Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant (2573 Views)

In Response to Laura Ikeji’s Lashers:Does Flogging Make Children Turn out Better / Holiday For Children: 8 Ways To Make Children Enjoy Their Holiday / Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2017
UNDERSTANDING THE FACTORS THAT MAKE CHILDREN BRILLIANT

This is a long article but you cant raise smart kids if you wont read so lets go lovely parents

Every parent I have met wants a brilliant child and I have also met some that would get enraged if a child comes back with a subpar report card and even go as far as beating a child that isn’t doing fantastic in class.

I always wonder why they do that because the truth is there are a lot of factors that make a child brilliant and very few of them depends on the child.

In fact I can say the only factor that depends on the child is concentration and seriousness.

Every other thing including the ability to think, assimilate, read, memorize, prepare and a host of others fall under the purview of the parents whether consciously or unconsciously.

WITH THAT SAID WE WILL LOOK AT THE LONG HELD NATURE VERSUS NURTURE DEBATE.

The Nature debate says a child that has the genes of parents who were average students will most likely be an average student.

The Nature debate backed by in fact a lot of scientific debate says that a child picks a huge chunk of his brain power from the mother.

Another thing a child picks from the parents is the memory power.

So if you were forgetful as a child, there is a big probability that your child would be due a gene scientists refer to as the brain-derived neurotrophic factor.

The gene comes in two forms and if parents pass the weak version of this cell to their child the child might be forgetful and read only to forget quickly.

Thankfully there is the nurture part of the argument that says a child’s brilliance can still shine forth despite what nature bestowed the child if the parents use some special skills to raise the child.

These skills have been used repeatedly in developed countries and are open for parents that are willing to learn and put the knowledge to practice.

These skills aren’t just gimmicks that your child can use in school because let’s face it; school is just a tiny part of the huge part to success.

You will learn lessons here that your child will need for a lot of other spheres of life.

These skills are what I will be teaching you in this group, here are a few of them broken down into simple concepts.

ENCOURAGE AN EARLY THIRST FOR KNOWLEDGE
Steve Jobs step dad taught him about electronics when he was a toddler, Oprah Winfrey’s grandmother taught her how to read when she was three.

Tiger Woods was playing golf when he was two and this early introduction to knowledge is what I rarely see in Nigeria.
When a child is a toddler here he is either in front of a TV all day which isn’t great for his brain’s development or is in a day care sleeping all day.

Here is the advantage some successful people have; they were raised to start incorporating information pertinent to their lives early so they grew up loving knowledge and that has helped them a great deal.

The truth is a child you read story books with as a toddler will love to read more as a grown up than a child that watched African Magic all day as a child.

ENCOURAGE QUESTIONS.

There is a phase in a child’s life that is characterized by a lot of questions and that phase is a very important part of your child’s life.

Your child’s brain is at the opinion phase where it is forming opinion about a lot of things it can’t explain.

It is also a time when your child’s mind is stretching and sadly a time some parents kill their child’s mind.

You see parent frustrated by the questions a child asks explode and say don’t disturb me!

When you do that you just killed the flame of curiosity that leads to brilliance and Albert Einstein once said ‘’Never lose a holy curiosity’’

Answer their questions no matter how much and use the opportunity to give them brain twisters.

For instance a child might say Daddy or Mummy why don’t you go to my school?

You might answer and say I am too old for your school but do you know there is a type of school I can still go to? Think of the answer and tell me later.

You are forcing your child to think and that believe me is the greatest skill on earth, the ability to think!

Thinking is the currency of the brilliant and successful and that is why Henry Ford said 'Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason so few engage in it.

TALK
Many times we just assume talking is that thing we do to communicate.

It is so much than that; it is a tool to transfer brilliance especially to little children.

The next time you are with a little child, tell the child that is the television it is spelt T E L E V I S I ON and that is the car it is spelt CAR.

Tell the child those are four books 2+2 is four and 2x2 is four.
Do this repeatedly and I promise you your child is on his way to brilliance

NEVER MAKE LEARNING SEEM LIKE A CHORE

The reason many children hate reading is because they have come to see it like it is work.

There are games like Scrabble, Ludo, Whot and Monopoly that are good for learning early Math and English that you should play with your kids.

These will put it in their minds that learning is fun and they will grow to see the importance.

SLEEP

A sleep deprived child will never be brilliant because his or her brain isn’t getting enough rest.
This will lead to weak memory and short attention span which equals scoring zero in class.

HERE IS THE SLEEP CHART SCIENCE AGREES WITH
Newborn to 3 months old 14 - 17 hrs
4 to 11 months old 12 - 15 hrs
1 to 2 years old 11 - 14 hrs
3 to 5 years old 10 - 13 hrs
6 to 13 years old 9 - 11 hrs

Thank you for reading this, keep in touch because there will be more.
This article is acf publication of the raise genius kids group.

If this article touched you why don’t you share with your friend by copy and pasting and sharing with your friends?

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by olatola00(m): 1:58pm On Jul 05, 2017
I would have loved to read it but.. The chapters are too much
Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 05, 2017
Read it in batches,

It might make your child today or tomorrow.

Most things written up there made me.

Especially the reading aspect.

You need it.
Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 05, 2017
Well said op. Well, I think genes plays a major factor in one's brilliance, that's why I can't marry an olodo for a husband 'cause he may pass it on to my kids which I don't want. cheesy I have seen cases where no matter the teaching approach used, the child still remains dumb, and he took after his dad. cheesy
Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 05, 2017
Benita27:
Well said op. Well, I think genes plays a major factor in one's brilliance, that's why I can't marry an olodo for a husband 'cause he may pass it on to my kids which I don't want. cheesy I have seen cases where no matter the teaching approach used, the child still remains dumb, and he took after his dad. cheesy

Hahahahahahahaha

But contrary to your Opinion, guys should be the one scared of marrying an OLODO WIFE, because it has been scientifically proven that children take after their mother's intelligence Quotient (IQ)

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by RuggedArab: 9:56pm On Jul 05, 2017
Benita27:

Must it be the dad? What if it's from the moms mother or moms grandfather or something.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 05, 2017
RuggedArab:

Must it be the dad? What if it's from the moms mother or moms grandfather or something.
It happens too, but to be on a safer side I'm more concerned about the man. grin
Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by RuggedArab: 10:15pm On Jul 05, 2017
Benita27:
It happens too, but to be on a safer side I'm more concerned about the man. grin

Me I'm concerned about the lineage.
Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Cuddlebugie(f): 10:33pm On Jul 05, 2017
Benita27:

For the sake of your unborn child(ren), i hope you are not an 'olodo'?

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 05, 2017
Cuddlebugie:

For the sake of your unborn child(ren), i hope you are not an 'olodo'?
Will I be asking for what I can't give?.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by ImaIma1(f): 1:51pm On Jul 06, 2017
obikirinoni:

Hahahahahahahaha

But contrary to your Opinion, guys should be the one scared of marrying an OLODO WIFE, because it has been scientifically proven that children take after their mother's intelligence Quotient (IQ)

Ahhh!! And i want my kids to take my husband's brain o. Too hot!!

Very informative article. To think that i talked about this last night. About developing the child from small and not looking at them as too young..."omode".

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Acidosis(m): 2:19pm On Jul 06, 2017
I think it is better to pursue and nurture their TALENTS, than run after brilliance which we end up interpreting as "1st position in class".

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by DarkRebel69: 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2017
This is one instructive article.

What many people, what parents, fail to realise is that that line demarcating natural genius and “artificial genius which is acquired from faithful commitment to training and study” is a rather thin and blurry one.

I can matter-of-factly conclude that nurture (and the environmetal stimuli to which the child has been subjected to in its preverbal and pre-adult stage) has a more far-reaching influence, and plays a more critical role than nature in the cognitive development of any child.

Every child born (without any cognitive disorder) is a potential Newton, or Einstein, or Boticelli. Enviromental conditions either aid in flourishing that latent genius, or in causing it to diminish and never living up to its potential.

But of course, there are those “one in a million genetic quirks” who still exhibit profound ingenuity regardless of the enviromental disadvantages that besetted them in their pre-adult life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 06, 2017
ImaIma1:

Ahhh!! And i want my kids to take my husband's brain o. Too hot!!

Very informative article. To think that i talked about this last night. About developing the child from small and not looking at them as too young..."omode".

Work at it.

Your Children will thank you for it.

My mother played a major role in my reading life.
Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by blinkz4real: 10:02pm On Jul 06, 2017
Good article, that's y I took out time 2 marry my wife cos I new long tym ago dt my children's intelligence 2 a large extent ll com frm deir mom. Even me sef no Sabi book near my wife, me jst sharp nih.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by ahnie: 10:28am On Jul 07, 2017
God bless you op

My daughter z 2years but she x brilliant(home schooled)for now.she x very inquisitive,asks questions alot,knows all the alphabet sounds,reads numbers 0-37 for now,tho i intend to push further.recites the national anthem fluently,state n capital inclusive,we are currently in 4 letter words n spellings.knows the name of the president of america/nigeria inclusive.she can also spot n differentiate colours.she x also trying to write number 3.

My husband and I plan enrolling her in school when she clocks 4years.my question z...z that age too late for her to start school?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:33am On Jul 07, 2017
No one is born dumb or dull. We are all products of our environment. I think the right environment and education plays a very large role in how brilliant a child will become.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 08, 2017
ahnie:
God bless you op

My daughter z 2years but she x brilliant(home schooled)for now.she x very inquisitive,asks questions alot,knows all the alphabet sounds,reads numbers 0-37 for now,tho i intend to push further.recites the national anthem fluently,state n capital inclusive,we are currently in 4 letter words n spellings.knows the name of the president of america/nigeria inclusive.she can also spot n differentiate colours.she x also trying to write number 3.

My husband and I plan enrolling her in school when she clocks 4years.my question z...z that age too late for her to start school?

Nope, since you still make out time to teach her.

The only area she may lack a bit is the interaction with other children.

That is if she is your only child for now.
Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by ahnie: 12:42pm On Jul 08, 2017
obikirinoni:

Nope, since you still make out time to teach her.

The only area she may lack a bit is the interaction with other children.

That is if she is your only child for now.
thanks

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Rayfield: 2:26pm On Jul 08, 2017
My future children must be Brilliant, Smart and Intelligent... There's always a way out.
Well done OP.
Ride on....

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Factors That Make Children Brilliant by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 08, 2017
tensazangetsu20:
No one is born dumb or dull. We are all products of our environment. I think the right environment and education plays a very large role in how brilliant a child will become.

Environment is key

(1) (Reply)

Why Paternity Fraud Will Never Stop (My Humble Opinion) / When Was The Last Time You Visited Your Hometown and When will you visit again? / The Legacy Of Mother Theresa; 20 Facts About This Great Woman.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.