Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know (42299 Views)

5 Pros And Cons Of Buying A New Car For Now(for you to Be Financially Conscious) / Tips On Buying A Used Mercedes Benz Car - The Pros And Cons / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Infiniti FX? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by AutoReportNG: 12:04pm On Jul 06, 2017
Prior to the question earlier raised here about Uber business and how to go about it, we decided to do a post The Cons and Pros of Uber Business in Nigeria.

For those of you who have no idea what UBER was, a quick update.

Uber works via an app which you download onto your smartphone and then input your credit card details.

You can book an Uber taxi at any time of the day or night via the app, which provides details as to how long it will take for the Uber to reach you. You can even watch the taxi coming towards you on a screen. And possibly one of the best parts about Uber is that you don’t need to have any cash on you to pay for the trip as it’s automatically deducted from your credit card via the app.

Now, anyone can own an Uber taxi and anyone can become an Uber taxi driver. It has effectively democratized taxi ownership, you could say. So the question is, should you invest in owning an Uber taxi or maybe even more than one?

We will highlight some PROs and CONs of the business to all who may have interest in the business. Uber has been in the news lately particularly in the area of drivers, kidnapping, robbery etc. we are not looking into that areas for now, we are concerned about the variability of the business and its profitability. UBER business is very profitable for drivers in Lagos and Abuja been the urban city. Lagos with a population of about 18million people and with the kind of transportation in the city, you are in for a good cash.

Requirements of Drivers

* Drivers Licence: this can be obtained from the FRSC.
* Lagos state drivers institute ID card: this can be obtained from the Lagos State Drivers Institute.
* Background check: this is carried out after the driver has been accepted and has completed the training. It costs ₦20,000 but can be paid in 5 installments of ₦4,000 each. It is a check Uber carries out with the police, which demonstrates that you have no criminal convictions or charges against your name, and is for the safety of passengers.
* Contract agreement between the driver and the owner, this is if you are not the owner of the car you are driving.

In order to become an UberX driver, you must:

1. Have a newer, 4-door vehicle that passes any required state inspection,
2. You must be able to provide proof of insurance,
3. You must have a clean driving record, and
4. You must pass a criminal background check.

Once approved, you download the Uber Partner app to your Android or iPhone, turn it on, and start accepting riders.

Pros of uber driving

Ultimate flexibility
An Uber driver can work as much or as little as they want. The phone/application can be turned on at any time to work and turned off just as eaily. Thus the driver creates their own schedule on the fly.

No boss overseeing
Although there is a manager for the drivers and sometimes they do give suggestions or pass on critique, for the most part there is no boss saying what to do and when. A driver is on their own prerogative to go where they please when they please. A drivers boss at times can be more the passengers. A driver has to maintain a 4.5 or above rating to not be cut from driving. While riders can get bossy at times, the good thing is it's not long before they are dropped off. The driver rates the passengers as well.

Meeting new people
There are people using Uber around town for all kinds of reasons. You might find there is a general demographic; but you will encounter all types of people of all ages using Uber to get around. Every person that gets in the drivers car creates an opportunity for social interaction.

Seeing new things
As people go to different places for different reasons you will get to see neighborhoods you didn't know about, hear of new events you didn't know were going on, and become more aware of the city that you drive in.

Listening to music or news while you work
Not all jobs allow a worker to listen to the stereo while they work. Although a driver should be conscious of what sounds might disturb a rider, generally listening to the stereo is admissible.

Free Time
Nothing makes a family man more happy than having time for his wife and kids. With Uber, you can decide to work at any time you wish to work, you can visit your kids at school, your wife at her shop and even attend to family issues that may require your attention.

Disadvantages of Uber Driving

Work/fares can be slow when you want them to be busy
There can be times when a driver wants to be taking fares and making money but the requets are low or there are too many drivers compared to passengers. It can be frustrating to want to work and be on-call but not be getting any.

An ineffective rating system
Customers rate a driver 1 to 5 stars, and unfortunately for drivers, a 4 star average is failing and being terminated.

No interaction with fellow employees
While it can be great to be working solo, at times a driver might want to communicate with other drivers. Uber doesn't provide a way for Drivers to interact.

Little recognition from the management/boss
The higher ups at Uber don't do much to recognize good performance of their drivers. You either are doing fine, or you are getting cut. In addition an individual drivers opinion or request can be very minute to the management.

Wear and tear on car
Drivers are responsible for all car expenses. This can add up to significant added depreciation and maintenance/repairs on a vehicle.

Seeing different characteristics of people
Drunk people can also be totally obnoxious and unreasonable. A lot of people take transportation to avoid drinking and driving. Although we sincerely believe that is the right thing to do, being ridiculously belligerent is not. Take for example club goers at Quilox, and those night crawlers.

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/07/uber-driving-analyzing-pros-and-cons.html

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by AutoReportNG: 12:05pm On Jul 06, 2017
Do you have any more points? Please be kind to add more

See more here...

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by dulux07(m): 12:24pm On Jul 06, 2017
Nice write up.
How are the drivers being paid?
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by AutoReportNG: 12:29pm On Jul 06, 2017
dulux07:
Nice write up.
How are the drivers being paid?

Let me leave others to talk on this... The plan is to make it interactive...

2 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by RichFoundation(m): 2:40pm On Jul 06, 2017
J
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 06, 2017
Check out my signature.

1 Like

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Flexherbal(m): 2:42pm On Jul 06, 2017
Ok
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 06, 2017
Trust me... uber is not for the faint hearted...

My story....

My uber driver bailed on me after the reduction on fares..

Decided to drive it myself to see how it goes...
Got to the filling station, filled my car with N10,000

Activated the trip metre as i had registered myself finally the previous day.

Long story short...

At the end of the day
I had spent:
Fuel - N10,000
Car wash - N1,000 (after 14hrs driving, you can barely lift a sponge talk more of washing a car at 8pm or later)
Panadol - N200 (very important)(or to okada rider to you a path as the uber map are sometimes unreliable)
Toll gates to pick ups - N500
Feeding - N1000 (2 square)
I had been driving round lagos for 14hrs total..
An increased mileage of 135miles (est from lagos to benin).

I calculated my cost...
I service my car at 3000 miles with mobile 1.
@ 135 miles a day i should service approx every month. Which cost me 30k(6 ltr) with filter. And workmanship approx. (Note 3,000 miles is approx from lagos to portharcourt 6 times)

Divide that, approx 1k per day on service, my a/c was on all through, my engine was on virtually all through as uber kept linking trips before the previous ends.

Well.. i made almost 19k that day after exhausting the fuel to reserve.
But i had spent - N14,000 including service forcast. Excluding forcast repair major/minor

I had serious back pain and slimmed out in hours.. my linkages were worn out and i knew my a/c might fail at such pressures, talk more of the engine that adds approx 150miles every day coupled with exposure to dents.

I calculated my income after expense to know if it could buy another car before this one dies off. I had made just N5,000 assumed profit after 14hrs driving."God forbid" after 30% uber fee deduction on all fares..

I told my self the truth and appreciated the driver..

Its good yeah, but trust me, its not for the FAINT HEARTED with the current review.

A rider took me from lekki ph 1 to deep deep egbeda, the trip was N4,500 at 8pm (i was naive and never knew uber drivers call to reject trips). had to drive back to the island alone.. its was penny wise, pound foolish.

The snap shot above was for the old price, would rather drive a danfo bus or trailer than opt to drive uber now.

64 Likes 9 Shares

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by free2ryhme: 2:42pm On Jul 06, 2017
Pros and cons how many was invented by nigerians

Na to dey carry una paper certificate to analyse oyinbo man invention

Nothing wey una sabi

11 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by bunjosep(m): 2:43pm On Jul 06, 2017
nice thread OP...
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Umehnnamdi(m): 2:43pm On Jul 06, 2017
grin
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by dfrost: 2:43pm On Jul 06, 2017
wink
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by free2ryhme: 2:44pm On Jul 06, 2017
Make una let us hear word jare

How many uber vehicles do u have
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by free2ryhme: 2:44pm On Jul 06, 2017
Emmyfixed23:
Yes we made it. yesterday's VIP Game went as planned glory be to God Almighty for his goodness as am here with my sure odds for today to subscribe or get our games call or Whatsapp me view the image below for more details note no free no after only meant for serious minded people only

Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole

17 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by dayleke: 2:44pm On Jul 06, 2017
Uber is ok
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 06, 2017
no shhhhhhht
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Alanzazani: 2:46pm On Jul 06, 2017
How much does an Abuja Uber driver rake in on an average weekly
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by NairalandCS(m): 2:47pm On Jul 06, 2017
free2ryhme:

Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole

12 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by eherbal(m): 2:54pm On Jul 06, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Let me leave others to talk on this... The plan is to make it interactive...
like seriously,how are the drivers paid?
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 06, 2017
eherbal:
like seriously,how are the drivers paid?
the driver registers his account number and then money is transferred for every trip confirmed driven.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2017
uber is not even in PH self.

look like say the thing go expensive die.
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Tripleoluwa(m): 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2017
How about an intending driver that is not much acquainted with much of Lagos roads?
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2017
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by cyprex: 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2017
This is very educating. please do Uber accept cars of 2003 model? Eg 2003 Honda Civic?

2 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Awho(m): 2:56pm On Jul 06, 2017
how are uber drivers paid
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by AutoReportNG: 3:04pm On Jul 06, 2017
masonkz:
Please guys in the Uber biz, how much do the car owners get per week? Need to know if my driver is cheating me by giving me 30k per week . angry Cos I might need to change driver angry.

I understand that Uber slashed its prices sometime ago, but is 30k per week the average that car owners get? Thanks.

Maybe you need to contact UBER on this. I understand a driver can make 30k in a day, so delivering 30k a week... Ayam not understanding

1 Like

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by lonelydora: 3:06pm On Jul 06, 2017
Since last year September, we in Port Harcourt have been waiting for them to enter PH. I even called one of their reps he said they will come before the end of first quarter. I don't know what's happening again.

The Asian man in Dana Motors has been disturbing my life to come and buy the Kia Rio I inquired about. He is not aware it's Uber I'm waiting for. Now, dollar is just messing up, the amount has doubled.

PamDrive is making a lot of cash in PH now. It works just like Uber. The owner of PamDrive is a real business man.

2 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by IamRespected: 3:19pm On Jul 06, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Maybe you need to contact UBER on this. I understand a driver can make 30k in a day, so delivering 30k a week... Ayam not understanding
Did you also remove maintenance and co from that 30k? The question is how much profit do drivers make in a day

3 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by cogbuagu: 3:19pm On Jul 06, 2017
I am an Uber Driver.
Since uber reduced their fare by 40%, I hardly drive all day. I only do it just to feed my self. I nolonger see it profitable . I don't see it taking me to another level or something I can call a good job found.

It seen Uber noticed that I don't drive like I do before, they decided to give me a promo last week, thinking I can't meet up.

The promo was to complete 60 trips to earn 25k more.
Conditions were: 80% acceptance and 50% completed trip.

Finally, I met and exceeded this above conditions and completed 60 trips. I got a congratulating message from them.

The next day, i got a message tellinf me that they found improper use of the app from me. Therefore, they will not pay at all. What exactly I did was not stated.
To me, This a big SCAM!!

I have written them several times, they ignored all my mail.
I have also gone to their office twice in Lekki phase 1 and they found no wrong doing from my side. All I was told, was to send mail. I have sent so many email to uber and up Till date I have not gotten any response from them.

All other complain not concerning this, they respond but for the promo, they refused paying me till date.

I'm greatly disappointed and I feel scammed by Uber.
For this reason, I will not part take in any of their promo again because I now see it as a big SCAM.

35 Likes 6 Shares

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Krucifax(m): 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2017
Esseite:
Trust me... uber is not for the faint hearted...

My story....

My uber driver bailed on me after the reduction on fairs..

Decided to drive it myself to see how it goes...
Got to the filling station, filled my car with N10,000

Activated the trip metre as i had registered myself finally the previous day.

Long story short...

At the end of the day
I had spent:
Fuel - N10,000
Car wash - N1,000
Panadol - N200 (very important)
Toll gates to pick ups - N500
Feeding - N1000 (2 square)
I had been driving round lagos for 14hrs total..
An increased mileage of 135miles (est from lagos to benin).

I calculated my cost...
I service my car at 3000 miles with mobile 1.
@ 135 miles a day i should service approx every month. Which cost me 30k(6 ltr) with filter. And workmanship approx.

Divide that, approx 1k per day on service, my a/c was on all through, my engine was on virtually all through as uber kept linking trips before the previous ends.

Well.. i made almost 19k that day after exhausting the fuel to reserve.
But i had spent - N14,000 including service forcast. Excluding forcast repair major/minor

I had serious back pain and slimmed out in hours.. my linkages were worn out and i knew my a/c might fail at such pressures, talk more of the engine that adds approx 150miles every day coupled with exposure to dents.

I calculated my income after expense to know if it could buy another car before this one dies off. I had made just N5,000 assumed profit.

I told my self the truth and appreciated the driver..

Its good yeah, but trust me, its not for the FAINT HEARTED with the current review.

A rider took me from lekki ph 1 to deep deep egbeda, the trip was N4,500 at 8pm (i was naive and never knew uber drivers call to reject trips). had to drive back to the island alone.. its was penny wise, pound foolish.

The snap shot above was for the old price, would rather drive a danfo bus or trailer than opt to drive uber now.

Interesting insight and thanks for the information provided. I found a few potential cost reductions in your financial assessment.
1. Car Wash. = This is not a daily requirement. At least once a week should be sufficient saving you N6,000 @ N1,000 per wash.

2. Panadol = You don't need and should not take this every day. Also I'm guessing that the N200 is for the whole sachet or pack which I'm sure you are not taking the whole thing a day.

3. Car Services = Why are you servicing @ every 3000 miles?? Is that a contract condition for your warranty,lease or insurance?? It's absolutely not necessary not even for a public transport vehicle. Private vehicles should be serviced at least once a year. Commercial vehicles obviously have to be more regularly but not once a month. Thats a waste of money. At your current practise you are spending N360,000 per annum @ N30,000 per month.You can service your car once every two months saving N180,000 per annum.

The bit I don't know and was wondering if you can shed light on is potential post expenses earnings for car owners using the services of drivers for Uber.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2017
AutoReportNG:
Prior to the question earlier raised here about Uber business and how to go about it, we decided to do a post The Cons and Pros of Uber Business in Nigeria.

For those of you who have no idea what UBER was, a quick update.

Uber works via an app which you download onto your smartphone and then input your credit card details.

You can book an Uber taxi at any time of the day or night via the app, which provides details as to how long it will take for the Uber to reach you. You can even watch the taxi coming towards you on a screen. And possibly one of the best parts about Uber is that you don’t need to have any cash on you to pay for the trip as it’s automatically deducted from your credit card via the app.

Now, anyone can own an Uber taxi and anyone can become an Uber taxi driver. It has effectively democratized taxi ownership, you could say. So the question is, should you invest in owning an Uber taxi or maybe even more than one?

We will highlight some PROs and CONs of the business to all who may have interest in the business. Uber has been in the news lately particularly in the area of drivers, kidnapping, robbery etc. we are not looking into that areas for now, we are concerned about the variability of the business and its profitability. UBER business is very profitable for drivers in Lagos and Abuja been the urban city. Lagos with a population of about 18million people and with the kind of transportation in the city, you are in for a good cash.

Requirements of Drivers

* Drivers Licence: this can be obtained from the FRSC.
* Lagos state drivers institute ID card: this can be obtained from the Lagos State Drivers Institute.
* Background check: this is carried out after the driver has been accepted and has completed the training. It costs ₦20,000 but can be paid in 5 installments of ₦4,000 each. It is a check Uber carries out with the police, which demonstrates that you have no criminal convictions or charges against your name, and is for the safety of passengers.
* Contract agreement between the driver and the owner, this is if you are not the owner of the car you are driving.

In order to become an UberX driver, you must:

1. Have a newer, 4-door vehicle that passes any required state inspection,
2. You must be able to provide proof of insurance,
3. You must have a clean driving record, and
4. You must pass a criminal background check.

Once approved, you download the Uber Partner app to your Android or iPhone, turn it on, and start accepting riders.

Pros of uber driving

Ultimate flexibility
An Uber driver can work as much or as little as they want. The phone/application can be turned on at any time to work and turned off just as eaily. Thus the driver creates their own schedule on the fly.

No boss overseeing
Although there is a manager for the drivers and sometimes they do give suggestions or pass on critique, for the most part there is no boss saying what to do and when. A driver is on their own prerogative to go where they please when they please. A drivers boss at times can be more the passengers. A driver has to maintain a 4.5 or above rating to not be cut from driving. While riders can get bossy at times, the good thing is it's not long before they are dropped off. The driver rates the passengers as well.

Meeting new people
There are people using Uber around town for all kinds of reasons. You might find there is a general demographic; but you will encounter all types of people of all ages using Uber to get around. Every person that gets in the drivers car creates an opportunity for social interaction.

Seeing new things
As people go to different places for different reasons you will get to see neighborhoods you didn't know about, hear of new events you didn't know were going on, and become more aware of the city that you drive in.

Listening to music or news while you work
Not all jobs allow a worker to listen to the stereo while they work. Although a driver should be conscious of what sounds might disturb a rider, generally listening to the stereo is admissible.

Free Time
Nothing makes a family man more happy than having time for his wife and kids. With Uber, you can decide to work at any time you wish to work, you can visit your kids at school, your wife at her shop and even attend to family issues that may require your attention.

Disadvantages of Uber Driving

Work/fares can be slow when you want them to be busy
There can be times when a driver wants to be taking fares and making money but the requets are low or there are too many drivers compared to passengers. It can be frustrating to want to work and be on-call but not be getting any.

An ineffective rating system
Customers rate a driver 1 to 5 stars, and unfortunately for drivers, a 4 star average is failing and being terminated.

No interaction with fellow employees
While it can be great to be working solo, at times a driver might want to communicate with other drivers. Uber doesn't provide a way for Drivers to interact.

Little recognition from the management/boss
The higher ups at Uber don't do much to recognize good performance of their drivers. You either are doing fine, or you are getting cut. In addition an individual drivers opinion or request can be very minute to the management.

Wear and tear on car
Drivers are responsible for all car expenses. This can add up to significant added depreciation and maintenance/repairs on a vehicle.

Seeing different characteristics of people
Drunk people can also be totally obnoxious and unreasonable. A lot of people take transportation to avoid drinking and driving. Although we sincerely believe that is the right thing to do, being ridiculously belligerent is not. Take for example club goers at Quilox, and those night crawlers.

Source:

Clearly you're not a Uber driver

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What A Lagos Driver Was Seen Using As Side Mirror (photos) / 2018 Independence Drive: The Classic Cars That Graced Event (Photos) / Mark Zuckerberg Makes Money That Will Buy $2.5m Pagani In Just 1¹/2 Mins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.