Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,159 members, 7,780,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:55 AM

The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) (15323 Views)

The Making Of Our Earthen Fish Pond ( Pics, Videos) / The Signpost At A Plantain Garden: "Steal With Joy & Die With Tears" (Photo) / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 9:01pm On Jul 04, 2017
Water Melon seed.
Am yet to plant the water melon, i think i will plant it tomorrow.

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by Seun(m): 9:08pm On Jul 04, 2017
Nice thread. Where do you buy your seeds? Does the Lagos Spinach come in a package too? Can you show us?

1 Like

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 9:11pm On Jul 04, 2017
I reside in Ibadan, so i buy the seeds from local sellers in the market.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 9:20pm On Jul 04, 2017
Seun:
Nice thread. Where do you buy your seeds? Does the Lagos Spinach come in a package too? Can you show us?

The Lagos Spinach seeds are measured in cup or congo, just like how they measure rice, garri or beans.

A cup goes for N1,000 while half cup is N500.

I have used up the half tin cup i bought, so can't show the picture, i will get the picture from the one on jidestroud's post.

The first is the tomato seed in the nylon, while the 2nd is the Lagos Spinach seed.

courtesy of jidestroud's picture

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 9:21pm On Jul 04, 2017
maxysmith:
where is the Garden
You can check the garden out now babe.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by maxysmith(f): 10:00pm On Jul 04, 2017
oyetpel:

You can check the garden out now babe.
ok
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by jidestroud(m): 10:05pm On Jul 04, 2017
This is just woah!!! I am already your follower @oyetpel. This is simply beautiful, to think you even laid hands on my favorite of all watermelons (crimson sweet). May your dedication and zeal to succeed pave way for you. Oya, let me take several seats and enjoy your thread. God's speed.

Just a quick one, you should also incorporate pest and disease control into your garden's budget ASAP.

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by jidestroud(m): 8:37am On Jul 05, 2017
oyetpel:
Snails

That's Achatina Fulica specie, highly productive, lays hundreds of eggs you know? Well, I would really advice plant them so close to your garden because they are quite destructive in nature and could also help transmit pathogens from plants to plant if it escapes their confinement. You could rare them away from the garden. Just an advice though.

On the corn, if you can lay your hands on urea fertilizer, please do. It will help boost there growth. I can see the already have almost ten Leaves out already.

Good work you have there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 8:49am On Jul 05, 2017
Day 40- Maize growing so well, tall and all green.

1 Share

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 8:52am On Jul 05, 2017
Day 47. Snake tomato are such climbers.

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 8:55am On Jul 05, 2017
Day 31. Most of the Cocoyam have almost sprout out.

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 8:56am On Jul 05, 2017
I planted the Water melon seeds this morning.
Below is the picture of the seeds.

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 8:57am On Jul 05, 2017
I also planted green leaf on the farm this morning.
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 9:00am On Jul 05, 2017
jidestroud:

That's Achatina Fulica specie, highly productive, lays hundreds of eggs you know? Well, I would really advice plant them so close to your garden because they are quite destructive in nature and could also help transmit pathogens from plants to plant if it escapes their confinement. You could rare them away from the garden. Just an advice though.

On the corn, if you can lay your hands on urea fertilizer, please do. It will help boost there growth. I can see the already have almost ten Leaves out already.

Good work you have there.

Thanks for your answer and observation.

I don't think the snails can get out of the pen i constructed, but i may move them out of the garden as you suggested.

The maize have grown, you can check my new updates.
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 7:31pm On Jul 05, 2017
I got this ankle rubber boot today for at the rate of N700.

4 Likes

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by pdozie: 9:37pm On Jul 05, 2017
Yea the snails are mostly AF. I caught a glimpse of one AM.
Once they (AF) start laying eggs and hatch that cage won't contain. You need be planning for extra pen for the baby snails.

Make sure the pen isn't in flooded area too.

I am also rearing some snails I picked from my garden. AM and AF.
Already laid some eggs

1 Like

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by Munzy14(m): 10:16am On Jul 06, 2017
oyetpel:
Day 47. Snake tomato are such climbers.
nice thread. please am interested in this snake tomato. the update matters a lot. nice garden.
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 12:33pm On Jul 06, 2017
Munzy14:

nice thread. please am interested in this snake tomato. the update matters a lot. nice garden.

Ok, thanks.

I will keep updating on it.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by 1kinggy(m): 9:43am On Jul 08, 2017
oyetpel:
Chicken net bought.

And i went to chop down the bamboo sticks myself in a bush, just needed fare to transport the bamboo sticks to our house.

Chopping down the bamboo was not easy, hmm.

Please, how much did you get a toll of poultry net or per yards.
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by 1kinggy(m): 9:46am On Jul 08, 2017
oyetpel:

The Lagos Spinach seeds are measured in cup or congo, just like how they measure rice, garri or beans.

A cup goes for N1,000 while half cup is N500.

I have used up the half tin cup i bought, so can't show the picture, i will get the picture from the one on jidestroud's post.

The first is the tomato seed in the nylon, while the 2nd is the Lagos Spinach seed.

courtesy of jidestroud's picture

Please space your planting. Put at least 1month between planting so you can a well spread out maturity and harvest. Otherwise, you'd have lots to waste.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 11:42am On Jul 08, 2017
1kinggy:

Please, how much did you get a toll of poultry net or per yards.
A bundle is N5,500

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 1:01pm On Jul 08, 2017
1kinggy:

Please space your planting. Put at least 1month between planting so you can a well spread out maturity and harvest. Otherwise, you'd have lots to waste.

I don't want to space, i want them all to grow together, eat some and wait for some to bear seeds so that i won't need to buy seeds again.
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by 1kinggy(m): 10:21am On Jul 09, 2017
oyetpel:

I don't want to space, i want them all to grow together, eat some and wait for some to bear seeds so that i won't need to buy seeds again.

One more reason to space. Your first set of harvest would give you seed for another batch. (If they harvest looks good enough for replanting.)
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by ayagbajumoh: 10:27pm On Jul 09, 2017
@oyetpel . this is creativity, innovation and determination at its height. smiley great work on your garden. keep it up. wish I could get such space in my front yard. smiley . for the snail, I will suggest you dig the wood fence deeper into the soil so the snails do not burrow thru and escape, that will not be micheal scofield's fault wink wink. all the best and enjoy your fruits when the time comes.

3 Likes

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 9:36am On Jul 10, 2017
ayagbajumoh:
@oyetpel . this is creativity, innovation and determination at its height. smiley great work on your garden. keep it up. wish I could get such space in my front yard. smiley . for the snail, I will suggest you dig the wood fence deeper into the soil so the snails do not burrow thru and escape, that will not be micheal scofield's fault wink wink. all the best and enjoy your fruits when the time comes.
Thanks.

I sure did dig the wood fence deep into the snail.

If the snails behave well as they are currently doing, i am planning to construct a big pen house for them.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by iedide: 2:41pm On Jul 10, 2017
Gud work.
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by jidestroud(m): 6:09pm On Jul 10, 2017
oyetpel:
I also planted green leaf on the farm this morning.

How's your green doing? Soko or Tete? Should be out by now.
Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 1:22pm On Jul 11, 2017
jidestroud:

How's your green doing? Soko or Tete? Should be out by now.

Doing fine.

Day 9: Soko and Tomato have sprouted out.

1) Soko
2) Tomato

I also planted some tomatoes in a bucket, and i observed that the ones in the bucket developed properly compared to the ones on mother nature.

I didn't plan to cultivate tomatoes in bucket or sacks, but by the end of this month i should start.

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 4:36pm On Jul 15, 2017
Day 51: Maize growing well

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by oyetpel(m): 4:41pm On Jul 15, 2017
So i planted potato today

(1) Potato plant
(2) Potato stem: The stem is the one that will bring forth potato tubers, so it will be in the ground..
(3)This is how the potato looks like on the ground after planting.

I planted the potatoes in between my maize heaps.

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by omobabalawo: 9:24pm On Jul 15, 2017
oyetpel:
Day 51: Maize growing well

jampacks maize on a tiny piece of land
maize:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) by Seun(m): 9:42pm On Jul 15, 2017
You should probably thin your maize urgently, since tight spacing makes pests and diseases difficult to control, and the plants in the middle might not produce anything due to lack of sufficient sunlight.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 / Hybrid Maize Seed Available / Poultry Chronic Respiratory Disease Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.