Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct (58186 Views)

‘Same’ Things That Most People Don’t Know Are Actually Different / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by VargasVee(m): 8:42pm On Jul 03, 2017
English is a strange language, but nonetheless a beautiful one. Here are some crazy sentences that actually makes sense against odds.

1. I Chopped A Tree Down, And Then I Chopped It up.

The marvel of verbal phrases. One look at the sentence and you can't help but wonder how that's possible. But actually to chop a tree down is to hack it down, then to chop it up means to cut it into smaller pieces.

2. All The Faith He Had Had Had Had No Effect On The Outcome Of His Life

Text this, or write it somewhere, the other person to see this would paint two pictures in their head, either you are drunk or you keyboard is messing with you. The sentence rightly points out at lexical ambiguity. The sentence relies on past perfect, the first 'had' acting as a modifier, and the other two playing different roles.

3. The Man The Professor The Student Has Studies Rome.

This strange but grammatically correct sentence makes use of centre embedding. Some clauses are replaceable in English. Each noun corresponds to a verb, the sentence means " The student has the professor who knows the man who studies ancient Rome"

4. The Horse Raced Past The Barn Fell

This is a typical example of a garden path sentence. The reader is misled into interpreting horse as the subject and raced as the main verb in the simple past, but on seeing 'fell' they're forced to re-analyze the sentence. Reduced relative clauses let us say, in this case, "the horse raced past the barn" instead of "the horse that was raced past the barn."

5. One Morning I Shot An Elephant In My Pajamas.
How He Got Into My Pajamas, I’ll Never Know.

Groucho Marx came up with this. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.
This is a great example of how a sentence can completely change its meaning based on how we group the words together in our mind.

61 Likes 11 Shares

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by tobillionaire(m): 8:45pm On Jul 03, 2017
Good 1, lalasticlala where at thou food don done

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 03, 2017
You may actually think this is not correct but it is.

6. I need 100k ASAP.

Meaning that I need one hundred thousand naira as soon as possible. grin

238 Likes 7 Shares

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by successking401(m): 9:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
more
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by oldfoolnigger(m): 9:47pm On Jul 03, 2017
English one hell of a language!

ain't doing again!!

vernacular ti take over

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Caustics: 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2017
sad
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by project55: 10:17pm On Jul 03, 2017
An Israeli doctor says: "In Israel, medicine is so advanced that we cut off a man's liver put them on another man, and in 6 weeks, he is looking for work."

The German doctor says: "That's nothing,
in Germany we take part of a brain, put it in another man, and in 4 weeks he is looking for work."

The Russian doctor says: "Gentlemen, we take half a heart from a man, put it in another's chest, and in 2 weeks he is looking for work."

The Nigerian doctor laughs: "You all are behind us. Two years ago, we took a man with no brains, no heart, and no liver and made him President.

Now, the whole country is looking for work!"

Share with your friends, don't laugh alone �����

184 Likes 24 Shares

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by TheMainMan: 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2017
undecided undecided undecided
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2017
tobillionaire:
Good 1, lalasticlala where at thou food don done
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by hilroy: 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2017
Who English help? lipsrsealed

******Runs outta thread*****

1 Like 1 Share

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by veacea: 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2017
Who English epp?

2 Likes

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2017
Dem no teach you punctuation? Right it is but without punctiontion, it's totally wrong

34 Likes

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by vickylincon(m): 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2017
you ought to put comma in no 2

3 Likes

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Babychido(f): 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2017
OrestesDante:

6. I need 100k ASAP.

hahahahahaha

3 Likes

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 10:20pm On Jul 03, 2017
.That no 3 weak me (please no one should try to hold me oh )
Oya

4 Likes

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by zuby4real10(m): 10:20pm On Jul 03, 2017
Mtseew... Who English help.
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by oshe11: 10:20pm On Jul 03, 2017
OP that number 2 supose be 3"Had" and nt 4....

U CNT TEACH ME RAWBEACH

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by tolexy123: 10:21pm On Jul 03, 2017
Crazy language shocked
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Mutuwa(m): 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
undecided

She sells sea shells by the sea shore.

Pronounce fast and many if you think you good!
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Rick9(m): 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
English matter tire me jare, I need money.
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by andymofia(m): 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
Good one. Learnt something new.
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by madgoat(m): 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Yinkatolu: 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
Lmao @ no 2
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
5. One Morning I Shot An Elephant In My Pajamas.
How He Got Into My Pajamas, I’ll Never Know.

Groucho Marx came up with this. How he got into my pajamas I’ll never know.
This is a great example of how a sentence can completely change its meaning based on how we group the words together in our mind.

Funny man, Groucho Marx....
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by auntysimbiat(f): 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
Ok
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Damianbrown(m): 10:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
Imagine the way we struggle hard to learn anoda mans language, while ours is being shoved under the carpet.... I hail naija

4 Likes

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by fistonati(m): 10:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
English is not my native language and I will only take it serious as a language when its originators recognize my mother tongue and we start using our mother tongues to teach in classrooms.

They are just killing our languages thinking we speaking fonetics

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by chronique(m): 10:23pm On Jul 03, 2017
Edit the second one. There's an extra "had" that renders everything meaningless.

The third one should have a comma after "has"

The fifth should have a comma after "one morning ".

2 Likes

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by ajalawole(m): 10:24pm On Jul 03, 2017
OrestesDante:

6. I need 100k ASAP.

ur own worest past cheesy, that mean ur own worst pass

3 Likes

Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by GMBuhari: 10:24pm On Jul 03, 2017
had had had
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by simplemach(m): 10:24pm On Jul 03, 2017
Gns sha
Re: English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct by Sphinx02(m): 10:25pm On Jul 03, 2017
project55:
An Israeli doctor says: "In Israel, medicine is so advanced that we cut off a man's liver put them on another man, and in 6 weeks, he is looking for work."

The German doctor says: "That's nothing,
in Germany we take part of a brain, put it in another man, and in 4 weeks he is looking for work."

The Russian doctor says: "Gentlemen, we take half a heart from a man, put it in another's chest, and in 2 weeks he is looking for work."

The Nigerian doctor laughs: "You all are behind us. Two years ago, we took a man with no brains, no heart, and no liver and made him President.

Now, the whole country is looking for work!"

Share with your friends, don't laugh alone �����
not funny,get a life.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Congratulates His Brother After His NYSC But His English Got People Talking / Unimaid First Batch Admission List Is Out And Online / The Miracle Tree In FUTO, Federal University Of Technology Owerri (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.