Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know (42301 Views)

5 Pros And Cons Of Buying A New Car For Now(for you to Be Financially Conscious) / Tips On Buying A Used Mercedes Benz Car - The Pros And Cons / What Are The Pros And Cons Of Infiniti FX? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by TheAlchemist: 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2017
can a car with tinted glass be used for uber service?
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by lonelydora: 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2017
masonkz:
Please guys in the Uber biz, how much do the car owners get per week? Need to know if my driver is cheating me by giving me 30k per week . angry Cos I might need to change driver angry.

I understand that Uber slashed its prices sometime ago, but is 30k per week the average that car owners get? Thanks.

30k fair enough.
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by lonelydora: 3:28pm On Jul 06, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Maybe you need to contact UBER on this. I understand a driver can make 30k in a day, so delivering 30k a week... Ayam not understanding

Remove hus expenses from the 30k

1 Like

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 06, 2017
lonelydora:
Since last year September, we in Port Harcourt have been waiting for them to enter PH. I even called one of their reps he said they will come before the end of first quarter. I don't know what's happening again.

The Asian man in Dana Motors has been disturbing my life to come and buy the Kia Rio I inquired about. He is not aware it's Uber I'm waiting for. Now, dollar is just messing up, the amount has doubled.

PamDrive is making a lot of cash in PH now. It works just like Uber. The owner of PamDrive is a real business man.
why don't you want to buy the rio and use it for pamdrive?
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by lonelydora: 3:37pm On Jul 06, 2017
majekdom2:
why don't you want to buy the rio and use it for pamdrive?

Personal reasons. Will try with 2008 corolla which is coming soon. Rio is 6.5M now oooo.

1 Like

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 06, 2017
AutoReportNG:
Do you have any more points? Please be kind to add more

See more here...

http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/07/uber-driving-analyzing-pros-and-cons.html

Zero opportunity for social interaction on uber Nigeria.

People don't relate with drivers here, except the carrying of riders' luggages qualify as 'interaction'.
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2017
Krucifax:

Interesting insight and thanks for the information provided. I found a few potential cost reductions in your financial assessment.
1. Car Wash. = This is not a daily requirement. At least once a week should be sufficient saving you N6,000 @ N1,000 per wash.

2. Panadol = You don't need and should not take this every day. Also I'm guessing that the N200 is for the whole sachet or pack which I'm sure you are not taking the whole thing a day.

3. Car Services = Why are you servicing @ every 3000 miles?? Is that a contract condition for your warranty,lease or insurance?? It's absolutely not necessary not even for a public transport vehicle. Private vehicles should be serviced at least once a year. Commercial vehicles obviously have to be more regularly but not once a month. Thats a waste of money. At your current practise you are spending N360,000 per annum @ N30,000 per month.You can service your car once every two months saving N180,000 per annum.

The bit I don't know and was wondering if you can shed light on is potential post expenses earnings for car owners using the services of drivers for Uber.

1 - Well... you would not want to be driving to riders in a dirty car, moreover you come back exhausted and wash a car is the last thing on your mind.

2 - 14 hrs a day on the steering.. day 1 might just be panadol, day 2 could be something else.. it would have been worth it if you earned more. Moreover if the 200 does not go to panadol, it might go to okada's showing you the path to take and uber maps fail most times

3 - servicing 3,000 miles has been my auto ritual.. it had made my engine last really long without ever working on it.. previously without uber 3000 miles could take me 3 - 4mths, i really dont think i should skip that while driving with uberas 300% more pressure is being put on the engine..

Forcast major repairs - a/c compressor and its components..
- shocks,linkages, tyroid, steering racks, ball joints, arms and bushings, rollers and maybe engine eventually..

Minor forcast repairs - ac filters, plugs and noozles, battery, interior wash(dirty riders), minor dents, wipers.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Ifeshyne(f): 3:47pm On Jul 06, 2017
lonelydora:
Since last year September, we in Port Harcourt have been waiting for them to enter PH. I even called one of their reps he said they will come before the end of first quarter. I don't know what's happening again.

The Asian man in Dana Motors has been disturbing my life to come and buy the Kia Rio I inquired about. He is not aware it's Uber I'm waiting for. Now, dollar is just messing up, the amount has doubled.

PamDrive is making a lot of cash in PH now. It works just like Uber. The owner of PamDrive is a real business man.
I think you should get a Belgium Toyota, kia cars are not really strong and considering you want to use the car for uber, you know the wear and tear rate will be increased

2 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
lonelydora:

Personal reasons. Will try with 2008 corolla which is coming soon. Rio is 6.5M now oooo.
I am not sure Uber will come to PH. What's Pamdrive's least model of car?

3 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by dreamchaser14(m): 3:52pm On Jul 06, 2017
I'm a graduate of University of Lagos and a registered experienced Uber driver who is diligent, professional, cheerful and careful, in need of a partner(car owner) to work with on a rental or HP basis. I can be reached on 08122191803 anytime of the day to discuss further. Thank you.
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by linearity: 3:59pm On Jul 06, 2017
dulux07:
Nice write up.
How are the drivers being paid?

How you get paid depends on if you own the car or you are driving a partner's car.

If you own the car, you register an account directly with Uber. If driving in Nigeria, customers can either add debit/credit to their account and fares are deducted automatically saved to a 'pocket' by Uber. If the customer is cash-based, you have to collect the money from them after the service. The App keeps track of all monies and the balance is paid into your registered account at the start of each week for the previous week you worked.

I don't know how Uber does it, if the balance of the money are with you via cash collection versus debit/credit card paid customers...but Uber can program their App to balance that out, such that, the balance will always be in their favor by routing more debit/credit customers your way to offset the cash you already collected or anticipate to collect. Remember Uber takes their 25% off. You as the driver pays the tolls, but this is passed on to the customer, the good thing is, they also passed on a return toll (if applicable) to the customer.

If you drive for a partner, in addition to Uber's 25% off, you also have to enter into an agreement with the partner on his percentage cut...in this scenario, Uber pays the partner and the partner pays you base on you guys agreement.

The truth is, the way Uber fees are structured, even if you work your ass off, it is a high class low wage job, good enough to get by for the time being.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by dreamchaser14(m): 4:03pm On Jul 06, 2017
I'm a graduate of University of Lagos and a registered experienced Uber driver who is diligent, professional, cheerful and careful, in need of a partner(car owner) to work with on a rental or HP basis. I can be reached on 08122191803 anytime of the day to discuss further. Thank you.
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by dreamchaser14(m): 4:06pm On Jul 06, 2017
masonkz:
Please guys in the Uber biz, how much do the car owners get per week? Need to know if my driver is cheating me by giving me 30k per week . angry Cos I might need to change driver angry.

I understand that Uber slashed its prices sometime ago, but is 30k per week the average that car owners get? Thanks.

I can offer you 35k per week
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by oglalasioux(m): 4:35pm On Jul 06, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Maybe you need to contact UBER on this. I understand a driver can make 30k in a day, so delivering 30k a week... Ayam not understanding

30k a day? Gross or net? Lagos or Abuja?

Check your facts well before you mislead people. The average net profit for an uber car in Abuja is 50k per week minus incentives. No one makes more unless the driver is on the road for 24 hours. Drivers normally remit between 30 to 35k to the owner and take the rest including the incentives.

1 Like

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by nwaire: 4:39pm On Jul 06, 2017
Esseite:
Trust me... uber is not for the faint hearted...

My story....

My uber driver bailed on me after the reduction on fairs..

Decided to drive it myself to see how it goes...
Got to the filling station, filled my car with N10,000

Activated the trip metre as i had registered myself finally the previous day.

Long story short...

At the end of the day
I had spent:
Fuel - N10,000
Car wash - N1,000
Panadol - N200 (very important)
Toll gates to pick ups - N500
Feeding - N1000 (2 square)
Okada help to take you to riders as uber map unreliable - N200 (depends on how far the distance is)
I had been driving round lagos for 14hrs total..
An increased mileage of 135miles (est from lagos to benin).

I calculated my cost...
I service my car at 3000 miles with mobile 1.
@ 135 miles a day i should service approx every month. Which cost me 30k(6 ltr) with filter. And workmanship approx. (Note 3,000 miles is approx from lagos to portharcourt 6 times)

Divide that, approx 1k per day on service, my a/c was on all through, my engine was on virtually all through as uber kept linking trips before the previous ends.

Well.. i made almost 19k that day after exhausting the fuel to reserve.
But i had spent - N14,000 including service forcast. Excluding forcast repair major/minor

I had serious back pain and slimmed out in hours.. my linkages were worn out and i knew my a/c might fail at such pressures, talk more of the engine that adds approx 150miles every day coupled with exposure to dents.

I calculated my income after expense to know if it could buy another car before this one dies off. I had made just N5,000 assumed profit after 14hrs driving."God forbid"

I told my self the truth and appreciated the driver..

Its good yeah, but trust me, its not for the FAINT HEARTED with the current review.

A rider took me from lekki ph 1 to deep deep egbeda, the trip was N4,500 at 8pm (i was naive and never knew uber drivers call to reject trips). had to drive back to the island alone.. its was penny wise, pound foolish.

The snap shot above was for the old price, would rather drive a danfo bus or trailer than opt to drive uber now.

Nice analysis, you must be an accountant

4 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by AutoReportNG: 4:48pm On Jul 06, 2017
oglalasioux:

30k a day? Gross or net? Lagos or Abuja?

Check your facts well before you mislead people. The average net profit for an uber car in Abuja is 50k per week minus incentives. No one makes more unless the driver is on the road for 24 hours. Drivers normally remit between 30 to 35k to the owner and take the rest including the incentives.

Hmmm, I never put that in my post neither did I mislead people.. Pls check your facts right!!! I only put this base on what I saw a friend doing and I never concluded in my post. Please read in between the lines and don't let us be too quick to conclude, millions are reading our posts.

Have a lovely day.

1 Like

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Primebuilders(m): 4:57pm On Jul 06, 2017
dreamchaser14:

I can offer you 35k per week

U did not leave ur contact. This is my wassap no 07039863622
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by lexylexy(m): 5:21pm On Jul 06, 2017
cyprex:
This is very educating. please do Uber accept cars of 2003 model? Eg 2003 Honda Civic?

yes
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by lexylexy(m): 5:30pm On Jul 06, 2017
masonkz:

well, it depends. what model of car is it and what year? I was doing 40k with my former partner. Can do that for you as well. u can call, whatsapp or text me 08090969358. tanx
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 06, 2017
lonelydora:

30k fair enough.

Really? If that's the case then fine. Is that what yours delivers?
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 06, 2017
lexylexy:

well, it depends. what model of car is it and what year? I was doing 40k with my former partner. Can do that for you as well. u can call, whatsapp or text me 08090969358. tanx

It's a 2008 Corolla.

It depends on what exactly?
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by lexylexy(m): 5:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
masonkz:

It's a 2008 Corolla.

It depends on what exactly?

OK, good. can do 40k. sent you a pm or contact me whatsapp or call 08090969358.
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by dreamchaser14(m): 5:56pm On Jul 06, 2017
TheAlchemist:
can a car with tinted glass be used for uber service?

Yes, but you'll need to submit the tint permit along while registering the car on Uber
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by net7777(m): 7:25pm On Jul 06, 2017
Esseite:

My story....

My uber driver bailed on me after the reduction on fares..

Long story short...

At the end of the day
I had spent:
Fuel - N10,000
Car wash - N1,000 (after 14hrs driving, you can barely lift a sponge talk more of washing a car at 8pm or later)
Panadol - N200 (very important)(or to okada rider to you a path as the uber map are sometimes unreliable)

I calculated my cost...
@ 135 miles a day i should service approx every month. Which cost me 30k(6 ltr) with filter. And workmanship approx. (Note 3,000 miles is approx from lagos to portharcourt 6 times)

Divide that, approx 1k per day on service, my a/c was on all through, my engine was on virtually all through as uber kept linking trips before the previous ends.

But i had spent - N14,000 including service forcast. Excluding forcast repair major/minor

I had serious back pain and slimmed out in hours.. my linkages were worn out and i knew my a/c might fail at such pressures, talk more of the engine that adds approx 150miles every day coupled with exposure to dents.

I calculated my income after expense to know if it could buy another car before this one dies off. I had made just N5,000 assumed profit after 14hrs driving."God forbid" after 30% uber fee deduction on all fares..

Its good yeah, but trust me, its not for the FAINT HEARTED with the current review.

A rider took me from lekki ph 1 to deep deep egbeda, the trip was N4,500 at 8pm (i was naive and never knew uber drivers call to reject trips). had to drive back to the island alone.. its was penny wise, pound foolish.

The snap shot above was for the old price, would rather drive a danfo bus or trailer than opt to drive uber now.
That's why we added Taxify to augment the pay. And its paying off. Well I need a car to work with now.. If you don't mind I can pay u 30k weekly.. 07084916368
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by net7777(m): 7:28pm On Jul 06, 2017
If anyone promises you 40k weekly now,its deceit. 30 is what is obtainable now. So your driver is not cheating you. If u have another car I am ready to start asap. 07084916368
quote author=lexylexy post=58190836]

well, it depends. what model of car is it and what year? I was doing 40k with my former partner. Can do that for you as well. u can call, whatsapp or text me 08090969358. tanx[/quote]
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Iamzik: 7:31pm On Jul 06, 2017
Esseite:

My story....

Long story short...

At the end of the day
I had spent:
Fuel - N10,000
Car wash - N1,000 (after 14hrs driving, you can barely lift a sponge talk more of washing a car at 8pm or later)
Panadol - N200 (very important)(or to okada rider to you a path as the uber map are sometimes unreliable)

I calculated my cost...

I calculated my income after expense to know if it could buy another car before this one dies off. I had made just N5,000 assumed profit after 14hrs driving."God forbid" after 30% uber fee deduction on all fares..

You kept quoting your distance in miles. Or do you mean kilometers?
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by net7777(m): 7:44pm On Jul 06, 2017
I am an experienced driver,a graduate and I have been on d uber platform since last year October. I need a new partner to work with. 30k weekly for rental and 150k monthly for HP with no stories. If u r ready to pair me call or WhatsApp me on 07084916368
Gbenga
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by bencarson007(m): 8:24pm On Jul 06, 2017
Esseite:

My story....

Long story short...

At the end of the day
I had spent:
Fuel - N10,000

I calculated my cost...

Good evening
Can you send me a PM let's discuss privately about this same transport business
My name is Oghenerukevwe Benjamin by the way
Hoping to hear from you
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by hush15: 8:24pm On Jul 06, 2017
AutoReportNG:

Autojosh....

I appreciate your post but pls, this is false information. I am an uber driver and I can tell you things are different from what you just listed.

If it was early this year and if you posted this then, would have made sense but as at today, if you are not the owner of your vehicle n drive it yourself, then don't drive uber...

It's dat simple.

5 Likes

Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by AutoReportNG: 8:30pm On Jul 06, 2017
hush15:

Autojosh....

I appreciate your post but pls, this is false information. I am an uber driver and I can tell you things are different from what you just listed.

If it was early this year and if you posted this then, would have made sense but as at today, if you are not the owner of your vehicle n drive it yourself, then don't drive uber...

It's dat simple.

Its AutoReportNG pls,

Actually, I was told of this early this year, that's why I am kinda skeptical...

God bless our hustle
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jul 06, 2017
Guys be advised to use taxify, Taxify is cheaper than uber....I am not a salary earner but I entered taxify 4times this week.. and they re very good, I rated their drivers 5stars...they know all the routes. also try max-go for power bikes..its awesome...I think I have used it once last week...it was really badass
Re: UBER Driving: Analyzing The Pros And The Cons, All You Need To Know by lexylexy(m): 9:34pm On Jul 06, 2017
Pascalville:
Guys be advised to use taxify, Taxify is cheaper than uber....I am not a salary earner but I entered taxify 4times this week.. and they re very good, I rated their drivers 5stars...they know all the routes. also try max-go for power bikes..its awesome...I think I have used it once last week...it was really badass

yeah you might be right because surge can be crazy sometimes on Uber and the rider ends up paying twice the original trip fare.

BTW, am an Uber Driver in need of a car to drive. Anyone with a good car or wants to go into the biz can send me a pm or call 08090969358. tanx.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What A Lagos Driver Was Seen Using As Side Mirror (photos) / 2018 Independence Drive: The Classic Cars That Graced Event (Photos) / Mark Zuckerberg Makes Money That Will Buy $2.5m Pagani In Just 1ยน/2 Mins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.