Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel (14113 Views)

10 Ways To Save Fuel For Your Car / How To Save Fuel When Driving / Easy Tips And Tricks Every Driver Should Know (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by pinson(m): 10:13pm On Jul 03, 2017
Fuel Consumption Tips and Tricks 101: A guide to Save Fuel

(I used fuel because your car can be powered by petrol or diesel)

Just before I go into this, I would just like us all, especially Nigerians to reminisce that blissful period before the fuel price hike when petrol was once as low as 40 naira per litre.

Oh how we lived like kings and queens as our tanks never went below half, we would drive cross-country just because we forgot our biro in school. That’s how cheap it was.

Remember 2012, the announcement of the fuel subsidy removal.

For once, Nigeria embraced togetherness and unity fighting for a cause: Cheaper Petrol Price. We fought, went on strike, and most importantly enjoyed being away from the office or school, and it eventually fell to 97 naira from 140 naira.

Now fast forward to 2016, in the era of CHANGE. Where the price of fuel has gone all the way up to N145 and simply having an "island-mainland" affair is now termed a long distance relationship, some fuel tanks have not seen 'F' for months, relationships broken, number of bicycles have risen etc.

This is why I’m writing this piece today, because we don't for-see the fuel price dropping in the near future but I can surely show you how to get the best out of your hard-earned 145naira per litre.

"HOW?"

Would be one of the first words that come to mind.

When you look up the specifications of any car, you would usually come across "gibberish" like 30mpg city/ 40mpg highway/35mpg combined.

Thankfully, I speak the language of automobiles and I shall translate…

All that seemingly foreign language simply tells you how many miles you can cover with a gallon of petrol (or kilometres you can cover with a litre of petrol)

Actually, a lot of other factors come into play in determining fuel consumption. Factors such as the number of cylinders, the capacity of each cylinder, the type of vehicle and, not forgetting, how the vehicle is actually driven on a daily basis.

Luckily, Ayorinde AKA "Vader" is here for YOU

NOW TO THE TIPS

* Drive at the right tyre pressure: Most of us don't drive with our tyres at the right pressure and this increases rolling resistance, leading to more power being needed to counter the resistance, at the cost of more fuel being used.

* Avoid rapid acceleration and braking unnecessarily: Stamping hard on the accelerator results in excess fuel being pumped into the cylinders. Passengers do not need to get sucked into their seats every time you accelerate… Simply accelerate smoothly, “let her roll and gradually pick up pace”. The energy gathered from accelerating wastes when we brake unnecessarily.

* Avoid unnecessary weight: Get all that JUNK, outta ya or your TRUNK! Things like Shoes, Bags and irrelevant things left in the car and trunk weigh us down. The lighter the car, the less load on the engine, resulting in less fuel being used. A lot of our boots are an extension of our house. I have seen spoons, plates, HECK, even a microwave in someone's boot and the person said it had been there for almost a month,WHAT'S IT DOING THERE?

* Maintain a good engine: Are the “oils”, “spark plugs”, “air filter”, “fuel filter” etc in good state? I always say “a healthy car engine spares you headache".

* Petrol is made of volatile organic compounds: Meaning it can evaporate while in the tank… Ensure that your fuel filler cap is tightly screwed or bolted and avoid parking under direct sunlight as much as you can.

* Utilize your cruise control as often as you can (when the time is right): Here, a system takes over the throttling of air, pumping in the exact amount of fuel required to maintain a set speed (without support from your foot on the accelerator pedal).

Weird Fact: Driving with a quarter full fuel tank saves more fuel than driving with a full tank.

And THOSE folks, are ways I just helped you save some naira.

Share the word

Source : http://motorfixer.com/fuel-consumption-tips-and-tricks-101-a-guide-to-save-fuel/

21 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by hisgrace090: 7:36pm On Jul 04, 2017
Thank you.
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 05, 2017
Everybody is looking for how to make fuel last now.
Because fuel is expensive due to Jonathan and his boys

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by cr7rooney10(m): 7:06am On Jul 05, 2017
I can add water to make it last longer

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by cr7rooney10(m): 7:07am On Jul 05, 2017
Lolz
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 05, 2017
f

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by ddddon(m): 7:08am On Jul 05, 2017
Nice tips. Will remember them when I get my first car. Nothing consign Agbero and overload
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by chukadiho1(m): 7:09am On Jul 05, 2017
Nice remark
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by mactoni91(m): 7:09am On Jul 05, 2017
so shoes would make a car waste fuel?

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by olafum1(m): 7:11am On Jul 05, 2017
IpobExposed:

What do f are you doing here?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by Frankiss44(m): 7:12am On Jul 05, 2017
IpobExposed:

Receive Sense

15 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by nikz(f): 7:15am On Jul 05, 2017
Thanx for the tips. God bless u

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 05, 2017
I make sure not to use the AC except when direly needed.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by cyborg123(m): 7:16am On Jul 05, 2017
wink
Spot on. I love the fact that your tips are not some generic internet crap.

Tip 2, is very important and based on experience, is the biggest way to save gas especially on our pot hole ridden roads. Always accelerate smoothly and keep the revs down. It isn't a goddamn race.

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by MirJay: 7:16am On Jul 05, 2017
undecided . I love the tips and surely am gonna apply them but am not sure this will work for those wo prefer refilling their tanks with one litre.
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by emi14: 7:16am On Jul 05, 2017
Op you mean fuel can evaporate while in tanks. How?
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by Drabrah(m): 7:17am On Jul 05, 2017
Txs OP.
Buh worabout A/C? I've heard contrary views on this.
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by jamace(m): 7:18am On Jul 05, 2017
IpobExposed:
Nonsense talk.

5 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by potent5(m): 7:18am On Jul 05, 2017
Good. But is that all?

I enjoyed the introductory part of the post. Tho.

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by ogunwalea(m): 7:36am On Jul 05, 2017
For okada nko? How do i save fuel for my Bajaj?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by UgoFly: 7:36am On Jul 05, 2017
When you go to buy fuel, ensure that you get the correct quantity of fuel you are paying for, don't let pump attendants swindle you.

Next election, vote for someone that has sense and won't spend our oyel money in hospital abroad.

4 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by LC14052016: 7:37am On Jul 05, 2017
IpobExposed:
bad language, GEJ did well for Nigerians, atleast he listened and repond well. These APC are Zombies, turned our loving country into a zoo. .....#bringbackGEJ

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by Chuknovski(m): 7:41am On Jul 05, 2017
thanks to the old one who deluded Nigerians..... mtcheew
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by Alexbrain(m): 7:54am On Jul 05, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by Primebuilders(m): 7:59am On Jul 05, 2017
IpobExposed:

Olodo

1 Like

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by afopower(m): 8:02am On Jul 05, 2017
cr7rooney10:
I can add water to make it last longer
abi na
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by kingrt2(m): 8:04am On Jul 05, 2017
Its fair
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by HAH: 8:21am On Jul 05, 2017
Na this kind topic I gbadun not snake and tonto dike

TIP : when you reach a slop put the gear on neutral off your engine, the car will just glide, sometimes I get almost 1km free, though now level have changed LOL

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by DBossNG(m): 8:33am On Jul 05, 2017
OK
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by frankyfranky(m): 8:53am On Jul 05, 2017
........Utilize your cruise control as often as you can (when the time is right): Here, a system takes over the throttling of air.......

Should one drive with cruise light on or off?
Re: Fuel Consumption Tips And Tricks 101: A Guide To Save Fuel by cyborg123(m): 9:09am On Jul 05, 2017
I don't know if the point on cruise control is accurate. I notice that the acceleration with cruise control is almost always too sharp whenever you brake then reset it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Essential Things To Have In Your Car Always. / Elon Musk Set To Launch His Tesla Roadster To Mars On SpaceX Heavy Lift Rocket / Auction Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.