Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,829 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures (18691 Views)

Banana Island In Pictures / "I Will Tear And Burn My Nigerian Passport, Once I Become Canadian" - Nigerian / Is Nigeria A Visa-free Country To Gambia With My Nigerian Ecowas Passport? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:40pm On Jan 31, 2010
OWERRI: My Nigerian Adventure in Pictures
Submitted by WayoGuy
Source: http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/lounge/21769-owerri-my-nigerian-adventure-pictures.html
Jul 30, 2008
OWERRI: My Nigerian Adventure in Pictures
I have been here in Nigeria for most of July, 2008. While here, my trip to the Eke Onunwa market in Owerri, Imo State, started near this ancient, historic, mud house, of personal significance, in my village. Whenever I go home to Nigeria I always visit this building. Before I leave Nigeria to travel to Washington, I, once again, visit this building. It was from here, on July 21, 2008, that I left to go to Owerri.

I reached Owerri in minutes. This is Okigwe Road as you enter Owerri, just after Orji but before the entrance to the Imo State University.

Further down into the city I finally reached the roundabout (intersection) of Wetheral and Okigwe Roads. This is the former Corporative Commerce Bank Building. The big shinny box that you see in front of the building, which is actually closer to the street than it appears, is a giant-screen, solar-powered, twenty-four-hour television set. It is reportedly the brainchild of the new governor. A giant television on the street! But it looks good o. I was impressed.

Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:41pm On Jan 31, 2010

Okada, Okada, Okada everywhere. We call them I na-aga?
(You dey go?)

I turned left into Douglas Road to change my money to naira before going into the market. This is Ama Hausa on Douglas Road. See all the Mallams waiting to hustle you as you approach. You get dollar? Pound? Euro? Make we go inside. Aboki, Chief, Mazi, Chairman, come now. How much you wan change? Come now, I go give you good price. Come …dollar don fall but I go give you 117. Come

Mallams, Mallams, more Mallams. We call them Ndi oji ego acho ego. They sure perform some good and quick service for those on the run like me.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:44pm On Jan 31, 2010

Dollars? Euros? No amount is too much to change. You be small pikin? Naira dey plenty

After changing my money, Mallams are ready, right there, to sell me suya. Suya is everywhere at Ama Hausa. Finger-licking, mouth-watering, juicy suya. I snapped this picture as this man was picking up the pieces that I selected.

As I passed this man’s quarters, his own meat appeared more delicious than the one before. I had to take this picture. If you use suya to make juju for me eh, you go catch me fast!

This one was selling suya and chicken too! So I stopped and bought some chicken as well while I snapped another picture. I was happy.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by platinumnk(f): 4:46pm On Jan 31, 2010
ahhhh. . . . . . owerri . . . my home sweet home o . . . . . kiss
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:47pm On Jan 31, 2010

More sellers and buyers. These ones were selling used clothes, imported, of course. These clothes are dumped in a heap right in the middle of the market square as customers sift through them. Just imagining who might have worn those clothes somewhere in Belgium, Spain, U.S.A before they arrived in Owerri made me cringe. But I moved on because, at this time, I was happy. Philosophical ruminations about “Okirika” clothes could wait for another
day!

Come see my favorite food. Unyere (banana) is sold in 100 or 200 or 400 Naira batches. These bananas are straight from natural farms. I couldn’t eat enough. If you know banana like me you can taste the difference between American bananas and Owerri ones. I sat down near the seller and consumed 400-naira worth, which was about seven.

Ube (pear). This woman was selling them five-for-one-hundred naira. I thought I was in heaven even though my family also had pears in our farms in the village. How was I going to carry them? That was my only problem. Besides, whenever I took them to the USA, they were spoiled by the time I reached Washington.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:49pm On Jan 31, 2010

Come see my favorite food. Unyere (banana) is sold in 100 or 200 or 400 Naira batches. These bananas are straight from natural farms. I couldn’t eat enough. If you know banana like me you can taste the difference between American bananas and Owerri ones. I sat down near the seller and consumed 400-naira worth, which was about seven.

Anara (garden eggs) were plenty. But people who come from a town of the same name, Anara town in Imo State, call it mkpuru ofe. In all of Igboland, garden eggs are second in significance only to kola nuts as the preferred means of welcoming visitors to one’s house. I bought five hundred naira worth.

This one, alone, made my day sooooo wonderful! The vendor of these fruits was an eleven year old boy, who told me that he was in secondary school (JSS1). The boy was sharp. Look closely on his table, you will see about ten different types of goods: orange, coconut, pear, ugiri (I don’t know its English name), ukpa (I don’t know its English name), soursop, paw paw, guava, and one at the top right corner whose name I can’t recall now. I was impressed by how organized he was, as he dutifully recorded every sale on his exercise book while I watched and waited for my turn; and he was so excited by my request to take a picture of his goods that, by the time I left him, he had charmed so a big tip out of me that he will remember for life.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:51pm On Jan 31, 2010

Why is it that I bought lots of used Nigerian home movie videos from people peddling them on wheelbarrows? For only 200 Naira for parts 1 and 2, who could resist? Life is good indeed. These are the only spice of nigeriana that never stops giving me joy in my foreign domicile. Only 200 naira (about a dollar fifty cents) for parts 1 and 2!

Garri dey. White one? Brown one? Garri, garri, everywhere. This woman was angry that I took her picture. I took it before she could turn her face away. People generally don’t go into the markets taking pictures. But an explanation that you are from the USA is always a good explanation. Why else would a grown man come into the market to snap a picture of a woman selling garri unless he is crazy like white tourists. She forgave me.

I wanted to buy banana from this woman before I noticed that she was selling toilet rolls too.
Somehow, my mind found it unacceptable to buy banana from a person selling banana in close proximity to toilet tissues. Was she trying to tell the buyers something about the quality of the bananas? What would happen to me after I had eaten the bananas? Anyway, I waited around until she looked away for a second, then I snapped the picture and quickly moved on.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:53pm On Jan 31, 2010

When I finally left the market, walking down to Tetlow Road, looking around like a happy school boy, stopping periodically to put my loads down in order to take more pictures, my shoulders were painfully drooping from the weight of my purchases. But the happiness from the plastic bags in both hands, full of goods, relieved my pain.

It was while I was walking through the streets that the sight of this police officer and the motorist reminded me that I was in Naija. You know the routine now. Police must stop motorists to ask for “papers”. You know the kind of papers they want to see now. You be small pikin? But fear catch me small as I come begin wonder how I go take the picture. I had to wait until this officer turned his back before I snapped the photo quick. Look further ahead; you will see his partners doing police “work” too.

For only Fifty Naira, Okada will take you just about anywhere within a reasonable distance. From this route along Ikenegbu Layout I had to make a social visit after the joyful shopping. As Naija people, you know we must have relatives and friends in every city that we can visit without prior notice. I am not an exception.

Right there on Ikenegbu and Mbari Street intersection, even yellow fever wey dey direct traffic go step down from her booth once in a while to ask Okada men whether they get “something” for “cold water”. But I like them too. Any person who is doing honest begging is good in my book.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:55pm On Jan 31, 2010

As I passed this street, and the Okada man carrying me is speeding, I am so happy that I raised my camera and snapped just because I am happy.

As I passed this Diamond Bank building on Item Street, on my way back to my village, leaving Owerri behind, I just kept snapping … happily. I just kept snapping. I was happy because I knew that at my mother’s house Food is Ready. Even the famous Ofe Owerri (Owerri Soup) cannot compete with mama’s soup. I was happy.

Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by ezeagu(m): 4:56pm On Jan 31, 2010
People wear used clothes in the same Belgium, UK and USA, so what's the cringing? As long as its washed its good to go.

Is there a way to resize the pictures.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 4:58pm On Jan 31, 2010

Here is the State Library: It is still there

Here are pictures of Ama J.K. Very clean. I did not see any motor park there.

Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by aloyemeka2: 5:01pm On Jan 31, 2010

Here are three angles of the Roundabout of Wetheral and Okigwe Roads

Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by ajalio(f): 5:38pm On Jan 31, 2010
@aloy-emeka

yeah, aloy-emeka,
wonderful, simply wonderful. I like the photos very much. Thanks a lot.
I have already heard from many people that Owerri should be very nice.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by ajalio(f): 5:45pm On Jan 31, 2010
sorry,
of course is very nice and not should be very nice. wink

my mistake
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by Jaylon(m): 7:13pm On Jan 31, 2010
Nice pictures, but emeka, this thread belongs in the travel section not politics
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by THEAMAKA(f): 7:21pm On Jan 31, 2010
OWERRI OOOOOOOOO!!!  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
these pics are sooooooo old though. (i think)
okadas are long gone and the place, from what i've heard, looks a lot cleaner and better.
but this is the market side anyway, so i guess its supposed to look like that.

my mom bought some land in the really nice residential side of owerri and will soon build her estate there, can't wait. so then i can really see the city. smiley

Jaylon:

Nice pictures, but emeka, this thread belongs in the travel section not politics
yep.  wink
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by ReachRich(m): 7:59pm On Jan 31, 2010
Emeka why did it take u so long to start this tread?These pictures do not depict the present situantn in Owerri.Okada has long been banned in the city.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by SEFAGO(m): 8:06pm On Jan 31, 2010
So this is the best owerri could offer undecided

Anyways looks like a typical Nigerian bush to me
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by THEAMAKA(f): 8:08pm On Jan 31, 2010
SEFAGO:

So this is the best owerri could offer undecided

Anyways looks like a typical Nigerian bush to me
im not surprised you would come barking in here.
this is the MARKET side if you read the initial post.
the real Owerri looks far better than this.
and these pics are from 2008, okadas have been eliminated since so it's not as dirty as it used to be.
but don't expect too much, it's just the market side.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by asha80(m): 8:11pm On Jan 31, 2010
THE AMAKA:

im not surprised you would come barking in here.
this is the MARKET side if you read the initial post.
the real Owerri looks far better than this.
and these pics are from 2008, okadas have been eliminated since so it's not as dirty as it used to be.
but don't expect too much, it's just the market side.

Why are you taking Sefago's bait?You should know him by now.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by SEFAGO(m): 8:38pm On Jan 31, 2010
asha 80:

Why are you taking Sefago's bait?You should know him by now.

grin True

The place looks like crap though, market or no market grin
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by THEAMAKA(f): 8:41pm On Jan 31, 2010
SEFAGO:

grin True

The place looks like crap though, market or no market grin
okay you have said your piece so carry go. tongue
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by SEFAGO(m): 8:50pm On Jan 31, 2010
THE AMAKA:

okay you have said your piece so carry go. tongue

Was I talking to you? Irritating c.u.n.t. I was talking to my brother in arms asha80 who is already used to my tantrums. Anyways the place is an eyesore. I think we should be planning how to revamp owerri

What do you all think?

By the way what state in Nigeria is owerri in because i seriously dont know grin
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by platinumnk(f): 9:58pm On Jan 31, 2010
SEFAGO:

Was I talking to you? Irritating c.u.n.t. I was talking to my brother in arms asha80 who is already used to my tantrums. Anyways the place is an eyesore. I think we should be planning how to revamp owerri

What do you all think?

By the way what state in Nigeria is owerri in because i seriously dont know grin

na by force to post always looking to bash igbos smiley smiley

i looove owerri, where r pics of the stadium?

mm love going there watching the hot guys play basketball. . . cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by ezeagu(m): 10:47pm On Jan 31, 2010
Amaka when a 'man' calls you a c**t thats where all communication with him should end.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by THEAMAKA(f): 10:53pm On Jan 31, 2010
i don't take his crap seriously.
we're all thugs on the net. tongue

anyway ezeagu smiley
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:55pm On Jan 31, 2010
THE AMAKA:

we're all thugs on the net. tongue

Internet gangsters are funny grin
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by SEFAGO(m): 11:25pm On Jan 31, 2010
ezeagu:

Amaka when a 'man' calls you a c**t thats where all communication with him should end.

That would make my day. I really see no advantages interacting with an irritating poster. Never used the word in my life but just seems apt for this girl.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by olafolarin(m): 12:08am On Feb 01, 2010
ezeagu:

ahahahaha, lipsrsealed shocked grin cheesy,

we are so funny on NL
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by abadaba(m): 1:21am On Feb 01, 2010
Sefago, abi wetin dem dey call you. Owerri is in Arugo state. Now that you have known that, what are you gonna do with it?.
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by SEFAGO(m): 3:06am On Feb 01, 2010
abadaba:

Sefago, abi wetin dem dey call you. Owerri is in Arugo state. Now that you have known that, what are you gonna do with it?.

Well we need to pray for Arugo state. Who is the governor of arugo state, so that I can write petition letters to complain about the state of affairs of his state.

Anyways I will quickly google where owerri is grin
Re: Owerri: My Nigerian Adventure In Pictures by Nobody: 3:10am On Feb 01, 2010
SEFAGO:

Well we need to pray for Arugo state. Who is the governor of arugo state, so that I can write petition letters to complain about the state of affairs of his state.

Anyways I will quickly google where owerri is grin
grin grin grin grin grin

You really should stop, Nigeria needs prayer, period grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Wives / Train Hits A Trailer In Kawo Kaduna / Payment For Trolley At Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.