Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (164) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2043046 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) ... (1679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 4:09pm On Aug 23, 2016
Scenario 1: Sunshine
Solar production: 2 kW
Load: 3 kW
---------------
Grid: 1 kW (if available)
(If light is off, then 1 kW from the battery bank)
(If battery bank is empty, then the genset kicks in and supplies the 1 kW to Load, the rest is charged into the battery.)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 4:18pm On Aug 23, 2016
Scenario 2: Sunshine

Solar production (2 kW) > Load (1 kW)
------------------------------------------
The rest (1 kW) is put into the battery bank

That's the reason why I prefer programmable inverters.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 4:37pm On Aug 23, 2016
Here is one more scenario: No.3

Cloudy weather and no light:
Solar production (1 kW) < Load (2 kW)
-------------------------------------
Battery bank will provide 1 kW, until Low Voltage alarm kicks in and the genset is started.

(I have added the grounding.)

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 6:55pm On Aug 23, 2016
Haha Gennextech,

so now I owe you a box of beer?

sunny regards,
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by battleaxe: 7:40pm On Aug 23, 2016
@ilovethesun

I thank you very much for the diagrams sent. I appreciate it and know it will help some other folks reading either now, or in future.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obimind1: 8:37am On Aug 24, 2016
Gud day @ everyone in the house. I have 2*200ah battery on a 24v set up 1.4va inverter, which I have used for over 2years now. I'm planning on adding 2 more 200ah battery so that I can have a longer back up time. The present batteries are not doing bad presently but I'm scared of adding 2 more batteries to avoid one battery bank acting as a load on the other. How can I achieve this dream of having a longer back up time without having more problems at the end of the day? Ur suggestions are highly welcome.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 9:16am On Aug 24, 2016
Obimind1:
Good day @ everyone in the house. I have 2*200ah battery on a 24v set up 1.4va inverter, which I have used for over 2years now. I'm planning on adding 2 more 200ah battery so that I can have a longer back up time. The present batteries are not doing bad presently but I'm scared of adding 2 more batteries to avoid one battery bank acting as a load on the other. How can I achieve this dream of having a longer back up time without having more problems at the end of the day? Ur suggestions are highly welcome.

You already know the answer and the reason why.
So, sell your old pair, and buy four new ones.
(There is a technical solution to the above problem: it's called Battery Balancer. But I will not discuss it here, because it is not cheap >300 USD and you need some good understanding how to wire it correctly.)

But honestly, if you have space on and access to your roof, I'd recommend that you invest your money in a solar panel and a solar charge controller. They will last longer than your lead-acid batteries. Good quality will last up to 25 years. Get a 20 or 30 Amps solar charge controller, and buy a single solar panel, later you can get a second one and then increase your battery capacity.

sunny regards,

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by 2baga(m): 10:00am On Aug 24, 2016
iLoveTheSun:

You already know the answer and the reason why.
So, sell your old pair, and buy four new ones.
(There is a technical solution to the above problem: it's called Battery Balancer. But I will not discuss it here, because it is not cheap >300 USD and you need some good understanding how to wire it correctly.)

But honestly, if you have space on and access to your roof, I'd recommend that you invest your money in a solar panel and a solar charge controller. They will last longer than your lead-acid batteries. Good quality will last up to 25 years. Get a 20 or 30 Amps solar charge controller, and buy a single solar panel, later you can get a second one and then increase your battery capacity.

sunny regards,

How much is a decent solar panel and a charge controller

Please advise on the best set-up for use to power a 3bdr apartment

2 led tvs, 3 ceiling fans, sound system , light bulbs , 1 fridge / 1 freezer

tnx

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by netotse(m): 12:09pm On Aug 24, 2016
Barezzi:

Oh I have voltage switches, relays, contactors...
They switch my backup loads to PHCN based on battery voltage.

I had plans to get a timer to knock off PHCN from 6am to 6pm. What then happens on cloudy days when production is low and consumption high and one of the voltage switches kicks in?

They'd switch to PHCN, but the timer would have already taken it offline!
Except for my booster pump, kitchen tools and Laundry, the backup loads sit comfortably south of 700w daily. Else they hover around 4kw.

So by mid morning, batteries are floating. Pv production gets throttled and wasted. I have thought of introducing a contactor to switch my main loads to inverter during the day once batteries hit absorb or float to maximise self consumption.

Or get a grid interactive inverter.(I get about 20 hours of PHCN daily) The new wahala would then be reconfiguration of my Pv array, and ac coupling with the magnum.

What I want is to maximise self consumption. Grid supply in my hood is very good. I get high estimated bills from them yet I have a multimillion naira RE system always on float!

Sorry for the long winded post, just waking up.

can you connect your charge controller/inverter to a computer? if you can, a raspberry pi could be a cheap way of automating your set up to achieve all you've mentioned.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 1:58pm On Aug 24, 2016
came across this write up, comparing mono and poly panels, it appears while mono may be more expensive to purchase initially, in the long run, they are cheaper than thier cheaper counter part the mono
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/01/31/why-solar-panel-efficiency-matters-more-than-you-t.aspx

How a more expensive panel makes cheaper energy
Consider the table I've laid out below. I'm comparing a single rooftop installation of the same physical size, or number of panels. On the commodity side, I've taken SolarCity's reported total installation cost of $2.90 per watt, its sale price of $4.35 per watt, average panel cost of $0.65 per watt, and then I've broken out the components' total cost. Balance of system (BOS) would be costs like sales, wiring, permitting, and labor, which would be similar for a home installation of similar physical size.

The high-efficiency example uses a much higher cost per watt of $1.00, as an example based on the known production cost of SunPower's panels, and assumes the balance of system and profit components would stay the same.

Commodity Panels

SunPower 21.5% Panels

Size

5 kW

7.2 kW

Panel Cost

$0.65/watt = $3,250

$1.00/watt = $7,200

BOS Cost

$2.25/watt = $11,250

$11,250

Profit

$1.45/watt = $7,250

$7,250

Total Cost

$21,750

$25,700

Cost per Watt

$4.35

$3.57

Source: SolarCity and author's own calculations.

Not surprisingly, the overall cost of the high-efficiency system is higher, but the cost per watt is significantly lower. To put some figures to that, the system's overall cost is 18% lower per watt even though the panels are 54% more costly per watt.

Compounded into this is the fact that mono-crystalline solar panels degrade more slowly. Over time, they will produce more energy than the commodity panels -- meaning even lower cost per unit of energy.

Sunpower Solar Cells
SunPower's cell construction makes it fundamentally different than competitors. Image source: SunPower.

The industry's focus is now on high efficiency
For years, the solar industry has been focused on cutting costs as quickly as possible. But costs can only go so low; as you see above even a 5% or 10% reduction in cost won't have a big impact on a solar system's total cost -- at least in the residential side of the business.

SunPower is the clear efficiency leader with a 21.5% efficient solar panel already in production. As upgraded manufacturing facilities are completed, management says that figure will increase to 23%.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 2:44pm On Aug 24, 2016
@earthrealm

Sorry, but Sunpower back-contact cells and Panasonic joint HIT cells are in a different category than mono.
And poly are not bad per se. Sunpower and Panasonic are the Mercedes. BenQ panels have Sunpower cells incorporated. BenQ offers 335 Watts(peak) panels! That would be my dream panel. If you can only afford a 200 Watts panel? Then you choose a poly from a brand.

And it really depends on the size of the system (string size, V oc of Sunpower is higher) and the available roof space.
And the size of the frames are different as well, e.g. six Sunpower panels don't fit on a standard 6m alloy rail. You can put 5 and then you need to cut.

In general I do agree with you, but please take into consideration that the cost of BOS including workforce is referred to the US. (I have not read the report, though) i.e. in a high cost labor market (US, Northern Europe > 20 USD per hour) then BOS is high as indicated.

Sunpower is often used in conjunction with solar trackers where surface is limited.

But in Nigeria cost of BOS is be much less, so the total cost of poly per Watt is cheaper.

The report is for rich countries.

In terms of quality, I'd rather recommend to choose a brand where you will get warranty in the next 10 years from the manufacturer.

(By the way if I can afford, I choose glass/glass panels from Solarworld as well. They are more durable than panels made of glass/back-sheet foil. But it is tough to get any.)

I think I would be able to build a 100 kWp roof-top system with Korean or Japanese brand panels and European inverters for 1.7 USD per Watts(peak).
a 100 kWp with German brand panels for 1.8 USD per Watts(peak)?! And with Chinese panels for 1.5 - 1.6 USD per Watts(peak)?!

The smaller the system, the higher the specific cost per Watts(peak).

My next topic:
How much is electricity from a solar system?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Reprobate: 2:52pm On Aug 24, 2016
who has used or is using this. does it make sense to buy?
if installed, does it imply 1 can do away with complex cable runs and bus bars for series/parallel connections?

http:///ecostar-ecostar-48-volts-battery-equalizer-2512291
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by iLoveTheSun(m): 2:53pm On Aug 24, 2016
Oh, and profit in the report is too high. Solarcity is basically a financial leasing company. They grew and grew in order to go public. When going public there were many questions about their accounting books how to value all those solar systems in the books. So the fresh money could fill the holes cool
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 3:12pm On Aug 24, 2016
iLoveTheSun:
Oh, and profit in the report is too high. Solarcity is basically a financial leasing company. They grew and grew in order to go public. When going public there were many questions about their accounting books how to value all those solar systems in the books. So the fresh money could fill the holes cool

thanks for the clararification, guess i am still hunting down reasons why i went for the more expensive mono, instead of the cheaper poly grin grin.
doing momo+mppt , appears to be a not so pocket friendly option, maybe i shud hv done poly+mppt, win win
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 3:28pm On Aug 24, 2016
@ ilovethesun,
Lovely drawings, but scenarios 1 and 2 are incorrect for a battery based inverter/charger, e.g Magnum.
Once there's power from the grid, the inverter enters "pass-through" mode. It simply passes gridsupply to the connected loads and charges the battery if low.

So in both scenarios, assuming the batteries are full, the mppt cc will throttle pv production and trickle charge the batteries.
No matter how hot the sun is, it'll only trickle charge. Potential production lost! All power to loads, sourced from the grid.

I'd modify scenario 3 and put a contactor between the ATS and your breaker box. It'll only energize on low battery, allowing grid/gen to pass-through. Effectively using the grid as back up.

What are your thoughts on buying a large battery bank as against supplementing a small bank with a generator.
Cost-wise, i'd go with the latter... If properly sized, the gen might run once a year or never grin tongue
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 3:57pm On Aug 24, 2016
netotse:

can you connect your charge controller/inverter to a computer? if you can, a raspberry pi could be a cheap way of automating your set up to achieve all you've mentioned.

The ability to connect a computer directly is not available.
There's an RJ45 connector on both which require a Hub/Mate 3.
I suspect its for view only, not sure one can fiddle with any software settings...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 4:25pm On Aug 24, 2016
Brothers. I need help/suppliers/suggestions for a 15KVA / 20 KVA inverter system. It is required for a High Performance computer setup that requires pick load of 9900Watt of power. This is meant for highly rated computational science research. High end (US, Europe ) product will be considered.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 5:50pm On Aug 24, 2016
bigrovar:
Brothers. I need help/suppliers/suggestions for a 15KVA / 20 KVA inverter system. It is required for a High Performance computer setup that requires pick load of 9900Watt of power. This is meant for highly rated computational science research. High end (US, Europe ) product will be considered.
The Schneider Xw+ or the SMA 8.0 SI will do the job. You can parallel or stack 2 to get your 20 Kva. You can do the same with two Quattro (Victron) so many choices.
I can sell you the Schneider if you decide to go for that choice. We don't have the SMA in stock but we can source it for you.
They are all 48V inverters. And I will advice that you use 2V batteries for the job.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 9:05am On Aug 25, 2016
GeorgeD1:
skalamanga,

going back to my earlier example above, it even gets better when you think of solar as a means of continuos power supply and not just like a generator which you start and stop every now and then.
let's say you have a solar power system which supplies you steady power during the day and a back-up system that supplies you power all through the night, the difference between solar and generators becomes just staggering!
if i were to run my generator on a 24hr (or minimum of 12hrs) basis like i was using an inverter, here's what we'll be talking about:

let's rewind:
30ltrs in 1 wk of roughly 3 hrs use daily becomes: 40 litres in 12hrs or 80litrs in 24hrs.
we will stick with the 12hrs minimum use option.
40ltr/day becomes 1,200 litres/month
at the present pump price of 65naira/ltr, this becomes: 1,200*65=  78,000 naira per month.
in a year that amounts to: 78000*12 =  936,000 naira per year
assuming pump price remains the same (which will be virtually impossible), in 25yrs, this becomes:

936,000*25 =  23,400,000 naira.

here it is! if you were to run a 5ka petrol generator for at least 12hrs everyday, you'll end up spending about 23.4 million naira in 25yrs at the present pump price but as we all know, the pump price can never remain the same over that long a period.
now the big one: if you were to run that same generator for 24hrs everyday (which you can achieve with a solar power system) you will end up spending 2 times that amount in 25yrs:

46,800,000 naira!

for less than one-tenth of this amount, you can install a solar power system that gives you trouble free operation for over 25yrs!

now, who still says solar is expensive?  wink

edited

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 10:18am On Aug 25, 2016
Goodday all
Being putting the system through its paces.

See below some of the readings

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 10:22am On Aug 25, 2016
More

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 11:21am On Aug 25, 2016
Dunka, that 145Vp is too close to 150Vp! shocked
This na just wet season, what happens when dry season reach?
Your cc will be damaged if that voltage level is breached!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Braaad: 12:26pm On Aug 25, 2016
@Kiekie1 Thank you for the prompt delivery of the solar panels, mounting rack and accessories...... I got them all in one piece down here in Akwa Ibom. You even sent the pieces that was left out in our last transaction grin grin. that shows you are really an honest man. If anyone needs panels and accessories delivered to him fast ...meet kiekie1. He delivers fast.

Upload of my installation will be coming soon

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 12:57pm On Aug 25, 2016
Barezzi:
wow. I thought that, the charge controller is designed with the ability to handle such variation, with + and - tolerances.

Kindly advise further
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:26pm On Aug 25, 2016
Braaad:
@Kiekie1 Thank you for the prompt delivery of the solar panels, mounting rack and accessories...... I got them all in one piece down here in Akwa Ibom. You even sent the pieces that was left out in our last transaction grin grin. that shows you are really an honest man. If anyone needs panels and accessories delivered to him fast ...meet kiekie1. He delivers fast.

Upload of my installation will be coming soon

I am highly honoured and humbled .. Thanks and call upon me anytime !

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:29pm On Aug 25, 2016
DUNKA:
wow. I thought that, the charge controller is designed with the ability to handle such variation, with + and - tolerances.

Kindly advise further

Hello bro,kindly change to 3x3 config cos 4x4 has its (HVD/OVD)disadvantages on sensitive mppt cc esp at dry sunny season . Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 1:35pm On Aug 25, 2016
DUNKA:

Kindly advise further

There's a thread in here on stringing ur panels to at-least twice the battery voltage.
So you should have 2 panels in series or at most 3, whilst ensuring the Voc stays around 100Vdc...

Mine hovers around 90 to 100Vdc region, but goes lower under load.
Other users will share their experience.

See an old pic i took many moons ago... I'll post more when i get home.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 2:14pm On Aug 25, 2016
Barezzi:

There's a thread in here on stringing ur panels to at-least twice the battery voltage.
So you should have 2 panels in series or at most 3, whilst ensuring the Voc stays around 100Vdc...

Mine hovers around 90 to 100Vdc region, but goes lower under load.
Other users will share their experience.

See an old pic i took many moons ago... I'll post more when i get home.
thanks a million
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 2:15pm On Aug 25, 2016
kiekie1:

Hello bro,kindly change to 3x3 config cos 4x4 has its (HVD/OVD)disadvantages on sensitive mppt cc esp at dry sunny season . Thanks
much appreciated
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 2:20pm On Aug 25, 2016
kiekie1:

Installer will be over the weekend installing the Outback mate 3 which I received today. Will discuss with the reconfiguration.

Regards
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 2:40pm On Aug 25, 2016
Barezzi:
I have quite a few installations with numbers that periodically see 140 143 145.
What is the VOC of your panels? Use that as your guide. It is cooler now and your panels will over perform. Look at the back of your panels tell us what the short circuit voltage is and then multiply by 4.

(1) (2) (3) ... (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) ... (1679) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: deking(m), luvlyoracle(m), xclusive43(m), AllyPolly, Mcderu(m), litaninja(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.