Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,870 members, 7,798,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:12 PM

Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! (1811 Views)

Please Help Me Become A Programmer If You Can / I Need A Programmer To Develop This Algorithm Into App / Top 10 Movies A Programmer Must Watch. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 06, 2017
1. Never say die altitude:
You need this to survive in the IT industry , some applications you will build in future can appear extremely difficult and sometimes you just want to either quit or abandoned the project,

but as a good programmer, you will never sleep nor rest until you solve that problem.

2. Programmers play chess, PlayStation etc rather than watching football or fighting over Chelsea , Arsenal etc .

I might be wrong , but most programmers including myself find Chess as a tool to improve my problem solving skills. I started playing chess like 2 years ago and am not that far from a Grandmaster rating , but I can confirm that my problem solving skills has really improved. (encourage your kids to play chess, scrabble, and also PlayStation.. it helps)

3. Internet is my best friend:
Am sure a lot of programmers will agree with me on this one,
we just believe with
Google
Stackoverflow
Github
IT ebooks
most importantly YouTube
sometimes (Nairaland)

we can solve any project and whenever we have problems, we can also reference them.

4. Building Applications on a new framework

Whether your learning Angular, Firebase, MongoDb, etc,
programmers must learn to build something no matter how small it looks, with your newly acquired knowledge, (Preferably An application that performs the basic CRUD operations,
for newbies
Create
Read
Update
Delete

that's what CRUD stands for)
failure to do this will only you a knowledgeable programmer lacking practical skills

5. Databases
I remember when I was still in the University learning Java, I was pretty good at building Console screen applications,
but I later realized that Database is highly important, it wasn't late so I started learning Jdbc, mysql, etc.
Without knowledge of databases

how can you store your data?

If you don't learn your database operations and integration, your like a person going to fetch water without a bucket.

6. UI design
Learning Photoshop is challenging but I won't say much on this,
simply put , go and learn it , thank me later

7. You can never be the best Programmer in the world because no one is the best programmer not even the founder of the programming language your using or even mark the Facebook guy.

get that mentality off your head, you only work hard to learn the important drills of programming, and also learn to work with others, never feel like your the best programmer in your class, office or any where. be humble.

how do I know these things?

Well, I currently work as a programmer in a leading firm, Am not too happy where I am now but I can always improve.

I always wish my younger generation (or youths of this country) do better than my time, rather than engaging on Tribal wars,
Start building something...

I hope I touched someone today!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by francollimasso: 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2017
the day I discovered this myself, I became a better programmer. thanks to nairaland programming section.
you made alot of sense, good work

2 Likes

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by badthinds: 10:25pm On Jul 06, 2017
The first day I saw a computer program...I felt something...like First Love !!! grin

Since I was born...I've never liked football, despite the 'yabbing' my friends and siblings chuk me. I can't even mention 4 players in ManU (I'll try to catch up).

I can't play football games, but I play chess alot.

But

Doing things programmers seldom do will make you unique and stand out! So DONT limit yourself.

1 Like

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by lovemaths(f): 11:05pm On Jul 06, 2017
I am a graduate of Computer Science. I love codes. I just finished udacity's Android development course and I am learning java now. Nice post! cool

3 Likes

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 07, 2017
nice article
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Desyner: 4:58pm On Jul 07, 2017
Provision of long-lasting power source like inverter and double cell laptop battery.
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by danidee10(m): 9:44pm On Jul 07, 2017
Wrong! I'm an Arsenal Fan. cheesy

And at my previous job. We had a lot of football fans (Even a lady).

Aside from that.... The other points are solid.

1 Like

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by bet9ja(m): 9:47pm On Jul 08, 2017
Nice write-up, but you got things wrong regarding the soccer aspect, do you know that predicting soccer outcome can also improve your analytical thinking? Maybe you need to try.

1 Like

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 09, 2017
You're wrong about no 1, my bro Issa programmer and he's also a core united fan.

3 Likes

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 09, 2017
francollimasso:
the day I discovered this myself, I became a better programmer. thanks to nairaland programming section.
you made alot of sense, good work
link to your portfolio?

1 Like

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by francollimasso: 5:16pm On Jul 09, 2017
bjhaid:
link to your portfolio?
you know we are in a faceless forum, I can't reveal myself here.
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 09, 2017
francollimasso:
you know we are in a faceless forum, I can't reveal myself here.
i'm not talking about revealing yourself, I mean the link to your portfolio where I can view your works.
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by francollimasso: 5:56pm On Jul 09, 2017
bjhaid:
i'm not talking about revealing yourself, I mean the link to your portfolio where I can view your works.
ok
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by airsaylongcon: 12:06am On Jul 10, 2017
Developer that cannot drop his github.com link is that one a developer?

@Op, chess grandmaster After just 2 years. Do u play for 18 hours daily?

1 Like

Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by yorex2011: 6:55am On Jul 10, 2017
airsaylongcon:

Lol.. I love football and chess tho... Started playing video games at 6 i think, chess at 8, football stuffs started around 12. And I'm nowhere near the GM lol.

But we get his point tho
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 8:44am On Jul 10, 2017
airsaylongcon:

lol, he must have won medals at the Olympiad grin grin
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 10, 2017
francollimasso:

I can't drop that, let me give you links to few of my works.
mml.com.ng,baffuponline.com
mitaneon.com, Pako.com.ng, deliziafds.com,eazyhire.com.ng, womenofrubies.com, mademenmusicgroup.com.ng, bringingpeopletogether.today, just a few I can remember now. I cant mention the mobile app because is against company terms & conditions. I have developed more than 30 app that I can't mention here trust me for security reasons
this your case is seerious o
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jul 10, 2017
airsaylongcon:

Am currently rated 1922 on lichess.org
Yeah, the brain works differently smiley

Thanks for asking..

Moreover, I always watch chess matches, also follow chess tournaments on YouTube, so I guess that helped
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by airsaylongcon: 11:12pm On Jul 10, 2017
Ezechinwa:

Am currently rated 1922 on lichess.org
Yeah, the brain works differently smiley

Thanks for asking..

Moreover, I always watch chess matches, also follow chess tournaments on YouTube, so I guess that helped

Without hating on you bro, that is nowhere near GM. Kudos though. Me that learnt chess years ago I never get rating
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by francollimasso: 7:53pm On Jul 11, 2017
bjhaid:
this your case is seerious o
kindly edit your post, just the way I did mine. tnx
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 11, 2017
airsaylongcon:

Without hating on you bro, that is nowhere near GM. Kudos though. Me that learnt chess years ago I never get rating

yeah, i know...
I didn't say I was a grandmaster though, but have defeated some grandmasters. hopefully, I will someday.
Being taken some courses from a few GMs, so it's just my mentality lol, i always believe i will get there someday.
thanks have a great day
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by nello111: 12:24am On Jul 12, 2017
Currently i am learning in web development and programming. But the course i study in school does not relate with computers, can i get a job with my knowledge or do i still require to get a degree on a computer related course. Cos when i graduate i want to be a full time computer programmer and web developer
Re: Habits You Should Develop As A Programmer! by Nobody: 3:03am On Jul 12, 2017
nello111:
Currently i am learning in web development and programming. But the course i study in school does not relate with computers, can i get a job with my knowledge or do i still require to get a degree on a computer related course. Cos when i graduate i want to be a full time computer programmer and web developer

Yes, you definitely can get that dream job.
let me tell you a little working secret.
Start by developing applications (solving real problems) host it on GitHub or any active server,
this would serve as a strong portfolio of your milestones achieved.
Try to be the best, learn from the best in the field.
Also, getting a related certification like Java, Net framework etc,
would also make your IT career boost faster.

If money no dey my brother, buy a data plan,
laptop and start coding then see where it takes you.

hope this helps.
it is not easy but it is better to try and give it your best than not trying at all

(1) (Reply)

How To Earn $100 Per Day By Admob Booster From Google Admob ? / What Is Pushing You Back In Web Development? / Programmers In The House, Pls Come To My Rescue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.