Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? (21339 Views)

Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? / How Much Money Should I Save Before Quitting My Job? / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by jjjjj2017: 9:21am On Jul 03, 2017
Oyindidi:
kiddy kiddy, nothing does youtongue
lol
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Qualityever: 9:30am On Jul 03, 2017
OP your head dey pain you? what if the gal leaves you tomorrow? what if you are sacked from your banking...? What if your dad is no longer there when you will need him to further your education?

why are some persons born with a silver spoon self?
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Ahmed3rdjuly: 9:37am On Jul 03, 2017
javadoctor:
U must have saved alot for Canadian MSc, cos Its costing a friend of mine close to 21m to relocate his wife, daughter and have a masters degree in Ontario.

21M?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:37am On Jul 03, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
If it's a well known school then go. The education and the networking you will get is priceless but if it's one of those useless shitty universities that Nigerians are fond of going to then don't bother. The money for the Msc can be used to run professional courses or start a business in Nigeria.

Thank you and God bless you for these words. Succinct.

If the op is going to make the decision then this quoted advice is what he should follow. If he does then he wont miss a step in this world.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by sunnyeinstein(m): 9:39am On Jul 03, 2017
javadoctor:
U must have saved alot for Canadian MSc, cos Its costing a friend of mine close to 21m to relocate his wife, daughter and have a masters degree in Ontario.

Kilode oga mi? E se suuru naw! 21milion ke?! Sse dem dey park d community go ni? Ee de beeru Olorun!

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Ahmed3rdjuly: 9:40am On Jul 03, 2017
What are you waiting for
Am 10 years older than you and am still working and praying my own click.
Think about a life in Nigeria 20years from now and that in Canada you will know you made the right choice.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:
Dear nairalanders, plz i need advice from experienced minds. I am 28 years old and have been workin in a Bank for three years ( i am fairly confortable ). But i have been under pressure by my dad to advance my studies abroad.

The issue here is that it feels i will be starting life all over again, after the MSC then what ? Come back ? Job search again?? I also have a girl friend i have been committed to and we both have been planning to settle down next yr.

I am so confused and i cant plan my future any longer. Some people have adviced that living abroad is always better than nigeria while others have said , if you are ok here why move.

Plz career experts and experinced ones should plz advice me putting into consideration my relationship commitments too.
I know you already made your mind up. But, if I am in your mind, you want to go to Canada. Whether or not it 's a right move is different matter which is not relevant now.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:43am On Jul 03, 2017
erico2k2:

We have to stop thinking like this, people who know nobody are getting Jobs still especially in the private sector think Dangote will employ an SSCE school leaver to someone with masters in Human resources from teh Uk just cos the SSCE man is from his village?
Does the guy even know what it means to go to Oxford university. Some people just stay at home and type any rubbish on the Internet.

3 Likes

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by aions: 9:52am On Jul 03, 2017
i likely have to tell you that nothing is certain in life, but if am to advice you...
everything depend on you, firstly you can do an introduction with your GF if not marriage self to show her u are committed to her, (2) its advice able to travel out and get ur MSC in a field that will actually allow you to start your own thing in the nearest future or when u are done...(3) opportunity comes but once if u decline now and the banks sack u today, dat doing fine is gone and life will be so much confuse than what u are experience now...bro thats all i have to say.....you can pm for any confusing q?
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by erico2k2(m): 9:55am On Jul 03, 2017
Charlssey:
MSc, PhD...all for what? Are they not all for cash sake? To get an employment? I'd say it depends on how secure your bank job is. If you're a regularised staff, I'd say grow your career. hold on to your job cos many masters degree holders are still searching for years for one. You could develop yourself other ways, maybe do a masters with NOUN or online.
This is very silly, , do you know what it means having MSC and PhD in Canada? a PhD holder abroad can lecture straight away.You will be leading projects and researches and you impute would be considered in making laws that governs your discipline. Ignorance indeed is a SIN.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by britishknight: 9:58am On Jul 03, 2017
Bros, how much do you earn from your banking job?
How secure is it?

I percieve the funds are available for you?
kindly go ahead and further your study in Canada. When you come back, your earnings will jump up.

But do you know what you can earn in Canada when compared to what you are earning here?
You may pick up their PR Card and equally have a new lease of life with your family.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Nobody: 9:59am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:
Dear nairalanders, plz i need advice from experienced minds. I am 28 years old and have been workin in a Bank for three years ( i am fairly confortable ). But i have been under pressure by my dad to advance my studies abroad.

The issue here is that it feels i will be starting life all over again, after the MSC then what ? Come back ? Job search again?? I also have a girl friend i have been committed to and we both have been planning to settle down next yr.

I am so confused and i cant plan my future any longer. Some people have adviced that living abroad is always better than nigeria while others have said , if you are ok here why move.

Plz career experts and experinced ones should plz advice me putting into consideration my relationship commitments too.

Guy i won't lie am thinking of Canada too. Go For it,Bank jobs are not stable also as for your relationship, First get to Canada and settle yourself first, and later you can get her to come along with you, Once you guys are married, it will be easy to get her over there, My 3 Aunties are in Canada my uncle is planning is move, one of my aunt's husband is there based on her Residency he hasn't finished applying for his but he's over there. Don't make any stupid decision like forgoing it because of your GF, if you guys later break up, you will regret throwing that opportunity life is better outside Nigeria unless you are lucky to be getting serious cash here, we all managing here and bidding our time. Me am out of this joint i qualify for skilled worker so what am i waiting for, I envy your position.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by mindworx: 10:02am On Jul 03, 2017
nengiscrib:
Let me answer the best I can.
Not too long ago Canada opened its doors wide to accepts immigrants, and the head in charge (can't remember his name) said Canada needs people and especially young skilled workers and students (undergrads and postgrads).

Jobs are available in Canada, u need to have the mind set of remaining in Canada if u happen to go there, u need to make contacts with people and research on the Internet the possibility of remaining there and getting a job.

If your degree relates with your current experience it will be even better, ie if u studied finance, accounting, business information systems, economics, business administration, business studies etc, then adding a masters degree plus job experience will definitely increase ur chances if getting a job in Canada.

Bur if u have a degree other than that, two things come into play, are u willing to follow the path of ur experience now ie switching degree in masters or about to continue the path of ur undergrad, continuing on ur experience path will be better off I believe but that's just my opinion.
Either way Canada provides more opportunities so that shouldn't be an issue, just make sure u put ur head nose leg everything u have on ground to get information on how to stay back there even if it means doing some short course so u can extend ur stay to a certain requirements and / or getting a job.

I know lots of people that went to Canada for undergrads and masters, only one of them is in Nigeria now.

In conclusion if u a thinking or willing to come back to Nigeria after your masters, then don't go to Canada stay back in Nigeria with your job in your pocket. There is no need.

Cheers

nengiscrib, Please advise me. I studied Comp Sci. I have 9 years post-nysc experience as I.T professional (of this, 4 years in banking services, 1 year in the bank). Got married this year. I plan to start my move to Canada next year.

1. What is the best method to move with my wife? School or Express entry
2. For the method you pick above, just tell me a TOTAL estimate of what I should budget (in Naira)

My income here is not that bad, but am moving because i want a better life. I have been pouring my earnings on lands so that i can sell off and leave.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 03, 2017
Teedawg:
1) not even about going to canada but furthering your education is a huge step for you. you live comfortably don't you know with a higher degree you can live better especially now you thinking about settling down and having a family.

2)studying in canada or any developed foreign country is great you'll be exposed to more than what you can imagine you'll see the world in a different view

3) Canada happens to be a great place for international students most especially for those who wanna stay back and work after graduation they've made it very easy compared to their neighbors the US. so about getting a job after that its not a problem if you decide to stay there.. if you wish to return home to work its a plus for you cause you have an advanced foreign degree that our employers admire and also have work experience... can't you even get a study leave from your workplace without salary

3)as for your gf she should understand that you're going for what is best for you and her so convince her besides you won't be the first couple to leave each other for education and comeback you can also Marry her b4 you leave if you wish

4) make sure you've gotten your admission and visa before leaving your job if the management is not the kind that is understanding

5) in summary leaving your job to studies is not a bad idea.. make your decision together with your gf make her feel very important in making decisions about your life she'll trust that you really know what you're doing and will allow you go which girl no like better thing I'm sure she has been waiting to tell you this but she been no get opportunity but now she has tongue

6) i leave am between you and your parent good luck!

You have no experience at all.

Just theories..
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by ghettochild(m): 10:16am On Jul 03, 2017
abeg go canada. after m.sc u can always get a job there. got friends who after schooling r working there now
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by hisMrs(f): 10:18am On Jul 03, 2017
uncle OP, is it ur father that want to sponsor u to that Canada? if the answer is YES. uncle please take my advice don't grab this opportunity o, hug it gidi gan ni o. You don't get opportunities like this on a platter o. Banking jobs are not reliable, them fit sack u anytime. if u run ur masters in Canada God can bless u from there o. As for your babe make her understand, if she never too old she fit wait and if she cannot wait make she waka.
I know it will b a difficult decision but please be wise about it
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Trottle: 10:18am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

Sir, you are an adult hence, you act based on what is right for you. Let us decipher the issue with 3 "questuon-like statement":

1. Would there be a ready job after coming back from Canada? Probably you're one of those with lots of strings to pull. If that is the case, you can proceed, if it is not? Sit diwn and enroll for a part-time masters in Nigeria or at best a DL Masters.

2. Why is your dad insisting on an MSc? If your dad is pressurizing you do bag a masters degree and you feel that it is not your next calling, you explain to him that it is not yet your priority. Except he has prepared a higher paying job for you, abd he would take care of ALL your expenses (which I strongly oppose at that age), you can advise him to bag one ( if he does not have one yet).

3. You want to settle down next year? From your response, I can see that you are in a very comfortable position to start a family. Don't delay it for any reason that is not a life threatening issue. What is the essence of fornicating around (I'm not saying you do) if you can marry and enjoy yourselves legally. Don't stretch her patience any longer. She's a woman faced with different pressures (parental, fertility etc.).

That's what I would do I were you.

"What would it profit a man to have an MSc degree without a job and a spouse?"

Think sir, think!

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by starwar(m): 10:19am On Jul 03, 2017
Alaye,my broda was a permanent staff in a bank all of a sudden dem just hand am gift of sack letter,naso my broda knelt down in front of every staff dey thank God....some no no why im dey thank God...Today im don get im PR for Canada.....Alaye move

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by WinkWrld: 10:23am On Jul 03, 2017
YES
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by bayulll011(m): 10:24am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

sincerely of you are okay here say salary of 300k plus you can stay for me no amount of money can make me stay,your job has no security look inward and plan well
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by mapist(m): 10:43am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

You left a salient point out; are you a core staff or seconded one?
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Trexnemesis(m): 10:44am On Jul 03, 2017
Are you married? If yes, dont go. You will have to come back jobless. If no, you can go, but ensure you extend studies to phd level; get engaged or or married to a citizen. Shikena!
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Kobicove(m): 10:47am On Jul 03, 2017
corpersforum:
It's a nice move. In fact, a great one. MSC I the main. Go for your MSC, then come back and go for a higher position in the bank or anywhere else.

Studying your MSC abroad Is a big deal meeehnn

Getting an Msc will not necessarily guarantee you a higher position in the bank
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Ogbodoo: 10:47am On Jul 03, 2017
Dont take any decision in a rush. Getting an higher degree is a great step but ensure this is part of your life plan. Being pressurized into anything may lead to something undesirable. Think. Soultion.

For those still looking for that dream job or simply want to recruit easily, join the world's smartest job network www.bejite.com, connect to your favourite employers, find jobs, recruit job seekers, find business mentors and partners. Sign up now. It is free!

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by onatisi(m): 10:47am On Jul 03, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

Kilode oga mi? E se suuru naw! 21milion ke?! Sse dem dey park d community go ni? Ee de beeru Olorun!
My brother own and his family cost him close to 50 million.
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Coefficient(m): 10:48am On Jul 03, 2017
starwar:
Alaye,my broda was a permanent staff in a bank all of a sudden dem just hand am gift of sack letter,naso my broda knelt down in front of every staff dey thank God....some no no why im dey thank God...Today im don get im PR for Canada.....Alaye move

I laughed so hard at this grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I can imagine the scenario
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by mapist(m): 10:50am On Jul 03, 2017
sammieguze:
hmmmmm
personally I would say a bird in hand is worth two in the forest.
even MSC from Oxford university won't guarantee anybody any employment in Nigeria at the moment except such individual has the long leg to go with it

before you take that leap, ask yourself...
will you still come back and look for job or you can obtain residency over there?

if the MSC is just to obtain chieftaincy title only to come back and start searching for work again, please reconsider o
again, for the period, you won't be working. can you afford to live on your savings and people's good will for the time being without it affecting your primary objective?

in simple terms, going is a good idea if residency and a job is assured upon completion
gaskia

I couldn't advise him more. Ppl see traveling out of the country as a high way to heaven. For Christ's sake, you said you are comfortable; why cant you think of ways to better your lot and be more comfortable? Perhaps, he thinks travelling out is a visa to success. Well, i pray you dont use the phrase - "had i known".

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by mapist(m): 10:55am On Jul 03, 2017
javadoctor:

Imagine, so, i ll have 21mm in this country, i ll b thinking of relocating my family to canada; that is great grin

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by starwar(m): 11:01am On Jul 03, 2017
Coefficient:

I laughed so hard at this grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I can imagine the scenario
E pain me small cos I no see dic-tion-ary money collect for my project that year
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by newslifeop: 11:04am On Jul 03, 2017
Yes
Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Willie2015: 11:05am On Jul 03, 2017
TD4real:

Pls go for that Msc if you like Academics, make a distinction and schools will pick you up for a PHD . don't be afraid

The banking industry is a mess, promotion is tight and gone are those days when they promote sharply. U will be in a worst situation when they sack you, u will become unemployed and your girlfriend will leave you for another rich banker......sharply leave this naija....

1 Like

Re: Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? by Teedawg: 11:22am On Jul 03, 2017
Naughtysite:

You have no experience at all.

Just theories..
good let's say i have no experience at all so that makes all i said wrong? different people have different experienced what worked for you may not work for him
my 2cents
regards
Teedawg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Good For A Boss To Slap An Employee / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker / BREAKING: Angry Workers Shut Down La Casera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.