Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers (30535 Views)

Ambode's Gifts To Vulcanizers Are Springing Up All Over Lagos (PHOTOS) / 7 Unethical Things Vulcanizers Do That Car Users Don't Like / Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 03, 2017
Is this not something FRSC should make their duties?? Checking people's tyre along side document but hell No, they want bribe. Most of these guys are not literate enough, they do not know what over inflation and its causes are. Thank God for your life.

1 Like

Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Me to vulcanisers.

Here's N1,000 turn your machine on, give me the hose and I'll tell you when I'm done grin

They agree? ?
Power of N1,000 sha!
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 03, 2017
YelloweWest:

From where pls?

U can get from parts shop or buy online from konga.

1 Like

Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 03, 2017
Omotaday:
Please where can i get that meter? i need it.

From konga, jumia or parts shops
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Alal(m): 3:02pm On Jul 03, 2017
[quote author=PaperLace post=58054671]
Most of them use very faulty gauges.
This is a serious issue, mistaking 4.5 for 45! Hah!

This deserves front page, someone taught him to read it like that, and someone taught whoever taught him. Meaning, there are so many of them out there.[/quote It is not faulty ,the problem is that they don't calibrate the gauge,after their freedom from their Oga,the gauge the buy remain so. This little machine needs calibration from time to time.

1 Like

Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Omotaday(m): 3:09pm On Jul 03, 2017
greenhulk:

From konga, jumia or parts shops
thanks. what is it called? or what is the brand name?
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2017
You can buy your own tyre guage monitor.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2017
Omotaday:
thanks. what is it called? or what is the brand name?

Just type the names u see on any of the pictures below.

Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by YelloweWest: 3:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
greenhulk:

U can get from parts shop or buy online from konga.
Thanks
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by jodeci(m): 3:40pm On Jul 03, 2017
I had almost thesame issue and my new tire was condemned. I asked the vulcanizer to inflate my tire to 38psi little did I know it was inflated to 95psi. I got to know when my car started wobling and i pulled by another vulcanizer to discover it was 95psi and by this time the tire was gone,new Micheline 17/65/265 rim of 70k was gone.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 03, 2017
jodeci:
I had almost thesame issue and my new tire was condemned. I asked the vulcanizer to inflate my tire to 38psi little did I know it was inflated to 95psi. I got to know when my car started wobling and i pulled by another vulcanizer to discover it was 95psi and by this time the tire was gone,new Micheline 17/65/265 rim of 70k was gone.

Omg this is really bad. 95psi? And I was thinking 75psi was bad enough.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 03, 2017
PaperLace:

They agree? ?
Power of N1,000 sha!

Some don't and I simply move on to the next person.

I vote with my money.

My way or the highway.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by salford1: 4:09pm On Jul 03, 2017
Jesus Christ....
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by alezzy13: 4:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
greenhulk:

Check konga, there are different tyre pressure guages and they are inexpensive.

I see, thanks
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Daboomb: 4:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
greenhulk:

I tell u, and to think of the fact that he must have inflated many tyres like that. I think there need to be regulatory bodies that will enforce this and educate people about recommended tyre pressures. Last month I traveled to Benin with my brother inlaw, we went in my car. On our way I guaged my tyres and he was surpsied when I said I inflate my tyres to 35psi. He said he normally inflate his own to around 50-55.. I showed him the door sticker where it says 32psi and he said those things don't work in Nigeria.

lalasticlala

Not to take away from the discussion, "Science-biased" people know that "Pressure increases, as Temperature Increases".

So, in most countries where this car are manufactured and the Tire pressure calibrated, it is done at a particular temperature.

This "calibration Temperature" is usually lower (since the countries are usually colder than the Nigerian environment).
Thus the pressure obtainable in those countries might not necessarily be applicable in Nigeria.

The 'desirable' pressure is in-between the recommended and the maximum pressure suggested.

But even at that, the 'variation' should not be much, as our Fucker-nizers are illiterate and just put any pressure into your tire, give the tire some "blows" and pronounce it safe to drive! grin grin
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by fashrola(m): 4:39pm On Jul 03, 2017
greenhulk:
So I wanted to make a quick trip from Lagos to Ogun state this morning and as part of routine check up i decided to check my tyre pressure, pulled out my digital meter and one of the tyres was reading 28psi. Recommended pressure is 33 but I normally inflate to 35. Drove to this vulcanizer (or should I say fukerniser) and told him to inflate to 35. After he was done I checked myself with my own meter and to my surprise if was inflated to 75 psi. Wtf. I told the guy I wanted 35, he said he thought I said 45. Even if I said 45 how is that even close to 75?

So he deflated it and said it was ok, I checked again it was 60. I said it's too much, he deflated again and said that's 35. I now checked with his own meter and to my surprise he was reading the bar unit on his meter instead of psi. So he was taking 3.5 bar to be 35 psi which is actually 55psi. The idiot told me that my car is an SUV that I shouldn't deflate it further. I just told him not to worry, deflated it myself until it got to 35psi.

Pic 1: the meter the vulcanizer was using.

Pic 2: my own digital meter.

Most of these "vulcanizer" are using bar unit instead of Psi... Even when using bar unit, he should be able to convert bar to Psi (Important of going to craft school)

And most of their meter are not calibrated as stipulated (Onboard a ship all instrument including flowmeter must be calibrated annually) or else it's gonna give you +/- error when taking your reading.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 03, 2017
Daboomb:

Not to take away from the discussion, "Science-biased" people know that "Pressure increases, as Temperature Increases".

So, in most countries where this car are manufactured and the Tire pressure calibrated, it is done at a particular temperature.

This "calibration Temperature" is usually lower (since the countries are usually colder than the Nigerian environment).
Thus the pressure obtainable in those countries might not necessarily be applicable in Nigeria.

The 'desirable' pressure is in-between the recommended and the maximum pressure suggested.

But even at that, the 'variation' should not be much, as our Fucker-nizers are illiterate and just put any pressure into your tire, give the tire some "blows" and pronounce it safe to drive! grin grin

Don't u think u are contradicting urself? U wrote that pressure increases as temperature increases, that I agree. Now don't u think since Nigeria is always hot then there is more need not to over inflate our tyres? Tyre pressure increase by approximately 1 psi per 10 degrees Fahrenheit increase in temperature. And by the way I have seen lots of cars shipped from the UAE which is hotter than Nigeria and yet their recommended tyre pressure is around 35 psi. Also some States in the USA are as hot (if not hotter) than Nigeria in the summer.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Chibest2000(m): 4:54pm On Jul 03, 2017
[quote author=greenhulk post=58051118]So I wanted to make a quick trip from Lagos to Ogun state this morning and as part of routine check up i decided to check my tyre pressure, pulled out my digital meter and one of the tyres was reading 28psi. Recommended pressure is 33 but I normally inflate to 35. Drove to this vulcanizer (or should I say fukerniser) and told him to inflate to 35. After he was done I checked myself with my own meter and to my surprise if was inflated to 75 psi. Wtf. I told the guy I wanted 35, he said he thought I said 45. Even if I said 45 how is that even close to 75?

So he deflated it and said it was ok, I checked again it was 60. I said it's too much, he deflated again and said that's 35. I now checked with his own meter and to my surprise he was reading the bar unit on his meter instead of psi. So he was taking 3.5 bar to be 35 psi which is actually 55psi. The idiot told me that my car is an SUV that I shouldn't deflate it further. I just told him not to worry, deflated it myself until it got to 35psi.

Pic 2: my own digital meter. [exactly
Mr SUV owner, instead of suffering justice making the poor vulcanizer reduce the pressure over and over you should have asked him to use your almighty pressure gauge in the first place, you can't expect your gauge and his to read the same.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by omoskenso(m): 4:59pm On Jul 03, 2017
greenhulk:
So I wanted to make a quick trip from Lagos to Ogun state this morning and as part of routine check up i decided to check my tyre pressure, pulled out my digital meter and one of the tyres was reading 28psi. Recommended pressure is 33 but I normally inflate to 35. Drove to this vulcanizer (or should I say fukerniser) and told him to inflate to 35. After he was done I checked myself with my own meter and to my surprise if was inflated to 75 psi. Wtf. I told the guy I wanted 35, he said he thought I said 45. Even if I said 45 how is that even close to 75?

Please...between the red n black guage,which is "psi" or "bar"?
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jul 03, 2017
omoskenso:

Please...between the red n black guage,which is "psi" or "bar"?

Red is psi, black is bar.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 03, 2017
[quote author=Chibest2000 post=58087030][/quote]

Damn... So this is ur own interpretation of what happened? Dude this ain't about the pressure guage used, it's about reading the wrong value on the guage. Whether my guage or his we should be able to get approximately the same values. The problem is instead of him reading the psi unit on his guage he was reading the bar unit. 1 bar = 14.5 psi. So when u ask someone to inflate to 35psi and he adds 3.5 bar, now do the maths urself. This is for those that sit inside their car while the vulcanizer fill their tyre to 95psi and they just pay and zoom off.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by sonnie10: 6:43pm On Jul 03, 2017
Why can people pump their tires themselves in Nigeria?
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Chibest2000(m): 6:46pm On Jul 03, 2017
greenhulk:

Damn... So this is ur own interpretation of what happened? Dude this ain't about the pressure guage used, it's about reading the wrong value on the guage. Whether my guage or his we should be able to get approximately the same values. The problem is instead of him reading the psi unit on his guage he was reading the bar unit. 1 bar = 14 5 psi. So whence u ask someone to inflate to 35psi and he adds 3.5 bar, now do the maths urself. This is for those that sit inside their car while the vulcanizer fill their tyre to 95psi and they just pay and zoom off.

Its OK, got your point now, just didn't like the color you painted the vulcanizer and you sound to be generalising it on all vulcanizers, remember its not all vulcanizers that are quacks, we have professionals and amateurs in every occupation, next time go for professionals..
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by omoskenso(m): 8:07pm On Jul 03, 2017
greenhulk:

Red is psi, black is bar.
Thanks man
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by FromZeroToHero(m): 8:35pm On Jul 03, 2017
Whats the full meaning of psi? Don't tell of pound per square inch.
PaperLace:
The vulcanizer probably has a target to bring enough people to hell.
Hope you educated him on the proper usage?

Thank God you looked into what he is doing, some people will just balance inside their cars, once the fukernizer is done fùckíng the tyre _they zoom off. No supervision _ no cross checking.

3.5 bar isn't up to 55psi though.
3.5 bar should be 51psi. I stand to be corrected.

Lesson for all, know the recommended psi for your car. Have your own meter, supervise the inflation and reconfirm it was done right.

1 Like

Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 10:10am On Jul 04, 2017
The one near my office will pump tyre until the tyre EXPLODES.
Only him knows how he settles those people he burst their tyres..
I don't leave them alone. Even car mechanics.
Mental people everywhere..
If you burst a N20,000 tyre for me, will i hear ABEG ?
WTF..
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Valvin: 8:22pm On Jul 05, 2017
So it means that 2.5 bar gives you about 36psi...This is really informative... I never knew about this until I saw this post...one vulcanizer like that inflated my tire to 50psi and said dts d normal gauge needed.. But now I know its wrong..
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by timifakay(m): 9:14pm On Jul 06, 2017
Haha... I've seen (I didn't partronise him oh) worse.
I was walking one fateful evening and a roadside vulcaniser asked me to help him load an airtime voucher in his hands. He obviously doesn't know how to read well or has very terrible sight. How will he accurately read any guage, whether analogue dial, analogue pen or digital?
Best bet is to check by yourself, either with your own guage or tell him to show you what's on the guage used and ensure it's recommended value before paying.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by bizzle2: 11:29pm On Jul 06, 2017
Valvin:
So it means that 2.5 bar gives you about 36psi...This is really informative... I never knew about this until I saw this post...one vulcanizer like that inflated my tire to 50psi and said dts d normal gauge needed.. But now I know its wrong..
There is no "Normal" guage. The max pressure differs from tire to tire. Just read the information on the outer walls of your tire and conform accordingly.

For instance , The rear tires on my SUV have a 51psi max inflation pressure rating.
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by bizzle2: 11:47pm On Jul 06, 2017
greenhulk:

Just type the names u see on any of the pictures below.
I hate to have to say this but... Most of these digital guages you see on konga & co are crap. They either don't last that long or thier readings start to become in-accurate after a short period.

Mechanical guages are still one of the best out there. As long as you get a very good brand.

Did some research before i got mine, and what i found to be currently the best or one of the best rated, is mechanical too.
The reviews are excellent everywhere, even on amazon.

http://mycarneedsthis.com/todays-best-tire-pressure-gauges-to-have/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XPL88NC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499380840&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tiretek+tire+pressure+gauge&psc=1

Getting a very "SOLID" digital guage for $10 ? Highly unlikely, even abroad.

This even has a bleed button , that allows you to more accurately reduce your tire pressure (while watching the dial) without removing the guage.

1 Like

Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Charlssey(m): 2:37am On Jul 07, 2017
greenhulk:

Pls how much is your digital gauge and how did you procure it?
Re: May God Save Us From These Vulcanizers by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 07, 2017
bizzle2:

I hate to have to say this but... Most of these digital guages you see on konga & co are crap. They either don't last that long or thier readings start to become in-accurate after a short period.

Mechanical guages are still one of the best out there. As long as you get a very good brand.

Did some research before i got mine, and what i found to be currently the best or one of the best rated, is mechanical too.
The reviews are excellent everywhere, even on amazon.

http://mycarneedsthis.com/todays-best-tire-pressure-gauges-to-have/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XPL88NC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499380840&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=tiretek+tire+pressure+gauge&psc=1

Getting a very "SOLID" digital guage for $10 ? Highly unlikely, even abroad.

This even has a bleed button , that allows you to more accurately reduce your tire pressure (while watching the dial) without removing the guage.

Nice one. I'll check it out. And honestly I don't recommend digital guage for vulcanizers actually, unless they can get a genuine one as they need to use it several times a day. But for a private user like me that get to use it maybe 1 time in a week, then it makes sense. At least I can use it up to 6 months or 1 yr before it starts acting up, and at that price it's a win win. My thoughts.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Picture Of A Graduate Driving Keke-napep In Kano / Passengers & Goods Loaded Together In A BRT Bus At Idumota (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.