then u culd try 2 get one(God helping you) n if u dnt get it on time then undecided. Just make sure u leave home b4 you turn 30.

4 girls i think u should stay home till u get married even if its at 30 cos really wat do u want 2 move out 4, it doesnt really make sense in d nigerian setting
Re: Living With Your Parents by Stilettos(f): 11:19am On Feb 13, 2007
hmm undecided
Re: Living With Your Parents by Seun(m): 12:33pm On Feb 15, 2007
Moving out just seems as if it would be too expensive. The only advantage is that I'll be able to womanize freely?
Re: Living With Your Parents by naijafan(m): 12:43pm On Feb 15, 2007
well, i started living alone 5 months before i turned 20 - in lagos for that matter (my parents stay in ibadan).

i've never regreted it tho.

@seun
it doesnt have to be womanizing. parents sometimes dont understand when their kids sit at the computer all day long. i found it rather more convinient living without them cos of stuffs like closing late from work (with no parent to have hypertension over you), freedom to visit clients without bothering about house chores, etc.

4 Likes

Re: Living With Your Parents by breeolan(f): 12:58pm On Feb 15, 2007
i think naijafan is correct, been a programmer enquires alot of time and all, the last thing you need in your life is your momma bother over you, but serious, forgeting the gender thing, i'd love to stay outta ma parents house, get some freedom, and all, if i can afford it, it much more fun dat way, your able to handle issues more independently,

we all have differnt ways of viewing issues u knw undecided

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Parents by iice(f): 1:34pm On Feb 16, 2007
Hmmmm probably about 30 is way too long to live with one's parents. I've lived one my own since i was in high school.

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Parents by jbbaby(m): 7:12pm On Feb 16, 2007
I am really sorry if dis sounds somehow bt in nigeria i dnt think guys n their parents would really appreciate a lady who stays out of her parents place except 4 cases of parents living in another town n d girl has 2 work in another or in a case of having a place near 2 work or wat do u guys think.
it could be termed 2 be something else in Nigeria u know?
Re: Living With Your Parents by jbbaby(m): 7:37pm On Feb 16, 2007
I am nt talking about anywhere else bt nigeria because even with most of our parent really educated n stuff, U still see them frown at boys visiting u while u leave wt ur parent bt check them out wen u nt leaving wt ur parent n u r d type dat always has male guest(maybe just ur friends or schoolmates or co-workers), The people arnd would just see u as loose wtout even knowing. B4 i got married my mum use 2 say she didnt want 2 see me wt any1 except d one i am sure of. & den she would say things like always be a gud e.g 2 ur siblings n people around(it use 2 be funny 2 me cos having male friends doesnt make me bad) bt i took 2 what she said. bt uptill now i always wonder if my mum who is so enlightened(she is a medical practitional) could think dis way den how do other parents think? esp a guys parent.
Re: Living With Your Parents by iice(f): 2:39am On Feb 17, 2007
I wouldn't know. . . obviously the people i knew and grew up with had bigger minds than making assumptions. Blehhh besyd's the whole town probably knew who i was. A word or call will bring down the reign of fire tongue One has to know oneself and one's mind before venturing out i guess.
Re: Living With Your Parents by jbbaby(m): 9:39am On Feb 17, 2007
well said cheesy
Re: Living With Your Parents by NiteAngel(m): 12:04am On Feb 22, 2007
At 25, if you are out of school and working, you should consider living away from your parents. No branch becomes a tree until it is drawn away (by design or accident) to be rooted elsewhere.

If you decide to leave after you get married, marriage may not come soon. Or it could come when you are dead broke and then you'll want to move your wife in with your parents; just a bad way to start a family. You could start out in an apartment owned by your parents but, its not a good idea to live with them when you are old enough to start taking responsibility for others.

I left home at 25, my parents did not believe I'll survive but through thick and thin, I did.

2 Likes

Re: Living With Your Parents by uspry1(f): 3:33am On Feb 22, 2007
At age 25 right after graduating university to land a new job is a properly age to move out of parent's house independently that is what I believe in.

I left my parent at age 22 right after graduated university and got new job, because i also got married at that time, it was not right things to live with my parent. I did returned my parent's home temporarily after my divorce and lost job to start all over again to stand my own feet ready to move out myself independently again.

I do not want living my parent for my grown adult age for rest of my life---that is crazy. I myself am computer savvy especially programming field that needs to be concentrated on---no interruptions.

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Parents by naijafan(m): 2:29am On Feb 23, 2007
especially programming field that needs to be concentrated on---no interruptions

that's wat i'm talking about. no programmer wants to live with parents except they give the bq out to him/her and promise not to ever ever come there cheesy
Re: Living With Your Parents by Seun(m): 9:51am On Feb 23, 2007
naijafan:

that's what i'm talking about. no programmer wants to live with parents except they give the bq out to him/her and promise not to ever ever come there cheesy
No wonder I failed as a programmer, but I think Nairaland is a good consolation prize. undecided
Re: Living With Your Parents by Seun(m): 9:34am On Mar 26, 2007
Supposing one wants to leave one's parent in order to get some respect and to progress faster in life, and yet one is an aje-butter who can hardly do anything on one's won and doesn't trust people, how might one proceed?
Re: Living With Your Parents by omoge(f): 2:57pm On Mar 26, 2007
at age 21, i was already out of the house earning my own living, visit home every other weekend.

weather in UK/US or in Nigerai, i think for a male of 30years and above living with his parent is a BIG SHAME.  below 27 living there and contributing is okay. but at 30, leave your parents home.
Re: Living With Your Parents by uspry1(f): 3:35pm On Mar 26, 2007
In the US there are many guys over 30s-50s still live with parent. Those guy over 30s-50s are undateable toward women, because they could not live without their moms!!!! I saw many TV court shows---TOO MANY MOTHERS of older sons took care speaking out for their sons when the Judge ask him questions, lost the case!!!

That is unfortunately can happen in reality!!! Those mama's boys are not ready for facing real world to take responsible living his own place and messed up wrong things that mother did not teach him right!!!

I have my living witness. My one of eight deaf members at my church, he is 42 years old, still live with mom!!!! He said that himself to scare of living alone in the apartment! He did tried to get job himself, quit next 2 days! Oh plzzzz!!! He clings to his mom!!!! (his father passed away when he was little boy)   sad

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Parents by whiteNkem(f): 4:39pm On Mar 26, 2007
i really think tha if you got to your 30s and u'r still living with parents, you kinda crossed a line!

1 Like

Re: Living With Your Parents by ugodaniel(m): 4:48pm On Mar 26, 2007
white`Nkem:

i really think tha if you got to your 30s and u'r still living with parents, you kind of crossed a line!

lemme see, how old am i? 1,2,3,, 12,13,14,, 21,22,23,

well, am still far from thirty

heaves a sigh of relief
Re: Living With Your Parents by mctowel01: 8:32pm On Jun 11, 2017
Seun:
If my parents are ready to charge me for the food and shelter they provide, I'm ready to pay. Why should I leave this perfectly usable accomodation for an inferior one in the name of independence? I'd rather live with my parents and save a little than live "independently" and have no savings. Financial independence is more important, as I see it.
At what age did you eventually make the move? Its been 10years on, so tell us.
Re: Living With Your Parents by Khonifer: 10:00pm On Jun 11, 2017
naijacutee:
I think in Nigerian culture, one can carry on living with parents until after graduating from University and getting a job. Considering the amount of time it takes to graduate from Nigerian Government Universities, this may go well into the latter 20s and in some cases, until it's time to marry.

In Europe, most teenagers cannot wait to turn 18 just for the sake of independence. The are not financially dependent on the parents anyway, so what's keeping them at home?

Naijacutee, You have been on this forum for as long as my younger sister has been alive.

How is it that you're still a very active member? Do you prefer nairaland then to nairaland now? How come you haven't grown tired of this blue font you always have on? Or the moniker? Don't you think an 11 year old moniker deserves a rest? I was under the notion that nairalanders no longer use normal names as most had already been taken by old timers, so how is it that yours is "naijacutee"? Have you ever considered an old timers reunion?

Pardon the amount of questions. I'm just wondering.

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways To Have Hot Sex For Married People Only / 10 Weird Pregnancy Facts No One Tells You About / My Neighbours Kids Wear G-stringz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.