Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,433 members, 7,808,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan (807 Views)

PDP Board Of Trustees Hold Meeting With Jonathan In Otuoke / Buhari Meets And Speaks With Journalists At His Daura Home, Katsina (photos) / Murtala Foundation Offers Buhari Fresh Opportunity To Debate With Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by newmaster(m): 5:48am On Jan 30, 2010
Written by Iyobosa Uwugiaren
Saturday, 30 January 2010 02:12
President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua appears to have finally bowed to pressure from world powers, eminent elder statesmen and pro-democracy groups by accepting to hand over to his deputy, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, pending his return from his long medical vacation to Saudi Arabia.
The vice president, who has been filling in for his ailing boss, has been unable to assume full constitutional power, because Yar'Adua refused or failed to formally inform the National Assembly of his medical trip.

Yar'Adua, 58, who has been away from the seat of power for 69 days, has been receiving treatment for a killer heart disease known as pericarditis in a Saudi Arabia hospital.
LEADERSHIP WEEKEND gathered last night that Vice President Jonathan spoke with Yar'Adua on Thursday night, when the issue was discussed. Consequently, the source said the president had agreed to comply with Section 145 of the 1999 Constitution by transmitting a letter to the National Assembly, informing it of his long medical vacation. "Unless some of the people who are benefiting from the situation dissuade him (the president) again, Yar'Adua will in the next few days, hand over to Jonathan as acting president," a source told LEADERSHIP WEEKEND.
"The vice president spoke with Yar'Adua on Thursday night; he briefed him about the political uncertainty in the country and the president has eventually promised to hand over to Jonathan.
"And, unless some hawks in the presidency prevent him again, he will surely hand over in the next few days."
The source said the interest of the nation matters most at present. "Let us tell ourselves the bitter truth: the president has a long way to go in his health challenges. We must do the right things to avoid the looming socio-political and economic crisis in our country," the presidential aide added. World powers - including the United States, Britain, France and the European Union - had expressed serious concern over the swelling row Yar'Adua's health is generating both within the country and in the international community.
"Nigeria is going through a period of uncertainty because of the prolonged illness of President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua," the United States, Britain, France and the European Union had said in a joint statement on Thursday.
The powers said they welcomed constitutional efforts being explored to "resolve the question of governing authority in the president's prolonged absence".
The world powers' statement came the same day the eminent elders group - made up of former Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gowon, former President Shehu Shagari, former Defence Minister Gen. T. Y. Danjuma, former Vice President Alex Ekwueme, former chief justices of Nigeria, Alfa Belgore and Idris Legbo Kutigi, among others also advised Yar'Adua to hand over power to his deputy.
According to the group: "It is important to resolve this issue by inviting the president to formally issue the necessary communication that will enable the vice president to be acting president, in accordance with section 145 of the 1999 Constitution, as soon as possible.”
Yar'Adua's handpicked cabinet members had resolved on Wednesday that their boss was not incapable of performing his constitutional functions.

http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/index.php/news/cover-stories/11354-yaradua-speaks-with-jonathan-
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by Beaf: 5:55am On Jan 30, 2010
"And, unless some hawks in the presidency prevent him again, he will surely hand over[b] in the next few days[/b]."

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Does it take days to write a letter or is he gonna carve it in stone like the ten commandments?

Somebody just wants to sell their newspaper with another bogus story.
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by Nobody: 5:59am On Jan 30, 2010
What an offshore President

When Nigerians protested it did not matter, but when Foreign powers protested it did.

When he feels seek he goes to Germany/Saudi Arabia/ Brazil . . . . . anywhere but Nigeria really

When he decided to address the media after 40days of absence . . . . .he chose to do so on BBC audio rather than speak to Nigerians live on TV on NTA.

I doubt anybody in the history of Nigeria has shown us this much contempt.

Keep in mind at the centre of this issue is the note that the President can choose to ignore certain sections of the constitution.
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by chidichris(m): 11:43am On Jan 30, 2010
because yar adua becoming the president of nigeria was rather a gift from the devil, i am of the believe that yar adua has been under-going some spiritual practices as part of his bargain.
anambra ppl shld expect to have a missing gov might soludo take over their govt's house.
the devil is the donor of what they have and we must agree that every gift from the devil has its hidden price tag.
all the same, there is always a joy in being mad of which only the mad ppl know.
all in all, obasanjo holds the keys to our problems.
the nigeria of today as presented by pdp has made it open that the fear of obasanjo has turned out to be the begining of wisdom.
what i do not know is why obasanjo's powers grow from strenght to strenght on daily basis with little or no resistance.
the big question remains, WHICH WAY NIGERIA?
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by stiyke(m): 11:58am On Jan 30, 2010
nonsense!!!! joke of a ppl
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by citizenY(m): 12:15pm On Jan 30, 2010
sighs undecided undecided undecided and walks away cry cry cry cry cry
What is wrong with my country undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 30, 2010
Offshore president, ,lwkmd
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by vowiski(m): 12:30pm On Jan 30, 2010
cough Nigeria cough****
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 30, 2010
It's pericarditis
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by kshow1(m): 12:33pm On Jan 30, 2010
Beaf:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Does it take days to write a letter or is he gonna carve it in stone like the ten commandments?

Yes, with the crops of politicians we have it will take days to write just a three line letter. grin grin grin
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by kosovo(m): 12:40pm On Jan 30, 2010
i lost hope in Nigeria since i was 5
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by ReachRich(m): 1:36pm On Jan 30, 2010
NIGERIA: Good People Great Nation.
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by ayo84(m): 3:01pm On Jan 30, 2010
The purpoted Handing over of power to lucky goodluck is awaited, it's going to be so difficult as long as turai is still calling the shots
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 30, 2010
The stale cap means 'Greed'
I Laugh in JEDDAH! cheesy grin
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by oderemo(m): 4:16pm On Jan 30, 2010

that make my day,. lmao .,that is funny. grin grin grin grin. online critics v offline jokers. wao.
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by paddylo1(m): 4:26pm On Jan 30, 2010
i lost hope in Nigeria since i was 5

no wonder it shows in your abysmal moderation of this political section

can u please handover your moderation to someone who has Nigerias interest at heart?

u lost hope? 

sigh
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by OAM4J: 10:37pm On Jan 30, 2010
Aren't we tired of all these unreliable 'reliable' sources?

As far as Nigeria is concerned, I only believe in what I can see.

Nonsense!
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by Remii(m): 10:41pm On Jan 30, 2010
One lie told needs another ten to support it.
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by strangleyo: 10:47pm On Jan 30, 2010
Ok, I'm taking bets.

How long does Jonathan have (to live)?

Place fill out odds cards and give them to me.
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by Ilelobola: 11:47pm On Jan 30, 2010
mikeansy:

When Nigerians protested it did not matter, but when Foreign powers protested it did.

When he feels seek he goes to Germany/Saudi Arabia/ Brazil . . . . . anywhere but Nigeria really

When he decided to address the media after 40days of absence . . . . .he chose to do so on BBC audio rather than speak to Nigerians live on TV on NTA.

I doubt anybody in the history of Nigeria has shown us this much contempt.

Keep in mind at the centre of this issue is the note that the President can choose to ignore certain sections of the constitution.

Well said.

I don't wish death on anyone but is it just me that believes the man is dead and someone's trying to tie some loose ends before letting us the Nigerian people know? The whole thing is just a NOT funny joke.
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by mamagee3(f): 12:00am On Jan 31, 2010
Haven't this thread been opened before? sad
Re: Good News - Yar’adua Speaks With Jonathan by Abeem(m): 3:17am On Jan 31, 2010
Not good news - A rejoinder has been written captioned "Yaradua did not speak with Jonathan" Follow the link below to read the story in Leadership Newspapers:
http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/index.php/news/cover-stories/11389-yaradua-did-not-speak-with-jonathan

(1) (Reply)

Harassment Of Night Crawlers By Police / Fear Grips Drug Dealers In Enugu / How Will Jonathan Affect Business And Investment In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.