Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,014 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:29 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (1990664 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (1634) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pakingzzz(m): 3:25pm On Jul 14, 2015
Guess we've all heard Solar tracker, a vital device in solar system, i don't know if it's already been
mentioned in one of the numerous pages;
Haven't heard of a company nor individual installing it.
I bet it's a nice investment to make considering the fact it can recover from 40%-60% of the energy from the sun.
To practically test this assertion, I've tried measuring the amps on an 80w solar panel that i pointed directly to the sun. I got around 6.8A.
When pointed at 30 degrees away from the sun I got around 3.5A.
But at 45 degrees to the sun the meter reads 1.8A.
Suffice to say this experiment was done around 2.00pm with the sun clearly visible and no obstructing clouds.
You might try that on your own and you would be amazed at the energy that is being wasted using fixed solar panel.
I want to commence building these solar trackers at affordable prices and selling them here in Nigeria. I have already ordered all the parts I would be needing to build it from Aliexpress and Ebay.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pakingzzz(m): 6:20pm On Jul 14, 2015
I also have some new batteries and Mppt charge controllers that I am offering for sale. They were the remains of a project I did for a client of mine. They were supposed to be used for a solar project but were set aside when some couple dozens of 12v 600ah American specs batteries arrived the scene .
The specs of the batteries are as follows;
Model: Storace SRG100-12 valve regulated gel cell.
Voltage: 12v
Capacity: 100ah
The batteries goes for N17,000 per piece..
The specs of the Mppt charge controller are as follows;
Input voltage: 12v-100v
Output voltage: 12v/24v
Output power: 120w(12v), 240w(24v)
The Mppt charge controllers goes for N8,000 per piece..
Below are the pictures of the batteries and Mppt charge controller...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:34pm On Jul 14, 2015
Pakingzzz:
Guess we've all heard Solar tracker, a vital device in solar system, i don't know if it's already been
mentioned in one of the numerous pages;
Haven't heard of a company nor individual installing it.
I bet it's a nice investment to make considering the fact it can recover from 40%-60% of the energy from the sun.
To practically test this assertion, I've tried measuring the amps on an 80w solar panel that i pointed directly to the sun. I got around 6.8A.
When pointed at 30 degrees away from the sun I got around 3.5A.
But at 45 degrees to the sun the meter reads 1.8A.
Suffice to say this experiment was done around 2.00pm with the sun clearly visible and no obstructing clouds.
You might try that on your own and you would be amazed at the energy that is being wasted using fixed solar panel.
I want to commence building these solar trackers at affordable prices and selling them here in Nigeria. I have already ordered all the parts I would be needing to build it from Aliexpress and Ebay.

high cost of procurement has always been the disadvantage of trackers. You may however oversize ur array a little bit to compensate for losese due to angle of inclination. Your controller must be very smart at performing HVD.

also, I am sure the mechanical parts of the trackers will fail after few years of use.( refer to ur motorised dish).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 10:35pm On Jul 14, 2015
Trackers also become difficult to implement when the array becomes large.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 12:43am On Jul 15, 2015
life707:

Its amazing how people apply theory with out practical.
We all know that a 16mm cable can take up to a 100A if its pure copper.
Please I don't think you should say more as you promised.

Every one is learning. rather than chastise teach. They come to this forum seeking knowledge or correction of long held notions. The American wire chart is correct if you use awg as your size which some people do.
Brothers and sisters don't be afraid to ask for clarification. I prefer to be called stupid than be quiet and smart and burn my house down. We all can contribute to improving our community and society.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 6:07am On Jul 15, 2015
chris81964:

Every one is learning. rather than chastise teach. They come to this forum seeking knowledge or correction of long held notions. The American wire chart is correct if you use awg as your size which some people do.
Brothers and sisters don't be afraid to ask for clarification. I prefer to be called stupid than be quiet and smart and burn my house down. We all can contribute to improving our community and society.

It really amazes me how people respond here as if they have monopoly of knowledge, the last time I checked, this is a DIY thread and I bet the most professional and the least professional here picks something from each other.

Let us try to contribute responsibly and also help each other as much as we can and as well respect each others' opinion and contributions.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pakingzzz(m): 9:38am On Jul 15, 2015
abunafiu:

high cost of procurement has always been the disadvantage of trackers. You may however oversize ur array a little bit to compensate for losese due to angle of inclination.
Yes the high cost of procurement has always been the
disadvantage of trackers, that is because we buy from the oversees.
That i intend to tackle. I am making arrangements on a platform that will enable an individual to acquire a solar tracker that can accommodate a total capacity of 600w solar panel arrays at roughly N12,000 or lower along with 1year guarantee.
Oversizing your array a little bit to compensate for
losese due to angle of inclination would waste more money than it would if you had acquired a solar tracker, and in such case you would have as much chance of surviving as a scoop of ice cream dropped into a furnace.
As the sun moves across the sky it spends roughly two hours when it is directly above your solar panel, anything more than that and it begins to move away from the direct view of panel and such is how the efficiency of the solar panel drops off.

abunafiu:

also, I am sure the mechanical parts of the trackers will fail after few years of use.( refer to ur motorised dish).

There you go; the typical Nigerian mentality.
Are you saying that because I am going to build it, therefore it won't last and the mechanical parts of the tracker will fail after two years? Like hell you sure sounded as sure as you could ever be.
What will make it fail?
I bet you aint into building technical stuffs, that dopey remark you just made sure clinches it. You definitely sound to me like a theoretical man..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 10:19am On Jul 15, 2015
chris81964:

If it weren't for your post, I'd already chosen elective mutism. After all, I have tried different cables with different current strengths and differing wire types. I'm speaking from experience not textbook stuff. The books are for guidance; the real world varies, even with identical equipment under comparable conditions. The solar forum is relatively new to me but electrical systems and electronics are not. I simply offered advise on what is safe rather than what "works". No worries, it won't happen again.

Thanks Abu and Chris
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:04am On Jul 15, 2015
Abeg you'all should calm down, we're all here to learn and have fun... grin

i finally doubled my battery bank, i'll monitor if production will increase. Pics coming soon...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by richmon74(m): 12:41pm On Jul 15, 2015
life707:

Its amazing how people apply theory with out practical.
We all know that a 16mm cable can take up to a 100A if its pure copper.
Please I don't think you should say more as you promised.

grin cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bode4real(m): 12:46pm On Jul 15, 2015
@all
Which is better or rugged to power fluctuations a bit. Sukam, sinergy, miicrotek, luminous or prag.? Somebody need to make decision. Pls help. Hes lookin btw 1.4,or 2kva
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 3:33pm On Jul 15, 2015
please house i need guide for a friend,he uses 24v system @800ah power of battery so he wants my help on solar package.with my calculations i suggest 175/200 watt panel of 10 pieces....i want your observation to my calculation if am wrong please thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 4:07pm On Jul 15, 2015
temizeee:
please house i need guide for a friend,he uses 24v system @800ah power of battery so he wants my help on solar package.with my calculations i suggest 175/200 watt panel of 10 pieces....i want your observation to my calculation if am wrong please thanks

I am sure you based your conclusion on some information you did not supply.
What loads does he intend to power?
How many hours for each load.
Multiply the load by the hours.
Add up your totals and that gives you your watt hours.
Divide that number by the hours of peak sunshine (anywhere from 4 to 6 hours)
That will give you how many watts you need in panels.
Now the calculation for the batteries will be taken off your total watt hours and then factor in your depth of discharge.
I hope this helped

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 4:27pm On Jul 15, 2015
chris81964:

I am sure you based your conclusion on some information you did not supply.
What loads does he intend to power?
How many hours for each load.
Multiply the load by the hours.
Add up your totals and that gives you your watt hours.
Divide that number by the hours of peak sunshine (anywhere from 4 to 6 hours)
That will give you how many watts you need in panels.
Now the calculation for the batteries will be taken off your total watt hours and then factor in your depth of discharge.
I hope this helped
thanks buddy Actually he is already using d inverter setup with phcn.he only needs to implement solar..i know abt all d calculation u give i was just asking if d panel will be fine with d setup in real world you know
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 8:22pm On Jul 15, 2015
temizeee:

thanks buddy Actually he is already using d inverter setup with phcn.he only needs to implement solar..i know abt all d calculation u give i was just asking if d panel will be fine with d setup in real world you know

temizee I will issue a disclaimer. Without knowing the loads I can't give you an answer.

Now for my educated guess. 24 V system will need an 80 amp charge controller with 2 kw in panels.
Based on some of the smaller systems I have installed if you manage it well, it should be more than adequate

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 10:50pm On Jul 15, 2015
chris81964:

temizee I will issue a disclaimer. Without knowing the loads I can't give you an answer.

Now for my educated guess. 24 V system will need an 80 amp charge controller with 2 kw in panels.
Based on some of the smaller systems I have installed if you manage it well, it should be more than adequate
thanks i copy that
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 11:56pm On Jul 15, 2015
At my friend's house imagine an installer installing 8 pieces of 80watt panel on a 24v 800ah setup!!! he also put some crazy heatsink in a box n fix it on d wall calling it charge controller grin grin grin it doesn/t look like pwm/mppt and d worst part is he collected a very HUGE amount of money.
It would be better if he collects more money and he does a satisfying job..........don't know y some local made installer does rubbish n call it job
#just_saying_tho
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:47am On Jul 16, 2015
bode4real:
@all
Which is better or rugged to power fluctuations a bit. Sukam, sinergy, miicrotek, luminous or prag.? Somebody need to make decision. Pls help. Hes lookin btw 1.4,or 2kva

Hello Bode,,how u dey? pls exclude "microtek" outta d list 1st. Safe power,sukam or luminous is ok. Pls always ensure u use auto voltage regulators/stabilizers. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 8:25am On Jul 16, 2015
temizeee:
At my friend's house imagine an installer installing 8 pieces of 80watt panel on a 24v 800ah setup!!! he also put some crazy heatsink in a box n fix it on d wall calling it charge controller grin grin grin it doesn/t look like pwm/mppt and d worst part is he collected a very HUGE amount of money.
It would be better if he collects more money and he does a satisfying job..........don't know y some local made installer does rubbish n call it job
#just_saying_tho
good morning Bro, I need u to please put me through on how to connect a 12v & 24v system to a solar array
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 9:22am On Jul 16, 2015
kiekie1:

Hello Bode,,how u dey? pls exclude "microtek" outta d list 1st. Safe power,sukam or luminous is ok. Pls always ensure u use auto voltage regulators/stabilizers. Thanks
mr kiekie i called u in d dusk yesterday really need d 60A cc
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 9:40am On Jul 16, 2015
Penuelseun:
good morning Bro, I need u to please put me through on how to connect a 12v & 24v system to a solar array
Guess u are diy person? Actually i did like to refer you to professional installers in d house (richmond,c0ogumo n more) what is yr location? Ideally 12v system is cool for simple house load u will need to know yr total house load if it exceeds 500watt/h then i will advice u to go for 24v system..........
NOW ANS. TO YR QUE.Your inverter system will determine d kind of solar setup. if itz 12v u go for solar panel like 80,90,100,130,upto 180 watt if itz 24v system then i will advice u to go for 200watt,230,250solar panel
Yr total output current from solar panels determines CC u will need
Am just giving layman's idea....u will need to calculate total capacity of yr battery bank(if u already got one running) d panel,CC,cables n more. ...feel free to ask more question
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:10pm On Jul 16, 2015
[quote author=temizeee post=35919558]mr kiekie i called u in d dusk yesterday really need d 60A cc[/qu

Ok. I was busy driving when your call came in and I must tell you categorically that i can't offer 60a MPPT CC for 60k . Thanks!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:16pm On Jul 16, 2015
temizeee:
mr kiekie i called u in d dusk yesterday really need d 60A cc
Ok. I was busy driving when your call came in and I must tell you categorically that i can't offer 60a MPPT CC for 60k . Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 12:42pm On Jul 16, 2015
kiekie1:

will call yu sooner wen my pocket is upto..........
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Pakingzzz(m): 2:08pm On Jul 16, 2015
temizeee:

Why not buy these Mppt chargers from Aliexpress or EBay? Must you buy it so costly in Nigeria.. I saw a lot of 60a Mppt charge controllers for about N45,000 to N50,000. Why not make a go at it Temizee...

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:45pm On Jul 16, 2015
HURRY HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

USA TROJAN L16-RE Premium Line Flooded Lead Acid Battery 6V (410AH)20hr Rate ..... @ 75k

USA TROJAN J185P-AC Signature Line Flooded Lead-Acid Battery 12V (205AH) 20hr Rate .... "STILL OUT OF STOCK".

USA OUTBACK mppt charge controller (FM 80)

Midnite Solar Surge arrestor "DC & AC Models" ............ @ call for price

The EP Solar "I TRACER" 60a mppt controller is simply rugged compared to Morningstar price and has excellent features like: -inbuilt LCD display,
-high efficiency energy harvest with advanced mppt algorithm
-dual core (ARM CPU+DSP) control architecture
-run data and event recording
-multi phase synchronous rectification tech realizing peak conversion efficiency 98%
-high reliabilty including reverse connection, over current and load short protection etc
-diversified load control mode
-monitor software supplement and firmware update
-extensive communication capabilities (RS232, RS485 with modbus protocol, CAN bus extendable)...@ call for price

MUST POWER 2kw 12v, 2kw 24, 3kw 24v,3kw 48v , 6kw 24v,6kw 48v pure sinewave LCD power inverter " Inbuilt 35/70a Peak Charging Current" .... (In Stock)

Bluegate pure sinewave inverters (1kva 12v, 2kva 24v, 3.5kva 24v, 5.5kva 24v) .... In Stock

All our products come with 1 year Warranty.

For best affordable prices,contact Smartcell Global Services,Lagos Nigeria. Simply call Sir Frankie "08135031951" for purchase,fast delivery and waybills .. Thanks !!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 3:38pm On Jul 16, 2015
Pakingzzz:

Why not buy these Mppt chargers from Aliexpress or EBay? Must you buy it so costly in Nigeria.. I saw a lot of 60a Mppt charge controllers for about N45,000 to N50,000. Why not make a go at it Temizee...
bros d cost of shipping to naija,n duration to get here is a factor
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ekesonbatteries(m): 3:40pm On Jul 16, 2015
ekesonbatteries:

Yes I am also a silent member and must say Frankie is truly good , trustworthy & dedicated.
very well
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ekesonbatteries(m): 3:48pm On Jul 16, 2015
Get quality batteries @ Ekeson batteries 32 Ezekiel street off toyin street ikeja lagos or call 08169345275.
We sale & service
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Konnektions146(m): 8:03pm On Jul 16, 2015
temizeee:

I have a "used" MUST power 60A MPPT, i changed out in a clients installation- reason for changing- client needed to upgrade to 4000watts of solar and this cannot pull it , so i replaced with an Outback FM80. was performing very well prior to change.

I also have a brand new iTracer 60A MPPT CC.

If you have inte rest you may co nta ct me.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 10:27pm On Jul 16, 2015
temizeee:
Guess u are diy person? Actually i did like to refer you to professional installers in d house (richmond,c0ogumo n more) what is yr location? Ideally 12v system is cool for simple house load u will need to know yr total house load if it exceeds 500watt/h then i will advice u to go for 24v system..........
NOW ANS. TO YR QUE.Your inverter system will determine d kind of solar setup. if itz 12v u go for solar panel like 80,90,100,130,upto 180 watt if itz 24v system then i will advice u to go for 200watt,230,250solar panel
Yr total output current from solar panels determines CC u will need
Am just giving layman's idea....u will need to calculate total capacity of yr battery bank(if u already got one running) d panel,CC,cables n more. ...feel free to ask more question
Thanks Bro, was actually wondering if I should connect my 100watts × 6 solar panels in series or parallel, I have a 12v system
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temizeee(m): 10:54pm On Jul 16, 2015
Penuelseun:
Thanks Bro, was actually wondering if I should connect my 100watts × 6 solar panels in series or parallel, I have a 12v system
which type of CC av u got? Also whatz d amp? should not be lesser than 30A CC..... i will advice yu to connect all in parallel so far u are using simple 12v system
nothing is complicated here bro. mppt will be better here bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (1634) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: dacool1(m), isangjohnson, Danibestguy, Dam5reey(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.