Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,133 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu (28088 Views)

Biafra: Afenifere Backs Nnamdi Kanu, Emphasize Nigeria’s Inevitable Breakup. / YOLICOM To Declare Oodua Republic, Rejects Restructuring / Biafra:Confusion as Ahmed Gusau, 'betrays' The North, Backs Nnamdi Kanu, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Obaiyski(m): 5:16am On Jul 05, 2017
Friday Olokor and Oladimeji Ramon

Prominent Igbo lawyer and former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Dr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), on Tuesday condemned the call for the country’s restructuring, describing it as a political calculation by the elite to grab power in 2019.

Rather, Agbakoba justified the demand for self-determination by the Nnamdi Kanu-led Indigenous People of Biafra, which is seeking a referendum to achieve same.

Agbakoba, who rejected the declaration by acting President Yemi Osinbajo that Nigeria’s sovereignty was not negotiable, said IPOB’s quest for self-determination was lawful and found justification in Article 1 (2) of the United Nations Charter and Article 20 (1) of the African Charter of Human and Peoples Rights, to which Nigeria was a signatory.

He said the Federal Government must immediately initiate a process to put the continued existence of Nigeria as a sovereign entity to a debate, stressing that restructuring was not the road map to federalism.

The legal luminary addressed journalists in Lagos on Tuesday at his Ikoyi office on “The future of Nigeria.”

Agbakoba said, “I see every politician now says restructure but I disagree. I also think the acting President was wrong to say that Nigeria is insoluble. There is nothing sacrosanct about Nigeria. It can blow up anytime. It’s an artificial creation, which was made in 1914 and when it was amalgamated we were not there. It was amalgamated in the interest of the colonialists.”

Agbakoba said it was unfortunate that since 1914 when amalgamation was thrust on the people, there had not been any home-grown process to resolve the will of the people to co-exist.

Agbakoba, who had once sued the Federal Government for neglecting the South-East, argued that the Federal Government goofed by charging the IPOB leader with treasonable felony for seeking self-determination.

He said, “For me, the best that he can be charged with is unlawful assembly and an act capable of breaching public peace. Those are the things he can be charged with, but not treason; because Nigeria is a signatory to the United Nations’ Charter, which recognises the right for self-determination.”

When asked whether he aligned with IPOB’s call for a referendum towards self-determination, Agbakoba, who said he had nothing against Kanu, responded, “Absolutely! What is sacrosanct about Nigeria? Nothing. What is sacrosanct about Nigeria is our agreement to be part of Nigeria. I’m not suggesting that Nigeria should not exist but to say that Nigeria’s sovereignty is not negotiable, nobody should talk about it.”

Agbakoba, who was a delegate at the 2014 National Conference, also said implementing the resolutions of the conference would not quell the various secessionist agitations in the country.

He argued that while it was politically incorrect for the Arewa youths to give the Igbo living in the North a quit notice, there was no legal basis to call for their arrest.

He said, “Did they commit any crime? They just said, ‘leave our place,’ that’s all. It’s not in the criminal code that if I tell a man to leave my house I have committed a crime. I have a right to tell you, this is my house, leave. It’s politically incorrect to tell the Igbo to leave but I don’t see any crime. And let’s be clear, we should not make this thing sound legalistic… it is political.”

Meanwhile, a former Minister of Information and Culture, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, on Tuesday , disagreed with the claims made by Nnamdi Kanu that ex-President Goodluck Jonathan was weak and incompetent.

He also said the Igbo benefited from Jonathan more than any other President who had ever ruled Nigeria.

According to him, if he had been born by Igbo parents, he would have been far more radical and uncompromising than Kanu.

Fani-Kayode, who said this in a statement entitled, “The lion of the East,” said Jonathan “did not lose the 2015 presidential election but was rather rigged out of it.”

He said, “The truth is that Nigeria should count herself lucky that he (Jonathnan) is a pacifist who has not called for and neither is he interested in an armed struggle. I do not however agree with him (Kanu) on everything and neither do I share his views about President Goodluck Jonathan. I do not believe that Jonathan was weak or that he was incompetent. As a matter of fact, I believe that the contrary is the case.

“I believe that he exhibited immense strength and courage by letting go of power even though he did not lose the 2015 presidential election but was rather rigged out of it and even though he did not need to do so.”

http://punchng.com/agbakoba-rejects-restructuring-backs-nnamdi-kanu/

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Freemancipation: 5:18am On Jul 05, 2017
Thank you sir for saying the bitter truth.

211 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by EzeUche(m): 5:19am On Jul 05, 2017
The time for restructuring has passed.

Igbos are focused on referendum and then Biafra.

Everything that Agbakoba said is the truth. Nigeria's unity is negotiable.

239 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by whitebeard(m): 5:30am On Jul 05, 2017
REVOLUTION IS HERE..NO TO succession AND restructuring.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by olaitoro(m): 5:32am On Jul 05, 2017
Spill the beans Agbakoba wink

Bye bye to Nigeria

170 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Justiceleague1: 5:32am On Jul 05, 2017
Nice one

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by olaitoro(m): 5:34am On Jul 05, 2017
whitebeard:
REVOLUTION IS HERE..NO TO succession AND restructuring.

Revolution ko revelation ni grin

Welcome to Biafra biggy

108 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Warship: 5:35am On Jul 05, 2017
Nigeria is dead and buried by Fulani herdsmen and Buhari

117 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Ogbuefi2020: 5:37am On Jul 05, 2017
Is Olisa Agbokabo a miscreant??

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by 989900: 5:46am On Jul 05, 2017
And this is a learned fellow?!
cry

#crapola

Agbakoba obviously has not been following, or is just plain dumb trying to be smart-by-half, or wants a job.

The video when he came to the US soliciting for funds for arms and insinuating he has backing of some countries already is incriminating enough.
I'm glad most smart and intelligent Igbos at the meeting asked him thought provoking questions, questions he could not provide intelligent answers to . . . glad they all quickly distanced themselves from him . . . they clearly told him this is tantamount to treason!

Secondly, Agbakoba (and I had some respect for the man) trying to downplay the criminal vitriol of the Arewas, is even more senseless (considering every Nigerian has a right to live in any part of this country) . . . equating it to some 'leave my house' order is as st00pid as a man can get.

I mean these are men who legally own properties in that part of the country, lived there for ages, some were actually given birth to there. However, Agbakoba thinks an ultimatum to leave or face genocide is legal.

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Godfullsam(m): 5:49am On Jul 05, 2017
Stupidity is when you when you want to break away from a country and quit notice is giving you a sleepless night.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Warship: 5:49am On Jul 05, 2017
Ogbuefi2020:
Is Olisa Agbokabo a miscreant??

Afonjas pls answer the question.

112 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by EzeUche(m): 5:53am On Jul 05, 2017
Godfullsam:
Stupidity is when you when you want to break away from a country and quit notice is giving you a sleepless night.

The Quit Notice just shows Nigeria is a failed state or zoo like Nnamdi Kanu has said.

Igbos ask for peaceful referendum and people are threatening us with fire and brimstone.

It shows who is civilized and who are uncivilized.

198 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by BekeeBuAgbara: 6:02am On Jul 05, 2017
I don't know the reason some people talk as if it's a taboo for Biafra to secede, after all when the United Nations was founded in 1945 it has only 51 member countries, today it has increased to 193 countries.

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by hilroy: 6:05am On Jul 05, 2017
EzeUche:

The Quit Notice just shows Nigeria is a failed state or zoo like Nnamdi Kanu has said.

Igbos ask for peaceful referendum and people are threatening us with fire and brimstone.

It shows who is civilized and who are uncivilized.

When the foolish Cownu was insulting other tribes, I guess your ears were on holiday. You guys want secession, and you must get it. The animosity awaiting you in Southwest will be the most brutal and the most unexpected.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by profhezekiah: 6:05am On Jul 05, 2017
Warship:

Afonjas pls answer the question.

7 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by EzeUche(m): 6:09am On Jul 05, 2017
hilroy:

When the foolish Cownu was insulting other tribes, I guess your ears were on holiday. You guys want secession, and you must get that it. The animosity awaiting you in Southwest will be the most brutal and the most unexpected

Will you keep quiet!

Face North first who insults your region daily Afonja before you bare your teeth at the peaceful Igbo.

129 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by hilroy: 6:10am On Jul 05, 2017
sekxy:

painment...rat poison is very affordable

Don't worry, we shall know the tribe that will suffer the most casualties when the time comes

11 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Warship: 6:12am On Jul 05, 2017
hilroy:

Don't worry, we shall know the tribe that will suffer the most casualties when the time comes

What stops you guys from making your own Ibadan Declaration

Pls hurry up about it so that we can be sure you guys aren't cowards

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by alcmene: 6:14am On Jul 05, 2017
But I thought IPOB is made up of illiterate youths and Okada riders

120 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by dudebuck: 6:15am On Jul 05, 2017
Godfullsam:
Go and read it again. He said while it is POLITICALLY incorrect for them to say igbo should leave, there is NO LEGAL BASIS FOR ARRESTING the Arewa youths, that is to say, if someone says leave my house, why should he or she be arrested for telling you to leave his house? So how does he get the sleepness night? Maybe you should ask your English teacher for a refund.

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by yang(m): 6:15am On Jul 05, 2017
Make everybody answer their father name for this zoo

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Nonaira1: 6:27am On Jul 05, 2017
hilroy:

When the foolish Cownu was insulting other tribes, I guess your ears were on holiday. You guys want secession, and you must get it. The animosity awaiting you in Southwest will be the most brutal and the most unexpected.

Of course the oba speech of drowning igbo ( happened before nnamdi spoke anything about afonja) is pure love. The killing of igbo in North on multiple occasions since 2000 is pure love. Buhari 5th comment is also pure love.
Afonja applauding and wishing death to Massob each time they were reported killed (all happened before Nnamdi spoke) is also pure undiluted love.
A yoruba doctor and a yoruba on Twitter ( before nnamdi spoke) asking for genocide of igbo is pure love

It's only Nnamdi Kanu giving you back wtf you dish is the hate.
Ndi ara

Animals.
You dish hatred and yet expect igbo to cotinge being the passive people you wish us to be.
Like we said before and we'll say it again...we ain't our parents and grandparents. We are awake and see you people hate speeches and we'll be giving it back x10. We will continue to dish back wtf you give and won't apologize for it. If it hurts una, cry us a river

150 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by hilroy: 6:35am On Jul 05, 2017
Nonaira1:

Of course the oba speech of drowning igbo ( happened before nnamdi spoke anything about afonja) is pure love. The killing of igbo in North on multiple occasions since 2000 is pure love. Buhari 5th comment is also pure love.
Afonja applauding and wishing death to Massob each time they were reported killed (all happened before Nnamdi spoke) is also pure undiluted love.
A yoruba doctor and a yoruba on Twitter asking for genocide of igbo is pure love

Ndi ara

Animals.
You dish hatred and yet expect igbo to cotinge being the passive people you wish us to be.
Like we said before and we'll say it again...we ain't our parents and grandparents. We are awake and see you people hate speeches and we'll be giving it back x10. We will continue to dish back wtf you give and won't apologize for it. If it hurts una, cry us a river

For every 1 Yoruba man in Alaigbo, there are 500 Igbos in Yorubaland. Put that number at the back of your mind. The animosity this time is strong and real.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by hucienda: 6:39am On Jul 05, 2017
Buh- but- bu- I thought some pseudo intellectuals are saying that Nnamdi Kanu is leading a movement of illiterates and riff-raffs? undecided

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by rusher14: 6:41am On Jul 05, 2017
The quit notice is therefore in order.

Time for Ibos to leave.

10 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Diademk07: 6:45am On Jul 05, 2017
Nonaira1:

A yoruba doctor and a yoruba on Twitter ( before nnamdi spoke) asking for genocide of igbo is pure love

Ndi ara

Animals.

What's this one saying?

Did you mean Doctor Ariyo telling the ibos to vacate Lagos for their biafra after ibos denigrated his ancestral land by calling it a "no mans' land is a hate speech? Did he ask for the Ibo to be killed? He only asked the Ibos to leave Lagos for their Enugu and aba if you folks can't survive without insulting your host everywhere. That's no hate, dummy but someone who was fed up of your stupidity on his land!

And who's this twitter guy we don't even know of!

The point is Yoruba didn't come out en mass to support some nonentity's hate speeches like how ibo crowds massively supported that illiterate called Kanu? Even Oba Akinolu was criticised and called to order by the Yoruba elders until he came out to say it was a joke!

Ikechu, better go back to your Youtube to read more about your foolishness!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Warship: 6:45am On Jul 05, 2017
rusher14:
The quit notice is therefore in order.

Time for Ibos to leave.

You guys are cowards if you don't keep to your threat

October 1st is around the corner

Let me sharpen my camera to take evidence to the UN

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by Dreambeat: 6:46am On Jul 05, 2017
Good one.One after the other,the Igbo elites will start accepting the truth.Gradually we are getting there.Long live Nnamdi Kanu.Long live Biafra.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by omenka(m): 6:51am On Jul 05, 2017
The legal luminary addressed journalists in Lagos on Tuesday at his Ikoyi office on “The future of Nigeria
Some of the people who've benefited the most from a united Nigeria are those calling for her destruction. If this man believes so much in the biafran course, what is he doing with an office in Lagos?

He calls himself a legal luminary yet fails to understand the very simplest of legal matters which is that the constitution of a sovereign state is SUPREME to any domestic or foreign charters or legal instruments.

I have never and will never be against anyone getting their desired country, but strongly against them going about it the way Kanu and his fans are.

The only thing they seem to be relying on at the moment and using to galvanise their supporters is HATE, and once you seem not to buy their narrative you automatically become a subject they must hate!

It is really absurd and unfortunate.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Rejects Restructuring, Backs Nnamdi Kanu by policy12: 6:52am On Jul 05, 2017
Abeg let them have the Biafra we all know when Sudan started there case btw north and south sudan , while the whole world see North Sudan has the architect of their woes, the UN made a resolution and a new country was created since then the south Sudan has never known peace, from one crises to another..I wish this request can be granted and everybody goes their separate ways.

All this people shouting separation I know very sure won't keep their family in the separate regions if we eventually divide rather they will put their family in abroad, in a safe place and leave those without means to champion the revolution.

Naija why can't we borrow a leave from Rwanda , let have a referendum and bare our grievances ,then make a resolution for the way forward those who want one naija should stay with strict and adherences to law and those who don't want to stay should go their way after all 20 Children can't play for 20years.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerians Fuss As Arab Guy Whose Account Many Mistake For NASS Tweets In Pidgin / Picture Of Atiku Abubakar At AriseTV Presidential Townhall Series 3 / FBI Is Expected To Release 2,500 Records On Tinubu - UberFacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.